• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sims 3 |OT|

So I clicked on a link to some article on the Sims 3 website from an older post in this thread and got a 404 page with this awesome image:

404_img_ver796193.gif

http://www.thesims3.com/view/pages/newsItem.jsp?item=-608201177

Darklord

Banned
How do I use Sims I downloaded? I got a few to try them out and installed them but I haven't seen them in town and I can't pick them as a family to use.

proposition said:
I tried to download something from the Sims store (free points!) but it's not working properly as far as I can tell :(

I've gotten error messages on some items that I've attempted to install, both from the store and the exchange. Haven't figured out why yet either.

me Jojo

romanhouse1.png

romanhouse2.png

romanhouse3.png

Been working on it since I got home a few hours ago. :D

Anyone else annoyed by the fact plants and bushes have no shadow?

Retro

Very nice work, Jojo. I haven't sat down and built a house yet; far too busy tinkering with the tools to try and test their limits before I get started. VERY slick though, you should upload that to the exchange.

Zzoram

How good is the auto-detect graphics in this game? You'd think the more mainstream the game, the more important the graphics auto-detect would be, since casuals wouldn't bother to adjust the settings for optimal performance.

Dead Man

me Jojo said:
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/9794/romanhouse1.png[img]
[img]http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/3435/romanhouse2.png[img]
[img]http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/8158/romanhouse3.png[img]

Been working on it since I got home a few hours ago. :D

Anyone else annoyed by the fact plants and bushes have no shadow?[/QUOTE]
Nice work man.

Darklord

Banned
Zzoram said:
How good is the auto-detect graphics in this game? You'd think the more mainstream the game, the more important the graphics auto-detect would be, since casuals wouldn't bother to adjust the settings for optimal performance.

Pretty crap. I think it just has 1 default setting because it stuck my powerful pc on medium with no AA and at 1024x768(I use 1080p).

Zzoram said:

Not great at all. I have to adjust to get rid of the jaggies everytime I start the game.

I'm loving all the new personality traits. I made a couple, Richard and Angela. Richard is a bookworm who dreams of writing a novel. I made Angela to be a money grubbing snob. My goal was to have Richard be the poor downtrodden husband with a mean wife who gets to cheat on her with the hot computerwiz girl, Sarah. Then I made Ivan the badass Russian cook who was going to come in between Richard and Sarah and have Richard finally man up, dump his wife, and be the hero of the story.

So far it's playing out that Angela the money hungry snob, she's my favorite character. She started off as a housewife studying cooking because she had nothing else to do. Now she's a great cook making a lot more money than Richard who's turned into a cheating loser who's failing at his political career and only makes small change writing shitty sci-fi stories. Angela can also fix things around the house and she's raising their aweful child.

VelvetMouth said:
Not great at all. I have to adjust to get rid of the jaggies everytime I start the game.

I'm loving all the new personality traits. I made a couple, Richard and Angela. Richard is a bookworm who dreams of writing a novel. I made Angela to be a money grubbing snob. My goal was to have Richard be the poor downtrodden husband with a mean wife who gets to cheat on her with the hot computerwiz girl, Sarah. Then I made Ivan the badass Russian cook who was going to come in between Richard and Sarah and have Richard finally man up, dump his wife, and be the hero of the story.

So far it's playing out that Angela the money hungry snob, she's my favorite character. She started off as a housewife studying cooking because she had nothing else to do. Now she's a great cook making a lot more money than Richard who's turned into a cheating loser who's failing at his political career and only makes small change writing shitty sci-fi stories. Angela can also fix things around the house and she's raising their aweful child.

Use Catalyst Control center to setup a GPU profile for the game. You should be able to force 4xMSAA independant of the ingame settings.

MGrant said:
I put 8 people in my first house. Last time I do that.

Yeah, I ended up with six as a result of over-breeding, and then moving in another adult to help with all the offspring. It was... hectic with 3 toddler/babies.

Nice Lot Jojo, is it a community lot? Grand Central Palace or something? Or does that belong to someone. Looks well outside my family's price range...

Kabouter

platypotamus said:
Looks well outside my family's price range...
Probably built with cheats. But of course several generations of top writers will easily get you enough money for stuff like that :p. Hell, might even do it in one on epic lifespan.

syllogism

Kabouter said:
Probably built with cheats. But of course several generations of top writers will easily get you enough money for stuff like that :p. Hell, might even do it in one on epic lifespan.
You can easily make 150+k a week with just one sim by writing

Gravijah

It took me way too long to realize that you can play concerts at the stadium instead of the club place. And I was starting to wonder why the hell the music career sucked. :lol

Retro

Here's a few shots of my work in progress; a monochromatic modern.

2qdohoz.jpg

The roofs in that shot don't look too great, not sure if I am going to keep them (unlikely), build a room out over them (likely) or carry the roof architecture down a level (very likely). I may also see what kind of roof options I have, maybe they just look like crap because that's the roof type I used.

sgmnvl.jpg

An interior shot, hovering over the atrium. Not sure I will keep the couches there, as it's an atrium and stone furniture might look better. Assuming I keep furniture up there at all; I may just blow up the stairs leading up to the platform, shorten the raised section a bit, and have couches facing the front door (at top) and the decorative pillar (big black rectangle, you can't see the room but inside there is a large mirror as decoration).

You can also see the loft area, with the fireplace (fireplaces are, so far, terrible in this game; fuck chimneys.) You can also see the pool and a little landscaping around it. Will post more photos as it evolves, but I think I'm done for the night.

~Kinggi~

Banned
This game is so much better than the other sims games. The fact that the whole town is open to do what you want is awesome. Makes things seem a little less pointless. I actually feel like i can explore areas and find something. Also the character creation stuff is really sweet. Im interested to see what the expansions will bring. Seems like they cherry picked a bunch of things from the other games for this one. Like you can go to school or go to the theater or hang out at the beach.

I was never really able to get into the other games but hopefully this is the one i can commit to.

I got everything maxed out on my 3.4 ghz quad core and 4870x2 and it has been pretty smooth, with hiccups when i start scrolling through the town, which is annoying.

Sleeker

Does anyone else feel that you age too quickly?

I have just become President and I'm already half way up the elder bar.

laserbeam

Banned
Sleeker said:

Sounds pretty accurate :p but yes you can prolong the aging process by alot or stop it all togeather

Aponi

Awesome work. I can't make myself spend that long working on one house, I get bored and just say "enh, I'll do it later."

me Jojo said:
Anyone else annoyed by the fact plants and bushes have no shadow?

What annoys me more is that the plants will stick branches through my walls if they're too close. Also, is there a way to control whether you get the S/M/L version of bushes?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It's been like that since 1, sadly.

Also, there are stuff like Life Fruit which reduces your current age bar.

Dead Man

Retro said:
Here's a few shots of my work in progress; a monochromatic modern.

http://i44.tinypic.com/2qdohoz.jpg[IMG]

The roofs in that shot don't look too great, not sure if I am going to keep them (unlikely), build a room out over them (likely) or carry the roof architecture down a level (very likely). I may also see what kind of roof options I have, maybe they just look like crap because that's the roof type I used.

[IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/sgmnvl.jpg[IMG]
An interior shot, hovering over the atrium. Not sure I will keep the couches there, as it's an atrium and stone furniture might look better. Assuming I keep furniture up there at all; I may just blow up the stairs leading up to the platform, shorten the raised section a bit, and have couches facing the front door (at top) and the decorative pillar (big black rectangle, you can't see the room but inside there is a large mirror as decoration).

You can also see the loft area, with the fireplace (fireplaces are, so far, terrible in this game; fuck chimneys.) You can also see the pool and a little landscaping around it. Will post more photos as it evolves, but I think I'm done for the night.[/QUOTE]
Also really nice.

Antagon

Sleeker said:

Tell me about it. My sim just changed into an adult, marries a chick and she changes into an elder the same day. Poor guy :lol

Supposedly theres a cheat to change the age of a sim, but I can't get it to work.

larvi

Anyone playing on an older system can comment on how it runs? One of my friend's just got it for their kids and can't install it on their system and have asked me if I can upgrade to make it work. I've got the system sitting here and it's an older Pentium D 805 system with 512Mb ram and integrated radeon x200 video (but it has a pci-e x16 slot). Checking Newegg for about $100 I can upgrade them with the following:

1Gb DDR400 ram
Radeon 4650 (only has a crap 300w ps but I think this should still work)
DVD burner (they only have a CDR right now)

So when all is said and done they will have a Pentium Dual core 2.67ghz, 1.5Gb ram and a radeon 4650 512mb DDR2 card. Will Sims3 run ok for them? I don't want to have them spend money on my recommendation and have it be unplayable.

syllogism

It would probably run "ok" on low to medium settings, but this game definitely isn't worth the upgrades as they won't really help you play much else

larvi

Thanks, yeah, if it were mine system I would probably just build a new one. But for them the alternative would be to buy a new one which would be about $500 or so. They are trying to get another year or 2 our of this one. The memory and DVD burner should come in handy for other stuff as well so I don't see those as wasted. I could also go a bit cheaper with a ATI 4350 or 4550 but was concerned about the performance on those.

Gravijah said:
It took me way too long to realize that you can play concerts at the stadium instead of the club place. And I was starting to wonder why the hell the music career sucked. :lol
Wow. :lol
I wish I knew that earlier. My rock star sim is about to die in the next day or two from old age.

MGrant

After I died, my evil-traited daughter started chatting with the Grim Reaper. Can you become best friends with him? Because that is amazing.

Sleeker

Damn, My guy just died.

I was desperately trying to conceive a child with every woman that came over but no luck,
So now I got a house with an urn sitting in the bedroom.

I'll have to change the aging thing

Mau ®

I have a MacBook Air which actually is the bare minimum to play this game on OSX. Do you think it will run fine enough? i heard the mac version is slightly better...

Im leaving for a...vacation and im allowed to bring a game so i guess this should be it.

Hootie

me Jojo said:
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/9794/romanhouse1.png[img]
[img]http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/3435/romanhouse2.png[img]
[img]http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/8158/romanhouse3.png[img]

Been working on it since I got home a few hours ago. :D[/QUOTE]

Caesar would be proud. :lol

ltse1

Sleeker said:
Damn, My guy just died.

I was desperately trying to conceive a child with every woman that came over but no luck,

How do you change aging? Does aging solely count on your sim blowing out birthday cake candles?

MGrant

Sleeker said:
Damn, My guy just died.

I finally had twins about 2 days before I became an elder. I died, too, though, and left my two teenage daughters alone at the house. They're doing fine for themselves, though.

Kabouter

MGrant said:
I finally had twins about 2 days before I became an elder. I died, too, though, and left my two teenage daughters alone at the house. They're doing fine for themselves, though.
Really? Teenagers can live alone? That's pretty cool. Though I guess it makes sense, teenagers can make a fuckton as writers and can do almost anything on their own.

Shawsie64

Banned
VelvetMouth said:

:lol

fuck man, I cant wait to get this game after that

Top Bottom