• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Secret World |OT| Everything is True

derFeef

Mayby full controller support? Is that already in the game? Im only playing with keyboard and mouse.

That would be cool, reticle type control scheme!

Bam. That was fast :p

Yeah they want the player to feel rewarded when you fire off your new weapon for the first time. No idea how that would work with the magics, but having some weird demon sounds with the hellish guns would be super sweet.

bart jr

Neo Member
Anyone want to run Darkness War today? I'm free all day and will be in and out of game. Just post here and we can meet up.

I would like to update my gear and basically planned on running this all day(damn me for JUST NOW seeing this). My name in-game is Drizzle.

owlbeak

I'll be on in just a few, so if you guys want to get together for Darkness War, just jump into Cabal chat, or send me a /tell if you're not Illuminati. My in-game is Evazan.

I'll probably be piddling around in the game for the better part of the evening.

corporateslave

Neo Member
Hey all, I've been playing this game since release date and have overall been enjoying it. I created my player after getting drunk, which in retrospect was a bad idea since I decided to name my character Poopie Monster. My name kind of sticks out since most people have more or less sensible names, even if they tend to be on the pretentious side.

I find TSW to be a solid game with some very clever quests. I enjoy the freedom to select skills and weapons that appeal to you off the start. Even if not all of the initial selections pan out to be viable long term, the initial freedom is refreshing.

I've finished all of the current quest lines in Kingsmouth and the savage coast and am about 3/4 of the way through Blue Mountain. Unfortunately, BM is starting to wear on me. The MOB density can be very annoying, particularly since my character has little to no AOE capability ATM. Anytime I attract more then one mob, which is pretty frequently, I tend to take a one way trip to the nearest anima well.

I just respecced from AR/Claw to AR/shotgun since I'm too intimidated to heal in this game. I have been playing WoW forever and generally play a holy priest. My initial intent was to heal so I started to build a Monk Deck (I'm playing Dragon.) I didn't, and still don't understand AR healing and don't want to punish a PUG by learning while running a dungeon. So since I end up going DPS in dungeons I just decided to reroll as a warrior deck. I'm now finding it hard to survive without reverting back to my AR/claw build which while low on DPS, was relatively awesome when it came to survivability with all of the rifle self heal skills.

So I do enjoy this game and am hoping to join a cabal soon that will put up with my deck tinkering. My strategy so far has to been to finish every zone quest and then knock out the zone dungeon before moving onto the next zone. Polaris and Inferno were both fun but given my recent reskill, I'm worried that DW will be a headache, just like the zone it's located in. Hopefully the next zone improves to put the fun factor back where it was before I entered Blue Mountain.

The Secret World - Free Weekend

From Friday, August 3rd at 4pm GMT until Monday, August 6th at 7am GMT, we invite you and your friends to participate in this exciting celebration!

We want to share the joy with as many people as possible! Any player, who has any type of The Secret World account, may join us over the weekend to celebrate our first month! Early Access, Inactive Accounts, and Beta Accounts may all join in! If you do not currently have an account for The Secret World, you may register to participate starting today, Friday, July 27th, to have open access to this special celebration weekend! You can find the celebration event registration on the right side of the official website! You may download the game here.

As long as you create an account prior to Friday, August 3rd, you can play the entire weekend for free. Also, it looks like we will be getting some free fireworks and a chance to score a free exclusive t-shirt and some bonus points which can be spent in the Funcom store:

http://thesecretworld.com/news/celebrate_the_first_live_month_of_the_secret_world

That's pretty cool. Hope those GAFers on the fence for the game give it a whirl next weekend.

Anyway, I've been pretty busy these past few weeks so I haven't been able to play as much as I'd like. :( Looks like I'm going to be resubbing.

panda21

I'm obviously doing this wrong. I asked earlier about whether I should do the sidequests or not in pursuit of the main quest line, and apparently the answer was yes.

So I went back and did all the sidequests in Kingsmouth that I could find that weren't "Very Hard". Some of them were pretty interesting and had cool puzzles. So after I had done them I went back to the main quest line, and it had me go to Insmouth Academy. Problem is now I'm still just getting worked over at every encounter.

But all the quests left in Kingsmouth that I could find were "very hard". What am I supposed to be doing?! I feel like I've spent more than enough time in Kingsmouth (maybe like 5 or 6 hours) and I'm starting to get bored of just running around trying to find quests I might have missed.

