• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Secret World |OT| Everything is True

Madouu

We should set up a list of people who haven't run too many dungeons yet and want in. I've done the three first ones so far but I don't mind replaying through any of them, they are quite fun. I'm also working on a healing build right now after being finished up pretty much with ele/blood dps skilltree, hopefully I'll be able to heal decently in a near future.

I added you to my friendlist Shurayuki.

Shurayuki

We should set up a list of people who haven't run too many dungeons yet and want in. I've done the three first ones so far but I don't mind replaying through any of them, they are quite fun. I'm also working on a healing build right now after being finished up pretty much with ele/blood dps skilltree, hopefully I'll be able to heal decently in a near future.

I added you to my friendlist Shurayuki.

Great will add you the next time I'm on. Steam sale stole a bunch of time away but definitely looking to get some quality time into TSW this month and then evaluate if a quick resub or waiting 'till they add more content is worth it.

The screens you people posted were even a big reason I splurged on a new GPU, game can be so beautiful!

I have only just arrived at Blue Mountain but I don't mind running any of the prior or upcoming dungeons. They are really fun. I have a tank and DPS build and my wife plays a healer. I'm going to start adding everyone on the spreadsheet to my friends list when I get home, Templar or not. :)

Wait...I don't remember her looking like that. o_O

Must have changed her face too. Nice.

Hmm, I am not sure about the face markings, when was this screenshot taken? She looks closer to the cover now.

HQ9HP.jpg

The screenshots are after patch 1.02, and it's funny you should mention this because I originally posted a couple of screens prior to patch 1.0.2 where she doesn't have the makeup or bloody face and was asking if they updated her character model. In the pics it looked like the keyboard and computer did not seem to have the textures loaded all the way, so I dismissed it as a texture problem and pulled the pics. Now that I think about it, it was probably just a "focus" effect where they blur objects in the background, and it's likely that they did update her character model.

I'm not sure if it has something to do with 1.1 since she is on the cover of issue #1 or if she was supposed to be dressed up as a zombie for Halloween and they just added some effects to her. I'll repost the "before" pics when I get home.

My wife and I are both playing the game.

She is a healer/tank type named "Fountainhead."

I am a main tank named "Tankgeezus."

Feel free to put us both up as Illuminati.

derFeef

You guys have awesome wifes :)

The latest patch reads really good, between the last two patches they've addressed most things i found highly annoying (bugs, unbalanced content, overcrowded areas which lead to tedious fighting through) especially in the areas including and after Blue Mountain. Great job really, although now i wish i could erase my memory and play it like it was meant to be played.

It's pretty fantastic how fast they react to feedback, this plus the fact that they are highly communicative on the forums, even Ragnar, shows that they are really behind the game.

You guys have awesome wifes :)

It's pretty fantastic how fast they react to feedback, this plus the fact that they are highly communicative on the forums, even Ragnar, shows that they are really behind the game.

I just hope it maintains. Funcom has a way of neglecting games once the new one ramps up development. Anarchy Online was practically ignored since 2008, AoC has been ignored since the beginning of this year (Funcom even went on a two-week vacation after delivering an absolutely game-breaking patch. Hopefully they won't continue the cycle once the Lego game gets going.

Still love Funcom, but it hurts. It hurts REAL bad.

derFeef

I just hope it maintains. Funcom has a way of neglecting games once the new one ramps up development. Anarchy Online was practically ignored since 2008, AoC has been ignored since the beginning of this year (Funcom even went on a two-week vacation after delivering an absolutely game-breaking patch. Hopefully they won't continue the cycle once the Lego game gets going.

Still love Funcom, but it hurts. It hurts REAL bad.

Single server is coming to Conan too, no? I am really curious what that maya or aztec teasing is. I love that stuff. My 5 80's are waiting, lol.

I'm on vacation for a week so I won't be on until Friday or so. Until then I will be itching to play but the break may prove helpful in really keeping the game fresh for me. Looking forward to returning. I'll be around the OT though!

Single server is coming to Conan too, no? I am really curious what that maya or aztec teasing is. I love that stuff. My 5 80's are waiting, lol.

Sorf of coming. We aren't being merged with Europe which is the big problem, since most of the population is there. That means they merge 2 PVE servers (only one is active anyway) and that's all in the US and maybe we get cross-server minis and dungeons/raids in the PvP guys which would be swell, but who knows.

The game really needs the Euro merger, though, and Funcom won't do it. :( Population there is probably 4 times greater, maybe more, than here.

derFeef

bad graphics, bad writing, lack of levels? We need lol smilies back.

edit: the comments are fantastic, good to see people realize this is a great game.

