• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sims 3 |OT|

Retro

VibratingDonkey said:
Anywho, until mods happen you get 1000 points with the game. What do you all recommend one should spend it on?

I'd honestly save em. The four sets you can buy are all pretty 'meh', and all of the other content appears to be just the individual pieces of said sets.

I've never understood the Sims' fixation on Tiki furniture, but I am glad I have the option of not having it crowd my content selection this time around. Same goes for the Hewnsman; cabin-style decor is just not very appealing to me. The Storybook set looks like the typical castle decor, but there's already a lot of nice high-end furniture in the game already. Out of the four, the Bayside set looks the most useful, so if you're going to blow points, it might as well be there.

Unfortunately for you and everyone else expecting a fair shake from EA, the Tiki set is the only one you can buy with the points they give you. All of the others are cleverly priced at just over 1000 points. If you want the Bayside, that's 1450 points, which means you'll be paying cash.

You do have the option of buying individual pieces, but I'm pretty sure it turns out to be more expensive that way, and you might as well have matching sets if building is really your goal.

So, yeah. Save your points until they put something that isn't just a decor set that should have been included for free with the game. Pool table, pinball machine, stuff that has actual functions rather than just new colors.

BigAT

Does anyone know if it's possible to add a new Sim to an already existing household or to create a new house with previously created Sims and a new Sim? I've been trying to figure it out and have been unsuccessful.

Retro said:
So, yeah. Save your points until they put something that isn't just a decor set that should have been included for free with the game. Pool table, pinball machine, stuff that has actual functions rather than just new colors.

My plan as well.

PS: Slacker, thanks for the OP update, grabbed the other free stuff. At some point I plan on doing some exchange searching, and I'll link some good stuff when I do.

Retro

2znvjhl.jpg

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Apparently there is also a few free T-shirts, but without any way to sort store items by price (clumsily designed interface or intentional design, you be the judge), there's no way to tell except by hunting through everything.

Really, you'd think they'd have a way to sort items by price, considering people might be looking around for something small to spend a few remaining points on. But no, they'd much rather you scour the entire store looking for something, because then you might find something you'd really like, and add more points instead of just spending what you have left.

BobsRevenge said:
You can add non-steam games to steam bro.

Christ.

Its barely a convenience thing anyways. Its actually more convenient to launch from desktop. Hit the "show desktop" button, then double click on some shit.

EA has their own download manager if you're worried about patches.
You can also make Desktop Shortcuts of the games in your Steam... bro. :lol
Convenient indeed!

Anyway, I'll be waiting for a Steam release as well.

So apparently, there's no school in Sunset Valley for my kid to go to. I can't find anything on the exchange either. I really don't want to build one myself. I wonder if I can steal one from Riverview....

Just set off my download now! :D

I'm getting a steady 1MB/s so it should be done in an hour and a half. Surpised EA's servers are holding up so well, I'd have thought they'd have been getting hammered considering the game just unlocked across Europe half an hour ago.

jgwhiteus

By the way, what will probably be another great modding site for free items and objects (in the future) is modthesims. ModTheSims2 was my favorite modding site for the Sims 2, and they already have a few things up for the Sims 3, though not much (I think a few game behavior hacks and some lots?)

http://www.modthesims.info/

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Revolutionary said:
You can also make Desktop Shortcuts of the games in your Steam... bro. :lol
Convenient indeed!

Anyway, I'll be waiting for a Steam release as well.

Assuming you want to play the game, why wait for Steam?

Juice

Hey, if anyone plans switching to window mode to multi-task while playing, count on the game to quietly crash on you. In Vista and OS X, after about five minutes of doing something else, Sims will just magically close and not be there anymore when I try to switch back to it.

Surfheart

Wow, this game stutters like a mofo on my PC. Max or min details it jumps and stutters whilst scrolling about. PC is decent: Q6600@3.2/4Gb Ram/NV 9800GTX/Vista 64

Brought the game into work and installed it on one of our Dell XPS systems, exact same issues.
The XPS is Q9450@2.66/4Gb Ram/ATi 3870x2/Vista 64

Could this be a Vista thing? Anyone else with the dreaded stutters?

Runs like a champ on my Macbook Pro... lower average framerate but no horrible frame skipping.

Juice

Surfheart said:
Wow, this game stutters like a mofo on my PC. Max or min details it jumps and stutters whilst scrolling about. PC is decent: Q6600@3.2/4Gb Ram/NV 9800GTX/Vista 64

Brought the game into work and installed it on one of our Dell XPS systems, exact same issues.

Runs like a champ on my Macbook Pro... lower average framerate but no horrible frame skipping.

Stutters on my MBP on 32-bit Vista. Runs fine under OS X.

First time I can think of a non-Blizzard game performing better under OS X.

Retro

Surfheart said:

I'm running it on a Dell XPS Dual Core @ 2.80GHz, 1.5gb Ram, NVidia GeForce 8600 GT, running XP SP3, and it runs just fine (takes a bit to save though, I've noticed). Sounds like a Vista problem.

Zinthar

I'm struggling with deciding whether to pick this up or not.

I have slightly enjoyed the previous Sims games, and it sounds like they fixed my complaints from those, but I've become accustomed to only purchasing PC games via Steam.

I feel like if I wait 2 months or so EA will put out a Steam release (I'm guessing they're trying to keep retail partners from getting pissed by avoiding Steam to start with), and if I know that's coming, I feel like I should wait for it.

Anyway, glad to see that people are enjoying it... and that I'm not the only hardcore gamer who finds the world of the Sims attractive.

Juice

ACK. Between the frequent crashes and one minute save lag, this is really frustrating.

Game discourages you from saving and then it crashes and you lose your progress. Blech.

I am feeling pretty lucky then. I got a skype call today while playing, and managed to pick it up, alt tab over to the call, alt tab back into the game, save, and shut down with no real problem. Also minimized the game for awhile while trying to solve my lack-of-school problem, and that didn't really mess anything up either.

Zinthar said:
I'm struggling with deciding whether to pick this up or not.

I have slightly enjoyed the previous Sims games, and it sounds like they fixed my complaints from those, but I've become accustomed to only purchasing PC games via Steam.

I feel like if I wait 2 months or so EA will put out a Steam release (I'm guessing they're trying to keep retail partners from getting pissed by avoiding Steam to start with), and if I know that's coming, I feel like I should wait for it.

Anyway, glad to see that people are enjoying it... and that I'm not the only hardcore gamer who finds the world of the Sims attractive.

Go with gamersgate, they're better than Steam if anything.

Theres widescale crashing problems while multi tasking?

Well I guess I've been very lucky then. Sorry to hear it's happening to other people.

I'm enjoying the game. Just like Sims 2 to Sims 1, it's more streamlined and even more goal focused. What's fascinated me so far though is populating the city with my own creations and seeing what happens to them when they're off growing up on their own.

I created an introverted father-daughter household and, first game, I came back to find that they'd acquired a baby :S and put on a lot of weight. Second time around they did pretty well for themselves and made a lot of money.

I also made a fundamentally incompatible married couple, diametrically opposite traits and stuff. Playing as them they basically ended up physically fighting within minutes of moving in, but left to their own devices they've got a child now.

I just wish it were slightly easier to switch between them all. Theres a certain extent to which the big town sim level is pointless if it's not convenient to be running more than one family.

edit: I got the free town. Why not put it on the disc? That's just weird. I guess I mightn't have registered the game otherwise. Two to begin with isn't bad. It's the complete lack of hairstyles that gets me.

Juice

chicken_ramen said:
I also made a fundamentally incompatible married couple, diametrically opposite traits and stuff. Playing as them they basically ended up physically fighting within minutes of moving in, but left to their own devices they've got a child now

Sounds about right to me. Kids are a great option when your spouse is no longer enough to make you happy.

dskillzhtown said:
Assuming you want to play the game, why wait for Steam?
Because there's no rush to play it.
It's the Sims. I know how it plays, and I know I'll get addicted once I do.

Plus, I have plenty on my plate at the moment (including the Uncharted 2 beta). lol
I can wait.

Played the game hours and hours yesterday. Here are my thoughts:

Good:
-Love the village, visiting what you want with out loading screens is incredible.
-The new way for having friends in work or by going out the village is also excellent. Great thumbs up for automatic friends (will help a lot when work conditions tell you at least to have 10 friends).
-The six bars instead of 8. Comfort and enviroment gone. Fuck yeah. Enviroment sucked ass.
-Also the bars fill up enterely with everything you do. If you eat any meal it will go all up (it will also goes down fast if you eat a shitty meal). Better method a think.
-Independent bars and hours for things you are doing. For example if you are sleeping it will tell at which hour you are going to wake up.
-Ultra fat and ultra thin sims.
-The new achievement system for your sims using points of desires. Better that in 2 I think.
-The telephone missions they send every now and then. Really fun and does the game less repetitive.
-From what I have seen with building houses, I like it a lot. Didnt play a lot in construction although I love that mode.
-In the furnitere mode is all very well classified.
-The sims pocket.
-The new traits system=fun gameplay. Much better than sims 1 and 2 trait bars.
-The MUSIC. Oh god, I love it this time. The sims and simcity have likeable music while you wer constructing or putting furniture (or making the city), for exmpale, i reall also like the music of this games, but this one have a Danny Elfman feeling, with girl chorus nearly everywhere. Reminds me of the music neighbourhood of Deserate Houswifes (that was done by Elfman).

Good/Bad:
-The making a Sim mode. Some tweaking things for the face I like it better in the Sims 2, others from 3 are better. The painting tool by numbers and choose colour is wonderfull. The painting hair tool also. But what the fuck with the face. I can no longer make that the forehead gets small with out doing a horrible face. You cant move the whole face (with also chin) so the forehead goes smaller and not stupid like in 2, the chin satys in the same position doing a long stupid face. Really bad because I have not a big forehead and I was trying to make me yesterday.

Bad:
-Atrocious basic hair, atrocious basic furniture, atrocius basic jobs. The hair is just simply ridicolous, not even a good hair for boys. The jobs... only 5? (I think, theres only five, but maybe theres more). Basic Sims 1 and 2 had a lot of more content than this. Fucking expansions.
-Its seems the censor is greater than in sims 2. I think its because of using this time transparent water effects.
-The ugly cloth 3D models. For example, if a remeber corectly, in Sims 2 a skirt or the bed sheets was like a layer, like it would look in real life. This time it seems like a 3D mesh and the parts that are behind (the ones you supposly cant see) fuck up the textures.

And nothing more I think.

Some questions although:
-Can you build new neighborhoods? Is there only one neighborhood?
-When my character is in the newspaper job (3rd level I think), he has to do interviews to other sims and visit things in the village to do reviews. I have done like 3 or 4 interviews and have done also the review of one movie and the job bar for that things hasn't move (its always in medium). However if I write and be happy the job bars for that move. What I am doing wrong?

Thanks for the future help.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Revolutionary said:
Because there's no rush to play it.
It's the Sims. I know how it plays, and I know I'll get addicted once I do.

Plus, I have plenty on my plate at the moment (including the Uncharted 2 beta). lol
I can wait.

I guess my question is, what is the advantage of getting it on Steam.

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Some questions although:
-Can you build new neighborhoods? Is there only one neighborhood?
-When my character is in the newspaper job (3rd level I think), he has to do interviews to other sims and visit things in the village to do reviews. I have done like 3 or 4 interviews and have done also the review of one movie and the job bar for that things hasn't move (its always in medium). However if I write and be happy the job bars for that move. What I am doing wrong?

Thanks for the future help.

1 - Do you mean one town? There's empty lots all over town, but when you first play the game it limits your options. Otherwise I think they're expecting you to rerun the same town with different characters, I haven't run the sim out long enough to have everyone die but from what I've played it seems that the towns will all face a severe aging population problem. Maybe they've got that sorted out. I'm not sure. Aside from that, if you did mean one town, there is a second free downloadable town. I'm sure they're planning to microtransaction out the rest.

2 - I think it's dependant on the little indicator face next to each of the things, and your relationship with your boss. So at that point in journalism good mood and good skills together are worth more than good stories and interviews alone. I was writing novels at home and keeping happy and I shot up the journalism career path to begin with. Also that interview skill is helpful in discovering the other sims traits.

Just to keep blabbering on about this game, the trait system they've put in this game really evolves the whole thing. It further allows you to personally modulate the diffculty. If you want a harder (funnier) game, dump your sim with some horrible traits. If you want it really easy give them all the best traits and sail through life.

When I first booted the thing up a little over a day ago all I could think was: isn't this the same as Sims 2? But a day, and a lot of playtime later, I really think they've managed to further the franchise really well. I just wish that the goals and traits allowed the player to direct the non player controlled sims a little more predictably.

edit:
Stormwatch said:
I can't get my Sim to be romantic with anyone past a hug. Do I need to skill anything up to make that happen?

If your sim doesn't like them enough it won't happen.I had a workmate that I had befriended (completely passively on my part by choosing the hang out with workmates option in the drop down menu you get): I invited them over once, and by the end of the night they were living in the same house as my sim. It doesn't take much once you've befriended them well, but if there isn't a friendship there it won't happen and you won't get all the options.

The friend meter was filled all the way up to the top and they were listed as being "old friends". Is there a point where you hit the "friend barrier" and can't be romantic because you are too much of a friend?

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
chicken_ramen said:
If your sim doesn't like them enough it won't happen.I had a workmate that I had befriended (completely passively on my part by choosing the hang out with workmates option in the drop down menu you get): I invited them over once, and by the end of the night they were living in the same house as my sim. It doesn't take much once you've befriended them well, but if there isn't a friendship there it won't happen and you won't get all the options.
If you can get them to sit down on a couch with you it makes it easier to get more intense romantic shit as well.

chicken_ramen said:
1 - Do you mean one town? There's empty lots all over town, but when you first play the game it limits your options. Otherwise I think they're expecting you to rerun the same town with different characters, I haven't run the sim out long enough to have everyone die but from what I've played it seems that the towns will all face a severe aging population problem. Maybe they've got that sorted out. I'm not sure. Aside from that, if you did mean one town, there is a second free downloadable town. I'm sure they're planning to microtransaction out the rest.

2 - I think it's dependant on the little indicator face next to each of the things, and your relationship with your boss. So at that point in journalism good mood and good skills together are worth more than good stories and interviews alone. I was writing novels at home and keeping happy and I shot up the journalism career path to begin with. Also that interview skill is helpful in discovering the other sims traits.

Just to keep blabbering on about this game, the trait system they've put in this game really evolves the whole thing. It further allows you to personally modulate the diffculty. If you want a harder (funnier) game, dump your sim with some horrible traits. If you want it really easy give them all the best traits and sail through life.

1 - What a pity, I wanted to create a new town :(
2 - I was stupid. When you did an interview you had to write the interview in your computer XD

BigAT

BigAT said:
Does anyone know if it's possible to add a new Sim to an already existing household or, alternatively, to create a new house with previously created Sims and a new Sim? I've been trying to figure it out for a while now and have been unsuccessful.

Has anyone figured out how to accomplish this yet?

Slacker

Regarding the Steam questions:

Why do people want it on Steam?

Because then the DVD doesn't need to be in the drive to launch the game, and it's right there with all the person's other games, and if the person wants to reinstall the game in a year or two, it's easy. I buy everything on Steam given the choice.

When's it coming to Steam?

I haven't see anything at all suggesting that it ever will. I'd say it's at least remotely possible because EA has released a few of their recent games there (like Spore), but the fact that it's on two other unrelated digital distribution services (Gamersgate and D2D) and not on Steam is troubling.

In other words, it's possible that it'll hit Steam eventually, but I wouldn't count on it. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Edit, BigAT...

Does anyone know if it's possible to add a new Sim to an already existing household or, alternatively, to create a new house with previously created Sims and a new Sim? I've been trying to figure it out for a while now and have been unsuccessful.
I haven't seen it happen in the new game yet, but I vaguely recall an interaction in The Sims 2 that let your sim ask another to move in. I'll try to make it happen and see if it's still there (or if I dreamed it up all together). ;)

Stormwatch said:
The friend meter was filled all the way up to the top and they were listed as being "old friends". Is there a point where you hit the "friend barrier" and can't be romantic because you are too much of a friend?

I found that if you switch from romantic actions to funny/friendly ones and back again, it seems to "reset" their romantic interest level. If you just sort of keep doing romantic shit, they eventually will go (at least if they are interested) from "thinks ____ is being flirty" to "thinks ____ is being alluring" to another one after that, and those seem to unlock new options.

Once you hook up, it seems a faster process to re-hook up.

Ferrio

Banned
platypotamus said:
I found that if you switch from romantic actions to funny/friendly ones and back again, it seems to "reset" their romantic interest level. If you just sort of keep doing romantic shit, they eventually will go (at least if they are interested) from "thinks ____ is being flirty" to "thinks ____ is being alluring" to another one after that, and those seem to unlock new options..

^Should be posted in a girl-age topic.

Zinthar

I wish it was on Steam too, but I wasn't even aware of Gamersgate. It seems like the disadvantages of Gamersgate compared to Steam are slower DL speeds (a one time issue) and the inability to auto-patch games the way that Steam does (not a problem for the Sims 3 since the EA downloader will handle this).

So I'm going to just download it from Gamersgate. I love having everything digital (and easily re-downloadable with no DVD/CD installation hassle when I inevitably reload my OS). The only 2 PC games that I own boxed copies of now are KOTOR and KOTOR 2 (not available on any download service, as far as I'm aware). I own another 25 or so via Steam.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
To those who are wondering how to add household members to pre-existing families, simply go to EDIT TOWN mode, select a household, and pick MERGE.

BigAT

Ookami-kun said:
To those who are wondering how to add household members to pre-existing families, simply go to EDIT TOWN mode, select a household, and pick MERGE.

Thanks, it was driving me mad trying to figure that out.

Darklord

Banned
I'm pretty disappointed at the really limited customizing you can do to your Sim. Even hairstyles there are only like 10 or something and none of them that good. I also find it weird that the clothes have a shiny look to them making them look plastic rather than cloth.

Also no rock station seems odd too. Not that I really care I'll probably just use my own music(how do I add music in anyway?).

I am wondering something though. Is there anyway to import textures or images? What I mean is for example instead of having a picture of a pear or something, I have a picture of an image I pick on the wall.

Retro

Darklord said:
I'm pretty disappointed at the really limited customizing you can do to your Sim. Even hairstyles there are only like 10 or something and none of them that good.

Yeah, the lack of hair styles was quite noticeable; the Sims 2 had at least double what's there, maybe even triple (can't remember and I don't have the game anymore). Pretty strong evidence that EA intentionally gimped the game at launch in order to make more money on downloadable content. Luckily, hair styles will likely be some of the first custom content people start making when the tools are up and running (see http://www.thesimsresource.com/workshop for updates on the project).

Darklord said:
I also find it weird that the clothes have a shiny look to them making them look plastic rather than cloth.

I've noticed the same with walls. Probably just a graphics issue, nobody thought to put in different levels of refraction. Something we'll just have to live with, I guess.

Darklord said:
Also no rock station seems odd too. Not that I really care I'll probably just use my own music(how do I add music in anyway?).

According to the manual, you can add custom music to the game by adding music files to the "Custom Music" folder under "Electronic Arts / The Sims 3 / Custom Music". That music can then be played on the radio.

Darklord said:
I am wondering something though. Is there anyway to import textures or images? What I mean is for example instead of having a picture of a pear or something, I have a picture of an image I pick on the wall.

See the link above; as far as I know that's going to be the only way to import data into the game without actually hacking it in. I'm with you though, I can't wait to start bringing in custom pictures; I like having Movie Posters in my entertainment room / man cave, De Stijl in my minimalist themed houses, etc.

Top Bottom