• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sims 4 |OT| Behold its true form and despair!

Sims 4 is totally different. From launch to game play is like ~30 seconds. Loading a new world or changing areas is ~10ish seconds. Saving is ~4. Tremendous leap over the previous game.

If I had to give up open world for fast loading that I have now, well so be it. I gladly take it.

Thats what I've come to feel also. Also the sims are more expressive. I'm going to have to take my lumps and say my concerns about Sims 4 were completely unfounded.

Looks like a prison...

What's with the triangle rooms?

It's the Lady Gaga of houses. I'm looking forward to the challenge of furnishing it with all the dead space I can't use.

Looking at how small I had to make my house to actually be able to put something in it, I think your ingame finances are probably going to be an issue (unless you cheat, obviously) here :p.

For cash though, writing is still awesome. I have aging turned off and royalties seem to be infinite length now rather than six weeks like in the Sims 3 (and daily rather than weekly). I'm clearing something like $3k a day now :p.

Yeah, I was wondering this myself. I'm a sims vet so I know it's a real problem early in the game, so, I usually do what you do: build small and expand later. Decided to try and go about things in a different light for a new experience. That said, I'm half expecting to have to quarantine some of those rooms until I have the funds to finish them.

Good morning,

can't wait for work to be over so I can micromanage my mfer.

I feel you, today is going to feel like an eternity. My sim hasn't even moved yet!

My girlfriend and I have spent the last couple months trashing this after each piece of bad news came out. Each time we were dad because we both love The Sims and wanted a new, good base game. But we were fine trashing this one for what seemed like a lackluster effort.

My girlfriend just bought it on Origin. All the good reviews here and elsewhere changed our minds. I'll probably be trying it out this weekend.

My girlfriend and I have spent the last couple months trashing this after each piece of bad news came out. Each time we were dad because we both love The Sims and wanted a new, good base game. But we were fine trashing this one for what seemed like a lackluster effort.

My girlfriend just bought it on Origin. All the good reviews here and elsewhere changed our minds. I'll probably be trying it out this weekend.

don't get me wrong, it's fun at first, but as you go along you realise more and more is missing.. :( more than you think.

Even when a sim is at work, you can't check their needs, relationship status, etc.. why?

Linkark07

Banned
You monsters. I should get out of this thread fast before I jump and buy the game.

Luckily, Mexican Origin store is default for me :)

don't get me wrong, it's fun at first, but as you go along you realise more and more is missing.. :( more than you think.

Even when a sim is at work, you can't check their needs, relationship status, etc.. why?

That's what I'm afraid of. That the game is good for a couple hours but then dies off once you explore lots of content. But then, in an age of 6 hour single-player campaigns, if I can get more than 20 hours out of this, I'll be happy. And in sure I'm much more likely to get 100.

Can someone clear two things up for me, though? One of the things that has mentioned as I removed is "Story Progression." What exactly is meant by that?

Also, I keep reading about people not liking the jobs in this game. What is different from the Sims 3 with regards to jobs?

Bittercup

Also, I keep reading about people not liking the jobs in this game. What is different from the Sims 3 with regards to jobs?
Some of the more traditional jobs like law enforcement, medicine, business that were present in the previous Sims are missing while there are jobs like esports gamer and space ranger instead.
Many like to play there Sims als ordinary people with normal jobs.
I hope this is something that can improved with mods.

Can someone clear two things up for me, though? One of the things that has mentioned as I removed is "Story Progression." What exactly is meant by that?

Story progression means all the uncontrolled Sims in the town having lives of their own off-screen, meaning their relationships change, they switch jobs, they have children, they die etc. This feature wasn't perfect in Sims 3 (it often lead to very weird emergent situations) but the unpredictability was part of the charm. In Sims 4, the uncontrolled Sims only age but are static otherwise.

As for jobs, it appears that Maxis went in a different direction, only offering options for 'wacky' off-killter career paths (Space Ranger/Oracle etc.) and ditching some of the more grounded career tracks such as law-enforcement or medical. business etc. This gives the game a more consistent tone but some of us really liked to play the more mundane/'realistic' aspects.

Necrovex

a-HA! A convert! Glad you are enjoying it..

At this point, I am obligated to commit seppuku.

Story progression means all the uncontrolled Sims in the town having lives of their own off-screen, meaning their relationships change, they switch jobs, they have children, they die etc. This feature wasn't perfect in Sims 3 (it often lead to very weird emergent situations) but the unpredictability was part of the charm. In Sims 4, the uncontrolled Sims only age but are static otherwise.

I'm hoping EA will release an expansion which will address this and continue to allow the Sim 4 engine to be stable, fast, and efficient.

Thanks for the answers guys. I can understand the change to story progressions something being lost when the open world was lost, but it it still a bummer. I'm not a fan of crazy jobs, either. One or two careers that ended in silly things was alright, but I'm definitely in the camp that prefers normal jobs. I know that career mods were very popular in the past, though, so I'm sure someone will fix that.

Is there any word on how easy modding will be this time around?

Necrovex

Thanks for the answers guys. I can understand the change to story progressions something being lost when the open world was lost, but it it still a bummer. I'm not a fan of crazy jobs, either. One or two careers that ended in silly things was alright, but I'm definitely in the camp that prefers normal jobs. I know that career mods were very popular in the past, though, so I'm sure someone will fix that.

From what I read, The Sims 4 sounds like the easiest game in the series to mod. EA built the engine to allow it. So the job situation will probably be fixed within a few months.

I am actually a big fan of the zany jobs, though they really shouldn't have taken out the normal jobs. But hey, I can recreate my fantasy of Space Brothers with the ability to become an astronaut now!

This might be the first one that I get into. Also...

sInHqfB.png

This image is so fucking hilarious to me XD

JoeBoy101

I'm actually impressed with the initial modding options. All the game files are unencrypted to make them easier to mod. That's huge, plus there's selections in the options to disable/enable script mods, and to list all the mods you have on startup, and categorize them between non-script and script mods. Further that, the gallery (which is user uploaded lots, rooms, and sims right now) is really nice. All in game, easy to tag, favorite, download, search, etc. Am a big fan of the styled rooms and what some people have done with them right now.

The game definitely has issues, but the mod support look stellar right now. Already got one new dress in there from ModTheSims.

Pilgrimzero

Stayed up way to late playing this. Thanks Mexico!

My first Sims are Scott Pilgrim, Ramona Flowers, and Wallace Wells all in one house.

Sadly Wallace and Scott would not sleep in the same bed so I had to buy 2 singles instead.

While I was trying to get Scott and Ramona hooked up, Wallace was actually the first one to get a kiss. From some guy named Travis Scott. Sounds about right for Wallace.

And while Scott hasn't had to fight any Ex's for Ramona's affection they did have a slight bump when Ramona walked in on Scott peeing and she got embarrassed and hid under the covers in her bed.

fader

meh, bought it after seeing many people here bought it. Already send it a request for refund 3 hours after playing it. Not really a lot to do... I do enjoy the interface and the graphics but though.

boltz

Holy crap I come back to this thread and see a total 180 change in feeling towards this game. Still with all of the expansion packs that EA is inevitably going to release, I don't see a point in picking it up anytime soon. But it's good to hear positive impressions now.

Necrovex

Holy crap I come back to this thread and see a total 180 change in feeling towards this game. Still with all of the expansion packs that EA is inevitably going to release, I don't see a point in picking it up anytime soon. But it's good to hear positive impressions now.

I still need more time with this game, but it has a solid chance of becoming my Surprise of the Year rather than my Disappointment of the Year.

JoeBoy101

Stayed up way to late playing this. Thanks Mexico!

My first Sims are Scott Pilgrim, Ramona Flowers, and Wallace Wells all in one house.

Sadly Wallace and Scott would not sleep in the same bed so I had to buy 2 singles instead.

While I was trying to get Scott and Ramona hooked up, Wallace was actually the first one to get a kiss. From some guy named Travis Scott. Sounds about right for Wallace.

