• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Secret World |OT| Everything is True

vaelic

Banned
i never really played an mmo before, i got up to the bit in the second part of kingsmouth where
you go in some basement and unlock a door nad then theres this giant wolf thing
and i got worked pretty hard.

should i be doing sidequests or can you just follow the main story line and be high enough level? i really like the main stuff but i dont like whenever the mmo mechanics (run around pressing number keys) come into it and i'm worried the side quests will just be lots of that...

do all the quests. they are all very well done and add to the story

Vlodril

The only problem i have with this game is the spawn placement. Everything else i love but the messy spawns drags the game down for me. I wish they really went and did some balancing. I don't understand how it wasn't caught in the beta version.

derFeef

The only problem i have with this game is the spawn placement. Everything else i love but the messy spawns drags the game down for me. I wish they really went and did some balancing. I don't understand how it wasn't caught in the beta version.

Do you mean mob spawn or player spawn?

edit: I guess mob spawn ;)
Yeah it can be a bit much. BM is much better now though. I also think this is kind of some Funcom "problem" as Conan was as heavily populated and safe routes were pretty rare. I guess some people like it, but it does not fit this game as good.

xeris

I've been trying to get people to run Inferno or the other instance in Blue Mountain and have been met with only silence. :(

If you want to run something, let me know. I can hop on whenever. I'm not doing anything today.

If I can sneak on early we can try to run it before Ankh if you want and if you haven't done it by then.

Vlodril

Do you mean mob spawn or player spawn?

edit: I guess mob spawn ;)
Yeah it can be a bit much. BM is much better now though. I also think this is kind of some Funcom "problem" as Conan was as heavily populated and safe routes were pretty rare. I guess some people like it, but it does not fit this game as good.

Yea i meant mob spawn. Its not just in the blue mountains. Its rampart in each area i have visited so far. It doesn't make any favors to this game. Which is too bad because its great in most other ways.

kurahador

Yea i meant mob spawn. Its not just in the blue mountains. Its rampart in each area i have visited so far. It doesn't make any favors to this game. Which is too bad because its great in most other ways.

Egypt is abit better though in which some of the mobs will fight each other. I don't think I've seen it happen in Solomon Island.

Madouu

Egypt is abit better though in which some of the mobs will fight each other. I don't think I've seen it happen in Solomon Island.

Zombie hulks vs draugs often fight each other in SC. As far as mobs are concerned, I feel as though egypt requires a bit more aoe in your skill build or at least being able to switch between a single target and an aoe build (when gear managers doesn't decide to bug out on you).

The mob density is good enough for my liking, makes you really work on your positioning. In some rare cases, it does get stupid though I agree.

aight I just logged in if you want to do Inferno just send me a tell

owlbeak

I'm on as well -- Evazan. Let's do Inferno! Need that hammer! I've ran the instance like five times and it's never dropped.

I need help..I don't know which society to pick. I watched all three videos and i guess illuminati seems the coolest but I dunno. Which has the best story and lore and secrets and so on? Is the dragon society always talking in subtitles? One other question, what percentage of the player base would you put each one? for example: 40% illuminati, 40% templars, 20% dragon, just take a guess if you can. Thanks

Edit- decided to go Illuminati since i read NYC is their base

Shurayuki

Why is there no "Friends" channel? What's the best way to talk to friends, does 'send message' send a tell? Disappointing.

Got around to adding everyone.

Templar seems to be the overwhelming majority, probably 50-60%, Illuminati and Dragon might be similar, often there doesn't seem too many Illuminati in PvP though when they are there they usually get way huger numbers than Dragon, so I think they are more too.

First thing I noticed besides how nice the game looks (G4 guy straight out lied about this or is blind) is how sleek and clean the UI is. Every MMO I've played or seen pics of has nowhere near as sleek UI. The thin curved outlines for the boxes reminds me a lot of TF2's menu screen. Anyone see that? the same thin understated outline with curved edges, looks so nice, especially when you click the dialogue box to talk to an npc.

Why is there no "Friends" channel? What's the best way to talk to friends, does 'send message' send a tell? Disappointing.

Got around to adding everyone.

Templar seems to be the overwhelming majority, probably 50-60%, Illuminati and Dragon might be similar, often there doesn't seem too many Illuminati in PvP though when they are there they usually get way huger numbers than Dragon, so I think they are more too.

Not sure what you mean about a friends channel, but there is cabal chat, and tells for chatting with friends.

I'm confused one little thing. In the training room when you equip a weapon to test it out you get 2 AP and 2 SP. Do i use them then or after i make my decision of the weapon and talk to De Guardia? let's say i picked shotgun just to test out and the popup comes up saying i get 2 ap and sp and i use them for shotgun skills. Now if i picked another weapon will i 2 more ap and sp. I'm just an idiot sorry but i need help fast, going to decide within like 20 mins.

BTW, we had a fun Ankh run tonight, so I'd be up for giving it another go for more loot tomorrow if anyone wants in, though this time I think we should require voice-chat. Gets annoying typing out some of the strats and not being able to call out things as they happen.

xeris

I dont know which to pick, I can't decide.

Pretty quick on you'll get a free 2nd weapon and remember you'll always have 2 equipped. It also doesn't take much time at all to train up a third weapon if you decide you don't like one of the first two.

Shurayuki

Not sure what you mean about a friends channel, but there is cabal chat, and tells for chatting with friends.

Like "General" and "faction", so you could talk to you know, all your online friends. Tells aren't really good for that and I'm not changing factions so I can join a cabal and chat with people. It's a bit weird of an oversight, seems so logical to me (would be bearable if Cabals weren't faction specific).

Like "General" and "faction", so you could talk to you know, all your online friends. Tells aren't really good for that and I'm not changing factions so I can join a cabal and chat with people. It's a bit weird of an oversight, seems so logical to me (would be bearable if Cabals weren't faction specific).

I think there is a way to create chat channels. Will read about it.

Shurayuki

^ Haha wasn't even ingame, about to go to bed. But would be cool if it works and Gaffers could hang out there! Thanks for checking it out.

I think there is a way to create chat channels. Will read about it.

Yeah saw it mentioned in "General" some day, but The Secret World likes to keep quite a few things/functions secret. If I hadn't read in TSWs forum or here that there's a bank in London I would have never known (and I even played most beta weekends).
Ah well.

Anyone in the channel?

L9f2e.png

Doesn't seem to be working for me. :(

Yeah, couldn't get it to work. Need to read more on it and see if we are doing something wrong. Hopefully we can get it working eventually. No big deal though, we can just use voice chat which is better anyway.

Karak

First thing I noticed besides how nice the game looks (G4 guy straight out lied about this or is blind) is how sleek and clean the UI is. Every MMO I've played or seen pics of has nowhere near as sleek UI. The thin curved outlines for the boxes reminds me a lot of TF2's menu screen. Anyone see that? the same thin understated outline with curved edges, looks so nice, especially when you click the dialogue box to talk to an npc.

Yup, and to me I think he lied. Why I have no idea but I have a certain disbelief at times when someone hyperboles something so far. Not as if its personal opinion but with such weight that it appears they have a VERY specific agenda.

Karak

Yeah, couldn't get it to work. Need to read more on it and see if we are doing something wrong. Hopefully we can get it working eventually. No big deal though, we can just use voice chat which is better anyway.

If we do have voice can someone update the OP with the data? I would love to yack with some of you guys while fighting badguys.

Omg it's 3:00am. This game is unbelievable, it's the first MMO i've truly enjoyed and get addicted to. I bought it last night based on gaf recs and couldn't be happier. Thanks

The story, lore, voice acting (wow), graphics, atmosphere, quests, everything is so good and AAA quality. I'm not a fan of MMOs but The Secret World is different. You guys gotta try it (any prospective buyers reading this). It's so good. How on Earth people can play WoW after a game like this is made is beyond me. Just compare the quality, it's like a generation ahead.

And there's SO much stuff to do. I see so many quests to do adn they seem like they all have cut scene introductions (am i right?) which is really awesome and helps add to the story and lore a lot instead of just a paragraph of text telling you to kill X number of monsters. I'm not evne tired i wish i could play for hours more but it would ruin my sleeping sched.

