• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sims 4 |OT| Behold its true form and despair!

jgwhiteus

I don't really understand that kind of logic for a game like The Sims.

Eh, I've logged literally hundreds of hours into the series, but with the Sims you definitely reach a point where you say, "Okay, now what?" Usually after you've played enough in the sandbox and reached the top of a career, or you realize the content's getting repetitive. That's why they release expansions in the first place (to create new forms of gameplay), and why there needs to be enough content in the base game... or that's when you start turning to mods.

EDIT: I'll also say that it's a concern for any sequel, especially one that appears to return to Sims 2-style gameplay. Like, what if you reach a point where you say, "Okay, I put my time in; how is this experience different from all that time I put into the previous games? I'm still going through the same daily routines, disappearing for work for a couple of hours a day, etc." The Sims 3 changed that style of gameplay from the Sims 2, but if you've already played the previous entries it's possible this could feel like more of the same base gameplay.

Sandfox

You really don't understand the concept of running out of new things to do in a Sims game and that a lack of content can quicken this feeling?

Eh, I've logged literally hundreds of hours into the series, but with the Sims you definitely reach a point where you say, "Okay, now what?" Usually after you've played enough in the sandbox and reached the top of a career, or you realize the content's getting repetitive. That's why they release expansions in the first place (to create new forms of gameplay), and why there needs to be enough content in the base game... or that's when you start turning to mods.

EDIT: I'll also say that it's a concern for any sequel, especially one that appears to return to Sims 2-style gameplay. Like, what if you reach a point where you say, "Okay, I put my time in; how is this experience different from all that time I put into the previous games? I'm still going through the same daily routines, disappearing for work for a couple of hours a day, etc." The Sims 3 changed that style of gameplay from the Sims 2, but if you've already played the previous entries it's possible this could feel like more of the same base gameplay.

I read the post wrong lol.

Almighty

Well I am glad the game seems to be getting positive impressions, but I will wait a few weeks to see if the positive impressions last before I decided to buy or not. Let that new game shine wear off and all that.

Delio

I feel like I cant really go back on what I said about not buying it lol. But that's good that the engine is vastly improved and from playthrus im watching it seems interesting.

Spl1nter

I think it is important to note that the game is not as easy as the snoozefest to top skills/career/aspirations that is sims 3. There is quite a bit more game to those elements.

JoeBoy101

I think it is important to note that the game is not as easy as the snoozefest to top skills/career/aspirations that is sims 3. There is quite a bit more game to those elements.

Yeah, this. Money and aspiration awards are not easy to come by. Building relationships is still somewhat easy, but not AS easy as Sims 3. Plus, they seem to decay a bit faster and its easy to tear one apart with negative interactions. I've been working hard as a chef and am only about to get to Level 3 and am halfway through Young Adult. The goals you have to get to advance make it more difficult than filling a bar (which is included), but not as irritating as Sims 2 where there is the friend requirement.

The emotions do come out in interesting little ways. For example: when flirty, my sim does a hip bump on the punching bag when box, or when he was angry and took an angry shit (poop).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
One thing I have noticed is that the mexican version on origin is 34.99 while the US version is 59.99

Bought the mexican version because that's the store it pointed me out to, could have used a US card but didn't want to transfer to that account. Used the local card and went thru no problem.

For 35 bucks it's not that bad. Now, I need to check if I downloaded the english version. Would suck if I got the one in spanish :(

Hah, did this end up working for English?

I know people did this for Titanfall and it seemed to work fine, so I'm curious. My sister wants this and that'd certainly be a lot easier to bite on.

Complistic

Yeah, anyone going out and buying the game based on first day opinions are setting themselves up for disappointment.

Wait a solid week for things to settle.

Juice

Yeah, anyone going out and buying the game based on first day opinions are setting themselves up for disappointment.

Wait a solid week for things to settle.

I bought Sims 1, 2, and 3 on launch day.

Not this one. Fool me four times, etc. waiting for the first couple packs

Partition

Banned
Sims 3, to me, did not feel like it was barren with content from the start. Create A Style, for example, really allowed you to get the most out of the base furniture.

I only played the base Sims 3, never bought an expansion, and never really felt like there were glaring omissions. Tons of things to do.

I don't care if Sims 4 is snappier or whatever. Because they removed as many things as they did, that were present in the Sims 3 base game (and even Sims 2), I cannot bring myself to support this game. Especially considering I would have had no intention in buying expansions, for at least the near future. I'm not paying $60 + $40 or however much those countless expansions cost, for content that has no reason to not be in the base game.

The fact they removed two life stages was enough for me to disregard this game completely. But family trees, pools, less base content, smaller lots too? No brainer, it's a no buy. 2 steps forward and about 10 steps back.

Edit: Well no Mac version is rather laughable and further seals the deal.

A friend of mine just gifted me this game. He had pre-ordered it for himself on Origin and then his girlfriend surprised him with a retail copy. He could have returned the physical copy or taken the Origin refund but instead he gave the key to me, which is pretty cool. It's still a preload for me though so I can't play it for another couple of days.

Buzzbrad

A friend of mine just gifted me this game. He had pre-ordered it for himself on Origin and then his girlfriend surprised him with a retail copy. He could have returned the physical copy or taken the Origin refund but instead he gave the key to me, which is pretty cool. It's still a preload for me though so I can't play it for another couple of days.

You can use a VPN. It isn't against Origins rules either.

RP912

Banned
So I tried it out and it's ok. It's not as bad as I thought it would be but at the same time it's not good. It feels more of a dating simulator with rpg aspects than a sims game with life aspects.

IcyEyes

So I tried it out and it's ok. It's not as bad as I thought it would be but at the same time it's not good. It feels more of a dating simulator with rpg aspects than a sims game with life aspects.

To me, this sounds incredibly bad ...

Partition

Banned
So is this game actually not bad or is it just not as bad as we were expecting?

I would really love a great new Sims game.

Depends what you value in the series. If you like playing as your Sim, interacting with other Sims the most, then the game will be an upgrade. If you value the creation aspect of the series, then the game is probably a major downgrade. Overall things like game smoothness and load times are improved though.

trinest

I think it's going to be like Simcity. What's there is fun but at the same time what's there isn't much.

Not really like Sim City then.

Sim City was riddled with problems outside its feature list, it was bloated, always online and the engine they built for moving packets which they bitched about was a failure at launch and took ages to be patched to be working properly and logically.

The Sims sounds like its only down fall is features and even then it has the feel of a basic Sims 2 version.

Not really like Sim City then.

Sim City was riddled with problems outside its feature list, it was bloated, always online and the engine they built for moving packets which they bitched about was a failure at launch and took ages to be patched to be working properly and logically.

The Sims sounds like its only down fall is features and even then it has the feel of a basic Sims 2 version.

For all it's flaws, I actually enjoyed the core gameplay of Simcity. Of course this was after the online system had stabilized and the simulation had been fixed a bit. My biggest problem was that no matter how efficient I was, I'd fill in a city within a few hours. And then I was done. I couldn't get into the multicity thing so I dropped the game.

I reckon this game will be similar. From impressions it sounds like what they've put in is fun but it comes at the expense of depth in the game.

Laieon

For all it's flaws, I actually enjoyed the core gameplay of Simcity. Of course this was after the online system had stabilized and the simulation had been fixed a bit. My biggest problem was that no matter how efficient I was, I'd fill in a city within a few hours. And then I was done. I couldn't get into the multicity thing so I dropped the game.

That was my situation as well. I legitimately enjoyed the game for a good 30-40 hours.

I'm considering picking this up, I don't necessarily mind if it's more Sims 1/2 and less Sims 3.

Sandfox

Well I caved and picked the game up lol. As I've said in other threads, I actually never really liked a few of the things they removed and this sounds more appealing to me outside of missing careers, no pools, and no toddlers, so I should have have much problem. Also, I like how the towns are smaller, but still populated this time around.

Awwww... He is doing the pee pee dance

TBcb.png

Wait.... what the?

VBcb.png

DedValve

Banned
I've gotta say though, the artstyle looks fantastic.

I'll just wait till it gets far more expansions and is on a heavy sale before I buy though, TS3 will last me a good long time now that I got all expansions.

unbias

Ya, watching the TB stream, just to see how different it seems, and it still looks of quality. The game has such a mass appeal that I hesitate to want to destroy the game, and the game looks pretty good. Hopefully it doesnt take advantage of the consumer in a way the consumer cant realize.

Otherwise I hope it does well, because this game does a lot of good in terms of getting people into gaming.

elelunicy

To be honest the whole lack of content thing is more like a perception than an actual fact. This game easily has the most content out of all four base games.

For example, in build/buy mode the Sims 4 pretty much doubled the number of unique objects in every category compared to the Sims 3 base game.

Object count for some items

Showers & Tubs: 7 (TS3); 18 (TS4)
Wall lamps: 7; 18
Computers : 3; 9
TVs: 5; 9
Desks: 5; 11
Bookshelves: 9; 16
Windows: 26; 57
Indoor plants: 19; 44
Dressers: 6; 12
Rugs: 12; 42

Shosai

Banned
To be honest the whole lack of content thing is more like a perception than an actual fact. This game easily has the most content out of all four base games.

For example, in build/buy mode the Sims 4 pretty much doubled the number of unique objects in every category compared to the Sims 3 base game.

Good to know! Still considering whether to buy this for my niece within the next month

jgwhiteus

I think that's a fair point, but are you counting re-colors? Like, with Create-A-Style in TS3 you could almost make an infinite number of color / texture permutations of any base object; since TS4 seems to go back to the "Maxis recolors only" model of the Sims 2, you kind of need more copies and styles of objects (windows, computers, etc.) to try to make up for the lack of customization since Create-A-Style is gone.

Dug up some crystal rock in a backyard and got a box, opened the box and out popped a figurine which I can place and click on to "Enable Emotional Aura". What's that aura do? I can't really tell much of a difference.

Tabby

Dug up some crystal rock in a backyard and got a box, opened the box and out popped a figurine which I can place and click on to "Enable Emotional Aura". What's that aura do? I can't really tell much of a difference.

It's supposed to alter your mood.

Juice

I think that's a fair point, but are you counting re-colors? Like, with Create-A-Style in TS3 you could almost make an infinite number of color / texture permutations of any base object; since TS4 seems to go back to the "Maxis recolors only" model of the Sims 2, you kind of need more copies and styles of objects (windows, computers, etc.) to try to make up for the lack of customization since Create-A-Style is gone.

I played the shit out of TS1-3 and I never ever touched create a style. Seemed hokey and dumb. The fact that most of the complaining about TS4 is about create-a-style actually makes me feel better about the game being OK.

The huge performance hit TS3 took with the towns makes me feel okay about the lots too.

Huh

Sandfox

I played the shit out of TS1-3 and I never ever touched create a style. Seemed hokey and dumb. The fact that most of the complaining about TS4 is about create-a-style actually makes me feel better about the game being OK.

The huge performance hit TS3 took with the towns makes me feel okay about the lots too.

Huh

I honestly didn't even know create a style was a thing until it was removed lol.

Bought it, and having fun but uh... Sims are vanishing. I made a 2 sim household of me and my brother and all of our friends magically fell off the face of the game. The babies still exist though.

Partition

Banned

Can you do a count without recolors? Because recoloring and texturing was available with infinite possibilities (for free) in TS3.

jgwhiteus

Huh

I think the Sims appeals to a lot of different player types who play it for different reasons. And it's true some players just aren't going to care about style and customization options... but at the same time, are those players likely to care how many item style options there are in buy / build mode in the first place (which is what the poster was counting)?

I don't know, from the comments / reactions I've been reading, there's a pretty significant portion of the userbase (mostly female, but male as well) that liked the building and interior decorating aspect of the previous entries, making customized or matching furniture and item sets and wallpapers, etc., and they've been a bit... frustrated... with the return to the TS2 recolor system.

Which is fine if that's not part of the appeal of the game to you (like, I don't personally care about the lack of storyboard progression since I liked TS2's individual, manual control of all families), but it's something to consider for people comparing the game to previous entries.

Rainmaker

Banned
Okay... I just gave in. Was going to buy Diablo 3 for PS4 and somehow ended up with this. I'm such a damn stupid pushover.

Ibuki

Banned
I just got done playing for about 4 hours after work. So far I'm loving the game. Everything is really easy to do and my sims actually listen to my commands surprisingly quick. I moved my sim in with 3 others to try it out in a pre built house. It got really hectic worrying about the needs of 4 sims at a time. I decided to move two of them across the street. Is there a way to choose if you want a sim to control themselves? Or do they have to be out of your area?

red731

Hey guys, anyone playing? This thread is dead :(

Am currently watching Boogie's twitch stream and am having fun again, like yesterdays Lirik's stream.

red731

I'll be after I get home from work. I played all the evening yesterday, installed the game on an SSD so the loading times are barely noticeable. I like it.

Just from top of your head - do you know the amount of space it takes? I might throw it on SSD too. (10gb according to specs I saw?) Ty, man.

Top Bottom