• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Simpsons - Season 27 |OT| - Sundays at 8 on FOX | Pre-Show Marathons at 4 on FXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

B.K.

There's going to be a two-parter later this season where we finally find out
Smithers is gay.
Is that the first two-parter since Who Shot Mr. Burns?

UberTag

There's going to be a two-parter later this season where we finally find out
Smithers is gay.
Is that the first two-parter since Who Shot Mr. Burns?
It's not going to be a two-parter so much as a storyline spanning two episodes. Which we have had since Who Shot Mr. Burns. I can think of a couple such instances involving Flanders (when he was wooing Rachel Jordan and when he married Edna Krabappel).

UberTag

Season 27 is now a week old... and it's off to the worst start in the show's proud history.
We've had one poorly reviewed episode that nobody watched.

Let's see if this week fares any better both critically and in the ratings department.
It's already more promising because it seems clear that Selman showran this one instead of Jean. With few exceptions, Selman episodes are almost always better.

That's the good news. The bad news is that Joel H. Cohen is attached as head writer.
He's not Tim Long-level bad but Selman still has his work cut out for him.

CUE DETECTIVE - Sunday, October 4th | Episode Production Code = TABF17 / Writer = Joel H. Cohen

HOMER COMPETES IN A SMOKE-OFF

Behind the Scenes - Recording w/ Guest Stars Edward James Olmos and Bobby Moynihan
Clip #1 - Charred and Moist
Clip #2 - One-Sided Farce
Clip #3 - What Are They?

Cue_Detective_promo_4_zpsn7uojunr.jpg
Cue_Detective_promo_3_zpsy4cre9hk.jpg

Cue_Detective_promo_6_zpsauoy50vw.jpg
Cue_Detective_promo_1_zpskqrwelg4.jpg

Edward James Olmos, Alton Brown, Bobby Moynihan and Ben Schwartz Guest-Voice

Scotty Boom, a Chew Network super-chef, challenges Homer to a smoke-off. But when someone steals Homer’s secret weapon – a smoker he bought off a mysterious man at a BBQ shack – Lisa and Bart are on the case.

FXX Marathon Theme - Sibling Sleuths

Krusty_Gets_Busted_33_zps9hjti3i7.jpg
Two_Dozen_and_One_Greyhounds_98_zpsdjuxouio.jpg

The_Seven-Beer_Snitch_119_zps3yfdsowu.jpg
Rome-Old_and_Julie-Eh_3_zpszportexa.jpg

homchips.gif

4:00pm Krusty Gets Busted (S1E12 / 7G12 / 1990)
4:30pm Like Father, Like Clown (S3E6 / 8F05 / 1991)
5:00pm The Front (S4E19 / 9F16 / 1993)
5:30pm Two Dozen and One Greyhounds (S6E20 / 2F18 / 1995)
6:00pm Children of a Lesser Clod (S12E20 / CABF16 / 2001)
6:30pm The Seven-Beer Snitch (S16E14 / GABF08 / 2005)
7:00pm Rome-Old and Juli-Eh (S18E15 / JABF08 / 2007)
7:30pm American History X-cellent (S21E17 / MABF08 / 2010)

Ahasverus

Jean was already showrunner in the past, he did season 3 and 4 with Reiss. They left for The Critic and only Jean came back. Turns out Jean needs Reiss to deliver quality.
Where is he and why didn't he come back? The critic was cancelled almost instantly wasn't it?

UberTag

Mike Reiss wanted to explore himself creatively with other projects independent of The Simpsons. He periodically contributes as a consultant and assisted with writing the script for The Simpsons Movie but he's been content to do other things.

I actually disagree with the argument that Al Jean "needs Reiss to deliver quality". He doesn't. The problem with Al is that he's tapped out (heh) in terms of creative energy due to the show running so long but he also loves the security it affords him to move on. He's not nearly critical enough which is why countless abominable Tim Long scripts have gotten the green light under his watch. And he does his best Reggie Fils-Aime impression when he goes into PR mode. Which he can't help. He loves being the PR figurehead for the show. Whether you're a journalist or some random schmoe on Twitter, he'll happily answer anything if you seek him out.

