• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pop Culture Art/Posters/Prints Thread (Mondo/ACME/Dark Hall Mansion/etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
6788456265_778f00b220_o.png

Wonderful! Though, seeing as how it has a variant, it likely means it won't be a timed release so us gaffers have a chance at one huh?

6796435333_47cd6d18ab_z.jpg

6796436409_bbaea1c396.jpg

Olly wrote:

Ibo wrote:
You still going to base the run on the pokemons on there rarity?

Rough plan is to do a timed edition of the first 3 where you can only pick ONE of the starting 3 (like in the game) then, once I've finished the other 148, do a randomized sale where you have no idea which ones you'll get - and rarity of individual dudes will affect your chances. Also I'm hoping this would encourage trading. Just ideas. Being candid in this thread today.

Meier

Whoa, Olly himself posts here on GAF? Awesome. Saw the Pokemon on Twitter the other day and absolutely fell in love.. that Bowser/Peach poster is just plain glorious.

Regarding the Drive poster, my best friend from back in Chicago expressed some interest in it but if he is not interested, I'll let y'all know. I'm not looking to make some huge profit like the dickbag who has it up for $450 but I'm saving for an engagement ring so I needed to essentially cover my costs on getting one of these bad boys. She ended up loving the movie too so it worked out great.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Regarding the Drive poster, my best friend from back in Chicago expressed some interest in it but if he is not interested, I'll let y'all know. I'm not looking to make some huge profit like the dickbag who has it up for $450 but I'm saving for an engagement ring so I needed to essentially cover my costs on getting one of these bad boys. She ended up loving the movie too so it worked out great.

If it doesn't work out with your friend let me know. Assuming the poster comes out even remotely nice I'd love to get my hands on one of 'em.

that drive poster when I saw it; I was like; not sure if want. It looks cool and all but drive is so "trendy" right now, its offputting to me. (saw that on videogum)

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
that drive poster when I saw it; I was like; not sure if want. It looks cool and all but drive is so "trendy" right now, its offputting to me. (saw that on videogum)

I'd like to think that the colors on the actual poster would pop pretty nicely. It looks like it'd look pretty swanky in a good frame. I'm kind of iffy on it though, I'm running out of wall space and I'm still holding out hope that the rest of the Snyder series comes out better than the Sucker Punch poster that was released a while ago.

Maybe Moss will be merciful and make it a timed release like with Double Ghost so some gaffers can actually own the print (and not just EB). =P

We can only hope his upcoming Zelda print will have an edition size with triple digits =x

Yeah would be nice. I'd really like to see one of the big releases do a bigger run. Sick of seeing stuff on eBay 10mins after it sells out for twice the price.

2/3/2012:

Gremlins Artist Proof Edition by Ken Taylor (http://www.kentaylor.com.au/)

gremlinscomp.jpg

Poster by Ken Taylor. 24″x36″ screen print. Hand Numbered. AP Edition of 30. Printed by D&L Screenprinting. $70

How to buy online: http://www.postersandtoys.net/servlet/Categories?category=New+Stuff at 2 PM CST.

Gremlins Variant Artist Proof Edition by Ken Taylor (http://www.kentaylor.com.au/)

Gremlins-var-add.jpeg

Poster by Ken Taylor. 24″x36″ screen print. Hand Numbered. AP Edition of 22. Printed by D&L Screenprinting. $95

How to buy online: http://www.postersandtoys.net/servlet/Categories?category=New+Stuff at 2 PM CST.

- - Beneath the Planet of the Apes Artist Proof Edition by Ken Taylor

e1327514507.jpg

Poster by Ken Taylor. 24"x36" screen print. Hand Numbered. AP Edition of 41. Printed by D&L Screenprinting.

--

Tim Doyle's solo show prints go up online. art prints of various locations from various shows, such as The Simpsons, King of the Hill, Seinfeld, and more.

DoyleTiled.jpg

How to buy online: http://store.spoke-art.com/ @ 3pm Pacific time.

----------------

2/10/2012:

MPEVITE.jpg

FnordChan

And there went the Drive poster. I had it my cart, got hung up on shipping calculation, and then it was out of my cart and sold out. We may literally be looking at Gone In 60 Seconds here, with two minutes between Twitter sold/sold out notifications. I dunno if I'll go through the effort of trying to follow another poster drop at this point.

FnordChan

And there went the Drive poster. I had it my cart, got hung up on shipping calculation, and then it was out of my cart and sold out. We may literally be looking at Gone In 60 Seconds here, with two minutes between Twitter sold/sold out notifications. I dunno if I'll go through the effort of trying to follow another poster drop at this point.

