• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pop Culture Art/Posters/Prints Thread (Mondo/ACME/Dark Hall Mansion/etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OB-TT590_lotr1_HS_20120714114726.jpg

OB-TT603_mondor_HS_20120714143648.jpg

jvalioli

I'm getting broken links from all the images on this page except Batman. Just me?
edit: Just me, my internet is messed up lol

Also for TDKR; pretty great except the bat symbol eye thing.

I want that variant, too bad it is SDCC exclusive and in such limited numbers. :/
If the size of the standard release was the same as that variant then I'd settle for the standard release for sure as it is mainly the dimensions that makes the regular The Dark Knight Rises release less enticing to me.

7542260054_7bd9a6b2b1.jpg

EDIT: On second thought, I'll just give the standard release a larger matte in the same colour as the variant... sweet. :D

mjc

Mondo should do timed sales all of the time. I'm getting right sick of seeing prices double/triple the original amount less than 24 hours later just so some guy can flip it.

Whooter

Mondo should do timed sales all of the time. I'm getting right sick of seeing prices double/triple the original amount less than 24 hours later just so some guy can flip it.

I agree. It would be nice to get more prints into the hands of those that would appreciate them at issue price.

Maybe I'm naive here, but how does it benefit an artist to release, say, 100 copies of a print at $250 and then have all of them go to speculators/flippers who turn around and get $500 each for them? Doesn't the artist just get their original $25,000 regardless of how much they get flipped for on eBay? (simplified math is simplified)

If they do that, have an unlimited run, the only value of purchasing it is literally the value of the art on the paper. With limited runs, there's excitement and dare I say a thrill to owning the piece. If 5,000 people had bought the OllyMoss Star Wars prints, they would have been cool for a week. It's kind of a cool thing to know that I have a JC Richard 'Jurassic Park' Art Print, one of only one-hundred-twenty-five in existence. It sounds so douchey when I type it out like this, but I still think it's cool.

B33

Banned
I agree. It would be nice to get more prints into the hands of those that would appreciate them at issue price.

Maybe I'm naive here, but how does it benefit an artist to release, say, 100 copies of a print at $250 and then have all of them go to speculators/flippers who turn around and get $500 each for them? Doesn't the artist just get their original $25,000 regardless of how much they get flipped for on eBay? (simplified math is simplified)

It's a losing battle no matter how one chooses to dice it.

Mondo must seek permission from the companies that hold the rights to the subject matter they wish to print posters of. They then need to commission an artist to concoct a take and show it to the studio for approval.

This agreement of course comes with stipulations from both sides. The artist wants there to be revere and value in the work, and the studio wants to limit the number inherently for a myriad of reasons. And Mondo of course also wants there to be an inherent collector's value to these items.

Say the artwork shows the likeness of an actor (or actors), à la the round of Avengers posters the company released a couple months ago. Each performer whose likeness is being utilized in the piece has to offer consent. So that ensemble poster of The Avengers had to be approved of by all of the performers, which is essentially the entire principal cast of the film.

Simply put, it's not as straightforward as "Hey, you, go make us poster and let's release it!"

To be fair, Mondo has made strides in the right direction since their inception. They've increased their number of prints, they've had a tremendous amount of work commissioned on their website to deal with the strenuous task of dealing with thousands of views when a poster hits, and they've reached out to more companies for use of their properties (as well as artists).

The eBay scalpers annoy the folks at Mondo just as much as they irk enthusiasts. It's an infuriating thing that occurs with quite a few hobbies. Keeping the print number fluid with what is ultimately ordered in a limited time period may help quash the "poster flippers," but it'll never be the absolute solution. Nothing will.

Addendum: I am in favor of timed releases, but I know it'll never completely quell the scalpers.

omgkitty

It's a losing battle no matter how one chooses to dice it.

Mondo must seek permission from the companies that hold the rights to the subject matter they wish to print posters of. They then need to commission an artist to concoct a take and show it to the studio for approval.

This agreement of course comes with stipulations from both sides. The artist wants there to be revere and value in the work, and the studio wants to limit the number inherently for a myriad of reasons. And Mondo of course also wants there to be an inherent collector's value to these items.

Say the artwork shows the likeness of an actor (or actors), à la the round of Avengers posters the company released a couple months ago. Each performer whose likeness is being utilized in the piece has to offer consent. So that ensemble poster of The Avengers had to be approved of by all of the performers, which is essentially the entire principal cast of the film.

Simply put, it's not as straightforward as "Hey, you, go make us poster and let's release it!"

To be fair, Mondo has made strides in the right direction since their inception. They've increased their number of prints, they've had a tremendous amount of work commissioned on their website to deal with the strenuous task of dealing with thousands of views when a poster hits, and they've reached out to more companies for use of their properties (as well as artists).

The eBay scalpers annoy the folks at Mondo just as much as they irk enthusiasts. It's an infuriating thing that occurs with quite a few hobbies. Keeping the print number fluid with what is ultimately ordered in a limited time period may help quash the "poster flippers," but it'll never be the absolute solution. Nothing will.

Very well put!

Doesn't have to be 24hr limited sales, but more like 1 hour or half hour quick sale to keep things limited and still worth something. Also of course something that should only be done once in a while.

While the ability to get an Olly is nice, not crazy about the print. But I would be an idiot to not pick it up?

LaneDS

Doesn't have to be 24hr limited sales, but more like 1 hour or half hour quick sale to keep things limited and still worth something. Also of course something that should only be done once in a while.

While the ability to get an Olly is nice, not crazy about the print. But I would be an idiot to not pick it up?

I don't see how you'd be an idiot for not buying something you don't like. Personally I think it's cool that one gets a timed run, but I don't love the print either so I'll save my money for another day.

I don't see how you'd be an idiot for not buying something you don't like. Personally I think it's cool that one gets a timed run, but I don't love the print either so I'll save my money for another day.

I mean for collectors sake and how much it might be worth. But might not be worth much seeing how available it will be?

i was so certain i'd never ever get that olly print that i didn't even bother to read that it's a timed release rather than the usual numbered one. very excited. ALSO my girlfriend will actually allow me to put this up, rather than my double ghost & squirtle which have been banned :(

I mean for collectors sake and how much it might be worth. But might not be worth much seeing how available it will be?
will probably go to about $70-80ish, judging by the double ghosts on ebay.

B33

Banned
In regards to The Dark Knights Rises print by Olly Moss, purchase the poster because it means something to you, not because you think you can flip it on eBay. That's the point of Mondo. To sell items that hold revere and value. Anyone can go purchase a poster from a local department store. They're of cheap material, often terribly designed, and are bountiful in quantity.

When I was employed with a cinema, I often sifted through the ample assortment of one-sheets (posters) sent to us by distributors*. There were some wonderful gems, but what is sent is the absolute limit. The studios print what's ordered and then severe ties with the assemblies. While some poster companies try to reprint knock-offs, they don't compare to the pristine quality of a one-sheet. I own several memorable posters and they mean something more to me because of their origins and quality.

As infuriating as the eBay scalpers are, I can get behind what Mondo is trying to accomplish. I've been in favor of a timed release since the company's objectives first started to make rounds around the Internet.

A timed release is more likely to place the prints in the hands of those who will appreciate it. It also discourages others from immediately flipping it. So if you hadn't had a chance and like this one, buy it for your own enjoyment. Don't do what the eBay scalpers do, because I can guarantee you won't fetch as much for the poster in contrast to Mondo's other releases. A collector's item's lucrative value comes from its rarity. The fluid number to this print may mean you'll fetch asking price in several weeks time, but then what's the point? Buy it for you and keep the temptation of possibly making some return on it at bay.

*The system isn't without its flaws, mind you, the general managers of the theater were allowed to order however many they wanted and the distributor would comply. It's written off as a marketing expense - which is of course in the millions. I can't imagine it being different at other establishments, as I've been a patron at other cinemas and have noticed at least five of the same print on display in addition to what they presumably have upstairs.

Duderz

Banned
I saw that Dark Knight Rises print at CC and the enormous line to buy it. I was surprised, because it's a remarkably bland poster for something that could have been amazing.

In regards to The Dark Knights Rises print by Olly Moss, purchase the poster because it means something to you, not because you think you can flip it on eBay. That's the point of Mondo. To sell items that hold revere and value. Anyone can go purchase a poster from a local department store. They're of cheap material, often terribly designed, and are bountiful in quantity.

When I was employed with a cinema, I often sifted through the ample assortment of one-sheets (posters) sent to us by distributors*. There were some wonderful gems, but what is sent is the absolute the limit. The studios print what's ordered and then severe ties with the assemblies. While some poster companies try to reprint knock-offs, they don't compare to the pristine quality of a one-sheet. I own several memorable posters and they mean something more to me because of their origins and quality.

