• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ROG Ally was released more than a year ago, and MS have done nothing to improve the handheld experience since then.

Gamezone

Gold Member
How is that even possible? The ROG Ally was released more than a year ago, and since then MSI and Lenovo have released their Windows handhelds, and Zotac is on the way. Microsoft could began preparing for this after the Steam Deck's release in early 2022. It's just amazing that Microsoft have done nothing to improve the handheld experience. The reviews all agree that Windows are the biggest flaw of these handhelds, yet here we are.

Microsoft’s Xbox department currently feels like a collective breath holding exercise.

Unfortunately we have to wait and see 🤷‍♂️

What is so surprising about this? Microsoft, as a company, makes exceedingly corporate software in all areas of their business. They are not concerned with making their software a pleasant environment to work in, they are only concerned with making it the de-facto only game in town in favor of their own profits. It's been said, and I'll continue to say it - Microsoft treats every part of their business like their enterprise software business. It's in their DNA, and it will no doubt continue to be this way.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Question Mark What GIF

Zathalus

The Windows handheld market is so insignificant that I doubt Microsoft is actually putting that much effort into it.

nemiroff

Gold Member
It's in the second sentence. He's using that release as milestone for a big name Windows handheld release that others have followed, and saying that Microsoft should be putting some effort into Windows for handhelds.

You don't have to agree with it, but reading the OP helps
The OP explains absolutely nothing, no details whatsoever, that's the problem. It would make for an interesting topic if the op wasn't such low effort.

How does this work, and not work? What exactly is the issue?
Why can't MSI to make it's own shell, ..or is this about core OS functionality?

Idk..

Soodanim

The OP explains absolutely nothing, no details whatsoever, that's the problem. It would make for an interesting topic if the op wasn't such low effort.

Idk..
Fair criticism. It's a broad topic.

I suppose the likely guess is that OP is asking for an optimised set up where all but the required elements are installed, because even if MSI/whoever make their own software it's going to be sitting on top of Windows and its overhead, and that's before you start looking at Steam etc.

I'm still not sure why Microsoft would care to, or even want to care, even if they don't have their own rumoured handheld coming up.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Remember Gaf. Everything is microsofts fault!

I am sure Microsoft will be working on a handheld version of Windows. 1 year is not a long time but for anything short term we should be looking at Asus or the manufacturers of these handheld until Microsoft catches up.

1 year is literally nothing in software development.

Well the way the Windows roadmap works.. is a funny one... We all know how the Xbox App redesign went.

Honestly I don't expect much from them until they have a 1st party Handheld

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
OP is asking for an optimised set up where all but the required elements are installed, because even if MSI/whoever make their own software it's going to be sitting on top of Windows and its overhead, and that's before you start looking at Steam etc.

Why doesnt ASUS do a custom build of Windows for their hardware?
They can easily debloat Windows and have a custom shell on top......why should MS have to do that for such a small return on developer investment.

Because only Microsoft can make the OS more handheld friendly. I just don't think the market is big enough for them to care.

This is a lie.
ASUS could make the experience more handheld friendly themsevles, if they put the effort in.
There are so many custom buiilds of Windows already for the Desktop space, a big manufacturer like ASUS should easy be able to optimize Windows for their hardware.

maxresdefault.jpg

Microsoft missing out on all the sweet handheld money
Oh trust me, they ain’t missing out… Just let them come out with their Xbox handheld/hybrid eventually.

They are absolutely on top of it after seeing Switch, Deck and ROG Ally success.

Remember they can drop a call at any time to AMD and absolutely get a custom APU better than the rest of the shelf parts that their “OEM partners” get which can’t even compete if M$ brings their own thing

Last edited:

Unknown?

They can easily debloat Windows and have a custom shell on top......why should MS have to do that for such a small return on developer investment.

This is a lie.
ASUS could make the experience more handheld friendly themsevles, if they put the effort in.
There are so many custom buiilds of Windows already for the Desktop space, a big manufacturer like ASUS should easy be able to optimize Windows for their hardware.

maxresdefault.jpg
Windows is closed source trash, they can only do so much. A custom shell is weak sauce.