Jakabok

Is there ever gonna be a demo of this? As a Lovecraft nut and massive fan of Longest Journey / Dreamfall it seems made for me but monies are a bit tight at the moment, don't wanna drop the 40 quid without trying it.

derFeef

Glad you enjoy it Heavy! Not all missions (trying to get this through, MISSIONS ;) have cutscenes. Sometimes you find a severed hand or something similar somewhere and it has a mission attached, those type of missions are mostly "wtf happened there, go to X and find out" types - but also fun!

Is there ever gonna be a demo of this? As a Lovecraft nut and massive fan of Longest Journey / Dreamfall it seems made for me but monies are a bit tight at the moment, don't wanna drop the 40 quid without trying it.

It'll go F2P eventually.

That's when I shall be unleashed.

Bryy the Cthulhu Slayer.

Glad you enjoy it Heavy! Not all missions (trying to get this through, MISSIONS ;) have cutscenes. Sometimes you find a severed hand or something similar somewhere and it has a mission attached, those type of missions are mostly "wtf happened there, go to X and find out" types - but also fun!

I found a mailman truck with packages to deliver that didn't have a cutscene or an NPC, it was still fun. What do you mean "trying to get this through, MISSIONS ;)"? Edit- Ohh I get it, calling them missions instead of quests. Done!

kch

I feel a bit bad, but I skipped learning morse in a specific quest. Should I feel bad?

This quest made me feel dumb and I actually googled morse code to try learning it quickly but I gave up haha. It's pretty amazing that they add things like this in questing though.

I feel a bit bad, but I skipped learning morse in a specific quest. Should I feel bad?
if you don't have the time or patience for it I guess not. It felt pretty awesome decoding the message though. Lol
When do those type of difficult investigative puzzle missions start?
When you find them. Regular missions are red, dungeons are purple, and investigation missions are green with a laptop icon. There's a few in Kingsmouth - try the church, or the seer.

When do those type of difficult investigative puzzle missions start?

Pretty much exactly when you get to Kingsmouth. Some mission NPCs have them. And I REALLY recommend you try to make most of it out yourself! Morse code was a bit too much for me, but the other investigation missions have been doable.

Pretty much exactly when you get to Kingsmouth. Some mission NPCs have them. And I REALLY recommend you try to make most of it out yourself! Morse code was a bit too much for me, but the other investigation missions have been doable.

Best suggestion is to do the investigation missions after you've completed the rest of the missions in that zone, though. By that time you will know what the clues are pointing to instead of wondering where the hell the town hall is hehe.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
So if one of the first of those amazing Investigation thingies features full-fledged morse code nobody knows, the "end game" (note the huge quotation marks) will be basically googleing quest solutions on Gamefaqs, wouldn't it? I think maybe 3% of the users actually will try to solve them by themselves, and I love the idea of actually having to think, but I'm really not sure this is the right way to do it.

derFeef

So if one of the first of those amazing Investigation thingies features full-fledged morse code nobody knows, the "end game" (note the huge quotation marks) will be basically googleing quest solutions on Gamefaqs, wouldn't it? I think maybe 3% of the users actually will try to solve them by themselves, and I love the idea of actually having to think, but I'm really not sure this is the right way to do it.

No one can prevent players from googling solutions, but I actually think that the majority of players (those who care about the world and story) try to solve them on their own. I also think those players are the majority here, really good player base.

xeris

I posted a channel a few pages back that seemed to work fine but no one used it other than the person that helped me test it. They are not persistent but you can set it up to always log you in to the same one so if everyone uses the same room name typed the same way it should functionally work as if it was.

kurahador

I solved at least 2 investigation missions using a guide, and Morse Code is one of them. Couldn't help it. :/
It is fun solving it yourself though.

Btw...there is one side mission in Egypt, and that one was harder than most of the investigation missions I've encountered. Involved hacking and pinpoint a signal. My god it was ridiculous!!

Varshes

Grabbed the game yesterday, bit of a MMO newbie but I'm enjoying it, added my info to the spreadsheet if anyone wants to play or anything. :)

Top Bottom