Jubbly

wow, what a shitty review........

http://www.g4tv.com/games/pc/46075/the-secret-world/review/

The Pros
Huge assortment of quest missions
Brings a new way of thinking to MMOs
There are zombies in one world

The Cons
Offputtingly bad graphics, animations and gameplay
Lack of classes/leveling system is a good idea with poor execution
Weak story and dialogue

Wow... G4 should pull that review and apologize to Funcom. Reviews are opinion, I know that, but saying it has "offputtingly bad graphics" is just a flat out lie, and most of the other content goes against the grain of what both players and press are saying.

derFeef

Wow... G4 should pull that review and apologize to Funcom. Reviews are opinion, I know that, but saying it has "offputtingly bad graphics" is just a flat out lie, and most of the other content goes against the grain of what both players and press are saying.

It's offensively wrong. You may not like parts of the game, but some things Mr. Deesing wrote are just lies or he did not try enough to make some points. WALKING down Agartha parths? Forced into two weapon? ...

The first paragraph has the words "piss-poor voice acting" - I mean, really?

Anyway, game is good, word of mouth is good, I have no doubt people ignore that review after reading the first few lines.

owlbeak

Luckily everyone knows game journalism and journalists are a joke, so I'd pay no mind.

Word of mouth sells more games than any review will.

It's offensively wrong. You may not like parts of the game, but some things Mr. Deesing wrote are just lies or he did not try enough to make some points. WALKING down Agartha parths? Forced into two weapon? ...

The first paragraph has the words "piss-poor voice acting" - I mean, really?

Anyway, game is good, word of mouth is good, I have no doubt people ignore that review after reading the first few lines.
I've actually seen some people walking the paths, though. I don't know how they do it but I've seen it - I always thought that it must suck to be forced to walk it.
Regardless, the G4 review is indeed terrible.

I've actually seen some people walking the paths, though. I don't know how they do it but I've seen it - I always thought that it must suck to be forced to walk it.
Regardless, the G4 review is indeed terrible.

Re: Agartha
Walking around the portals is the only way to certain pieces of lore. It also lets you move around much faster in select cases.

Here's a tweet from the writer of said review: https://twitter.com/Deesing/status/226192205835010048

BAHAHAHAH... oh G4. Guy is an idiot and apparently reviews MMOs in beta. I doubt he even spent more than a few hours on the game.

@Deesing said:
I reviewed TERA in beta. And the game was actually playable. Shocking, I know.

Nice comparison there. TERA launched in Korea in January 2011 and was on the market for over a year before our "beta", which producers openly admitted to being more of a marketing tool than anything. Also, who cares? You shouldn't be reviewing a beta to begin with!

#gamesjournalism

Damn, I totally wanna get this too.

Been watching some gameplay on YT, but not too much. I really enjoy the writing and music, it's refreshingly good.

Just...it's an MMO. Got bored with TOR within a week, and I wouldn't want the same to happen to this. Obviously it's different, but...I dunno.

Karak

Damn, I totally wanna get this too.

Been watching some gameplay on YT, but not too much. I really enjoy the writing and music, it's refreshingly good.

Just...it's an MMO. Got bored with TOR within a week, and I wouldn't want the same to happen to this. Obviously it's different, but...I dunno.

60 bucks gets you a game with more than enough gameplay to replace MANY SP games. Seriously I could not see anyone be unhappy even if they just played this for 15 days. The amount of content and more importantly how its put together is fucking phenomenal. And this is from someone who is most assuredly not an MMO fan.

I usually identify the hours I play something versus its cost. I have way over 100 hours in this game and that is with very very rare grinding. The amount of stuff to do and how its presented, cutscenes and so on, is so far above almost every other MMO its insane. Only TOR has cutscenes and writing like this and to be honest I think these are a bit better.

60 bucks gets you a game with more than enough gameplay to replace MANY SP games. Seriously I could not see anyone be unhappy even if they just played this for 15 days. The amount of content and more importantly how its put together is fucking phenomenal. And this is from someone who is most assuredly not an MMO fan.

I usually identify the hours I play something versus its cost. I have way over 100 hours in this game and that is with very very rare grinding. The amount of stuff to do and how its presented, cutscenes and so on, is so far above almost every other MMO its insane. Only TOR has cutscenes and writing like this and to be honest I think these are a bit better.

Hmm you may have sold me on it, good sir.

kurahador

^It's not 60 bucks though. Full price is $50.
And thanks to regional pricing, I got mine for $35 US dollars.

