• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Republican National Convention OT |2016|: Behold a Pale Horse With No Name

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawk2025

That is true. I am just stating why people care about coal jobs. It's easy to be forward thinking when it doesn't impact you at all to see a changeover. And I am pretty sure that is the source of a lot of resentment. These are people's livelihoods and how they feed their family.

You are right though, that we should be accepting of new technology that improves production, but we also must remember the people impacted by technological change. They have real fears. Automation and technology will hurt sectors of society. Often times these changes impact the long-term security of people without expensive secondary education.

Lots of people are forward-thinking even though it directly impacts our taxes, our benefits, our final take-home income.

I refuse to apologize for not supporting shitty coal jobs.

The Republicans are the ones opposing a strong safety net that would make transitioning out of coal simpler, less painful, and allow people to retrain and relocate to other markets.

They created this conundrum. I don't have to feel sympathy for that.

elfinke

This is no lockdown, baby.

image.gif

hawk2025

One more thing, coal is already 0.12% of the US work force -- it used to be nearly 2% 100 years ago.

It's already dead.

We need to stop propping up that corpse.

shake, shake, shake your bootai

MtKxlUP.gif

Trump won the primary with 300 votes to spare, there isn't any real danger of him losing it Veep style. This is just a chance for states to ensure history accurately records their true conservative roots.

That is true. I am just stating why people care about coal jobs. It's easy to be forward thinking when it doesn't impact you at all to see a changeover. And I am pretty sure that is the source of a lot of resentment. These are people's livelihoods and how they feed their family.

You are right though, that we should be accepting of new technology that improves production, but we also must remember the people impacted by technological change. They have real fears. Automation and technology will hurt sectors of society. Often times these changes impact the long-term security of people without expensive secondary education.

But in this case, the end was seen decades ago. We've known coal was dirty for ages, and when natural gas started to become cheaper, as well as more wind and solar power, the writing was on the wall. Instead of taking steps to adapt then, they buried their heads in sand, blamed environmentalists and regulations, and did nothing.

Now as the mines close, they continue to put the blame everywhere but on simple economics. I'm reminded of the time I watched an old school cowboy all but beg a big rancher for a job he could do on horseback, only for the guy to say he really didn't have use for that much anymore, and directed him to another part of the state. If he hadn't insisted on the horse part, he probably could have gotten a job as a ranch hand.

They're real people with real fears, but they're going to have to find another way to get money. Complaining about it won't help. Coal has to go.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
This entire convention hall is that corner of the wedding reception where the parents' friends and extended family awkwardly dance.

JABEE

Lots of people are forward-thinking even though it directly impacts our taxes, our benefits, our final take-home income.

I refuse to apologize for not supporting shitty coal jobs.

The Republicans are the ones opposing a strong safety net that would make transitioning out of coal simpler, less painful, and allow people to retrain and relocate to other markets.

They created this conundrum. I don't have to feel sympathy for that.

I just feel sympathy for the people. They are fucked. And their leaders are not adapting. It is going to be rough.

hawk2025

They're real people with real fears, but they're going to have to find another way to get money. Complaining about it won't help. Coal has to go.

Happy to talk about building up a safety net for them.

Good luck getting republicans to agree to that!

I just feel sympathy for the people. They are fucked. And their leaders are not adapting. It is going to be rough.

Oh, of course I feel sympathy for the people themselves that will lose jobs. I mean I don't feel sympathy for the leadership that created the conundrum in the first place because of their policies. This transition could have been MUCH easier.

Now it's late, but at least Clinton has a semblance of a plan to get the hell out of coal. The Republicans would rather bury their heads in the... mines and call it clean energy in the party platform. It's nuts.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Shake your bootai? Abraham Lincoln? An arena full of uncoordinated people attempting to dance? This stream has it all!

It's been known since yesterday the RNC would lie their way to a Trump victory.

No, failed as in hes had to declare ch. 11 multiple times. He's sucessfull only cause of his daddy and a ghost writer.

Filing for Chapter 11 is not exactly failure. Liquidation is failure.

It's not business successes that got him this far in in the election, his career, and life in general.

It's an inheritance and a loud (usually racist) mouth.

His inheritance was at best around $200m according to most estimates. Trump is now worth over $4bn according to Forbes. If that's failure, then what's success?

Erevador

This music is honestly just so hilarious. It just makes this whole thing feel like some kind of surreal David Lynch delusion. Which I suppose it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom