• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Secret World |OT| Everything is True

xeris

Bought the game at launch but never got the chance to play it.

Which faction and weapons would you guys recommend and why ?

Edit: Also, on which server is GAF on ?

Faction is pretty much a matter of taste since there's only a few different quests between them and the only thing different factions can't do together is PvP or join the same cabal. Also, anyone can group with anyone else regardless of server. Server only matters for the one persistent PvP zone.

Weapons pretty much determine your roll. If you let us know what you usually enjoy playing (tank, dps, heal) we can probably at least give you a good start on what you might like.

CaLe

Faction is pretty much a matter of taste since there's only a few different quests between them and the only thing different factions can't do together is PvP or join the same cabal. Also, anyone can group with anyone else regardless of server. Server only matters for the one persistent PvP zone.

Weapons pretty much determine your roll. If you let us know what you usually enjoy playing (tank, dps, heal) we can probably at least give you a good start on what you might like.

Thanks for the detailed answer ! Are cabals per server ? I'm thinking of joining the Templars on Cerberus and wanted some people to chat with while playing.

I'm thinking of going DPS for the first time around :)

derFeef

Some nice new combat animations, really cool. Ground Pound still looks wonky, though.

Thanks for the detailed answer ! Are cabals per server ? I'm thinking of joining the Templars on Cerberus and wanted some people to chat with while playing.

Cabals are also cross-dimensional. Basically the dimension does not matter as long as you do not want to play the large persistent pvp zone (Fusang) with friends.

Btw. I put some weapons and a Glyph into the Cabal bank, if anyone want's to take a look.
And I noticed that if you disassemble a weapon now, you get metal AND runes out of it, I never saw that happen before the update.

edit: on the testserver
Fixed a bug that caused custom chat tabs to lose subscription to some chat channels on zoning.
Maaan, missed the big update by a few hours :/
That fix is coming next week as it seems (1.1.1). It also fixes the clipping with all the new (and old) hats.

Bought the game at launch but never got the chance to play it.

Which faction and weapons would you guys recommend and why ?

Edit: Also, on which server is GAF on ?

Templar GAF is the most active I think. Join us!

Other than group chatting with people in your Cabal, the only thing you can't do with people that are outside of your Cabal is the Fusang persistent PVP which is dimension specific. You can do the other PVP warzones such as El-Dorado and Stonehenge as a group with your fellow Cabal members.

Every weapon can be built for DPS but for min/max players some may be more efficient than others. If you open your weapon skills menu with "K", you can see that each weapon has a Damage build and a secondary build which is either Support, Healing, or Survivability. The Ability Wheel has builds for both specifications.

Is the free weekend this weekend or is it over.

This coming weekend. If you go to the Secret World website there is a sign up on the right side of the main page.

They moved us to the Community ghetto! Oh no!

Replacing my 5870 with a GTX 670 today. Will be interesting to see the performance gains not only from jumping to a more powerful GPU but from moving from AMD to nVidia. I read there were a lot of performance issues with AMD and while I didn't have too many problems there were a lot of areas where my frame rates would simply crash into the low 20s (good example is the rooftops in Egypt).

derFeef

Do you guys use the new interaction menu/popup? I find it quite handy in most spots, but it get's in the way in others.

They moved us to the Community ghetto! Oh no!
Awww man it's already a wasteland in here :( We should make a news thread about the free weekend btw. so peole can register in time!

Do you guys use the new interaction menu/popup? I find it quite handy in most spots, but it get's in the way in others.

Awww man it's already a wasteland in here :( We should make a news thread about the free weekend btw. so peole can register in time!

I disabled it in my options because I find the UI text highly distracting. The functionality still works with the text disabled so I use it for some things, but most ladders found in instances are still pretty terrible.

About the upcoming free weekend, you must have missed all the fun in this thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=484648

indigoo_picture0269xjfu.png

Hello everyone. New missions are amazing!

derFeef

I disabled it in my options because I find the UI text highly distracting. The functionality still works with the text disabled so I use it for some things, but most ladders found in instances are still pretty terrible.

About the upcoming free weekend, you must have missed all the fun in this thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=484648

Oh why do I know what's in there even without clicking :/

edit: lol indigo /jazzhands

Effect

Got around to doing Carter Unleashed last night. Pretty good. My interest in her as a character shot right up. Here's hoping
they do more mission where she either shows up or you're partnered with her. She's going to be insanely powerful if she isn't already if they keep pushing her story. Though hope they have her advance to have more control. Her attack doesn't give you a lot of time to get away at times. Got killed by the firestorm a few times because I didn't realize the radius would so large and go through walls.
. Maybe the spoiler tag wasn't needed but didn't want to ruin the results to soon. Not sure if I want to do the missions form the male teacher at the academy though. Might do those later but don't want to lose out on getting points.

dubq

Anyone use any voice software to chat while playing? Like Skype or Ventrilo?

I was on yesterday and finished Hell & Bach. Amazing mission and I really loved that they make you work to solve each step. LOVE IT!! MORE MORE MORE!!

derFeef

Got around to doing Carter Unleashed last night. Pretty good. My interest in her as a character shot right up. Here's hoping
they do more mission where she either shows up or you're partnered with her. She's going to be insanely powerful if she isn't already if they keep pushing her story. Though hope they have her advance to have more control. Her attack doesn't give you a lot of time to get away at times. Got killed by the firestorm a few times because I didn't realize the radius would so large and go through walls.
. Maybe the spoiler tag wasn't needed but didn't want to ruin the results to soon. Not sure if I want to do the missions form the male teacher at the academy though. Might do those later but don't want to lose out on getting points.

Yeah that mission is great. The problem for me was that I was just too powerful so it turned out really short.

pyrandes

Ankh is probably my favorite, although learning the final boss took the group I run with the better part of an hour.

Both Ankh and DW were fun dungeons when i ran thru them. After ankh, tho, Ive had no experience (dps or tanking). At some point Ill get up and do the Transylvania ones and start in on some of the other elite runs.

xeris

I realize it's a bit late now but
if you use the item you make in the first couple steps you become invulnerable to her power. Use it when she says something like "Things are going to get a bit gory" and it'll last until she's done. It has unlimited charges and the cooldown is about the same length as her power lasts.

I may be down if we can get enough folk.

I heard they nerfed this dungeon a bit but I would be down to run it again. I wanted to experiment with a couple of changes in my tanking build and I still need the sword and pistols.

I'll be on around 6 PM but I'm only good for a run or two because I have dinner plans at 8. I'm going to put in a good bit of time this weekend though if anyone wants to run that or the Egypt dungeons.

kurahador

Hmm...I just realized that for the free weekend, they'll be giving free 1200 pts if you solve 30 missions.

So for us launch players, do we get them automatically?

I heard they nerfed this dungeon a bit but I would be down to run it again. I wanted to experiment with a couple of changes in my tanking build and I still need the sword and pistols.

I'll be on around 6 PM but I'm only good for a run or two because I have dinner plans at 8. I'm going to put in a good bit of time this weekend though if anyone wants to run that or the Egypt dungeons.

I'll definitely be interested in the Egypt dungeons if I'm on at the time. I've yet to run them.

The Transylvania investigation issue mission is throwing me for a loop. Still working on my research for it. This is why I fucking love this game. It feels like a proper adventure game. Knowledge is power people.

Vodh

So they're pretty much giving away 8 pounds worth of points, or the-most-expensive-currently-available store item for turning in a bunch of quests? Am I missing some big catch there?

Took me a while to get into it but i'm really enjoying it now. Too bad I wasted almost the entirety of my free month playing other games. Illuminati-GAF send Vandravin an invite.

CaLe

Anyone else can't login ? I'm stuck at "Downloading patch information"...

Edit: Nevermind, server is down for 2 more hours... Sigh.

dubq

Ok, I gotta say.. riding the rollercoaster in the theme park on the Savage Coast kinda freaked me out! :D

I am glad to hear they hotfixed the chat tabs. Hopefully the marketplace issue of sold items still being shown for sale is fixed next. I couldn't buy any of the blades I wanted last night. :(

Top Bottom