Its like you have to grind by running around the map searching for stuff to do and it feels kind of excessive given that I just want to get to the fun missions as fast as I can.

Is this just how MMOs are? Between this and the number key hammering combat I'm starting to find this more work than its worth.

1.1 is shaping up niceley on the testserver, good stuff and lot's of fixes again.
The new missions are also playable, but I will not do that ;)

Also there is now an interaction interface. Basically it pops up everytime you stand in front of something you can click (Lore, doors, etc.) - "Press (U) to pick up Lore" - it's pretty handy and I guess some might prefer it over the pixelhunting you have to do sometimes.

ooh this sounds quite good. Any chance they removed the waiting for lore pickups etc? I suspect that is a necessary engine property though. It's good to be back,though last night I didn't get a chance to play much.

derFeef

I'm obviously doing this wrong. I asked earlier about whether I should do the sidequests or not in pursuit of the main quest line, and apparently the answer was yes.

So I went back and did all the sidequests in Kingsmouth that I could find that weren't "Very Hard". Some of them were pretty interesting and had cool puzzles. So after I had done them I went back to the main quest line, and it had me go to Insmouth Academy. Problem is now I'm still just getting worked over at every encounter.

But all the quests left in Kingsmouth that I could find were "very hard". What am I supposed to be doing?! I feel like I've spent more than enough time in Kingsmouth (maybe like 5 or 6 hours) and I'm starting to get bored of just running around trying to find quests I might have missed.

Its like you have to grind by running around the map searching for stuff to do and it feels kind of excessive given that I just want to get to the fun missions as fast as I can.

Is this just how MMOs are? Between this and the number key hammering combat I'm starting to find this more work than its worth.

Hmm that should not be the case, what weapons are you using and are you putting (skill) points into weapons and talismans? What is your average quality level equipment?

EndersAres

Neo Member
Yeah secret world combat is frustrating. The difficulty curve between kingsmouth and savage coast is unbelievable. They don't gear you at all for the next zone. Same feeling when I got to blue mountains which I have to say is the worst zone I have encountered. Having to go back and grind kingsmouth four times to get the ability points I needed to survive was just too tiring for me. It's really disappointing the game starts off so great in kingsmouth, then it goes downhill from there. An absolute shame. Im sitting in egypt right now with 10/8 blades and 9/8 assault rifle with all my talismen at 8 and one monster with more health than I have almost kills me. Why?

kurahador

Actually the quests are laid out so that everytime you finish or on the way of doing one, you'll encounter another.
It seems you've went off from the "proper" path, happens to me too when in Kingsmouth.

And yes, this is pretty much how MMO works.

derFeef

Hey Feef, when were you planning to get GAF together for a Darkness War run today?

Not sure yet, I think in about 2 hours I can try to get online if my surroundings allow that :)

Yeah secret world combat is frustrating. The difficulty curve between kingsmouth and savage coast is unbelievable. They don't gear you at all for the next zone. Same feeling when I got to blue mountains which I have to say is the worst zone I have encountered. Having to go back and grind kingsmouth four times to get the ability points I needed to survive was just too tiring for me. It's really disappointing the game starts off so great in kingsmouth, then it goes downhill from there. An absolute shame. Im sitting in egypt right now with 10/8 blades and 9/8 assault rifle with all my talismen at 8 and one monster with more health than I have almost kills me. Why?

I found Savage Coast fairly easy after KM, but Blue Mointain gave me a good workout. J have not palyed Egypt much yet but it seems like you need more AoE and it's overall less solo-able.

The difficulty ramps up quite a bit from Savage Coast to Blue Mountain so it will catch a lot of people off guard. It looks like you are keeping your talismans and weapons up. I would recommend unlocking and using an AOE and some good self heals and leeches. I think this area and the next will be pretty difficult without much healing.