As infuriating as the eBay scalpers are, I can get behind what Mondo is trying to accomplish. I've been in favor of a timed release since the company's objectives first started to make rounds around the Internet.

A timed release places the prints in the hands of those who will appreciate it. It also discourages others from immediately flipping it. So if you hadn't had a chance and like this one, buy it for your own enjoyment. Don't do what the eBay scalpers do, because I can guarantee you won't fetch as much for the poste in contrast to Mondo's other releases. A collector's item's lucrative value comes from its rarity. The fluid number to this print may mean you'll fetch asking price in several weeks time, but then what's the point? Buy it for you and keep the temptation of possibly making some return on it at bay.

*The system isn't without its flaws, mind you, the general managers of the theater were allowed to order however many they wanted and the distributor would comply. It's written off as a marketing expense - which is of course in the millions. I can't imagine it being different at other establishments, as I've been a patron at other cinemas and have noticed at least five of the same print on display in addition to what they presumably have upstairs.

here here.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
excellence

Pretty much that, right there.

I've bought and sold my fair share of posters by now, and I'm still in the market for trading some in my collection, but the reality is, every single poster I've purchased has been because I like it first and foremost. However, if someone wants to offer me something I want more in exchange for a poster I already have, then of course I'll jump at the opportunity.

If the print is of something I don't particularly care for, I won't buy it. I generally skip Stout prints for this reason. With the occasional exception (Avengers), his style doesn't really do it for me.

deadbolt1388: From those portfolios you recommended to me (and others recently), which size do you have?

I bought the largest 24x36 size, hoping to be able to store most of the prints I have. Up until now, I've been putting away smaller prints in there. I just tried to put away a 24x36 print, and it doesn't really fit. In fact, I think I may have (unfortunately) made a crease in two of the corners in the effort. I'm assuming I might be SOL here, but just in case, did you get the same size, and have you been able to fit typical Mondo-sized posters in there without them folding up?

winstano

When I was employed with a cinema, I often sifted through the ample assortment of one-sheets (posters) sent to us by distributors*. There were some wonderful gems, but what is sent is the absolute limit. The studios print what's ordered and then severe ties with the assemblies. While some poster companies try to reprint knock-offs, they don't compare to the pristine quality of a one-sheet. I own several memorable posters and they mean something more to me because of their origins and quality.

A timed release is more likely to place the prints in the hands of those who will appreciate it. It also discourages others from immediately flipping it. So if you hadn't had a chance and like this one, buy it for your own enjoyment. Don't do what the eBay scalpers do, because I can guarantee you won't fetch as much for the poster in contrast to Mondo's other releases. A collector's item's lucrative value comes from its rarity. The fluid number to this print may mean you'll fetch asking price in several weeks time, but then what's the point? Buy it for you and keep the temptation of possibly making some return on it at bay.

Absolutely. I'd be all in favour of them doing something like a 12 hour timed release (Hell, even a 2 hour timed release!), with a limited amount of the variants being released (as per their 'normal' releases). That'd surely satisfy everyone? Those who want a really rare exclusive print could get them in the form of the variant, and those who just want the posters could get them.

Pretty much that, right there.

I've bought and sold my fair share of posters by now, and I'm still in the market for trading some in my collection, but the reality is, every single poster I've purchased has been because I like it first and foremost. However, if someone wants to offer me something I want more in exchange for a poster I already have, then of course I'll jump at the opportunity.

If the print is of something I don't particularly care for, I won't buy it. I generally skip Stout prints for this reason. With the occasional exception (Avengers), his style doesn't really do it for me.

deadbolt1388: From those portfolios you recommended to me (and others recently), which size do you have?

I bought the largest 24x36 size, hoping to be able to store most of the prints I have. Up until now, I've been putting away smaller prints in there. I just tried to put away a 24x36 print, and it doesn't really fit. In fact, I think I may have (unfortunately) made a crease in two of the corners in the effort. I'm assuming I might be SOL here, but just in case, did you get the same size, and have you been able to fit typical Mondo-sized posters in there without them folding up?

