• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pop Culture Art/Posters/Prints Thread (Mondo/ACME/Dark Hall Mansion/etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

I sold a print on eBay in hopes of raising some money to buy a Mononoke on there. It turns out the buyer is a new user with 0 feedback.. should I be nervous? I know that buyers have ridiculous power nowadays on eBay. I'm shipping via UPS Ground and I will be insuring the print. If he tries to rip me off and claim it's damaged or something, can I get my money back from UPS then instead?

I sold a print on eBay in hopes of raising some money to buy a Mononoke on there. It turns out the buyer is a new user with 0 feedback.. should I be nervous? I know that buyers have ridiculous power nowadays on eBay. I'm shipping via UPS Ground and I will be insuring the print. If he tries to rip me off and claim it's damaged or something, can I get my money back from UPS then instead?

Yeah. Once your insured your good. Hell, insure for more then its worth and make sure your buyer loses it. :) Just kidding, but if your insured, no worries.

Depends who pays the shipping to UPS/was billed for it. The person who pays the shipping cost and pays the insurance is the one who makes a claim for insurance with UPS for an item.

Also UPS insurance is never totally safe, since UPS has many outs to not pay. They may request to inspect the item and the packaging, if the customer tossed the packaging and UPS can't inspect it, they can say they don't have to pay, so a buyer can still screw you no matter what. And UPS in general has gotten really bad about paying insurance claims putting ridiculous rules on how an item is to be packed. They can toss your box 50 yards and play football with it, but because they say it wasn't packed to proper standards, they won't pay a claim. The more expensive the claim, the higher chance UPS wll require to inspect the package as they aren't suddenly going to accept that what was in that tube was worth hundreds. And the USPS is no better, actually insurance claims for USPS are far worse and you will be filling out forms and waiting months to ever hear anything back from them.

Up now:

Greeting Starfighter by Newflesh

Greetings_Starfighter_edition_of_75_18x24_35_large.jpg

screenprint
18 x 24 inches
numbered edition of 75
(originally released at SDCC 2012)

How to buy online: http://nineteeneightyeight.com/products/new-flesh-greeting-starfighter-print

FnordChan

MOND002LP_CU.jpg

Thanks to an awesome Expresso Beans member who just emailed me the heads up out the blue, I have good news: the Mondo vinyl release of The Beyond is now available for order from distributor Forced Exposure for $20.50 plus shipping. Mondo had announced that they were planning on distributing their vinyl releases via standard record store channels, but when they dropped The Beyond on their site directly I was concerned that they weren't going to be distributing until the Drive OST got it's release. Looks like their records are going to get proper wide (if limited) release after all!

FnordChan

Meier

Depends who pays the shipping to UPS/was billed for it. The person who pays the shipping cost and pays the insurance is the one who makes a claim for insurance with UPS for an item.

Also UPS insurance is never totally safe, since UPS has many outs to not pay. They may request to inspect the item and the packaging, if the customer tossed the packaging and UPS can't inspect it, they can say they don't have to pay, so a buyer can still screw you no matter what. And UPS in general has gotten really bad about paying insurance claims putting ridiculous rules on how an item is to be packed. They can toss your box 50 yards and play football with it, but because they say it wasn't packed to proper standards, they won't pay a claim. The more expensive the claim, the higher chance UPS wll require to inspect the package as they aren't suddenly going to accept that what was in that tube was worth hundreds. And the USPS is no better, actually insurance claims for USPS are far worse and you will be filling out forms and waiting months to ever hear anything back from them.

Ugh, well I will just cross my fingers and hope I'm not fucked over. He paid immediately after the auction ended (he used BIN) which hopefully is a good sign.

Sigma722

So Mondo just updated their site with the Olly Moss print..

They did it kind of silly, and first put it up for sale, and then changed the onsale date to tomorrow.

I bought it anyways. I better get #1.

Edit: and the golden ticket. Olly, please make it happen :)

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Random first come first served. Unannounced is the best way, I've found.

Thanks.

Looks like I'll be chaining my laptop to myself and obsessively checking Twitter the next couple of weeks so I don't miss Princess Mononoke >_<

A question for anyone familiar with framing/archiving/etc:

A few months ago I had my reg Moss Totoro framed at a local shop (thankfully not a Michaels or something similar). Recently, as I've been reading more and more about the proper ways to archive prints, I've started to worry that I might've accidentally "ruined" the print (not the print itself really, but the value) by having it wet mounted or dry mounted.

I spoke with the framer and learned that they never use wet mount techniques, and did not use a dry mount on mine because of the dark colors. Instead they used a "cold mount" technique with an acid free material called Gudy, which is archival and ph neutral. Has anyone heard of this technique before? I couldn't find anything about it on EB.

All things considered, it doesn't matter too much to me because I can't imagine selling this print. That said, it would make me a bit sad if I've ruined its collector value on accident.

For anyone interested in the answer to this, here's the thread on EB:

http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=94670

I followed up with the framer, who told me that the mounting can be reversed, but it requires heat so it's not recommended :/

Oh well, good to know moving forward to ask them for a different process. I was incredibly happy with their framing and composition otherwise.

Tempted to pull the trigger on a Mononoke on eBay, but I know once it arrives I'm gonna want a Totoro to go with it, and those are so much more expensive haha. :/

matowest

Neo Member
Tempted to pull the trigger on a Mononoke on eBay, but I know once it arrives I'm gonna want a Totoro to go with it, and those are so much more expensive haha. :/

They are much more expensive, but every once in a while, you can find an awesome deal on Totoro on EB. Still expensive, but way under eBay costs. Might not happen for a while now, though, with Mononoke being so highly sought after.

Meier

Finally decided to see what it would cost to get my Totoro framed (it's been in storage since I picked it up). $115 at Hobby Lobby. :( That's after 50% off the cost of the frame materials itself.. oof. I'm not sure if that means most places would cost $170-$180 or what.

Sigma722

Finally decided to see what it would cost to get my Totoro framed (it's been in storage since I picked it up). $115 at Hobby Lobby. :( That's after 50% off the cost of the frame materials itself.. oof. I'm not sure if that means most places would cost $170-$180 or what.

Have you checked americanframe.com yet? Place is pretty legit. I got my first frame in last week from them for my 13 Assassin's print. Good stuff. I think I paid $75.

I bought a really simple frame for Olly Moss Charmander at Ikea:
1b869ae5.jpg

As for my Hawkeye, I'm kinda overwhelmed by how I want to frame it due to the fact that there's no border so I want to show off as much of the print as possible while protecting it (I don't really have any intention to sell it). Ugh... This is the only part I hate about buying prints lol.

Sigma722

I bought a really simple frame for Olly Moss Charmander at Ikea:
1b869ae5.jpg

As for my Hawkeye, I'm kinda overwhelmed by how I want to frame it due to the fact that there's no border so I want to show off as much of the print as possible while protecting it (I don't really have any intention to sell it). Ugh... This is the only part I hate about buying prints lol.

Clear pushpins. Problem solved.

Meier

Have you checked americanframe.com yet? Place is pretty legit. I got my first frame in last week from them for my 13 Assassin's print. Good stuff. I think I paid $75.

1 Your Image Size (20 X 36) N/A
1 Basics - White L1192 (23 3/4 X 39 3/4) $51.85
1 Mat Board- Smooth White (white core) CBW222 (23 3/4 X 39 3/4) Rectangle Top:2" Sides:2" Bottom:2" $13.80
1 Standard Acrylic AAS (23 3/4 X 39 3/4) $28.74
1 Standard Mounting Board MTBS (23 3/4 X 39 3/4) $7.76

Looks like they'd charge $103 + whatever shipping, etc. Shame.

Clear pushpins. Problem solved.

But... Holes...

Anyways, since the Hawkeye print means something to me, I'll probably take it to a local place by me for framing, they have coupons on amazon local sometimes or I guess Aaron Bros as a last resort.

I bought the same one! It was tough to find one that fits.

If anyone wants to trade a Squirtle for a Bulbasaur, let me know..

Yes! (=´&#8704;&#65344;)&#20154;(´&#8704;&#65344;=)

I stood there looking at frames until I came across that one. It's 9x9, but since the matte board frames the print up nicely - plus I like the white frame - it was perfect.

Meier

Get my 24x36's and such framed for about $65 locally. Shop around local mom and pop places and get a quote

The problem in this case was it's 20x36 -- the framer in this case mentioned the matte would look a bit unusual due to the thicker sides of the matte versus the thin matte at the bottom. They did have the option of buying a 24x36 frame though at 50% off so I gave it some thought but they felt a little cheesy. I might need to look at EB for some inspiration.

