• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pop Culture Art/Posters/Prints Thread (Mondo/ACME/Dark Hall Mansion/etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
UP NOW:

Less than 100 available.

First Blood by Anthony Petrie

3bfb1.jpg

- 24" x 36" Screen Print.

- Edition of 175.

- Hand numbered.

- Printed by Martin Hammond

- Shipped in a Yazoo Mills Heavy Duty Kraft Tube.

- Proceeds from the sales of this print go towards Wounded Warrior Project to aide in their efforts to assist injured American service members.

* SHIPPING AUGUST 20th *

How to buy online: http://threebarrels.bigcartel.com/product/first-blood-by-anthony-petrie

Messi

I bought a really simple frame for Olly Moss Charmander at Ikea:
1b869ae5.jpg

As for my Hawkeye, I'm kinda overwhelmed by how I want to frame it due to the fact that there's no border so I want to show off as much of the print as possible while protecting it (I don't really have any intention to sell it). Ugh... This is the only part I hate about buying prints lol.

Oh man this print is stupidly sexy in a frame. I wish I had got one at the time. It would be kind of awesome to own a charmander (as a kid he was my guy :( ) I didnt get one at the time because I thought people would give me shit for owning a pokemon print. I am an idiot :(

UP NOW:

Less than 100 available.

First Blood by Anthony Petrie

3bfb1.jpg

- 24" x 36" Screen Print.

- Edition of 175.

- Hand numbered.

- Printed by Martin Hammond

- Shipped in a Yazoo Mills Heavy Duty Kraft Tube.

- Proceeds from the sales of this print go towards Wounded Warrior Project to aide in their efforts to assist injured American service members.

* SHIPPING AUGUST 20th *

How to buy online: http://threebarrels.bigcartel.com/product/first-blood-by-anthony-petrie

Could be better but always wanted someone to do a Rambo print. And it's for a good cause so why not!

Edit: $14 shipping.... urg.... hmm

Einbroch

Banned
Holy crap at the Olly Moss print selling 9,350 copies. That's $374,000.

Maybe this'll show them that launching such desirable prints with only 250 available is a bad idea. Make them a 6 or 12 hour sale and everyone is happy. Still limited, still rare, but available to those who really want it.

Axiom

I just hope next time it's not during the middle of a Steam sale, it didn't help that I've still not received my Stout Avengers yet so I'm a little gun shy.

After I actually see Rises, I'll probably be kicking myself.

winstano

Maybe this'll show them that launching such desirable prints with only 250 available is a bad idea. Make them a 6 or 12 hour sale and everyone is happy. Still limited, still rare, but available to those who really want it.

Yep, that's a LOT of monies for Mondo and the artists! I still think they should flog the variants at the start of the sale in limited quantities for those who just want something limited/want to flip them on eBay... Everyone's a winner that way

Anth0ny

Listen to this man.

Messi

Wow, holy shit. To be honest I didn't think the poster was that great (I love his other work) but that is amazing. I'd buy more if it was a 6-12 hour sale. I can't stay at the CPU all day hoping for a drop. I have a job with no net access :(. Missed so many great prints.

the thing is, mondo will want to keep up the rarity/value of the brand, plus obtaining a license for a 24 hour, limitless in number run is probably a lot harder/more expensive.

Yea but if they do it all the time the value of the prints goes to the crapper and people are going to be less interested in buying them. Reason why there is such demand and they sell so well is because of the limited nature and prestige. When their art becomes so easy to get, lot of collectors will no longer be interested and really many people buying these prints do so for collectors sake and not to hang on a wall.

Doing this though is nice and should be done more often, but it won't become the norm. A couple 1 hour sales every once in a while would be nice way of doing it.

Meier

Keep in mind that they're definitely paying a percentage of this to Warner Bros, a percentage to Olly and the printing costs are undoubtedly quite high. Shipping is expensive but they don't make much profit on it due to the overhead cost of the tubes. I have a feeling the margin on the prints is really not that great -- getting a license to sell this many undoubtedly meant that there was a bigger percentage due to WB as well although I imagine it wasn't as bad in this case because it served as additional advertising for the film. I'm sure they profited a lot more on this than a run of 400, but it probably wasn't quite as much as you'd think.

I'm sure they aren't exactly thrilled at all the exra work involved in shipping that many prints. They aren't a huge company and to have to package carefully all those TDKR posters.....

Anth0ny

Yea but if they do it all the time the value of the prints goes to the crapper and people are going to be less interested in buying them. Reason why there is such demand and they sell so well is because of the limited nature and prestige. When their art becomes so easy to get, lot of collectors will no longer be interested and really many people buying these prints do so for collectors sake and not to hang on a wall.

Doing this though is nice and should be done more often, but it won't become the norm. A couple 1 hour sales every once in a while would be nice way of doing it.

I think this is total horse shit.

There isn't a demand because of the limited nature. There's a demand because the posters are fucking awesome. For every sale lost because some hipster decides "it's not limited enough!", another 10 are gained from people who aren't missing the ridiculously short lived and random drops.

LaneDS

There isn't a demand because of the limited nature. There's a demand because the posters are fucking awesome. For every sale lost because some hipster decides "it's not limited enough!", another 10 are gained from people who aren't missing the ridiculously short lived and random drops.

Basically amounts to people find the prints valuable for different reasons. Some find them valuable, because, they're valuable from a monetary standpoint because of that rarity and prestige. Others (you & I) find them valuable because some prints are outstanding and you just want to display them.

As I see it, neither approach can claim to be right, and value can be perceived however you see fit to perceive it.

Yes it is all the "hipsters" fault.... lol

As has been said countless times in this thread, it is all about licensing costs, size of operations, and not ruining the value of an artists pedigree.

omgkitty

Maybe I'm just different, but I used to think like some of you guys who just wanted to be able to buy something I want for a reasonable price and that everyone should be able to buy one, but ever since I started collecting, I feel differently. The limitedness of the prints makes them special. Does it inherently make them any better or worse? No. But it's like the difference between buying an original one-sheet movie poster and buying a copy at Walmart. It's just not the same.

I do think some of the run sizes should be increased, and the more popularity Mondo gains, the more those numbers will rise, but don't expect a lot of these open prints. I could see it happening once or twice a year at most. I just hope it's not always an Olly Moss print. No offense, but sometimes everyone shouldn't be able to have everything.

matowest

Neo Member
The Charade print sold out quickly, but I think it's an overall better print than this. I've liked all their prints so far, but I've only bought Alien and Charade. I really hope they pull off some cool stuff for the rest of their series.

I bought Alien, Charade and Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. Grabbed Mr. Smith mostly because the price was so low -- just $20 plus shipping, I believe.

I've really enjoyed this series so far and with what's on the KY Theatre's schedule (e.g. Manchurian Candidate & Notorious) there could definitely be some more cool stuff in the works.

7/23/2012:

"i'm not aware if you're aware of what a distance can become." by Daniel Danger

7254183684_246739dd34_o.jpg

15x30" eight-or-nine color screenprint on heavy black paper. Edition of 200. $80.

There will also be an edition of 20 available on wood panels.

How to buy online: http://store.tinymediaempire.com/ at a random time.

Risible

Holy hell, that's beautiful.

Daniel Danger is my favorite artist. Astounding stuff. Here's a presentation he gave where he explains a lot about his work.

In it he talks about painting with light, not dark. Starting with a black background and painting the light onto it, as opposed to starting with white space and then using black outline-type lines. If you look at this new piece you can see that in action. Or at least it seems that way to my untrained eyes :).

IronRinn

The Danger print is the cover for the album Twelve Years by Daytrader. It was originally entitled "The Last Days of Rome" and was given out with preorders. The thread on EB seems to indicate that it was printed on cheap paper and shipped by people with little experience with art prints leading to some extensive damage in transit. I'm assuming Danger decided to do a quality run on his own.

Sigma722

The Danger print is the cover for the album Twelve Years by Daytrader. It was originally entitled "The Last Days of Rome" and was given out with preorders. The thread on EB seems to indicate that it was printed on cheap paper and shipped by people with little experience with art prints leading to some extensive damage in transit. I'm assuming Danger decided to do a quality run on his own.

Sweet!

Totally forgot to check EB. Although most of the bigger treads are mostly off topic now *eye-roll*. I bet the Danger thread is alright though, ha.

IronRinn

Sweet!

Totally forgot to check EB. Although most of the bigger treads are mostly off topic now *eye-roll*. I bet the Danger thread is alright though, ha.

I feel like that's par for the course with any forum, really (though I will say that GAF does a better job than many on sticking to the subject at hand). The Mondo thread, in particular, sort of has become a drop day/general chat thread but most of the other topics stay on point.

Check out the Danger thread, if you get a chance. Some of those prints got fuuuucked up.

omgkitty

I keep tossing around the idea of selling my Rhys Cooper BB to contribute to a Moss Totoro or Monoke... But dammit, I like it too!

Man I just went and looked up what some of these prints are going for and I can't believe it. Besides a couple of the pieces, they are all kind of terrible and definitely not something I think people would buy if it didn't have the Breaking Bad name attached to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom