• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ratchet & Clank 3 impressions topic.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
If ya got the game post 'em up here please. I am familiar with the Siege multiplayer mode but really not much else, though there was a single player level at E3. I am contemplating sleeping outside of my gamestop tonight as there will undoubtedly be a long line for the game. They should have done a midnight selling. Project deadlines kicking my ass will not allow me to though. :(

By all accounts, using gamerankings as a reference, the game is stellar. I defy anyone to dislike it. I will go to your house and show you why the game rocks... but yeah uh, currently perched at 97%.

This isn't even an impressions topic, it's more of a raving about how good it is.

DSC00085.JPG

Gods.
bow.gif

Fifty

They've already got free exclusives, why waste their money? ;p

edit: Sorry if CK thinks I'm posting impressions, I know how hungry you are for R&C :D

Ironclad

I will have the game tomorrow. I got the demo for reserving the game, and although I was dissapointed that I wasn't able to try the different control modes, but the game played perfectly. The multiplayer needed a few tweaks, but it was excellent. I realy am excited for this game. Definetly a stand out title of November. Oh, and that ends my raving praise for the game.

So nobody here lives near SF?

The Metreon has had the game ALL day :D

Of course, I moved away to the east coast :<(

JeffreyJ at the IGN PS2GB said:
okay, i just picked it up. i can't play it until i get home from work in 5 hours, but here's some info:

- save file is 600K

- widescreen and 480p

- supports USB keyboard and headset

- the manual is THICK.

- you can play a SLY 2 demo by holding L1 L2 R1 R2 at the title screen

- multiplayer skins can be bought by finding titanium bolts in single-player

- options to invert camera controls up/down and left/right

- can play in 1st person or 3rd person

Ironclad

AniHawk said:
I can't wait to play you guys at this. It'll be so much fucking fun.
I second that. Insomniac has definetly done an excellent job with this title. This and Metroid Prime 2 means that Halo 2 will be a bit lonely at my house.

EekTheKat

Damn GAF and the hype express.

I'm probably picking this up and Killzone tomorrow if I can find copies of it. Seems like they'll all hit the major electronic stores by 11/04 though.

Slo

I hope you guys are still playing MP early next year, I just can't afford this game right now. :-\

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Hey, so while we're waiting for impressions of the game to come in, how about some impressions of Sony's shitty TV commercials for the UYA ad campaign...Whose idea was it to ditch the entertaining TV ads from the first two games for a montage of in-game explosions that are too quick to show anything else? The commercials starts with a shot of R&C blowing away a larger enemy then cuts to R&C waiting for a door to open of all things and then just shifts into explosion after explosion, showing little or no other action...they probably could have done a great commerical around the new black hole gun...

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
another 10 from 1up

http://ps2.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3136116&did=1

If you've never tried a Ratchet & Clank game for whatever reason, buy this one. No one who likes action games of any sort should pass it by, since it has everything -- everything! -- you could want: imagine Tribes, Unreal Tournament, Contra, Day of the Tentacle, and Mario Sunshine all put together and you've got Ratchet & Clank 3. And if your frail human mind is incapable of wrapping your mind around a concept like that, then that's just one more reason to give thanks to our alien overlords at Insomniac.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I don't know about Killzone or GTA:SA, but its different reviewers and different text for the OPM and 1up UYA reviews...

MarkRyan

Sam Houser fucked my wife
Hmmm, don't see any impressions here yet, so I'll drop mine (after spending almost two weeks with the game).

The Good
+ FPS controls in third person rock, and being able to switch between a first person view and third person on the fly is very nice.
+ Some interesting and solid puzzle designs in single player.
+ Decent variety in enemies and tactics to beating them (mostly).
+ The weapons rock. Reaching max levels with them is rad.
+ Multiplayer mode is well designed, and four player split-screen runs super smooth.

The Bad
- While the levels are fun, they're not exceptionally well designed--mostly just A-to-B run and shoot.
- Game is too easy.
- Experience-based leveling up makes it way too easy to get uber-powerful.
- Bosses are underwhelming and super-simplistic/straight-forward.
- Multiplayer mode is underrealized, unless you enjoy playing with morons online (there are no LAN+split-screen options).

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
MarkRyan said:
The Bad
- While the levels are fun, they're not exceptionally well designed--mostly just A-to-B run and shoot.
- Game is too easy.
- Experience-based leveling up makes it way too easy to get uber-powerful.
- Bosses are underwhelming and super-simplistic/straight-forward.
- Multiplayer mode is underrealized, unless you enjoy playing with morons online (there are no LAN+split-screen options).

Level design was my number 1 complaint of R&C2. They weren't bad, it's just that the level design in the first game was that much better.

Difficulty was indeed an issue in R&C2. Shouldn't have to play through it twice just to get a challenge.

Bosses suck? :( I enjoyed the bosses in the battle arena in R&C2, but if this is the case, then no thanks. :(

No LAN or split screen is inexcusable.

I will get the game tonight. Can't wait. :D

MarkRyan said:
(there are no LAN+split-screen options).

I think you mean both together, because they are available seperately, correct? I know the demo had LAN & split-screen options available seperately and I don't think they would have removed that.

If so, how many games lately support online + Lan w/split screen + an offline split screen set of options?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I just got R&C2 last night on a whim. I'm installing it now. I never finished the first one, and for that I feel bad...kind of.

I never finished the first R&C because it was just a tad too uninspired. I never saw what was so fun about the game. It reminded me of every other Grade C generic platformer on the market. And judging from the demo of R&C3 I'll most likely have the same feeling this time around.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Hey, so while we're waiting for impressions of the game to come in, how about some impressions of Sony's shitty TV commercials for the UYA ad campaign
So true. I was waiting for the new set of commercials, and then last night I saw the same one you did. it was funny in the way that everything keeps exploding, but compared to the quality and fun of those old ones, it felt cheap and underwhelming.

Sony started with the same style of commercial for R&C2 (the nothing but gameplay ones) before rolling out the ones where they show off the new weapons with real people.

DaCocoBrova

It's funny. In my office I have a 42" NEC plasma, a $50,000 CRT projector and a 10" Sony monitor (preview/program Trinitron)...

What do I play my PS2 the most on while at work?

Which one yields the best image?

That said, R&C2 looks amazing on this lil' 10" screen.

MarkRyan

Sam Houser fucked my wife
sonycowboy said:
I think you mean both together, because they are available seperately, correct? I know the demo had LAN & split-screen options available seperately and I don't think they would have removed that.
You would be correct. "LAN+splitscreen" means LAN and split-screen. There's a smooth four player splitscreen that works well, but four players isn't enough to bring out the best of the multiplayer.

Bandicoot

There are split screen options for 2, 3 or 4 players in offline multiplayer. This is in addition to supporting 2 player, split screen online play.

Teddman

I never finished the first R&C either. The game took more of a action/shooter flavor in the sequel, right? I liked R&C, but I wanted it to be a little more like Metal Arms and less like Rayman or Sly Cooper.

Tell me this reminds you of Metal Arms!

Oh yeah, and do you have to unlock anything in multiplayer, or can you go online with everything from the get-go like Star Wars Battlefront?

DaCocoBrova

Actually, playing R&C2 at the moment for the first time reminds me a lot of Metal Arms, only 10x more polished.

Bandicoot

All of the multiplayer options are available from the start. You can unlock multiplayer skins from single player though.

Belfast

Looks like it'll be another Thursday game for me. Dammit, I'm really getting sick of this. It seems to me that stores are slacking off more and more concerning getting their games on time. Wednesday used to be a fairly reliable bet, now its almost always Thursday. :(

DaCocoBrova

^^

It's not that serious. The game will be there tomorrow. Is it really that urgent? I don't think videogames qualify as 'perishable goods'.

WarPig

sonycowboy said:
All of the 1up reviews (GTA:SA & Killzone as well) have simply been restatements of their scores in OPM. Please don't tell me they count these twice on Gamerankings. (although, all three would benefit from such a double count)

The 1UP review of Ratchet & Clank is original and separate from the OPM review. 1UP has its own review of San Andreas as well, although it didn't get the same score as OPM in that case.

DFS.

Belfast

DaCocoBrova said:
^^

It's not that serious. The game will be there tomorrow. Is it really that urgent? I don't think videogames qualify as 'perishable goods'.

Of course it is. Call me a victim of hype. I can go for months and months even on the big stuff without caring a lick and then within the final few days, the anticipation really gets to me. I'd like to have my products delivered in a timely manner. Its really not just about that, though, its about providing service in general, and that service has consistently gotten worse.

DaCocoBrova

For anyone wondering...

The game does not work w/ HDLoader, regardless of mode.

nataku

Just got the game. Gonna play Single Player to get a hang of the contrls and whatnot, I'll jump online after a bit just to see how it works. Later tonight if a GAF game gets going or something post it on here and I'll join up.

Agent X

Belfast said:
Looks like it'll be another Thursday game for me. Dammit, I'm really getting sick of this. It seems to me that stores are slacking off more and more concerning getting their games on time. Wednesday used to be a fairly reliable bet, now its almost always Thursday. :(

Same here. The store where I preordered the game got pretty much all of the day's new releases except Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal, but I know that at least one of the competing stores has it now.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I walked in without a preorder and got it.

After five minutes of opening the box and flipping through the manual, I must say that this is the third coming of Christ. A magnificent addition to the collection of any gamer. It is an unparalleled masterpiece. Not only the game of the year, but the game of our lives.

... :p

Ironclad

I have been playing the game for the last 2 hours and I can't stop. I spent about an hour and a half in SP and about 30 in MP. R&C 2 was one of my favorite games, despite the bland level design, but this blows Going Commando out of the water. Sure, the level design is still bland, but the fact that everything has been so refined, and that you can upgrade the weapons five times more than makes up for it.

Wellington said:
I walked in without a preorder and got it.

After five minutes of opening the box and flipping through the manual, I must say that this is the third coming of Christ. A magnificent addition to the collection of any gamer. It is an unparalleled masterpiece. Not only the game of the year, but the game of our lives.

... :p

IAWTP

Im a R&C whore myself.

garrickk

I'm getting this game eventually - I loved the first two. But, right now I have some quick questions about multi-player.

Are there bots? I like to play online with a friend of mine 1-on-1 or co-op. How would this be? What kind of voice support is online? In game or only in lobby?

Thanks.

nataku

As far as I know there aren't any bots that will act like players and take up slots on your team. There are, however, robots built into the map that can help defend or attack bases in online mode as well as automated defense turrents. Not really the same as a normal bot, since they're available to everyone automatically... but I suppose it's better than nothing. I think they're in Capture the Flag and Siege mode only. Haven't tried deathmatch tho.

There is full voice support in lobby and in game. Can talk to everyone in the lobby and only talk to your team in game.

If anyone here is gonna play online post your name here.

In game name: Zerohaste

Top Bottom