Roxkis_ii

These hardware manufacturers should be working on their own handled OS, or pay extra big bucks to help Valve release Steam OS.

Being dependent on Microsoft for your software in a handheld is what it is. I'm still surprised Microsoft hasn't came up with controller navigation for windows concidering how big gaming is on PC.

Topher

Gold Member

Idk..

The biggest issue, imo, is that Windows handhelds have to provide their own solutions for the same basic functionality that is found in most handhelds. Microsoft could provide a unified experience for "Windows" handhelds, but instead we have something different with every vendor with varying degrees of quality. Also, when we exit the overlay, we are back at a desktop that isn't designed for keyboard and mouse, not handheld controls. It works, but using a thumbstick to move a mouse pointer is not very intuitive.

If Microsoft is indeed making their own handheld then I'd expect these are the sort of things they are going to change and make available to third party vendors. Otherwise, Valve has said they are working on providing Steam OS for non Steam Deck handheld vendors as well, something that really should also have been done already. Either way, I don't think it is in Microsoft's best interest to just ignore the handheld market.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
It would be great if Microsoft would release a version of Windows focused on smaller touch screen displays that has a good handheld gaming mode. I think there's probably enough demand for that now. It's not Microsoft's responsibility to fix user experience issues with third party products. With there being no good option Asus should have invested effort in a better handheld overlay/launcher. But Microsoft could make their OS more friendly for smaller screens like handheld PC's that rely on touch input.

Minsc

Gold Member
There's armory crate, it seems to be better than nothing. A lot less polished than what the Deck gives, but then there's also BPM from Steam and actually having Windows does have its usefulness especially when docked, it's great having it playing on a KB/M.

Black_Stride

Windows is closed source trash, they can only do so much. A custom shell is weak sauce.

Thats on ASUS then.
They should have banked on Proton/Linux then......why should MS make a custom build of Windows for random hardware manufacturers?

This is a lie.

It's an unofficial reskin that removes some services. I'm talking about making meaningful code changes so the OS works more like SteamOS or something like that. Windows is a closed source OS and only Microsoft can make and support the changes. BTW, if you install that thing on your computer than good luck to you. It looks 100% legit and trustworthy 😂

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
They released a handheld OS. It was called windows 8 and everyone hated it.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

It's an unofficial reskin that removes some services. I'm talking about making meaningful code changes so the OS works more like SteamOS or something like that. Windows is a closed source OS and only Microsoft can make and support the changes.

You expect Microsoft to expend resources to develop "meaningful" OS level changes to Windows 11.......for Handheld consoles that dont bring any substantial revenue to the firm?
In the event they make their own handheld, sure they could make a custom Windows thats more optimized for handheld gaming, otherwise its down to the handheld manufacturer to optimize the OS they are using for their device.

BTW, if you install that thing on your computer than good luck to you. It looks 100% legit and trustworthy 😂

Get Windows "Lite" editions see what changes theyve made test them, then make your own from an official ISO literally nothing to worry about.

Hell MS even teach people how to customize Windows installs on their Learn site.
These images are from MS themselves, its not like its a secret or anything:

servicing_unattend.png

servicing_mount.png

You expect Microsoft to expend resources to develop "meaningful" OS level changes to Windows 11.......for Handheld consoles that dont bring any substantial revenue to the firm?
In the event they make their own handheld, sure they could make a custom Windows thats more optimized for handheld gaming, otherwise its down to the handheld manufacturer to optimize the OS they are using for their device.

Get Windows "Lite" editions see what changes theyve made test them, then make your own from an official ISO literally nothing to worry about.

Hell MS even teach people how to customize Windows installs on their Learn site.
These images are from MS themselves, its not like its a secret or anything:
If Microsoft is really making a Handheld then they will make the changes. Windows is pretty easy to tamper with. As a Cyber Security professional i wouldn't recommend using a non-sanctioned OS for anything.

Last edited:
You're talking about a major update for Windows, a core bedrock platform for Microsoft. I understand that a year seems like a long time, but for a project like this it's not even close to enough.

They know and understand the need, we even have Phil commenting on this. But the realities of engineering, safety, testing.. It's going to be a bit y'all. Set expectations accordingly.

Top Bottom