• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS2 RPG season is about to start

Neutron Night said:
Explain why Dragon Quarter doesn't suck.

It's easier to say what was wrong with it rather than extolling its infinite moments of glory.

-Too fucking easy
-Celshading isn't PS2's forté

Otherwise it's absolutely perfect.

Wow. You don't like Dragon Quarter or Valkyrie Profile?

No, I like Valkryie Profile, I just vastly prefer a normal RPG structure. Dragon Quarter I don't like.

The entire structure of DQ rocks. It's one big fancy, beautifully realized dungeon crawl for fans of JRPG's.

~D-Counter and D/Ratio rocks. The replay and survival systems for working through the ranks rock.

~The combat system, and character building fucking own. Every character is vastly different, but melds together peferectly, the balance is sick. And unlike STUPID ToS (which I love) you get all of your characters super early in, and none are never removed for the sake of dumb anime-centric plot twists.

~Level of challenge was almost perfect. For me at least.

~The story isn't nearly as cookie cutter as everything else on the marker, and is decently written in that it doesn't drag like 99.999% of JRPG's that have 10,000 pages of dialogue that could be condensed into 100.

~It has one of the few solid OST's this gen, and the obtuse art direction rox.

~It punishes people who play the game wrong/poorly. Watching prior BoF and generic RPG fans try to cope with this, ultimately to run crying and bitching and posting negative impressions all over slob sites like GameFaqs was fun within itself.

~It erases your game if you try and cheat and wont let you copy saves, surely an extension of the above, but funny enough to be listed seperately.

~Dungeon crawls > all.

If you want a dungeon crawler, play Dark Cloud 2, the best RPG of this game.

A game that values "challenge" and tedious repetition over graphics, story, and FUN is not worth anything. Neither is a game that actually fucks around with your saves.

Valkryie Profile had beautiful graphics and art direction, and a cool story. BOF5 has neither. I want my RPGs to be epic. BOF5, well, isn't. I want my RPG's to be, you know, OUTDOORS.

I will quote NetJak's review from Metacritic:

The pathetic attributes of this failed experiment are disgusting. Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter is a poor excuse for an RPG. It is an attempt at innovation, perhaps. But it can also be the lazy solution for a group of developers who didn't want to put in the time to make a quality RPG.

Otherwise it's absolutely perfect.

Wow, I envy you. It must be nice having such low standards.

belgurdo

Banned
Neutron Night said:
Thanks. I already was utterly disdainful of a Mega Man RPG, now that I know it's from the people behind the crap know as BOF5 I have ever more reason to pretend this game doesn't exist.

Please stop posting

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Dragon Quarter blew chunder in my books, but I'm not gonna argue about it.
Anyway, I'm probably going to purchase every damn RPG mentioned here. Lordy lordy.
Suikoden IV can't come soon enough. Well, actually, it can come after I finish Suikoden III again.

Nuetron, you don't care for innovation much, do you? Seems like you never want your games to take chances. If it were up to people like you, we'd all play nothing but Dragon Quest clones. (No disrespect to DQ)

BobbyRobby said:
Nuetron, you don't care for innovation much, do you? Seems like you never want your games to take chances. If it were up to people like you, we'd all play nothing but Final Fantasy clones.

Fixed. DQ has had more innovation in DQIII alone than most of the FF franchise as a whole. :p

Neutron Night said:
Yes, I don't consider short games to be epic. BOF5 is only slightly longer than Vagrant Story.

Epic:

n.

1. An extended narrative poem in elevated or dignified language, celebrating the feats of a legendary or traditional hero.
2. A literary or dramatic composition that resembles an extended narrative poem celebrating heroic feats.
3. A series of events considered appropriate to an epic: the epic of the Old West.

adj.

1. Of, constituting, having to do with, or suggestive of a literary epic: an epic poem.
2. Surpassing the usual or ordinary, particularly in scope or size: “A vast musical panorama... it requires an epic musical understanding to do it justice” (Tim Page).
3. Heroic and impressive in quality: “Here in the courtroom... there was more of that epic atmosphere, the extra amperage of a special moment” (Scott Turow).

Beowulf is an epic, and it doesn't hit 200 pages in modern publishings.

The Epic of Gilgamesh is even shorter.

Length is to epical as Square is to gameplay. ie: Irrelevent.

Nuetron, you don't care for innovation much, do you? Seems like you never want your games to take chances. If it were up to people like you, we'd all play nothing but Dragon Quest clones. (No disrespect to DQ)

When we reach the stage where gameplay can't be improved, then start worrying about trying wierd stuff. You talk as if the "traditional" RPG formula (such as, a epic storyline, actual outdoor enviroments, etc), couldn't be improved.

The funny thing is that BOF5 is actually a very linear game. I'm amazed that a "hardcore" RPG fan would defend a game of such limited scope.

Epic:

n.

1. An extended narrative poem in elevated or dignified language, celebrating the feats of a legendary or traditional hero.
2. A literary or dramatic composition that resembles an extended narrative poem celebrating heroic feats.
3. A series of events considered appropriate to an epic: the epic of the Old West.

adj.

1. Of, constituting, having to do with, or suggestive of a literary epic: an epic poem.
2. Surpassing the usual or ordinary, particularly in scope or size: “A vast musical panorama... it requires an epic musical understanding to do it justice” (Tim Page).
3. Heroic and impressive in quality: “Here in the courtroom... there was more of that epic atmosphere, the extra amperage of a special moment” (Scott Turow).

Beowulf is an epic, and it doesn't hit 200 pages in modern publishings.

The Epic of Gilgamesh is even shorter.

Length is to epical as Square is to gameplay. ie: Irrelevent.

In other words, pretty much any RPG is an "epic". Thanks for the definition.

Neutron Night said:
When we reach the stage where gameplay can't be improved, then start worrying about trying wierd stuff. You talk as if the "traditional" RPG formula (such as, a epic storyline, actual outdoor enviroments, etc), couldn't be improved.

The funny thing is that BOF5 is actually a very linear game. I'm amazed that a "hardcore" RPG fan would defend a game of such limited scope.

Linear? Very. Limited in scope? Hardly. I'm not sure what game you've played, but it wasn't Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter.

scope ( P ) Pronunciation Key (skp)
n.
1. The range of one's perceptions, thoughts, or actions.
2. Breadth or opportunity to function.
3. The area covered by a given activity or subject.

By my interpretation, running around a cave for 20 hours is not my idea of scope. Apparently yours differs.

Neutron Night said:
By my interpretation, running around a cave for 20 hours is not my idea of scope. Apparently yours differs.

Scope = Battle System, and that's barely scratching the surface of what BOF accomplishes. Try again.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
MoxManiac said:
Yes they do. I masturbate to my copies of both games frequently.

miyamoto.gif

NotMSRP

So who's going to follow my lead and wait for price drops unless its name is Atlus?

I have BOF:DQ sitting in my room somewhere sealed. Have I commited a crime?

Neutron Night said:

This is not what I'm saying. I still think there's a place for the traditional RPG. In fact, its probably my favorite genre, and it can always be improved.

I also think games like Valkyrie Profile and BOF: DQ have a place too, and are great for their own unique reasons. You can't blame developers for trying new things.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Dragona Akehi said:
Scope = Battle System, and that's barely scratching the surface of what BOF accomplishes. Try again.

How about this, most of the shit is useless and the game is too easy and no fun.
Hooray!

Meier

I'll be getting Phantom Brave although I cant decide if it'll be any time near launch. Also interested in Star Ocean 3 although I'll get it when it's cheaper.

No, scope = entire game. Since you only mentioned the battle system, you're proving my point. A game with large scope is a game that does everything.

Whatever, it's obvious this argument is getting nowhere. I don't want to be banned again, so let's just agree to disagree and drop this discussion.

Ferrio

Banned
I don't understand this incredible lack of difficulty in Dragon Quarter.

I had a fucking HELL of a time beating the game, of course I didn't use any of the SOL systems.

Che

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
Didn't you hear? Square USA doesn't believe in Dragon Warrior. IT'S ALL IN YOUR MIND.

If the fuckers don't release it in the US I'll hate them forever. SquareEnix is way too mainstream IMO, and it's getting annoying.

Neutron Night said:
No, scope = entire game. Since you only mentioned the battle system, you're proving my point. A game with large scope is a game that does everything.

Whatever, it's obvious this argument is getting nowhere. I don't want to be banned again, so let's just agree to disagree and drop this discussion.

You note that I said that the battle system was "barely scratching the surface". The entire game comes into a cohesive core that's quite fantastic. Mythos, characters, setting, battle, dungeon design, the limitations on your Dragon powers, music... I could go on. It's easily the best RPG this generation. Taking the strategic core of an SRPG and placing it into an RPG with its own quirks and requirements.

Ferrio: Among the more heinous crimes is how you can abuse Items to death. It's terrible.

The SOL system is simply unecessary. So the Mario jump analogy is out the window right there. I never had a problem with the game whatsoever, and I beat it without dying/restarting/hitting 100% D-Counter.

I was at the last fucking boss with 48 fucking percent. They could have done many things to make it much more difficult. That's my only real problem with the game.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
I still insist that there's going to be a huge backlash of hatred once Star Ocean 3 is released here.

Che said:
If the fuckers don't release it in the US I'll hate them forever. SquareEnix is way too mainstream IMO, and it's getting annoying.

I don't know why you keep adding "Enix" to Square USA. As far as they're concerned, Enix is a mythical 8-bit creature from the distant past. NEVER EXISTED. :p

RevenantKioku

Dragona Akehi said:
I don't know why you keep adding "Enix" to Square USA. As far as they're concerned, Enix is a mythical 8-bit creature from the distant past. NEVER EXISTED. :p

You're all the hate of Drinky, without the funny.

Anyway, we got denied DQ4 before the merger right?

explodet

We also got denied Dragon Quest Monsters: Caravan Hearts, Slime MoriMori, Dragon Quest 5 remake... uh, am I forgetting anything?

RevenantKioku

explodet said:
We also got denied Dragon Quest Monsters: Caravan Hearts, Slime MoriMori, Dragon Quest 5 remake... uh, am I forgetting anything?

We also got denied 5 and 6 originally.
My point is we got denied from enix long before they had relations with square.

jarrod

Banned
RevenantKioku said:
Only because Heartbeat folded... Enix of America wanted to release it.

RevenantKioku said:
We also got denied 5 and 6 originally./QUOTE]
We were denied DQ5 because it was seen as relatively simple (looked too much like the old NES games). We were denied DQ6 because Enix USA no longer existed by that point.

RevenantKioku said:
My point is we got denied from enix long before they had relations with square.
Not due to Enix directly though, they were actively pushing DQ. They released 6 DQ games on PS1/GBC before the merger.

RevenantKioku said:
You're all the hate of Drinky, without the funny.

It's gotten worse since the merger, is my point. ENIX USA would have brought Slime Mori Mori, among other things. Carvan Hearts? Yes.

And I'm not passing on the DQ4 bit. I was incredibly incensed about that. Supposedly that was Heartbeat's fault... something I don't quite buy. However, it wasn't long after that, that ENIX USA was dissolved... yet again.

RevenantKioku

jarrod said:
Only because Heartbeat folded... Enix of America wanted to release it.

Meh, FF > DQ for me anyway. Although it is a shame about mori mori, that game is quite fun.

Vargas

BobbyRobby said:
Anyone else look on the back of the DQVII manual from time to time, and cry?

I find myself doing that from time to time. I won't give up hope on the DQ5 remake though. We got Final Fantasy IV and Chrono Trigger on the PS1 eventually so maybe if DQ8 sells well Square will give us DQ5.

ferricide

BobbyRobby said:
Anyone else look on the back of the DQVII manual from time to time, and cry?
yeah, but that's mostly because touching DWVII makes me sick anymore, and the idea of playing another game using that engine actually hurts me.

Vargas said:
I find myself doing that from time to time. I won't give up hope on the DQ5 remake though. We got Final Fantasy IV and Chrono Trigger on the PS1 eventually so maybe if DQ8 sells well Square will give us DQ5.
it is so awesome when someone in a thread like this finally says something astute. not that anybody ever notices! look, it's logic. hello, logic!

Shouta

Technically, I call out Dragona why more then kiryogi does and I've argued with Dragona quite a bit about Dragon Quarter. ;p

Big hurt on the wallet. 4 games I'm getting for sure (SO3, Growlanser Generations, Phantom Brave, and Nocturne).

Scott

Too many games, so little time, ...and money. And me without a job. :(
Diomedeskun said:
I will probably get Shadow Hearts 2 if I can get that free part 1 deal with gamestop at a store. My friends at the store I used to work at (while it was FuncoLand) have heard nothing about it in-store so far.
Well, the deal was just formally announced like, yesterday, so you should probably check back a little later in the month and see if they're offering it. If not, maybe order online?

As for Koudelka, you couldn't make yourself play it for very long because, by and large, it sucks. Hard. :p
Riskbreaker said:
Wasn't Samurai Legend Musashi supposed to be release this winter also?
That was the announced timeframe at E3, yeah, but since then there hasn't been any word about the game what-so-ever. Sadly, I don't think we're going to get it until next year... :(
Alex said:
Am I the only one who likes Symphonia's dub though? I think it's freaking excellent for a localized game.
Lloyd does a great job, the rest of the characters in your party to good-to-bad. As far as other characters go, such as the Desians, they're absolutely freaking horrible.

Overall, I think the dub is merely "good." While it's a damn sight better than Eternia's, it's still not even in the same league as Kingdom Hearts & Xenosaga.
Dragona Akehi said:
Fixed. DQ has had more innovation in DQIII alone than most of the FF franchise as a whole. :p
Are we talking innovation in the RPG genre, or innovation within the series' themselves?

If we're talking in the RPG genre, what about Final Fantasy II & III (JP)? Both of these titles came out around Dragon Quest III, and had remarkably innovative gameplay systems for their time (many of which are duplicated even today). Final Fantasy also brought to the table the party-based battle system, which DQII adopted soon after. So while DQIII was no doubt innovative in quite a few ways, you're ignoring what FF has influenced over the years. And to say DQIII alone is more innovative than the entire FF franchise? Well, you're reaching there.

And if we're talking about innovation within the series themselves? Well, no contest there really.
Neutron Night said:
Yes, I don't consider short games to be epic.
Epic has zero to do with length, sorry.
Neutron Night said:
Is linearity something that could really make or break a game? The direction, the scope, the writing, the atmosphere, the characters, the world... All of this is so much more important than the style of progression. And besides, a linear design in of itself is not a bad thing at all, it's all in how the developers handle the flow/pacing, and the overall design of the game as a whole.

And personally, I loved Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter. Hands down one of my favorite RPGs on the PS2, or even all time. I'm not about to get into a pissing contest to defend why I think so, however, or sling insults at you because you happen to dislike it... I'm not that childish. I'll just say you may want to give the game a second chance, as I really think you're dismissing a lot of what it does right.
Ferrio said:
I don't understand this incredible lack of difficulty in Dragon Quarter.
That's because there isn't an "incrediable lack" at all. For some reason, Dragona just likes to flex her RPG playing muscles as if to say "I beat it better than you did." However that's possible.
Dragona Akehi said:
Sure, because it's not like Drakengard, Star Ocean, and Full Metal Alchemist are Enix's properties. Of course, this is also excluding the planned DS games, as they have a strong chance of coming over as well... Hmm.

As for Dragon Warrior, john_tv and others have suggested Square Enix USA plans to re-establish the brand here with VIII, and see how things go from there. It makes sense, and if it works out, I'm sure we'll see the series revived here.

Though where that leaves current games, is anybody's guess... I want my Slime Morimori. :(

Pachinko

I too hated dragon quarter . I"ll never see why people like that game so much, it has an interesting battle system I guess but I'd rather play a straight up dungeon crawl like evolution instead of one that pretends to be lots of different kinds of games at the same time.

Also the sheer concept of the SOL system is just something that irritates me in games. I mean since the days of the NES I've hated doing parts of a level over just becuase I died. So to me a game, an RPG at that, which activly encourages the player to fuck up and start over is just about the least attractive game on earth to me. If it's battle engine were applied to a more by the book RPG though , I'd rank it up there as one of the best games.

nitewulf

SO3 right away cause its got my kinda battle system and graphics, though i dont dig the character designs.
SMT is must buy, as is DDS. just for the art mind you, i have no clue as to the gameplay or story, hell they both might turn out to dissapoint me.
ill hold off on phantom brave till its cheaper, and buy shadow hearts 2 pending reviews of the battle system, as i hated the first game's battle system.
nay on wild arms, suikoden 4 etc.

ps: thought dragon quarter was a hard ass game? i thought that was one of the major complaints against it? anyway, sounds too weird for my tastes.

nitewulf

jarrod said:
BIZZARF!

DQVIII will make everyone see the light. :)

explain why, im really curious. i saw the screen shots, toriyama designs, nice cell shaded graphics etc. what is so special about DQ games? deep story, intricate dungeons? exciting battle system? what?

Top Bottom