FnordChan

=O How can you possibly feel like that when you scored both Totoros? That was a level 11 drop. This was barely level 8 -- maybe less.

FnordChan

=O How can you possibly feel like that when you scored both Totoros? That was a level 11 drop. This was barely level 8 -- maybe less.

Ah, you're mistaking me for someone else. I've never purchased a Mondo poster, Totoro or otherwise. Admittedly, I haven't tried very hard in the past; today I figured I'd make a serious go for it, but otherwise, not so much.

That said, the next Ghibli poster may well make me throw myself against the wall again. We'll see what happens. Meanwhile, did anyone here manage to score the Drive poster?

afternoon delight said:
...... It's not even that good of a poster.

It's not my favorite Mondo poster by a long shot, but I really liked Drive and figured I'd go for it. Ah well.

FnordChan

Mdk7

I just discovered this thread and...
HOLY FUCK, i'm in awe.
I mean, this pictures, Olly Moss being a gaffer, those Pokémons (and i'm not even a fan of Pokémons)...
Shit, i have no words.

Ah, you're mistaking me for someone else. I've never purchased a Mondo poster, Totoro or otherwise. Admittedly, I haven't tried very hard in the past; today I figured I'd make a serious go for it, but otherwise, not so much.

That said, the next Ghibli poster may well make me throw myself against the wall again. We'll see what happens. Meanwhile, did anyone here manage to score the Drive poster?

It's not my favorite Mondo poster by a long shot, but I really liked Drive and figured I'd go for it. Ah well.

FnordChan

I did score Drive but checkout took forever. Today's drop was a bit different cause there were fewer than half of the run left for the online sale. There is someone with your username on some other person. I thought you two were one and the same cause he also posts about cinema overdrive as well, I think.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
is that Triforce Tribute thing going to have these on mondo-style online sale or what?

kaizoku

Well this sucks. I bought the Olly Moss Totoro print from this guy on eBay. Today (over a month later) I message him asking for an update and he responds saying that he's trying to reach me because my transaction was partially incomplete! He needs more money for "supplies and insurance"!

ebay listing

I don't think his listing states anything that indicated this would happen, there's a line about supply costs being incurred at checkout but this is after checkout and external to the whole eBay process.

Seems well dodgy, he hasn't said how much yet and I don't think I'm willing to pay anything on principle.

My first experience of buying a real piece of art and now I'm worried about protecting myself malicious sellers and potentially crazy eBay rules. SIGH!!

edit: just saw this by his seller's payment instructions: "A small handling and supplies fee will be added to your invoice. Your purchase will be shipped upon receipt from my supplier."

Problem with that is it's a Buy It Now so it's not like I can wait for him to send me an invoice. He either gets the costs into the auction or he doesn't right? Anyone have any advice on where I stand here?

Well this sucks. I bought the Olly Moss Totoro print from this guy on eBay. Today (over a month later) I message him asking for an update and he responds saying that he's trying to reach me because my transaction was partially incomplete! He needs more money for "supplies and insurance"!

ebay listing

I don't think his listing states anything that indicated this would happen, there's a line about supply costs being incurred at checkout but this is after checkout and external to the whole eBay process.

Seems well dodgy, he hasn't said how much yet and I don't think I'm willing to pay anything on principle.

My first experience of buying a real piece of art and now I'm worried about protecting myself malicious sellers and potentially crazy eBay rules. SIGH!!

edit: just saw this by his seller's payment instructions: "A small handling and supplies fee will be added to your invoice. Your purchase will be shipped upon receipt from my supplier."

Problem with that is it's a Buy It Now so it's not like I can wait for him to send me an invoice. He either gets the costs into the auction or he doesn't right? Anyone have any advice on where I stand here?

Damn. This is dodgy as hell. I'll post this on another forum to see if I can get some help for you. I don't buy from ebay so I wouldn't know.

-------------

is that Triforce Tribute thing going to have these on mondo-style online sale or what?

They said that they'll put whatever they don't sell online but I doubt this won't sell out. When Moss released The Bat he sent half of the run to the gallery and sold the other half online. Might be he'll do the same here -- it's pretty common practice actually. Only Moss knows.

kaizoku

Damn. This is dodgy as hell. I'll post this on another forum to see if I can get some help for you. I don't buy from ebay so I wouldn't know.

-------------

They said that they'll put whatever they don't sell online but I doubt this won't sell out. When Moss released The Bat he sent half of the run to the gallery and sold the other half online. Might be he'll do the same here -- it's pretty common practice actually. Only Moss knows.

cheers mate, I've responded saying I'm not paying extra so don't worry about it.

Just stumbled onto some David O'Daniel stuff which seems to be cheaper and more easy to track down so that'll probably be what I move onto if this falls through.

Maybe the Seven Samurai one:

samurai-small.jpg

cheers mate, I've responded saying I'm not paying extra so don't worry about it.

Just stumbled onto some David O'Daniel stuff which seems to be cheaper and more easy to track down so that'll probably be what I move onto if this falls through.

I posted it on EB. Got some replies: http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29039&start=1740

The guy you bought from is apparently on that forum.

O'Daniel's stuff is sweet. I got three of his Hitchcock pieces.

By the by, Moss' Super Mario screenprint will be at the Gallery 1988 multiplayer show this Fri. Only the white one though. No word on price nor edition size yet. If it's like The Bat, Gallery 1988 won't be selling any copies online, but who knows?

Some of the releases for the Multiplayer show:

Castlevania by Jayson Weidel

weidel_castlevania.jpg

11" x 17" Giclee Print on Archival Watercolor Paper
Printed with Archival Vinyl Inks

Everybody's got plans until they get hit by Jeremy Berkley

berkleytyson.jpg

1x14in, 8 color screen print on French Paper - Berrylicious, an editon of 60.

kaizoku

I posted it on EB. Got some replies: http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29039&start=1740

The guy you bought from is apparently on that forum.

ah nice one. It's gotten more ridiculous since then. But I won't fill this thread with that nonsense. My favourite bit is his last message which says he's re-calculated the shipping costs and apparently I haven't paid him enough for that either! What idiot re-calculates costs on the fly?? >_< pain in the ass.

ah nice one. It's gotten more ridiculous since then. But I won't fill this thread with that nonsense. My favourite bit is his last message which says he's re-calculated the shipping costs and apparently I haven't paid him enough for that either! What idiot re-calculates costs on the fly?? >_< pain in the ass.

Once the price has been determined by ebay I don`t think he can make outside adjustments and demand that he pays you off ebay.Make sure everything is done via ebay. Just follow the steps outlined in the other forums too.

I agree that everything should be done through ebay only. Anything outside of it seems shady. It sucks that this guy is chargin you extra but if you really want the print, you really want the print.

kaizoku

mockingbird: any images uploaded of your o'daniel prints? I really like their style and curious about how people have been framing them and how they look in a room and so on.

Regarding eBay:

I've got to the point where the seller seems really keen to do a private sale for some strange reason. So I told him to send me the print and if he still feels the same then he can give me a refund then and I will pay him in private. He's agreed but I've played it safe and made it clear that this remains an eBay transaction until I have the print.

So the only issue here is whether there is still anyway he can bite me in the ass? How easy is it to make counterfeits of these prints? Sounds like it would be quite simple to recreate the print if you have an original? Anyone know about this stuff?

kaizoku

None of my prints have been framed yet. It's due to the lack of funds and cause I'm in Japan at the moment and my prints are in america. The first thing I plan to get framed is Moss' Totoro and Double Ghost posters (thanks for the time release on that by the by, Moss).

Here are some framed O'Daniels though. You only want Seven Samurai?

file.php

http://www.expressobeans.com/visual/index.php/103131/164300

I like a few of his posters but can't buy them if I don't live the films! I'm going to check some out like Chinatown and so on.

The seven samurai one is available at a decent price at a local gallery apparently so I'll go down and check it out.

Meier

Hey guys, I have two posters from a secret Young Adult screening the Drafthouse did last October that I've just had stashed under my bed. If anyone is a big fan of Tara McPherson or the movie, I'd be willing to let you have it for the cost of "shipping and handling." Should amount to about $15-20 if you're within the US. Just shoot me a PM and we can work it out.

Edit: Quoted the pic to shrink it some.. sorry for the size.

Pretty sweet deal.

Moss' Super Mario posters.

Regular edition out of 150.
Variant Red Edition is out of 80.

Only 50 or so or the regular will be for sale on Friday. The rest...only Moss knows. Would guess some online sale though.

Meier

That's quite a deal.

How is the movie?

I liked it quite a bit. If the poster better reflected the film itself, I'd be more interested in it personally. Charlize and Patton were excellent as were the supporting cast. Honestly though, it wasn't as good as Jason Reitman's other films.

As it turns out, they had 6 different posters for this at various screenings.. only 1 or 2 actually really fit the film. This one was just a re-purposed design by the artist apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom