• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS5 Pro Proves AI Upscaling Is the Future

Zathalus

For all the mentioning about the Pro, the first game with temporal upscaling actually came out in 2015 already, Rainbow Six Siege. Not the first upscaler in general, but the first temporal one.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
With that said, consoles having it will drive it more to the mainstream normies as well, which we will all benefit from in the long run. Which was the crux of the article outside of the panty arguing off the clickbait title.
See, that's what I mentioned before, PSSR is another proprietary solution, so I'm not sure what it will do as far as popularizing AI upscalers outside of the PS ecosystem. Ideally, we'd have one solution that works on every platform and looks as good as DLSS. The best hardware agnostic solution is FSR and it kinda sucks for a lot of things.

I'm not that interested in all those upscalers if they battle it out but remain indefinitely proprietary. What I always wanted was for them to compete for a few years to really advance the method until someone comes up with one ubiquitous option that works for everything. Probably isn't happening but meh.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
See, that's what I mentioned before, PSSR is another proprietary solution, so I'm not sure what it will do as far as popularizing AI upscalers outside of the PS ecosystem. Ideally, we'd have one solution that works on every platform and looks as good as DLSS. The best hardware agnostic solution is FSR and it kinda sucks for a lot of things.

I'm not that interested in all those upscalers if they battle it out but remain indefinitely proprietary. What I always wanted was for them to compete for a few years to really advance the method until someone comes up with one ubiquitous option that works for everything. Probably isn't happening but meh.
That's if Sony keeps it proprietary. They may benefit more by eventually expanding it, like XeSS, which the article spitballed since it will be running on AMD hardware.

Gaiff

I doubt it’s difficult to implement with the SDK, so likely not a major issue
Probably isn't, but that's 5 options. That's a lot. PSSR for Sony. DLSS, TAA, FSR, and XeSS for PC. Xbox might also make their own or AMD will come up with their AI-based one next year. That's a crowded space.

XXL

What do you mean it wasn't that serious? DLSS2 paved the way for all modern AI upscalers. Temporal and Spatial. In videogames and in video.
Is English your first language? I'm not being an asshole, I'm generally just asking.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
For all the mentioning about the Pro, the first game with temporal upscaling actually came out in 2015 already, Rainbow Six Siege. Not the first upscaler in general, but the first temporal one.

Are you talking about 2-pass CheckerBoard Temporal Filtering?
I think they then replaced it with TAA. But The TAA wasn't doing upscaling. And the CheckerBoard Temporal Filtering was just an interlacing technique with a blending pass, so it was not generating new pixels.

ap_puff

But there are no pixels being generated with CB.
The raster is rendering one group of pixels in one frame, then another set on another frame.
That's just incorrect.
If checkerboard rendering were just interpolation it would look like absolute ass. Sure it takes previous frame data for the missing pixels but it also uses filters/algorithms on top to do error correction.

Unknown?

That is not even correct to say that CB is an upscaler. It's just interpolation.
DLSS, especially DLSS2 is a very different tech from interpolating pixels with every other frame.
They still championed fake 4K after shitting on it, was the point.
They also shat on DLSS1. Almost as if they didn't care for low-quality solutions.

Cool, it's not an AI upscaler.

The solution that proved that AI upscalers were the future was DLSS, not checkerboard rendering that was seemingly difficult to implement and only saw the light of day in a select titles. What are we doing here exactly? Trying to discredit DLSS or trying to credit Sony with coming up with AI upscalers for games because they had it in their TVs? The AI upscaling revolution in games really took off with DLSS2. DLSS1 was trash and laughed at.
Not credit for AI, just saying that faking higher resolutions has been ongoing for a long time.

Gaiff

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
That's just incorrect.
If checkerboard rendering were just interpolation it would look like absolute ass. Sure it takes previous frame data for the missing pixels but it also uses filters/algorithms on top to do error correction.

That is an interlacing technique for video. So what?
Google has a ton of patents for video compression, deinterlacing, etc.

winjer

Gold Member
Ok. This makes sense now.
I wasn't saying that at all.

Now I have to ask you if you are not a native speaker. Because you just keep beating around the bush.
So I'll ask you again in what way DLSS was not that "deep" or not that "serious".

XXL

Now I have to ask you if you are not a native speaker. Because you just keep beating around the bush.
So I'll ask you again in what way DLSS was not that "deep" or not that "serious".
Stop It Neil Patrick Harris GIF

Gaiff

Lol. Thanks. I was getting super confused.
Honestly, I can't blame him with all these new expressions being thrown around. I have a 13-year old niece and half the time, I have no idea what heck she's talking about with all of their weird slangs. Hell, even people not that much younger than me confuse me. I had to google what an "insta thot" was when my younger cousin texted me about it.

ap_puff

That is an interlacing technique for video. So what?
Google has a ton of patents for video compression, deinterlacing, etc.
Read it again. It's for reconstructing a higher resolution image from two lower resolution images based on applying an algorithm detecting the shift in pixels from one frame to the next.

"coalescing pixels from each of the reference image and the shifted images creating an uprendered image having a higher resolution than the reference image."

That's what checkerboard rendering does.

winjer

Gold Member
when someone says "it's not that deep" they mean "don't take it (the discussion) so seriously", the phrase is basically meant as a "relax bro" type statement.

You are missing the context. This is what he said in response to me talking about Nvidia and DLSS.
He was clearly and specifically referring to DLSS. Not to the conversation itself.

It wasn't that deep and Playstation absolutely has a ton of visual data to train the AI.

Don't worry I wasn't insulting Nvidia....

XXL

Honestly, I can't blame him with all these new expressions being thrown around. I have a 13-year old niece and half the time, I have no idea what heck she's talking about with all of their weird slangs. Hell, even people not that much younger than me confuse me. I had to google what an "insta thot" was when my younger cousin texted me about it.
100% my kids walk around saying the weirdest shit.

ap_puff

You are missing the context. This is what he said in response to me talking about Nvidia and DLSS.
He was clearly and specifically referring to DLSS. Not to the conversation itself.
i'm not missing any context. You're the one who's being confrontational for no reason due to a misunderstanding. His statement isn't about DLSS at all, it's about you becoming weirdly aggressive.

winjer

Gold Member
Read it again. It's for reconstructing a higher resolution image from two lower resolution images based on applying an algorithm detecting the shift in pixels from one frame to the next.

"coalescing pixels from each of the reference image and the shifted images creating an uprendered image having a higher resolution than the reference image."

That's what checkerboard rendering does.

Yes, that is called blending. But it's not generating new pixels, it's just trying to mix the data from one frame with the data from another frame.
We have been doing deinterlacing techniques for a long time. That patent is just Google's improvement.
And CB also does blending, otherwise it would look very jarring.

vkbest

It's neither. It's interpolation. Something that has been done for decades. Even in videogames.
It's just interlacing one set of pixels in one frame, then another set of pixels in another frame. It's not that difficult to understand.
You can try to insult as much as you want, but the fact remains you don't understand the tech.
CB in PS4 Pro don’t use interpolation lol

winjer

Gold Member
i'm not missing any context. You're the one who's being confrontational for no reason due to a misunderstanding. His statement isn't about DLSS at all, it's about you becoming weirdly aggressive.

Then he is the one that can't speak proper English. The subject in his sentence does not match the context.

Radical_3d

Ok. That was an interesting googling.

Gaiff

Then he is the one that can't speak proper English. The subject in his sentence does not match the context.
It's a coincidence. "It's not that deep" is an expression. It just so happens that DLSS means Deep Learning Super Sampling. The "Deep" are completely unrelated lol.

It's like if I told you Iceman isn't that cool and you went, "but he can freeze things down to -273 C. How is that not cool?"

hinch7

IGN late the party as usual with their takes. DLSS 2.0 and to a lesser extent XeSS (XMX) have been a thing for years.

Its just AMD and the rest of the industry are extremely slow to catch up. Same with realtime RT in games and other innovations Nvidia has brought through the last several years.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
It's a coincidence. "It's not that deep" is an expression. It just so happens that DLSS means Deep Learning Super Sampling. The "Deep" are completely unrelated lol.

It's like if I told you Iceman isn't that cool and you went, "but he can freeze things down to -273 C. How is that not cool?"

The subject of the discussion we were having, was DLSS. If one of the interlocutors requires to change the subject, then it has to be named, it can't be referred as "it". Otherwise, other interlocutors will continue to understand the subject remains the same. This is basic grammar, in any language.
In this case, he should have named the "discussion" or the "article" as not being that deep.

XXL

The subject of the discussion we were having, was DLSS. If one of the interlocutors requires to change the subject, then it has to be named, it can't be referred as "it". Otherwise, other interlocutors will continue to understand the subject remains the same. This is basic grammar, in any language.
In this case, he should have named the "discussion" or the "article" as not being that deep.
Simon Cowell GIF by America's Got Talent

Gaiff

Yeah, but it was kind of funny that you thought he meant that DLSS isn't that deep when it's called deep learning lol.

Anyway, you learned a new expression (please, don't start using it. I hate it).

winjer

Gold Member

The funny part is that a non-native speaker knows better English than you.
Then you pretend it's the other person's fault.

Yeah, but it was kind of funny that you thought he meant that DLSS isn't that deep when it's called deep learning lol.

Anyway, you learned a new expression (please, don't start using it. I hate it).

But I know that expression. It doesn't take a native speaker to know it.
What it doesn't make sense is his grammar structure.

shamoomoo

It's neither. It's interpolation. Something that has been done for decades. Even in videogames.
It's just interlacing one set of pixels in one frame, then another set of pixels in another frame. It's not that difficult to understand.
You can try to insult as much as you want, but the fact remains you don't understand the tech.
Does the method really matter? At least Sony's version was expanded to increase perceived visual clarity comparable to a native resolution.

ap_puff

The funny part is that a non-native speaker knows better English than you.
Then you pretend it's the other person's fault.

But I know that expression. It doesn't take a native speaker to know it.
What it doesn't make sense is his grammar structure.
bro
it's not that deep

smug GIF

• LOL
Reactions: XXL
Top Bottom