• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Secret World |OT| Everything is True

Karak

I will jump on with my Templar (Marlissa) tonight if someone can add me to the Cabal and I will try to find someone online.

One question we using voip or just making a chat?

I haven't done any dungeons at all. Just played solo or with 1 other gamer from Colony of Gamers. Thats about it.

^

I will jump on with my Templar (Marlissa) tonight if someone can add me to the Cabal and I will try to find someone online.

One question we using voip or just making a chat?

I haven't done any dungeons at all. Just played solo or with 1 other gamer from Colony of Gamers. Thats about it.

Cool. My Templar name is Valexandria. I've added my info to the spreadsheet.

Just in-game chat for now but we might start using the GAF mumble server. I'll be on sometime between 6-11 PM EST. Unless someone beats me to it, I'll send an invite if you're on. My character name is Kazehaya.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
well, I'm surprised. This has been looking good since the reveal, so I'm glad that it turned out well.

Can I solo it? Can I save anywhere? How long the average quest is? I'm not familiar with this kind of MMO.

derFeef

It truly is fantastic.

Still love that hammer, even if it's not rare or anything.
Straight out of Hell! :D

9e1f8fc4.png

Karak

^

Just in-game chat for now but we might start using the GAF mumble server. I'll be on sometime between 6-11 PM EST. Unless someone beats me to it, I'll send an invite if you're on. My character name is Kazehaya.

Ya I really think a voip solution would rock. Just not a fan of typing everything for long periods of time. Especially say, doing a dungeon.

Karak

well, I'm surprised. This has been looking good since the reveal, so I'm glad that it turned out well.

Can I solo it? Can I save anywhere? How long the average quest is? I'm not familiar with this kind of MMO.

Yes for the most part
Yes
Totally random. Some long some short. Average is almost impossible to guess. I wouldn't even try as it depends on the build you are, grouped/not, other quests in the area. I guess maybe...hah I don't even feel comfortable guessing. Maybe someone else can.

The rest of the info is on their site and the links on the OP.

You can solo all of the quests except for the dungeon missions which will require a group. You can safely skip most of them but they are usually related to other quests or the story and you will be missing out on an important and very fun part of the game. A LFG tool is coming for forming groups automatically but until then you will need to advertise for groups in chat or try to get together with a GAF group.

Everything is automatically saved at all times but it is still recommended to log out completely to avoid any data being lost when you are done. Quest length definitely varies from minutes to several hours.

What other MMOs have you played?

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm really trying to enjoy this game because I can see that it has huge potential and a lot of refreshing concepts, but something about the control scheme is just rubbing me the wrong way.

I don't understand why they didn't just use a "follow mouse cursor" type of control scheme instead of the current tank mechanics [press a to turn left, d to turn right, w is forward and s is backwards]. It feels slow and counter-intuitive.

I also don't understand the targeting mechanic, why doesn't it auto-target the enemy I'm currently facing? When getting attacked by a horde it can get pretty tedious because the game simply cancels attacks if you are not facing the enemy the game has targeted for you. So when you're facing 5 zombies and there is one behind you that is targeted, your character will not perform an attack move because he's not facing said targeted enemy. It should just auto-default to whatever enemy I'm attacking. Combined with the sluggish controls it all feels very.. muddy. I feel like I have to press way too many buttons at the same time.

That being said the game looks stunning, has great voice acting and solid music from composer Marc Canham [Far Cry 2, among others]. I also love the lore and the world they created. However, as a Dragon I find it rather insulting that the main hub is on Templar ground.

I'm really trying to enjoy this game because I can see that it has huge potential and a lot of refreshing concepts, but something about the control scheme is just rubbing me the wrong way.

I don't understand why they didn't just use a "follow mouse cursor" type of control scheme instead of the current tank mechanics [press a to turn left, d to turn right, w is forward and s is backwards]. It feels slow and counter-intuitive.

I also don't understand the targeting mechanic, why doesn't it auto-target the enemy I'm currently facing? When getting attacked by a horde it can get pretty tedious because the game simply cancels attacks if you are not facing the enemy the game has targeted for you. So when you're facing 5 zombies and there is one behind you that is targeted, your character will not perform an attack move because he's not facing said targeted enemy. It should just auto-default to whatever enemy I'm attacking. Combined with the sluggish controls it all feels very.. muddy. I feel like I have to press way too many buttons at the same time.

That being said the game looks stunning, has great voice acting and solid music from composer Marc Canham [Far Cry 2, among others]. I also love the lore and the world they created. However, as a Dragon I find it rather insulting that the main hub is on Templar ground.

You can turn off the "camera follows" setting in options. If that is what you mean , it makes it so when you press Left or Right only your character turns and not both the camera and character. This definitely bothered me at first but once I switched the settings it was much improved.

Also they have plans to build up each area to have unique qualities and reasons for visiting. I have faith that each area will be just as important as London, sooner or later.

Just hold the right mouse button down and it controls like a FPS like every MMORPG pretty much. With only 7 abilities you should have no problems with movement and targeting.

Bru

It truly is fantastic.

Still love that hammer, even if it's not rare or anything.
Straight out of Hell! :D

9e1f8fc4.png

That hammer is truly awesome.

A sword dropped in the same dungeon but I was crafting health potions and fumbled my need/greed/pass..... I'm still kicking myself for missing it!

Vlodril

The designs are another strength of the game. Especially coming from SWTOR which has the worst cloth and headgear design i have ever seen. Completely idiotic.

The cloth, weapons and location designs are fantastic.

Madouu

As much as I liked Egypt, it's good to be back in a more modern setting. From what I've seen from Transylvania so far, they've really nailed the atmosphere right, and the NPCs (quest givers) look really unique too, not just sheriff bannerman clones.

Sadly downtime :(

Finally got chat working again earlier. I tried to bug report in game but that didn't work either (something about an invalid response), so I wrote to customer support on the funcom site and they suggested deleting some folders. Unfortunately, their suggestions didnt work so I just uninstalled then reinstalled the game. -_- Took a few hours but at least I can finally talk to the cabal and play a damn dungeon now! Lol

ExReey

You're aware you can set a and d to strafe left/right, instead of turn? helps alot.
I can play it like any other 3rd person shooter, except for having to keep the right mouse button pressed.

Can anyone give me some more details about the need/greed/pass system? What's the diff between need/greed? Can the other players see what you've chosen?

Vlodril

You're aware you can set a and d to strafe left/right, instead of turn? helps alot.
I can play it like any other 3rd person shooter, except for having to keep the right mouse button pressed.

Can anyone give me some more details about the need/greed/pass system? What's the diff between need/greed? Can the other players see what you've chosen?

Need takes precedence over greed. If there is need rolls only they will compete for the item not the greed ones. Everyone can see what you picked yes. Don't need on items you don't use. I had a guy need every single item in a dungeon. We kicked him and picked another.

dejan

I've been playing this since last saturday and I'm really enjoying my time with the game. Funcom absolutely nailed the atmosphere, it's incredible. The characters and writing so far have been almost always at least entertaining. I haven't skipped a single quest dialog and I've rerun some main quests already.

Speaking of quests, to see such variety of quests in a fucking mmorpg is astonishing. Granted, not all of them are equally fun. Yeah, you've probably heard of the investigation missions by now and yes they are great. The stealth missions not so much. They haven't been frustrating for me, but the game mechanics are just not up to par to support this kind of gameplay.

Combat is another thing that doesn't particularly excite me, but I'm willing to keep up with it. Did my first dungeon (Polaris) yesterday and it was ok I guess, pretty standard fare. The boss fight was pretty cool, but it's another instance where I felt the game mechanics more often than not stood in the way of the gameplay.

Haven't spend much time on crafting yet with the exception of disassembling unneeded stuff for materials instead of selling them to a vendor. Read complaints on the official forums that it's currently not worth it. I don't know, I think it's neat that you don't have to grind a crafting skill, but quite frankly I don't care enough about it at this point to form an opinion.

Hm, what else. I love the ability/skill system in this game, love tinkering with different builds. It's possible to unlock every skill/ability in this game, but planning ahead is still important of course. Overall I'm currently at a point where I'm actually thinking about keeping my sub after my free month runs out. Hm, I can't remember the last time I actually paid a montly subscription fee for a mmorpg. Anyhow, this game is good, it's gooood.

ExReey

Need takes precedence over greed. If there is need rolls only they will compete for the item not the greed ones. Everyone can see what you picked yes. Don't need on items you don't use. I had a guy need every single item in a dungeon. We kicked him and picked another.

Damn, I thought greed took precedence over need, so I picked mostly need!
So if I understand correctly, the items goes to a random player who "needs" the item, if there are none, the item goes to a random "greedy" player, and if everyone passes, the item stays on the ground?

derFeef

TLJ and Dreamfall are on Steam sale right now. If you like the writing and characters in TSW and you never played those games, you should get them - Ragnar would be happy :)

Shurayuki

The latest patch reads really good, between the last two patches they've addressed most things i found highly annoying (bugs, unbalanced content, overcrowded areas which lead to tedious fighting through) especially in the areas including and after Blue Mountain. Great job really, although now i wish i could erase my memory and play it like it was meant to be played.

Man i added some Dragons some time ago but never saw anybody online, guess nobody added me & Dragons are kind of an endangered species :( Keep the Dragon alive guys, and add me~ <3<3
Guess i'll just add all ppl from the sheet, would love some dungeon runs, hit QL10 now (except for the weapons because->) but haven't done any dungeon yet...helpu~

Well i can kinda understand it, personally i have skill lvl 10 in Claws, Blades, Assault, Shotgun and am building stuff like Pistols and Blood too, you kind of can use/"need" almost all gear pretty soon i guess. (also "greed" just sounds terribly impolite)

As much as I liked Egypt, it's good to be back in a more modern setting. From what I've seen from Transylvania so far, they've really nailed the atmosphere right, and the NPCs (quest givers) look really unique too, not just sheriff bannerman clones.

Sadly downtime :(

Egypt was amazing, my favorite area, especially the second zone, breathtaking stuff. Also fun missions and i just love using the mortar even outside of the mission, could use that thing for hours. (Transylvania is nice too but the main quest is really vague, not sure i like it yet -tier 5ish-)
Favorite quest was i think the chainsaw massacre, funfunfun.

Top Bottom