• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The producer of the smash hit critically acclaimed masterpiece 'Borderlands' is also producing The Legend of Zelda

ManaByte

Gold Member
Be afraid.

waj6XAKx_400x400.jpg

Avi Arad is responsible for Borderlands. He also brought us the recent modern classics such as Venom: Let There Be Carnage, Morbius, the upcoming Best Picture winner Madame Web, and the highly anticipated Venom: The Last Dance and Kraven (which is a recycle of the Morbius script with bat blood replaced with lion blood).

Since the man has a laptop filled with epic dirt on Sony chief Tom Rothman, he's given anything he wants to destroy. His next target is The Legend of Zelda.

Be very afraid.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Honestly, I think their best shot is something horrible on par with Madame Web which could still be entertaining.

I don't see a live action Zelda really being possible to take seriously.

RCU005

This has been known for a while.

If there is someone who should be removed from Hollywood, cancelled and forgotten about, is him.

However, this is not his fault. Why did Miyamoto, in his right mind, decided to make Zelda a live-action movie?! I'm sorry, but there is no way the movie is going to be taken seriously. It will be cheese and induce cringe. If it's done like The Lord of the Rings, it will be weird. If it has less production value, it will be awful.

There's one franchise that feels perfectly for live action, and that's Metroid. Practically all other Nintendo franchises should be animated, and they just should play with the animation style depending on the franchise. Did they not learn from the amazing Smash Bros character announcements?

The Zelda movie is going to fail. It's not going to be Mario Bros level of failure, but Hollywood will not lose the chance of messing with it (they even did it with Super Mario Movie), and add stupid, useless things (also americanize many of the characters). Specially with this guy.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Getting Old 30 Rock GIF

no wonder the cast was grannies...

Being producer of Spider-Man 2 gives him immunity for all times.

He didn't make Spider-Man 2 good. Kevin Feige was still involved then.

The guy ruined Spider-Man 3 and drove Sam Raimi away. Feige was building Marvel Studios at the time and getting Iron Man ready to go into production.

He's been a menace for decades.

Sam Raimi wanted Ben Kingsley to play the Vulture in Spider-Man 3, because Raimi was really more familiar and fond of the 60's villain line up. Avi Arad forced him to remove Vulture and replace him with Venom because Arad said "kids love Venom it'll sell toys".

He's also responsible for Sony not making Spider-Man movies anymore and Marvel doing them after ASM2 where the movie lost something like $75 million when Arad ignored every single one of Kevin Feige's suggestions on how to improve the movie.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Ever since he fucked up Sam Raimis Spider Man 3 I've been trying my best to avoid every property he puts his name on. Gave Let there be Carnage a shot and it was the worst fucking piece of garbage I've seen in modern times. Trash producer who has way too much influence on the directors vision.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
This has been known for a while.

If there is someone who should be removed from Hollywood, cancelled and forgotten about, is him.

However, this is not his fault. Why did Miyamoto, in his right mind, decided to make Zelda a live-action movie?! I'm sorry, but there is no way the movie is going to be taken seriously. It will be cheese and induce cringe. If it's done like The Lord of the Rings, it will be weird. If it has less production value, it will be awful.

There's one franchise that feels perfectly for live action, and that's Metroid. Practically all other Nintendo franchises should be animated, and they just should play with the animation style depending on the franchise. Did they not learn from the amazing Smash Bros character announcements?

The Zelda movie is going to fail. It's not going to be Mario Bros level of failure, but Hollywood will not lose the chance of messing with it (they even did it with Super Mario Movie), and add stupid, useless things (also americanize many of the characters). Specially with this guy.
Exactly! Literally Peter Jackson making it would still be pretty bad. It's just not live action material.

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/

The guy ruined Spider-Man 3 and drove Sam Raimi away. Feige was building Marvel Studios at the time and getting Iron Man ready to go into production.

Sam Raimi wanted Ben Kingsley to play the Vulture in Spider-Man 3, because Raimi was really more familiar and fond of the 60's villain line up. Avi Arad forced him to remove Vulture and replace him with Venom because Arad said "kids love Venom it'll sell toys".

He's also responsible for Sony not making Spider-Man movies anymore and Marvel doing them after ASM2 where the movie lost something like $75 million when Arad ignored every single one of Kevin Feige's suggestions on how to improve the movie.

Damn, well fuck him and his baldy friend who isn't fooling anyone wearing stupid hats all the time.

That's why we should stop asking for gaming cinematics adaptations. It is mostly a monkey paw wish. Kill the project at its infancy, pls.

wipeout364

This is interesting, I had not paid attention to this guy but it sounds like he has a terrible track record.

It’s crazy that Sony give him such expensive properties to work with. Maybe the failure of Borderlands will damage his reputation after Madame Web, Venom and Morbius.

Sethbacca

I gotta think Nintendo will have more quality controls around their IP licensing where it won't release unless they're happy with it. They're kind of notorious for being incredibly difficult to work with exactly because of that.

Last edited:

Zones

OP, being the disingenuous person he is, with a clear hate boner for the guy 'forgot' to mention his involvement towards the excellent Spider-Verse movies. Here's one example:

"The Spot was not originally the film's main antagonist, being dismissed at first by Phil Lord and Christopher Miller when producer Avi Arad suggested using him, but this changed after the potential of his powers was discussed."

Oh and in the credits of No Way Home (one of the biggest movies of all time), you can see this tidbit...

FHGPineXsAIJVNp

But no of course let's credit and glorify Feige for the likes of Spider-Man 2 and disqualify Arad's successful initiatives in order to simply spread a narrative that vilify the guy.

The worst part here is that this is not even an original take or narrative; fact of the matter is the entire movie industry has an unhealthily negative obsession with this guy.

Švejk

Banned
Another Isreali magically getting all the big gigs. Why not get Inon Zur to do the score while you're at it. Because they have all the talent, right?

Kabelly

Venom is one of the worst character assassinations I have ever witnessed. Just a cringe ass movie. Tom also needs to enunciate his words more.

BlackTron

Wait for the statement that no one involved with the production has ever played the game. They want to do their own version.

"We considered having someone play the latest Zelda, but ultimately, we decided that going in with a completely clean slate would allow for the purest, unfiltered vision which we felt was important from the beginning"

"After strong reaction from fans and communication from Nintendo, we have decided to sample the latest title starring Princess Zelda to ensure we fully understand this series. We want to thank fans for their feedback to ensure this will be the best movie it can be"

Pick a timeline.

SJRB

Gold Member
Fucking hell it's Avi Arad, one of the biggest turds in Hollywood. Just the absolute worst.

This guy is so bad at what he does and is responsible for so many terrible movies it's almost based.

Topher

Gold Member

Feige didn't build Marvel Studios. Marvel Studios was founded four years before Feige started working there.

Last edited:

stickkidsam

Luckily I didn’t have any hope for this in the first place.

Somehow I’m sure I’ll still be disappointed though.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Feige didn't build Marvel Studios. Marvel Studios was founded four years before Feige started working there.

He built Marvel Studios as they exist now. It was just a licensing company until 2004 when they decided to produce their own movies with the properties they still owned. Feige became president in 2007 (which is why Arad ruined Spider-Man 3 and drove away Raimi) to make their first movie, Iron Man.

Fbh

Why narrow it down to just 1 person?
It's Sony pictures, most of their stuff (at least in recent years) is trash. The main writer (or at least the only one listed on IMDB) is one of the writers of The Rise of Skywalker and all the awful new Jurassic World Movies. The director made 1 ok Apes movie and a bunch of generic young adult movie adaptations.

It's going to be the same as the Mario Movie. Some uninspired generic stuff with a barely relevant plot that's just going to be used as an excuse to show references and cameos for 2 hours, except with the added cringe factor of real actors an green screens instead of high quality 3D animations like the Mario movie.

It's probably still going to do well at the box office. It's a super popular IP and it will have cameos and references, that's the key to success these days.

Krathoon

The beauty of Zelda is that you can make a whole different story. Just as long as you still have certain elements. So, it is harder to screw up. You would have to try really hard to mess it up.

Top Bottom