And while Scott hasn't had to fight any Ex's for Ramona's affection they did have a slight bump when Ramona walked in on Scott peeing and she got embarrassed and hid under the covers in her bed.

You know you can add the Ex's as Townies and not move them into any lots. They'll still show up in game though for extra... awkwardness.

fader said:
meh, bought it after seeing many people here bought it. Already send it a request for refund 3 hours after playing it. Not really a lot to do... I do enjoy the interface and the graphics but though.

With the right expansions, and the base game they have right now, this could easily eclipse TS3. Definitely respect waiting to see what happens though.

Kouriozan

Download and install Hola Better Internet. After visiting origin.com press the icon of the plugin on the top right of your browser and switch to Mexico. Add the game to your cart and proceed to checkout. When it asks you to login with your Origin account, turn off the VPN, login and buy the game with the Mexican price

Thank you it worked.
Getting the game for 26€ is so great~

Pilgrimzero

You know you can add the Ex's as Townies and not move them into any lots. They'll still show up in game though for extra... awkwardness.

With the right expansions, and the base game they have right now, this could easily eclipse TS3. Definitely respect waiting to see what happens though.

Really? I didn't notice that option. That at character gen? I will check it out.

Also another question: How do I change the size of objects, like for a larger wall hanging etc?

Nimby

Banned
I may consider buying this game if Create-a-Style is brought back. Whatever improvements have been made to Create a Sim and Build Mode have been completely negated by the lack of this feature.

The base of the game is quite good. The interactions and smoothness of playing is the best of the series. But it is a base game, so it's limited. I miss the open world. That was a really great addition, but I understand how it was a hamper to game performance and loading times always stink. I just hope that additional expansions don't significantly increase loading times. But I like the fact that it is truly one fully connected world now. Neighborhoods are truly connected now.

I do like the look of Sims 3 over this. 4 is more cartoony, which I can see some preferring, but I'm not so sure yet. The Create a Sim is far improved, but for whatever reason I was able to create myself and my wife better in Sims 3.

If you've never played a Sims before I would recommend the game. You won't really know what your missing and there should be some great expansions that fill out the experience. If you felt the Sims 3 was getting stale, there is enough new about the core game that this should make this a fresh experience, too.

CzarTim

I still need more time with this game, but it has a solid chance of becoming my Surprise of the Year rather than my Disappointment of the Year.

Pretty much this. Once you accept the game for what it is and not what it should be, it's honestly pretty fun. I've probably put in close to 15 hours so far and I'm still enjoying it.

From what I read, The Sims 4 sounds like the easiest game in the series to mod. EA built the engine to allow it. So the job situation will probably be fixed within a few months.

I am actually a big fan of the zany jobs, though they really shouldn't have taken out the normal jobs. But hey, I can recreate my fantasy of Space Brothers with the ability to become an astronaut now!

I'm actually impressed with the initial modding options. All the game files are unencrypted to make them easier to mod. That's huge, plus there's selections in the options to disable/enable script mods, and to list all the mods you have on startup, and categorize them between non-script and script mods. Further that, the gallery (which is user uploaded lots, rooms, and sims right now) is really nice. All in game, easy to tag, favorite, download, search, etc. Am a big fan of the styled rooms and what some people have done with them right now.

The game definitely has issues, but the mod support look stellar right now. Already got one new dress in there from ModTheSims.

Oh, wow. You had my curiosity, now you have my attention. Modding was the single biggest reason I played TS2 as obsessively as I did. If this Modding scene is one tenth as robust, I expect great thing. Can I still get the cheap Mexican version? :p

JoeBoy101

Really? I didn't notice that option. That at character gen? I will check it out.

Also another question: How do I change the size of objects, like for a larger wall hanging etc?

Go to the Main Menu, and right by the big play button is the Create New Household button. Click that and create who you need. Hell, create one big Ex family. Then just leave them in the tray and not move them into anywhere. You don't click the checkmark which is 'Play' but the folder at the top right which is 'Save Household'. Households listed as 'Not Currently in World' still show up in the game, they just don't have any place to live.

To edit already in game townies, go to your options menu from in game, then click on 'Manage Worlds'. From there, there is an icon called 'Household Management' where you can see all the households 'Not Currently in World'. You can't edit genetics, but you can change clothes, hair, delete, and add Sims.

For size changes, I THINK its Ctrl+] when you're holding an object. Be careful, as I don't think it has an upper limits.

OH, for the thread: When moving a window, art piece, what have you on the wall, hold down ALT for precise, non grid placement. It doesn't work on x-axis or y-axis sadly (horizontals on walls), but does work on z-axis (height).

Pilgrimzero

Go to the Main Menu, and right by the big play button is the Create New Household button. Click that and create who you need. Hell, create one big Ex family. Then just leave them in the tray and not move them into anywhere. You don't click the checkmark which is 'Play' but the folder at the top right which is 'Save Household'. Households listed as 'Not Currently in World' still show up in the game, they just don't have any place to live.

To edit already in game townies, go to your options menu from in game, then click on 'Manage Worlds'. From there, there is an icon called 'Household Management' where you can see all the households 'Not Currently in World'. You can't edit genetics, but you can change clothes, hair, delete, and add Sims.

For size changes, I THINK its Ctrl+] when you're holding an object. Be careful, as I don't think it has an upper limits.

OH, for the thread: When moving a window, art piece, what have you on the wall, hold down ALT for precise, non grid placement. It doesn't work on x-axis or y-axis sadly (horizontals on walls), but does work on z-axis (height).

Awesome thanks! I'll try that tonight.

One last question: I skipped this in the tutorial accidently but, how do I send my sims or more than 1) to say the park or to a bar?

McNum

Awesome thanks! I'll try that tonight.

One last question: I skipped this in the tutorial accidently but, how do I send my sims or more than 1) to say the park or to a bar?
Use the phone, pick "Travel with..." You'll get a dialog asking you to pick what Sims to travel with.

Also, while you're there, you can summon the off-lot Sims of your household there via the portraits in the bottom of the screen.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Minor interest in this, though I'm unsure how it would run on my system. I meet the minimum requirements, but would like to know tweaking options. Can anyone post the contents of the configuration file?

Adzin

Neo Member
Anyone know if there is an option on Origin to upgrade a Limited Edition license to a Digital Deluxe license?

to whoever was complaining earlier about the game being all pixelated except for the menus - that's because you pirated the game and that's the feature they put in.

JoeBoy101

I don't want my sims to age, where is the setting to change that? (I'm at work right now so can't fiddle with the menus)

Check Game Options for the aging options and go to the Gameplay options. Now, I'm not SURE that its prevents them from aging, but there is an option for Auto Age, and then whether that covers played sims, just the active household, and unplayed sims as well. Tooltip says they if turned off, your Sims won't age up. I read that as meaning your aging bar will increase, but you won't leave your current age group unless you take an appropriate action with your Sim.

Mistah said:
Fuzzy Screen

What options do you have on that? Is the resolution correct? Laptop mode accidentally on?

Rosti said:
Minor interest in this, though I'm unsure how it would run on my system. I meet the minimum requirements, but would like to know tweaking options. Can anyone post the contents of the configuration file?

Tweaking options as are expected from previous Sims, but this one runs way better than 3.

As to what I have going:

LightingQuality 4
GeneralReflections 3
ObjectQuality 3
VisualEffects 3
PostProcessing 1
UseUncompressedTextures 1
TerrainQuality 3
EdgeSmoothing 3
SimQuality 4
ViewDistance 3
AdvancedRendering 1
VerticalSync 1
ResolutionWidth 1680
ResolutionHeight 1050
ResolutionRefresh 59
SceneResolution 3
VisualQuality 5
FullScreen 1

That is at ultra, everything maxed, and uncompressed textures. I haven't had one slowdown or blip, regardless of number of sims on screen or in lot. My computer which is solid, is not cutting edge either:

CPU: GenuineIntel
Brand: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz
Memory: 8172MB
Name (driver): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570
Texture memory: 1232MB

Seems very scalable to me.

Top Bottom