Matt Selman's episodes aren't perfect (I'm not sure any showrunner could deliver perfection out of a 27th season of any show) but he gets effort out of EVERYONE. Not just the animation director. Voice direction, writing, original ideas that challenge convention, joke consistency (not settling into the bad habits of "list jokes", padding for time, over-long couch gags, filler musical montages, 1st acts that don't go anywhere, etc.)... they all take a step up under Selman's watch. He's more critical... and perhaps the fact that he only handles 4 episodes out of a run instead of 22 allows him the time to be fussy.

And Al actually does have a strong read of the show and its characters when he takes the time away from showrunning and allows himself to contribute creatively. He was head writer for last season's best episode (I Won't Be Home for Christmas) and there were touches of emotion and character depth in that episode that you'll seldom see outside of the classic era. Frankly, I would love it if Jean would be content to give up the showrunner torch and just contribute as a writer more because I think that would be a better fit for everybody.

But nobody seems to want to upset the apple cart unless they need to. Perhaps when the show is kicking off its definitive final production run that philosophy will change.

It says a lot that every week, right before a new episode airs, they have marathons of episodes that are similar to the one that premieres later that night.

Joni

Where is he and why didn't he come back? The critic was cancelled almost instantly wasn't it?
He is doing his own stuff, but he isn't scoring his own hits either.

I actually disagree with the argument that Al Jean "needs Reiss to deliver quality". He doesn't. The problem with Al is that he's tapped out (heh) in terms of creative energy due to the show running so long but he also loves the security it affords him to move on.
The problem with that is that he is clearly getting better. Jean's return as a showrunner was the low point of the show. Going lower until 17-18, going up again. It just seems that Reiss and Jean need to play off each other to get their best.

And Al actually does have a strong read of the show and its characters when he takes the time away from showrunning and allows himself to contribute creatively. He was head writer for last season's best episode (I Won't Be Home for Christmas) and there were touches of emotion and character depth in that episode that you'll seldom see outside of the classic era. Frankly, I would love it if Jean would be content to give up the showrunner torch and just contribute as a writer more because I think that would be a better fit for everybody.
That would be awesome, if they could get someone that didn't actually grew up on The Simpsons, maybe David Mirkin. He is the only one that is kinda available. I always think the problem is that the current group of writers knows The Simpsons too well. The original group didn't grow up on the show, so they don't have to mimick it or have to push against it to think up new stuff.

Zubz

Banned
Calling it now, without even needing to see the clips: the reason the BBQ smoker's so mysterious/effective is that it uses weed to smoke the meat, or something. Also, why is Homer wearing Zubaz?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Apparently since there was a major Packers game, local Fox affiliate delayed Simpsons to late at night. Bah.

ElTopo

Banned
Saw the premier. Very unfunny. Has the usual out of character moments like Bart wanting to kill Homer and being happy that he's gone. Lame episode.

Maengun1

Fuckingn Al Jean, he killed the Simpsons :( save us good writers.

Regardless of whether or not someone thinks Al Jean is a good showrunner (I think he's not good), it's always pissed me off so much that he refused to step down.

I listened to all the DVD commentaries on the older seasons, and both Dave Mirkin (showrunner of seasons 5-6) and Oakley & Weinstein (7-8) talk about how draining the job is, and how they gave it their all for 2 great seasons and then let someone else step in with their own ideas and agenda for the show.

Al Jean has been showrunning The Simpsons for fifteen years now. I actually think when he first took over (season 13) the quality went up ....for a couple seasons. But then he absolutely drove it into the ground and just would not give it up to anyone. I really think if he had let some fresh new writer take over in season 16 or 17 the show might have taken another upturn but it just never happened. "Stale" doesn't even begin to cover the show nowadays.

Dude must have a huge ego.

Sou Da

Decent episode, still has the "falls apart in the third act" problem all the newer episodes do.

The eyeball popping episode was the most egregious example of this.

Sou Da

We shall not speak of the eyeball popping episode in this thread.
I've already gone through deprogramming twice to wipe that episode from my memory.
Sad thing is that every other concept on paper in that episode works really well. It even avoided the "company wants to use drug for evil" cliche.

mreddie

So next week is a episode about Halloween that's not ToH related?

That's gonna be weird.

And the episode after that is ToH.

UberTag

So next week is a episode about Halloween that's not ToH related?
Not quite. We still have the Patty & Selma quit smoking / Maggie befriends wild animals episode to get through first. THEN we'll dive into our two Halloween episodes.

It seems likely that Halloween of Horror will parody assorted home invasion movies.

Joni

Regardless of whether or not someone thinks Al Jean is a good showrunner (I think he's not good), it's always pissed me off so much that he refused to step down.

I listened to all the DVD commentaries on the older seasons, and both Dave Mirkin (showrunner of seasons 5-6) and Oakley & Weinstein (7-8) talk about how draining the job is, and how they gave it their all for 2 great seasons and then let someone else step in with their own ideas and agenda for the show.

Al Jean has been showrunning The Simpsons for fifteen years now. I actually think when he first took over (season 13) the quality went up ....for a couple seasons. But then he absolutely drove it into the ground and just would not give it up to anyone. I really think if he had let some fresh new writer take over in season 16 or 17 the show might have taken another upturn but it just never happened. "Stale" doesn't even begin to cover the show nowadays.

Dude must have a huge ego.

The quality didn't go up when he took over, season 13 is actually one of the low points, specially going down more to 17 and 18. Those were the years where I almost dropped the show. There has been an uptick in quality after the move to HD.

UberTag

Review consensus of this week's episode from NoHomers.net after 24 hours is in... and "the nerds" enjoyed this week's ep a lot more than the premiere.

Did this episode reach Agatha Christie levels?

5/5: What a thrillride! 10.53%
4/5: Some fine investigatin'! 39.47%
3/5: Would have hired LasseMaya, but Lisa and Bart are okay. 23.68%
2/5: What a snoozeride! 18.42%
1/5: Cold case 7.89%

I wonder if the TV ratings will follow suit.

UberTag

Pretty god damn hyped for the three upcoming episodes, they seem to be pretty darn good!
And, speaking of that, here's what's on deck for tomorrow night. Incidentally, this might be the least-hyped J. Stewart Burns ep ever... they barely didn't even bother getting promo pics up before the weekend. I'm actually taking this as a good sign given the over-hype that's been done for many episodes over the past couple years.

Please note the early start time for tomorrow's FXX pre-episode marathon.

PUFFLESS - Sunday, October 11th | Episode Production Code = TABF19 / Writer = J. Stewart Burns

SELMA AND PATTY GIVE UP SMOKING

FOX Promo
Clip #1 - Maggie's Extraordinary Animal Adventure
Clip #2 - A Hero Returns

simp_Puffless_TABF19-T19_Sc2070_hires2.png
simp_Puffless_TABF19-T19_Sc2043_hires2.png

simp_Puffless_TABF19-T19_Sc3022_hires2.png
Puffless_promo_1_zpsdqzqaamk.jpg

Yo-Yo Ma Makes Guest-Voice Appearance

Upon learning that their father really died of lung cancer, Selma and Patty agree to quit smoking. When Selma relapses, an angry Patty moves in with Marge and Homer.

FXX Marathon Theme - Patty & Selma (3:00pm special start time)

5496482_zpslxxmcxlb.png
CGLTGgSXEAAAs7__zpseymqn5cg.png

a-fish-called-selma13_zpskifquozd.png
KKBB-3_zpsrmqxlkrm.jpg

giphy.gif

3:00pm Homer Alone (S3E15 / 8F14 / 1992)
3:30pm Selma's Choice (S4E13 / 9F11 / 1993)
4:00pm Homer vs. Patty and Selma (S6E17 / 2F14 / 1995)
4:30pm A Fish Called Selma (S7E19 / 3F15 / 1996)
5:00pm There's Something About Marrying (S16E10 / GABF04 / 2005)
5:30pm Kiss Kiss Bang Bangalore (S17E17 / HABF10 / 2006)
6:00pm Wedding for Disaster (S20E15 / LABF05 / 2009)
6:30pm The Real Housewives of Fat Tony (S22E19 / NABF12 / 2011)

Sou Da

They could have had them switch to e-cigs and ignored that shitty episode that ragged on them or just had them quit. BUT NOPE STATUS QUO.

Tapejara

Pretty meh episode. I thought the Maggie B-plot was cute and reached the right amount of ridiculous by the end, but the Selma/Patty story was boring. Not too many laughs this week, but I did like
Duffman's Toucan Edit: I mean parrot.

5/10.

Dishwalla

Banned
I tuned out after the first commercial break. Dreadfully boring ep up to that point, went back to watching NFL highlights.

UberTag

I neglected to share the enthusiast fan take on Puffless earlier this week so might as well tackle that now. Needless to say, the diehards seemed to enjoy this episode a fair bit more than I did.

Review consensus of this week's episode from NoHomers.net.

What did you think of "Puffless?"

5/5: Smokin'! 25.00%
4/5: A good ol' Laramie does the trick! 42.50%
3/5: Well, it was cheap at least. 20.00%
2/5: Blasé brand. 12.50%
1/5: Oh dear heavens! Why am I smoking this?! 0%

Apparently all you need to do to get a positive reception is to stick a Maggie revolts against the system subplot into your trite contrived storyline and it's considered a modern day classic.

UberTag

Tomorrow night we have our first of TWO Halloween-themed episodes. And this first one boasts a lot of promise as it's another Selman-showrun affair with a legitimately fresh (for the Simpsons) concept and the advance promos have been particularly humorous. Haven't been this optimistic about an episode in quite some time.

Please note the early start time for tomorrow's FXX pre-episode marathon.

HALLOWEEN OF HORROR - Sunday, October 18th | Episode Production Code = TABF22 / Writer = Carolyn Omine

HOMER AND LISA FACE HALLOWEEN HOME INVADERS

FOX Promo
Behind the Scenes - Recording w/ Guest Stars Blake Anderson and Nick Kroll
Clip #1 - Lost
Clip #2 - Pretend
Clip #3 - Stalked

Halloween_of_Horror_promo_3_zps0jwhwmk2.jpg
Halloween_of_Horror_promo_2_zpsavwzerku.jpg

Halloween_of_Horror_promo_1_zpst8b6iy1q.jpg
Halloween_of_Horror_promo_4_zpsyzn51lzn.jpg

Nick Kroll and Blake Anderson Makes Guest-Voice Appearances

When Lisa becomes scared at the Krustyland Halloween Horror Night, Homer is forced to take down his Everscream Terrors decorations. Halloween pop-up employees seek vengeance on Homer for causing them to lose their jobs, and rob his house while Homer and Lisa hide out in the attic. Homer and Lisa light up their stored holiday decorations to attract attention and stand up to the intruders.

FXX Marathon Theme - Phobias (3:30pm special start time)

med_1411416329_1397385596_image_zpssshbkju1.jpg
Homers_Phobia_50_zpsb95xjzqi.jpg

The_Strong_Arms_of_the_Ma_33_zpsxfiu1gep.jpg
CIJF6quWEAERs-t_zps52un7kt9.jpg

tumblr_lt2uogmF4B1qh59n0o1_250.gif

3:30pm Fear of Flying (S6E11 / 2F08 / 1994)
4:00pm Homer's Phobia (S8E15 / 4F11 / 1997)
4:30pm Strong Arms of the Ma (S14E9 / EABF04 / 2003)
5:00pm The Ziff Who Came to Dinner (S15E14 / FABF08 / 2004)
5:30pm My Big Fat Geek Wedding (S15E17 / FABF12 / 2004)
6:00pm The Girl Who Slept Too Little (S17E2 / GABF16 / 2005)
6:30pm How Munched Is That Birdie in the Window? (S22E7 / NABF02 / 2010)
7:00pm Homer Goes to Prep School (S24E9 / RABF02 / 2013)

And... as a special repeat on FOX (because it's not a part of next week's Treehouse of Horror marathon on FXX)...

THOH25_zpsioki5ui0.jpg

Simpsons-Treehouse-of-Horror-XXV-Anime-Refs-500-x-279.gif

7:30pm Treehouse of Horror XXV (S26E4 / SABF21 / 2014)

Sanjuro

Football on tonight, so will have to watch this later.

I am alone though in liking the Treehouse of Horror episodes the least? I don't hate them, just always have been slightly sour on them for some reason.

Maengun1

I'm enjoying this so far!

It really helps having a premise they've truly never used before. It's weird and, honestly, exciting seeing a canon Simpsons Halloween.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom