• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sims 4 |OT| Behold its true form and despair!

So as someone who has never played a sims game before I'm guessing I will probably enjoy this quite a lot, can't miss things if I have never seen them before in the first place!

Aaron D.

I still can't get over how good the presentation is in this game. Leaning into a more cartoonish art style coupled with the exaggerated emote gestures gives the whole game a killer Pixar vibe.

I've got a good (not great) laptop and I'm running everything on Ultra without a single hitch. Simply amazing performance.

And to think I almost passed due to all the pre-release hateraid.

~Kinggi~

Banned
You can probably have just as much fun if not moreso by snagging the Sims 3 with all the expansions when it goes cheap. I mean the game doesnt even look that different from the 3rd one. No way im investing into this knowing the shit dlc and premium plans that are in store.

JoeBoy101

Oh so sweet. My sims computer broke, and when it did...

Blue Screen of Death. Oh, that's a nice touch.

Aaron D. said:
I still can't get over how good the presentation is in this game. Leaning into a more cartoonish art style coupled with the exaggerated emote gestures gives the whole game a killer Pixar vibe.

I've got a good (not great) laptop and I'm running everything on Ultra without a single hitch. Simply amazing performance.

And to think I almost passed due to all the pre-release hateraid.

Now in the Hateraid's defense, and my own as I partook of it, there are significant cuts of features, and some of them really do hurt the game. What I didn't expect was how polished and well designed the remainder would be. When you see the list of cut features, it speaks to a hurried mess of a game (see Dragon Age 2) where even good ideas have poor execution. In this case, there was a relative drought of new ideas to offset the feature removal. I just didn't expect the relatively brilliant execution of the existing ideas.

Some of the features should come back in, but I will say this: they should try to keep the same smooth play of the engine, even with the extra expansions. Anything that harms the performance needs to be optimized, delayed, or cut, because that is one of the bright shining stars of this game.

Necrovex

I played two and a half hours tonight without realizing it. Dear God. I'm fucked. DanganRonpa 2 and Ace Attorney Vs. Professor Layton. I'm sorry!

I cannot fathom roofs in this game. I'm trying to put one on my oddly shaped house and the different pieces and angles just clip through each other. It looks horrendous, is there some sort of blend tool I'm not noticing or something, or did you guys mostly just slap one big roof on top of your homes?

CzarTim

I cannot fathom roofs in this game. I'm trying to put one on my oddly shaped house and the different pieces and angles just clip through each other. It looks horrendous, is there some sort of blend tool I'm not noticing or something, or did you guys mostly just slap one big roof on top of your homes?

I'm struggling with this as well.

I'm so glad this turned out well, what a nice surprise after all the initial negativity. I guess they learned some things after Sim City.

I made my female Sim try for a baby with her boyfriend and made him move in once the (demon) baby was born. Things have gotten chaotic ever since.
I played for almost 5 hours. I'm being dragged back into addiction.

Isn't there just an auto-roof option? May not look that great but it's something.

Aaron D.

Now in the Hateraid's defense, and my own as I partook of it, there are significant cuts of features, and some of them really do hurt the game. What I didn't expect was how polished and well designed the remainder would be.

That's fair.

I guess I'm just approaching the game with fresh eyes and evaluating it on its own terms. This is in spite of owning all three previous titles. In this sense, the game is pretty baller.

It's kind of like my experience with the transition from System Shock 2 to BioShock. There was a ton of RPG content pulled from SS2 leading into BioShock, but I still think both games are best in class when taken on their own merits.

Not excusing the cuts in Sims 4, or diminishing other's disappointment with them. Just offering up my initial impressions and attitude going in. I know I don't represent everyman/woman.

To be honest, it's kind of a refreshing attitude to take on after all the negativity swirling around the release. I mean, people have the right to feel however they want, and I totally respect that. But man, it's kind of fatiguing reading all of the ire from those lambasting the game for what it isn't vs. what it actually is.

Not suggesting that those sour to the game should budge an inch. I'm just greatful that I'm able to enjoy it without such a negative dialogue loop.

DarkFlow

Banned
I'm having fun with it. I'm not much of a sims player, but I've owned them all and this is more fun for me since it cuts out a lot of micromanagement it seems like. I still don't know how to keep my sim from getting fat, He works out all the time, and he's still a lard ass.

Juice

Loving the game so far. Whatever's missing is not apparent to me after a few hours, but the refinements to basic functionality are immediately obvious

Rainmaker

Banned
This is probably a dumb question but is there a way to change a sim's traits? I downloaded some from the gallery but I don't like the traits they set for this particular group of people.

EDIT: Nevermind. Got it to finally work using this.

I think there's a kind of bug with the Writer Aspiration.

There's a criteria that says to write 3 hour straight while being inspired, but it's not working for me. I think it's because I finish writing books in 2 hours, and even if I queue a second book right away, it's not counting.

Anyone have this problem?

Edit: Ugh, nevermind. Apparently practicing counts as well even though the description says to write a book. Fuck!

Indiedevs

Banned
I thought he was going to trash it to hell but it turns out reasonable. I agree with what he's saying especially the fact that EA treats The Sims 3 like it doesn't exist which is unfortunate. I love that game.

He didn't talk much about the missing stuff. As a huge fan of Sims 3, I thought he would dislike it more.

red731

Anybody here able to tell me the origin download size? Searched Google without luck.

Yeah. Around 9gb and stuff. Try to search for tags - sims 4 requirements. Google has everything, just search for tags and not sentences.

I am at work, I wan't to be off work, off from Friday socialization and at night I'mma make grand dosh from selling paintings!

I need to re-do the furniture and all the house jazz again.
I never though this KIND of game will catch me by the balls. Amazing.

Zareka

The emotions in this game sure make things, uh...interesting.
09-05-14_9-13am53jbl.png

kvothe

Missing things that have "bothered" me so far:
-No dishwashers? Every single dish needs to be cleaned in a sink, as far as I'm aware.
-No carpool to pick up Sim for work. They just walk to the sidewalk and disappear.
-No doctor career.
-No scientist career.
-No repairman. This one especially sucks since stuff breaks all the time.
Yeah, they easily offer up a "replace for X simoleans" button, but.. it's just not the same.
-Not able to assign a bed to a specific person. Again, as far as I know.

Things they've added that I don't particularly like so far:
-A lot of negative emotions can be eliminated by talking to oneself in a mirror. As a result, I've had to buy a lot more mirrors than I would've before and I'm already tiring of regularly sending Sims to talk to themselves.
-Embarrassment. Maybe my Sims are particularly bashful, but they seem to be getting embarrassed rather often. Embarrassment leads to Sims feeling tense, which can lead to them snapping at people and turn social encounters into a downward spiral.

Things that (I think) they've added that I enjoy:
-The ability to apologize immediately after accidentally offending someone. They also have a "recover" action when hitting on someone goes awry.
-Multitasking.
-"Stretching" and moving entire rooms.
-Ability to turn off aging without cheats.
I'm 50% sure this was in Sims 3.
-Social outings seem easier. Yes, I know this seems contradictory to the fact that there is no longer an open-world.You tell a Sim to go to a location, a list pops up of all the people this Sim knows and you checkmark the ones you want to come with and they all automatically do.
I never made all my Sims go out to the bar together in previous games, but did so in this game easily. Maybe I just didn't play Sims 3 enough.

That's all I can think of for now. I'm enjoying the game, although I have been irked by some of the missing things.

Zareka

Not being able to lock doors is annoying me, too. One of my sims has a small bedroom so having the family of 4 pile in because of the TV (of which there is one in the livingroom :p) can get really bothersome.

JoeBoy101

-No dishwashers? Every single dish needs to be cleaned in a sink, as far as I'm aware.
-No carpool to pick up Sim for work. They just walk to the sidewalk and disappear.
-No doctor career.
-No scientist career.
-No repairman. This one especially sucks since stuff breaks all the time.
Yeah, they easily offer up a "replace for X simoleans" button, but.. it's just not the same.
-Not able to assign a bed to a specific person. Again, as far as I know.

Things they've added that I don't particularly like so far:
-A lot of negative emotions can be eliminated by talking to oneself in a mirror. As a result, I've had to buy a lot more mirrors than I would've before and I'm already tiring of regularly sending Sims to talk to themselves.
-Embarrassment. Maybe my Sims are particularly bashful, but they seem to be getting embarrassed rather often. Embarrassment leads to Sims feeling tense, which can lead to them snapping at people and turn social encounters into a downward spiral.

Things that (I think) they've added that I enjoy:
-The ability to apologize immediately after accidentally offending someone. They also have a "recover" action when hitting on someone goes awry.
-Multitasking.
-"Stretching" and moving entire rooms.
-Ability to turn off aging without cheats.
I'm 50% sure this was in Sims 3.
-Social outings seem easier. Yes, I know this seems contradictory to the fact that there is no longer an open-world.You tell a Sim to go to a location, a list pops up of all the people this Sim knows and you checkmark the ones you want to come with and they all automatically do.
I never made all my Sims go out to the bar together in previous games, but did so in this game easily. Maybe I just didn't play Sims 3 enough.

That's all I can think of for now. I'm enjoying the game, although I have been irked by some of the missing things.

In response to some of it:

- TS3 patched in turning off aging, but it wasn't there from the start. That said, the patched in functionality for TS3 was a bit better in that you could define the length of each life stage.
- The carpool thing I agree with. I understand no rabbit holes, but at least have a car come pick you up.
- The lack of normal careers bites my ass too.
- No repairman sucks, but I will say you will want to improve your handiness. There are nice upgrades for objects, and you can apply multiple upgrades to each item. My shower breaks less, cleans faster, and gives a positive moodlet.
- Dishwashers is a silly omission, but at least it makes having the neat trait or speedy cleaner reward more useful.
-On the negative emotions, I don't bother getting rid of them, I just overpower them with environmental ones from career rewards and items found in the world. For my comedian, the study is loaded down with playful stuff, and for the chef, the kitchen is full of inspirational items. Plus, you get an extra moodlet of the corresponding item if you view the art piece.
- TS3 had apologies too. Kinda annoyed at a bug because my Aspiration is asking me to apologize to an angry sim, but my Charisma level gives me Smooth Apology and the game is not accepting that as fulfilling the reward it seems.
- Another thing that annoys me is that if you invite a sim to visit, even if you tell them goodbye, if you don't ask to leave, they hang around, even if you go to work. Freeloaders.

DarkFlow

Banned
- Another thing that annoys me is that if you invite a sim to visit, even if you tell them goodbye, if you don't ask to leave, they hang around, even if you go to work. Freeloaders.
Yeah, I would have people come over and immediately use my observatory till they broke it. I had to sell it to stop them from staying forever.

exmoor

Neo Member
Funny thing is even with all the bad press it gets, my gf (which is I think part of the main target audience for sims 4) enjoys it a lot. I asked her how she feels about all the missing features and got as a respond "Don't care - gameplay is fluid, and I the new emotion based gameplay is gorgeous". I watched her play for 4 Hours yesterday - I still don't get why she loves it so much but maybe the "hardcore" game(r) (journalist) is not the right person to understand and review such a game :)

Tabby

Not being able to lock doors is annoying me, too. One of my sims has a small bedroom so having the family of 4 pile in because of the TV (of which there is one in the livingroom :p) can get really bothersome.
You can change where they eat by queuing up another seat.
You know that right?

Kouriozan

How is it running on older machines?

I can run The Sims 3 on at least high settings (whatever's next to the highest), but the loading times are insane.

My mother has a crappy laptop that can hardly run the Sims 3 even in the lowest setting.
Sims 4 at low run nearly at 60FPS, I'd say about 45.

deeTyrant

So the general positive vibes following release now convinced me to check out the game.

Played a few hours and really wasn't expecting emotions to be such a core gameplay thing, I hadn't been following information on the game too much but Emotion regulation seems to be the name of the game more so than core need regulation.

I love how an embarrassed sim will awkwardly fail at conversation while two sims that are feeling flirty will see enormous success in their romantic interactions.

I like multi-tasking a lot, makes doing menial stuff a lot easier. Sometimes it can be a little extreme. I told my sim to use the toilet after his shower and then grab the tablet and play some games... so he got out of the shower, ran across the house, grabbed the tablet and ran back to use the toilet... defeating the point of saving any time. But besides that one comical flub the multitasking has been really solid.

Mr_Zombie

I watched her play for 4 Hours yesterday - I still don't get why she loves it so much but maybe the "hardcore" game(r) (journalist) is not the right person to understand and review such a game :)

I don't think this is the case of hardcore gamer vs casual gamer (unless by "hardcore" you mean gamers who just have to kill enemies in their games, otherwise think the game isfor kids). As a lot other games, The Sims series have their specific target: people who like designing, furnishing and decorating houses; people who enjoy creating characters and making up stories; people who simply enjoy playing virtual doll houses etc.

There are a lot of so called "hardcore" gamers who spent literally hundreds hours playing the series.

exmoor

Neo Member
I don't think this is the case of hardcore gamer vs casual gamer (unless by "hardcore" you mean gamers who just have to kill enemies in their games, otherwise think the game isfor kids). As a lot other games, The Sims series have their specific target: people who like designing, furnishing and decorating houses; people who enjoy creating characters and making up stories; people who simply enjoy playing virtual doll houses etc.

There are a lot of so called "hardcore" gamers who spent literally hundreds hours playing the series.

Yeah you are absolutly right what I meant is that after seeing my gf playing Sims 4 and enjoying the hell out of it, i don't think all the whining about the missing features or the bad press vibes have any impact on the sucess of the series. Don't get me wrong - all I wanted to say is many "hardcore" gamer, as I named them poorly, are focusing too much on the "not that much of an evolution against sims 3" thing. :)

Top Bottom