Personally, I really enjoy the challenge the game has been offering and think the difficulty is almost perfect.

panda21

Hmm that should not be the case, what weapons are you using and are you putting (skill) points into weapons and talismans? What is your average quality level equipment?

i'm using pistols and shotgun, at the moment i have pistol skill 2, shotgun skill 3 and 1 in each talisman. I've filled 'enforce' in ranged and am getting close with the other pistol/shotgun ones.

i have a QL1 shotgun and QL1 pistol, not really sure what that means or where to buy better ones. i also have a bunch of QL1 talismans.

i think i have a shitload of money but i dont know what to do with it, the vendors outside the police station in kingsmouth were only selling crappy weapons that werent any better than what i have

bart jr

Neo Member
The difficulty ramps up quite a bit from Savage Coast to Blue Mountain so it will catch a lot of people off guard. It looks like you are keeping your talismans and weapons up. I would recommend unlocking and using an AOE and some good self heals and leeches. I think this area and the next will be pretty difficult without much healing.

Personally, I really enjoy the challenge the game has been offering and think the difficulty is almost perfect.

The first mission that I did in Blue Mountain was a rude awakening for me. I'm using a Sword/Shotty DPS build, and I tore through Kingsmouth and Savage Coast with relatively no problem using only the Martial Discipline ability with the Regeneration passive for healing. In Blue Mountain I can't kill things nearly as quick as I did before because I have to focus more on survivability(using less powerful AoE for the mobs, and equipping self heals and leeches like you mentioned). It's definitely a humbling experience having to be cautious every fight after the rampage I went on in the previous two zones, haha.

As far as Blue Mountain goes, has anyone encountered the
Decomposing Kodiak
? Is it related to a mission or just a random encounter?

derFeef

i'm using pistols and shotgun, at the moment i have pistol skill 2, shotgun skill 3 and 1 in each talisman. I've filled 'enforce' in ranged and am getting close with the other pistol/shotgun ones.

i have a QL1 shotgun and QL1 pistol, not really sure what that means or where to buy better ones. i also have a bunch of QL1 talismans.

i think i have a shitload of money but i dont know what to do with it, the vendors outside the police station in kingsmouth were only selling crappy weapons that werent any better than what i have

Hm sounds like you are unequipped. Kingsmouth should give you some nice QL 3 weapons and talismans if you have almost finished it. Remember when you skill up talismans and weapons they give you some nice passive boosts as well. Tried crafting weapons? I am not selling anything, I am dismantling everything I do not use so I could craft a weapon if I stumble upon some weapon or talisman kits.

You can also buy blue QL3 gear at the Venice vendors in Kingsmouth with your quest tokens (sounds like you should have enough if you have done everything) - those should help a lot too!

edit: I am now free for some undertakings!

Yeah just upgrade the weapons and you'll be fine. Also don't automatically avoid "very hard" missions. I've been able to do them, although some take several tries and deaths.

I agree with everyone else about the difficulty... it can get very frustrating. The progression doesn't gear you up enough. You could do every single quest in Kingsmouth and still get rolled by monsters early in Savage Coast (mainly when outnumbered 2+ to 1), that just doesn't seem right. The players who get rolled in Savage Coast should be ones who went their too early, not ones that have completed almost the entirety of the previous zone.

panda21

thanks for the tips guys, i'll try again tomorrow and see if i cant do any better. i'm liking the whole solomon island area a lot so far, not so sure about egypt though, i think i might drop out before then.

owlbeak

Innsmouth Academy Hoodie GAF takes down Darkness War! :)

ibdMRCorzQwK3y.jpg

derFeef

I have to say that DW is the most fun dungeon so far. I love those priest assholes, the encounters are really cool! But I think it's a bit too short actually, there are almost NO trashmobs inbetween the bosses. Hell Raised was perfect in that regard.

For the most part, the only reason instances here have trash is to teach you how the bosses work. You'll see this very well if you do the next dungeon (Ankh). The only one I thought suffered for it was Slaughterhouse, which I don't think has any trash and is much more... compact than all of the others.

owlbeak

I have to say that DW is the most fun dungeon so far. I love those priest assholes, the encounters are really cool! But I think it's a bit too short actually, there are almost NO trashmobs inbetween the bosses. Hell Raised was perfect in that regard.
Completely agree. Really good dungeon, awesome scenery, fun battle mechanics and really interesting backstory for the mission. Best one so far, in my opinion.

owlbeak

Not sure if anyone posted this. USA Today article about TSW. Not a particularly deep (or long) article, but does show the game in a very positive light.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/gaming/story/2012-07-28/secret-world-game-review/56540600/1

Despite the shortcomings, The Secret World is most certainly an online role-playing game that shouldn't be kept secret. With its intoxicatingly cerebral blend of haunting landscapes, engaging plots and thoughtful quests that actually require a brain, "The Secret World" is proof that an MMO doesn't have to be mindless fun. Three out of four stars.

pelican

I like DW too, although the final boss is a bit flakey.

Prodigal

Banned
So I'm at a point now where I'm getting tired of my Shotgun/Ele build but I want to finish it so I can get the outfit (and just for the sake of completing it lol). All I have left are two abilities but they each cost 50 AP so it's gonna be a while...I might have to just suck it up!

Not sure if anyone posted this. USA Today article about TSW. Not a particularly deep (or long) article, but does show the game in a very positive light.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/gaming/story/2012-07-28/secret-world-game-review/56540600/1

Very cool and quite surprising coming from USA Today...

Also it was great coming home to some new Cabal members. Can't wait to meet up with you all. My dream is to someday see London brimming with bars/side areas to socialize and fuck around.

New content very soon :D

corporateslave

Neo Member
I just finished the filth amendment last night. That was the first non dungeon group quest I have run. The quest itself was not at all fun. However, one thing this game has going for it, versus a more "mainstream" MMORPG is that the player base is more mature/understanding. I grouped up with a DPS templar that was using rifles. My DPS is rather weak so they asked me to heal. In the midst of changing gear, I pulled a completely asanine move and deleted my claws. I thought I was receiving the "do you want to bind this equipment" to you message, but must have received an "are you sure you want to destroy this equipment" message instead. In retropsect since the claws were already bound, I dont know why the message didn't register. I was in a hurry since the MOBS in that area respawn pretty quick.

Had I done something like this in WoW Im sure I would have been removed from the group immediately.Instead, this player actually gave me a pair of claws they had in their bag. Feeling guilty I gave them 20K PAX when they opened the trade window. We ended up joining two other players and fiinished the quest off. In addition, this was the first time I had had the chance to heal in a group. I didn't receive any complaints and no one died so I guess I did fine.

So while I am still ready to move out of BM immediately, the experience I had with the player base yesterday was super positive. I still can't get over how something I did that was so stupid still resulted in an overall positive gameplay experience.

kch

All this talk about Blue Mountain being hard and tiresome is starting to scare me as I get close to finishing up Savage Coast and thus far it's been a great ride. Although it did get really slow soloing some of the late quests in SC as a healer but building a decent dps setup with gear and a new deck made the experiance so much better. Thank you deck manager addon :) Hopefully BM won't be that bad.

THe only problem I'm havin with the game is that you can't really distinguish weaker players from stronger players. Normally in Mmos you get gear from dungeons that look a lot better than starting gear, but that doesn't seem to be the case on this game. Are there any accessories you get from later dungeons that actually make you stand out?

derFeef

THe only problem I'm havin with the game is that you can't really distinguish weaker players from stronger players. Normally in Mmos you get gear from dungeons that look a lot better than starting gear, but that doesn't seem to be the case on this game. Are there any accessories you get from later dungeons that actually make you stand out?

You can tell if weapons are from dungeons etc. (hellish, high tech,...) or if characters have special outfit like from the decks or some you get from achievements. So there is a little bit of that. But generally this game is less harsh with the differences.

All this talk about Blue Mountain being hard and tiresome is starting to scare me as I get close to finishing up Savage Coast and thus far it's been a great ride. Although it did get really slow soloing some of the late quests in SC as a healer but building a decent dps setup with gear and a new deck made the experiance so much better. Thank you deck manager addon :) Hopefully BM won't be that bad.

If it is too hard move on to Egypt and take turns switching between the two. That's what I'm doing and though I have suspended progress in the main quest (which nay bother some people ) it has been overall much more pleasant.

Marathoning the game a bit tonight as work has kept me from leaving vacation mode.

bakeray

If it is too hard move on to Egypt and take turns switching between the two. That's what I'm doing and though I have suspended progress in the main quest (which nay bother some people ) it has been overall much more pleasant.

Marathoning the game a bit tonight as work has kept me from leaving vacation mode.
Yeah you're really not supposed to power through the main-line quest, the object is to do quests along the way and get lost in the world, that's why the questgiving NPCs are sort of spread out instead of all being in giant clusters

Top Bottom