Oh yeah, just did a "tower of defense" mission in Egypt...lol, how unexpected.

^It's not 60 bucks though. Full price is $50.
And thanks to regional pricing, I got mine for $35 US dollars.

Oh yeah, just did a "tower of defense" mission in Egypt...lol, how unexpected.

Where'd you get it for $35 bucks?
Wait nevermind it was prob one of those CD-key sites right? Nevermind, not allowed to talk about them.

vaelic

Banned
BAHAHAHAH... oh G4. Guy is an idiot and apparently reviews MMOs in beta. I doubt he even spent more than a few hours on the game.

Nice comparison there. TERA launched in Korea in January 2011 and was on the market for over a year before our "beta", which producers openly admitted to being more of a marketing tool than anything. Also, who cares? You shouldn't be reviewing a beta to begin with!

#gamesjournalism
Wow what a moron

Planning on getting together an Ankh run for tomorrow night. Got me tanking, Fountainhead on heals and Ezekiah on dps/off-heals. Any dps wanna get in on it with us? Probably gonna get started around 8-9PM est 7/21. Let me know.

Madouu

Planning on getting together an Ankh run for tomorrow night. Got me tanking, Fountainhead on heals and Ezekiah on dps/off-heals. Any dps wanna get in on it with us? Probably gonna get started around 8-9PM est 7/21. Let me know.

I'll join as dps, Bourjila ingame

Vlodril

For anyone thinking of getting this i definitely recommend it. Especially if you are burned out of the various mmo's that go around. This is a breath of fresh air. The game is beautiful (i don't know what that reviewer is smoking , you can see pics in my steam profile although they are spoilerific) and the story is faantastic.

Not just the main mission (which i just finished the first one and it was brilliant) but all the side missions and little missions you find around. Everything ties together to bring you pieces of a bigger picture. I am really amazed at the amount of detail not for an MMO just but for any kind of game.

Plus the game has the best atmosphere in ANY game i have played (and that means a lot to me since its one of the main draws of games for me along with story).

For anyone thinking of getting this i definitely recommend it. Especially if you are burned out of the various mmo's that go around. This is a breath of fresh air. The game is beautiful (i don't know what that reviewer is smoking , you can see pics in my steam profile although they are spoilerific) and the story is faantastic.

Not just the main mission (which i just finished the first one and it was brilliant) but all the side missions and little missions you find around. Everything ties together to bring you pieces of a bigger picture. I am really amazed at the amount of detail not for an MMO just but for any kind of game.

Plus the game has the best atmosphere in ANY game i have played (and that means a lot to me since its one of the main draws of games for me along with story).

That's exactly how I am. Can't wait to play today. The Origin payment is processing or something then I have to download it. How big download? My Internet is good, 1.8mb/sec.

Edit- Ohh and just as I typed that i got the e-mail and it's ready to go!

panda21

i never really played an mmo before, i got up to the bit in the second part of kingsmouth where
you go in some basement and unlock a door nad then theres this giant wolf thing
and i got worked pretty hard.

should i be doing sidequests or can you just follow the main story line and be high enough level? i really like the main stuff but i dont like whenever the mmo mechanics (run around pressing number keys) come into it and i'm worried the side quests will just be lots of that...

Vlodril

First as i mentioned before the side stories is not about that. Each mission you do adds to other missions around the world and the main mission. Its like little pieces of the puzzle.

Also i don't think you can do just the main mission. You ll get owned pretty hard and be unable to complete it.

Effect

Ugh. Dislike a game or not. That's fine in the end. What's not fine is outright lying. It's G4 though and I expect as much. Comparing TSW's beta to Tera's beta is just stupid as well. Tera was already a year old and the "beta" was just a testing of the localization and changes that were being made to the game for the non-Korean market. It was an established game. However going by his comments he's completely ignorant of that. Like I said before though... it's G4.

Anyone else getting 502 bad gateway errors on the official forum? I have been getting them since yesterday.

Edit: Seems to work as long as I'm logged into the forums.

owlbeak

Anyone planning something today? I would be ready for some dirty things (In Hell or something).
I've been trying to get people to run Inferno or the other instance in Blue Mountain and have been met with only silence. :(

If you want to run something, let me know. I can hop on whenever. I'm not doing anything today.

Madouu

I've been trying to get people to run Inferno or the other instance in Blue Mountain and have been met with only silence. :(

If you want to run something, let me know. I can hop on whenever. I'm not doing anything today.

I'll login in about an hour or two if you want to do inferno

Top Bottom