The problem in this case was it's 20x36 -- the framer in this case mentioned the matte would look a bit unusual due to the thicker sides of the matte versus the thin matte at the bottom. They did have the option of buying a 24x36 frame though at 50% off so I gave it some thought but they felt a little cheesy. I might need to look at EB for some inspiration.

They don't do custom frames?

Meier

They don't do custom frames?

They do them but the custom frame in the white wood product I had picked out at 20x36 was $115 after tax (would have been $180 but Hobby Lobby gives 50% off the quoted price on the frame's material.. in this case $12 a foot). It looks like it'd cost roughly the same from Americanframe.com.

I may end up giving in and doing a 24x36 standard frame to save some money.. I don't think I could ever really feel comfortable spending that much on a frame job for the custom size.

UP NOW! Poster is by Neogaf's Moss!

The Dark Knight Rises by Olly Moss

olly_dark_knight_mondo.jpg

Mondo will release their first ever timed edition tomorrow night. Olly Moss’ The Dark Knight Rises poster is a 16&#8243; x 24&#8243; screenprint for $40. They’ll go up for sale on Wednesday, July 18th at 12:01am Central Time, and they’ll stay up for 24 hours. The number of prints sold will determine the edition.

How to buy online: http://mondotees.com/view_category.asp?cat=12

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
curious what everyone would pick with their golden ticket. I'd love to see Olly tackle some classic films. something like TWO LANE BLACKTOP or VANISHING POINT comes to mind, ample energy, symbolism and cool to pull from there.. would love to see what he'd come up with

I don't even want to daydream about getting that golden ticket. It's just way too unlikely.
What would you guys choose to get done? As a Batman fan, I kind of already got my wish.
I'd probably choose something ridiculous like a poster of my cat.

curious what everyone would pick with their golden ticket. I'd love to see Olly tackle some classic films. something like TWO LANE BLACKTOP or VANISHING POINT comes to mind, ample energy, symbolism and cool to pull from there.. would love to see what he'd come up with

I would want him to do the film Halloween, no one has really done a good quality Halloween print (Methane's Halloween was neat though). But I really not liking the TDKR poster so saving my money.

kaskade

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-DARK-KN...=Art_Prints&hash=item1c293923f5#ht_640wt_1392

REALLY stupid.

Yeah, having the golden ticket would be stressful. Part of me wants to go with Seven Samurai, since it's my favorite, but then it would be cool to see what Olly would do with films like Akira, Clockwork Orange, Blade Runner, etc.

I feel the same way. When I first read it I thought you could just pick from any of his past prints. I didn't realize that he was making a whole new one. That's a lot of pressure.

Hey guys,
So I bit on that AngryBlue random tube of posters.
Got in the mail today and totally nabbed the Donnie Darko print. Also a couple of other great looking ones too. Overall, very much worth the price!

kaskade

I would like to see more timed prints. Maybe even for an hour or something. It does suck when a print sells out in 2 minutes. Especially cause I'm usually at work and sometimes I will be helping someone when the poster drops.

I would like to see more timed prints. Maybe even for an hour or something. It does suck when a print sells out in 2 minutes. Especially cause I'm usually at work and sometimes I will be helping someone when the poster drops.

For something like Olly prints and many famous Mondo artist, this will not become a common thing.

Meier

Easy answer for me. I would have Moss do an oasis-themed poster. :)

But the chances are so absurdly slim. I didn't get a Pikachu despite a 1/24 chance (roughly). This will be like 1/25,000 (or worse).

UP NOW!

The Nightmare Before Christmas Artist Proof Edition by Graham Erwin

e1335288580.jpg

12" by 36"
5 colors on French Construction Charcoal Brown Paper

Artist Proof edition of 31
Signed and numbered with white colored pencil. $60.

How to buy online: http://www.etsy.com/listing/104161335/nightmare-before-christmas-main-edition

The Nightmare Before Christmas Sideshow Exclusive Variant Artist Proof Edition by Graham Erwin

9017271_press01-001.jpg

12" by 36"
5 colors on French Construction Charcoal Brown Paper

Edition of 25
Signed and numbered in white pencil. $90

Buy it now here: http://www.etsy.com/listing/104161991/nightmare-before-christmas-variant-ap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom