• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS5 Pro Proves AI Upscaling Is the Future

XXL

Now that the PS5 Pro has been revealed, we know a little bit about the hardware that will be powering it. Sony hasn’t come out and revealed exactly what generation of graphics it's going to be using, so for all we know, it’s still using the RDNA 2 architecture found in the original PS5. After all, if it was using a newer architecture, the ‘47% increase’ in compute units would mean an absolutely monumental lift in performance if it was running on the yet-to-be-revealed RDNA 4 architecture that AMD’s next graphics cards will be based on.

Take this with a grain of salt, but it’s likely Nvidia was able to move to a more general model because of the vast amount of training data it received, making the model able to learn off of more general visual data. That’s why Sony will probably be able to skip Nvidia’s early step and make PSSR generally available to any game developer that wants to use it. The company has likely been gathering training data for the entire generation, as it controls the PS5 platform – an advantage Nvidia doesn’t have.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
>Been going on on PC for 4-5 years
>The PS5 Pro which has yet to be released proves AI upscaling is the future
Yeah, sounds like an IGN article, alright.

Also:

Sony hasn’t come out and revealed exactly what generation of graphics it's going to be using, so for all we know, it’s still using the RDNA 2 architecture found in the original PS5.

oh boy dunk GIF

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Lmao. Nvidia proved that years ago.

This is the same shit as SSDs suddenly becoming magical while I looked at my PC which had been running SSDs for a decade when the PS5 Amateur released.
They mentioned nVidia in the article and the difference in speeds they were able to reach due to a closed platform advantage and their AI history in TVs for years.

Clickbait title? Yes.

Will this being in consoles push this more into the mainstream which we will all benefit from for all platforms? Yes.

Last edited:

MujkicHaris

As long as developers have an option to not use it by default and leave it to the user's choice, I am fine with these cringy, click-bait titles by IGN.

Because I am sure, some developers that are hyper dedicated to their craft don't think using AI upscaling is the future.

Last edited:

ap_puff

It will start soon as the other camp will be using a different solution
I highly doubt the "other camp" will be using any other solution than the one AMD has by default. And even if they do, it's going to be ass, just like the stuff they came up with this gen which was a complete and utter bust.

XXL

IGN praises AI upscaling (as they should)

PC gamers reaction
Angry Gaspar Noe GIF by Arrow Video

This is good thing.

They also make a pretty good point about PSSR on PS5.
That’s why Sony will probably be able to skip Nvidia’s early step and make PSSR generally available to any game developer that wants to use it. The company has likely been gathering training data for the entire generation, as it controls the PS5 platform – an advantage Nvidia doesn’t have.

Gaiff

its huge for us console peasants.
Absolutely, but this also reminds me that we have now no less than 3 AI-based upscaling solutions and 2 hardware-agnostic ones. I can't imagine devs being happy with this many. Microsoft might also develop their own eventually or go with whatever solution AMD comes up with in the future. That's going to be yet another one added onto the pile.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
To be fair like people are saying, this was proved years ago on PC and anyone with a DLSS capable GPU would be stupid to run things natively if they could get better performance (perception) from using AI upscaling.

I imagine resolution is just the start, textures, shaders and other things further down in the pipeline could benefit.

JimboJones

Take this with a grain of salt, but it’s likely Nvidia was able to move to a more general model because of the vast amount of training data it received, making the model able to learn off of more general visual data. That’s why Sony will probably be able to skip Nvidia’s early step and make PSSR generally available to any game developer that wants to use it. The company has likely been gathering training data for the entire generation, as it controls the PS5 platform – an advantage Nvidia doesn’t have.

This sounds like something pulled from the authors butt hole 😅.

But yeah, if the pro model is that expensive and the PS5 (and even Series) isn't dropping in price, AI will probably be used to enhance visuals in other aspects over pure brute force.
I don't see any other way they can offer a next gen experience at a reasonable cost.

twilo99

Gold Member
How can ms and sony differ so much when they are both using AMD hardware? My bet is that whatever they are doing is very closely related to AMD's take

LordOfChaos

Pretty much a "duh" at this point. Neural rendering will take over more and more of the rendering stack, not just upscaling the final image eventually.

Unknown?

What a realization!
And it's only several years too late.
UE4 has Temporal upscaling since 2018. DLSS2 since 2020.
And then we got more upscalers like FSR2, XeSS, TSR, etc...

No Shit Sherlock GIF by Team Coco
Sony games have been using checkerboard upscaling forever too, AI is just a newer version of it. Next!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
How can ms and sony differ so much when they are both using AMD hardware? My bet is that whatever they are doing is very closely related to AMD's take
This was all Sony custom R&D, which AMD will benefit from working closely with them, obviously. Sony had them make custom block(s) on the cores of the APU for Sony to impalement their years of R&D from the PS4 Pro to imaging sensors (which they are world leaders in) and AI scaling in their televisions (again, world leaders in).

Sony games have been using checkerboard upscaling forever too, AI is just a newer version of it. Next!
Since 2016+ at retail (PS4 Pro launch). People laughed at them back then for using that solution in the Pro, now people want to give praise since 2018+ after others followed suit. DLSS was 2019+

Last edited:

DanielG165

This reminds of Apple's approach of adopting a technology that has been around for a while and it suddenly becomes this amazing new thing they did....
Typically, Apple waits for a segment to mature enough before jumping in with their own take on it, and such a strategy has consistently worked well for them.

winjer

Gold Member

PC gamers reaction

This is good thing.

Your read IGN, so no wonder you are so misinformed.
PC Gamers are not mad about IGN praising AI upscaling. We are just making fun of them for taking so long to realize something so obvious.

And in regards to that sentence, it just reeks of ignorance.
That’s why Sony will probably be able to skip Nvidia’s early step and make PSSR generally available to any game developer that wants to use it. The company has likely been gathering training data for the entire generation, as it controls the PS5 platform – an advantage Nvidia doesn’t have.

Let's start with the obvious, having the PS5 does not mean they can use that console to train an AI.
AI training requires specific hardware, that the PS5 does not have. Sony very likely trained their AI upscaler using Nvidia hardware. Or AMD's MI Instinct hardware.

But even if that was true, NVidia has access to millions of users using Nvidia GPUs, a lot of them with Tensor Units.
And Nvidia's software does report data back to the company. Though it's not training data, but rather meta data regarding crashes, performance, user preferences, etc.

Gaiff

PC gamers reaction

This is good thing.

Nah, we just mock them because even console users realized AI-based upscaling was the future several years ago.

twilo99

Gold Member
Typically, Apple waits for a segment to mature enough before jumping in with their own take on it, and such a strategy has consistently worked well for them.

Yes, of course, and because of that when they do something they do it well, but it still doesn't change the fact that they often, through their marketing, would have you believe that they came up with the underlying technology, which I disagree with.

Last edited:

XXL

Your read IGN, so no wonder you are so misinformed.
PC Gamers are not mad about IGN praising AI upscaling. We are just making fun of them for taking so long to realize something so obvious.

And in regards to that sentence, it just reeks of ignorance.
Relax, the gif was a joke.

Let's start with the obvious, having the PS5 does not mean they can use that console to train an AI.
AI training requires specific hardware, that the PS5 does not have. Sony very likely trained their AI upscaler using Nvidia hardware. Or AMD's MI Instinct hardware.

But even if that was true, NVidia has access to millions of users using Nvidia GPUs, a lot of them with Tensor Units.
And Nvidia's software does report data back to the company. Though it's not training data, but rather meta data regarding crashes, performance, user preferences, etc.
It wasn't that deep and Playstation absolutely has a ton of visual data to train the AI.

Don't worry I wasn't insulting Nvidia....

Top Bottom