I have the same size, 24x36, and like you i put some smaller prints in there but my mondo prints fit in there too. Except for one of my Tong APs, which has a tiny bit of the print coming out of the sleeve, they all fit fine. Are you talking about the prints not fitting in the sleeves or not fitting in the portfolio itself? I can understand where your coming from when you try to put the print in the sleeve and it seems like your forcing it in. Same thing happened to me but i eventually asked my girl to help me and learned its much easier to put a print in one of those sleeves with two people. :)

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
I have the same size, 24x36, and like you i put some smaller prints in there but my mondo prints fit in there too. Except for one of my Tong APs, which has a tiny bit of the print coming out of the sleeve, they all fit fine. Are you talking about the prints not fitting in the sleeves or not fitting in the portfolio itself? I can understand where your coming from when you try to put the print in the sleeve and it seems like your forcing it in. Same thing happened to me but i eventually asked my girl to help me and learned its much easier to put a print in one of those sleeves with two people. :)

Hmm, well, it's had an extra two days of flattening. I'll get another pair of hands to help. Thanks!

omgkitty

Really wanted to complain about something and I guess this is the best place to do it. One of my favorite artists was having a give away on his facebook page. The 100th like on his page would win a free tube of posters. Well I waited two weeks until it got to 94 likes and then got 3 friends to like it so I could be the 100th. Well, the artist posted congratulations to some other guy in the comments. Now I had to send a message to the artist on Twitter and ask for clarification on the issue. For all I know, there is no way to even see who would be the 100th like because I can't even see who has liked it at all besides my friends. Now I feel like I look like an ass hole for messaging him about it, and even if I get the prints, I'll feel lesser because of it, even though I rightly deserve them. Just thought I would vent here.

Edit: I think my rant was little blow out of proportion. Turns out he's totally going to hook me up!

agzaker

Neo Member
Really wanted to complain about something and I guess this is the best place to do it. One of my favorite artists was having a give away on his facebook page. The 100th like on his page would win a free tube of posters. Well I waited two weeks until it got to 94 likes and then got 3 friends to like it so I could be the 100th. Well, the artist posted congratulations to some other guy in the comments. Now I had to send a message to the artist on Twitter and ask for clarification on the issue. For all I know, there is no way to even see who would be the 100th like because I can't even see who has liked it at all besides my friends. Now I feel like I look like an ass hole for messaging him about it, and even if I get the prints, I'll feel lesser because of it, even though I rightly deserve them. Just thought I would vent here.

Edit: I think my rant was little blow out of proportion. Turns out he's totally going to hook me up!

Congrats!!
Also that Black lagoon is awesome!!

Messi

Glad he decided to hook you up.

So, my Arrested Development prints from Gallery1988 came in. I knew I jumped in and bought 3 pretty quick, but I had no idea:

Clinton Reno "Franklin Bluth" - 4/40

Scott Derby "White Staircar" - 2/20

Cuyler Smith "Bluth Thanksgiving" - 1(!)/23

Not sure when these are getting framed, as they're weird as hell sizes, but those are some pretty low numbers...

winstano

Has anyone Ebay'd a Cloud yet?

I keep tossing around the idea of grabbing it for $100. I'd frame it and stuff of course.

Yeah, I bit the bullet shortly after seeing one go. Was a BIN or Best Offer, Got it for $105 + $20 shipping to the UK. Ever so slightly more than I'd wanted tp pay, but I thought to myself "There's only 100 of these, they're going to fetch a lot more than that in a few months' time"...

HTuran

Yeah, I bit the bullet shortly after seeing one go. Was a BIN or Best Offer, Got it for $105 + $20 shipping to the UK. Ever so slightly more than I'd wanted tp pay, but I thought to myself "There's only 100 of these, they're going to fetch a lot more than that in a few months' time"...

Very good call, glad to see you get one after wanting for so long!

kaskade

I think I'm going to get the Olly poster since I like his work and always wanted a piece by him and I love Batman. I'll be honest it's not my favorite looking print but I imagine it'll look way better in person and framed.

I'm still waiting on the Drive vinyl and print.

omgkitty

Olly just tweeted that he'll be selling APs "at some point" for every Mondo print of his that was at SDCC.

https://twitter.com/ollymoss/status/225241608877121537

Maybe he can answer this himself if he pops back in here, but does he usually do lotteries, or random first-come-first-served drops?

He does random drops on a random website that's tweeted out. It's fucking brutal. Also, he uses paypal, so sometimes there is oversell and you won't know until after the fact. I have heard he's changing the way he does his stuff though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom