• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Social Network [OT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJTB

Finally got around to watching this over the weekend.

I loved it, easily my 2nd favorite movie this year.

Yaweee

Flying_Phoenix said:
So in short, Severin wasn't doing shit and Zukerberg fucked him over purposely knowing that Severin would rage quit from the project?

I don't think it was to force a rage quit. It was more writing him out of the company in any meaningful fashion with full knowledge that they'd determine a price tag later through a lawsuit.

In actuality, he wasn't really the sole financial contributor early on. Zuckerberg's parents had to take out loans to support it when Severin failed to get investors.

OrangeGrayBlue said:
I don't really see the sexism. Erica Albright is the most badass character in the entire film. "You called me a bitch... on the internet."

Truthfully the film made me feel dirty to be a guy, if anything.

People can't tell the difference between misogynistic characters and a misogynistic film.

Dipindots said:
Finally got around to watching this over the weekend.

I loved it, easily my 2nd favorite movie this year.

Yep mine too.

Scott Pilgrim will forever be #1 though. :D

Korey said:
Legal question:

The Winklevoss twins only had a case against Zuckerberg because he agreed to work for them and then stole their idea right?

If Zuckerberg never agreed to work with the twins, but copied the idea anyway after hearing it, would they still have a case against him?

This is what confuses me. I don't really see him as stealing the project, but more so taking their idea and expanding it far further. I mean their original idea was just a simple styled myspace for the elite, while Zuckerberg took it much further.

I mean don't get me wrong he did wrong, but I'm not sure if it was complete theft.

Maybe somebody can fill me in here.

Yaweee said:
I don't think it was to force a rage quit. It was more writing him out of the company in any meaningful fashion with full knowledge that they'd determine a price tag later through a lawsuit.

In actuality, he wasn't really the sole financial contributor early on. Zuckerberg's parents had to take out loans to support it when Severin failed to get investors.

So the film adaptation isn't fully accurate?

From reading some of the facts in this thread, Zuckerberg seems less and less like an asshole, and more so of a typical nerd who grabbed an opportunity and ran with it.

RSTEIN said:
Saw this. Amazing. My jaw was on the floor with the soundtrack. I just couldn't believe how daring the soundtrack was... like holy fuck that was quite the experiment that could have really backfired.

The story is good but lots of it made up which detracted from my enjoyment a bit.

How was the soundtrack all that? I liked the soundtrack... but I didn't see any sort of daring experiment that could have backfired.

Beaulieu said:
:lol are you for real ?

I was asking how accurate the adaptation is but yet that except was meant to be a joke.

Or to be more descriptive:

Flying_Phoenix said:
So the film adaptation isn't fully accurate?

No, meant as a joke (I even commented that the film itself was aware that it over-exaggerated and changed information in my review from the "Movies you have seen recently" thread), but I do wonder how accurate the film is.

Flying_Phoenix said:
From reading some of the facts in this thread, Zuckerberg seems less and less like an asshole, and more so of a typical nerd who grabbed an opportunity and ran with it.

Yes.

Darko

favorite movie of the year so far, even though it was 2hours i wish it was longer :lol

Expendable. said:
just looked, joined 5/8/2006 while I was still in my senior year of HS but when I got my college e-mail for that fall.

had mine since 22/02/2006 :D

Buckethead said:
Yeah wasn't this originally like 3 hours?

I wanna see the Finchery final cut.

No, the script was originally something like 180 pages, but they speed at which the actors speak Sorkin's dialogue condensed a lot of that, or so the story goes.

Flying_Phoenix said:
No, meant as a joke (I even commented that the film itself was aware that it over-exaggerated and changed information in my review from the "Movies you have seen recently" thread), but I do wonder how accurate the film is.

Answered my own question.

Seems that Fitcher essentially just looked at the legal documents and (like 99% of true even films) exaggerated or even inserted everything else.

jaxword

Flying_Phoenix said:
This is what confuses me. I don't really see him as stealing the project, but more so taking their idea and expanding it far further. I mean their original idea was just a simple styled myspace for the elite, while Zuckerberg took it much further.

I mean don't get me wrong he did wrong, but I'm not sure if it was complete theft.

Maybe somebody can fill me in here.

I think, at that level of Big Money and lawyers, the facts no longer really matter so much as how your team portrays them.

This isn't really the first film or story that had the idea that justice is for sale.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Saw it tonight, awesome movie. The way the score fit so well - particularly during the first 30 mins or so - was incredible.

Solo said:
I didn't say it wasn't deserving of a nomination. It is and it will probably get one with 10 nominees. I was just saying that there a contingent of people who are already awarding it Best Picture. When its only early October and Ive already seen 4-5 better movies (Ghost Writer, Toy Story 3, etc.), I have to call foul on the claims that this is a shoe-in for BP. Not to mention that Aronofsky, the Coens and Boyle all have absolutely dynamite-looking films still to come, and there are always darkhorses that pop up. TSN will definitely get a nom, and Inception has pretty darn good chances too, but I don't think either will be your winner.
Predicting Best Picture winners is like trying to predict which member of Duran Duran will die first. It's useless, and who the fuck cares anyway?

TSN is easily one of the best 3 movies I've seen all year, and yes, from a strictly structural and professionnal moviemaking point of view, it shits all over that overblown mess that Inception was. It's true that Ghost Writer might be a better movie (Toy Story 3 was great too, but let's not get overexcited), but in the end, TSN is a more important movie than just about anything that got out this year. Since you had an enormous bias against it from the get-go, I can't really take your opinion that seriously.

And, as an enormous Coen fan, I'm excited by a new movie, but it's a remake of an old Western, so I doubt it will get any kind of recognition. Aronofsky usually annoys me to no end, and PLEASE, PLEASE don't mention Danny Boyle again. I absolutely love your taste in movies usually, but the sheer mention of Danny Boyle in a discussion about potentially great movies angers me.

Edit : I like some of Aronofsky's movies, but he's overrated.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
OrangeGrayBlue said:
How was the soundtrack all that? I liked the soundtrack... but I didn't see any sort of daring experiment that could have backfired.

Hey, I've got this idea. I'm going make a movie about Facebook.
Booooorrrring
And I'm going to have Trent Reznor do the soundtrack.
WTF??????????

I mean, the whole thing just doesn't make sense. Yet I left the theater in complete awe. The soundtrack was brilliant. Like, who had the vision to see how powerful that very specific and very Reznorish stuff would be? Amazing.

deadbeef

Trent Reznor makes great atmospheric music. To be honest I'm surprised it took this long for him to take on a project like this. I know he did a little bit of work for Lost Highway, but it was nothing like this.

Hopefully he can keep doing this kind of stuff, because he did a great job with it.

Ollie Pooch

deadbeef said:
Trent Reznor makes great atmospheric music. To be honest I'm surprised it took this long for him to take on a project like this. I know he did a little bit of work for Lost Highway, but it was nothing like this.

Hopefully he can keep doing this kind of stuff, because he did a great job with it.
I always thought that scoring movies was a natural progression for his stuff.

The shot
in slow motion down the aisle of the bus with all the girls (hardly spoilerish but you never know...)
as "In Motion" started was just crazy. That whole sequence was one of my favourites in the whole movie.

Speevy

Banned
I thought it was good, but I wasn't blown away. *shrug*

Can definitely see why people are impressed by it, though.

deadbeef

julls said:
I always thought that scoring movies was a natural progression for his stuff.

The shot
in slow motion down the aisle of the bus with all the girls (hardly spoilerish but you never know...)
as "In Motion" started was just crazy. That whole sequence was one of my favourites in the whole movie.

Agree. I've been listening to NIN for so long, that it's not always on a regular rotation in my mp3 player so I go long periods without listening to it, and when I do finally hear anything by Trent Reznor, it's like I forgot how good he is. I'm now sucked back in. Been listening to the soundtrack and Ghosts I-IV the last few days.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Seeing this sometime this week. I haven't been hyped for a film this much, since Inception...

And yes, I was only messing about with that whole ranting thing I had going on a few pages back.
The soundtrack is..dare I say...
Social Network for OST of the year. Even beats Inception.

SpacLock

Veidt said:
Seeing this sometime this week. I haven't been hyped for a film this much, since Inception...

And yes, I was only messing about with that whole ranting thing I had going on a few pages back.
The soundtrack is..dare I say...
Social Network for OST of the year. Even beats Inception.

It makes Inception's soundtrack sound like shit.

Veidt

CJ, that's your blog?
Damn, I'm liking what I'm seeing there man.

Veidt

Film was pretty good. Hope Fincher turns his gaze to a more naturally intriguing subject matter, the next time.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
got tickets to see this for 11.50 tonight in Amsterdam since it finally decided to come to europe. Really looking forward to it!

Ollie Pooch

CajoleJuice said:
Is The Social Network even eligible for Original Score? Since at least that one track I posted is off an existing album.
It uses a section of the Ghosts track, but the piano bit at the end is new. Dunno if that counts - not sure what the rules are :lol

I'm sure I heard Ghosts 1 or 2 in the movie too.

(._.)

Banned
It is probably not going to get nominated for best score even though it may deserve it. I just have a feel.

shagg_187 said:
ciuWT.jpg
I started that page hahahaha.

Gigglepoo

I'm still not sure why this was made into a movie. It was entertaining enough, but there didn't seem to be much of a point. Neither the destination nor the journey were particularly impactful. Zuckerberg didn't evolve as a character at all and it's hard to get invested in the financial windfall of people you don't know, especially when everyone is going to end up rich. All of the pieces were fine (acting, pacing, music, etc), but I guess I wanted more than that. This was a good movie from a great director.

Seems I'm in the minority, though.

Gigglepoo said:
I'm still not sure why this was made into a movie. It was entertaining enough, but there didn't seem to be much of a point. Neither the destination nor the journey were particularly impactful. Zuckerberg didn't evolve as a character at all and it's hard to get invested in the financial windfall of people you don't know, especially when everyone is going to end up rich. All of the pieces were fine (acting, pacing, music, etc), but I guess I wanted more than that. This was a good movie from a great director.

Seems I'm in the minority, though.

That's a good point. Zukerberg's character barely even changed. At the start of the movie he was a snidy, assertive, cheeky, smartass nerd, and at the end of the movie he is a snidy, assertive, cheeky, smartass nerd. He didn't become any more or less assholish during the film, he just remained stagnant the whole time.

The only time he seemed to (slightly) change was at the very end when
he tries to make cool with his ex.

nib95

Banned
What an absolutely brilliant film! David Fincher somehow managed to transport me in to this gripping, complex and exclusive world, yet not once make me feel alienated. Loved it! Copious amounts of cyber flexing on offer mind!

Anyone else think Zuckerberg may have been responsible for the chicken story leak and the Parker party sting? If he was sly enough to rob the Winklevoss's out of their initial idea in the way he did, and his best friend of almost his entire share of the co-founded project, I think he's cunning and greedy enough to pull off any potentially profitable or power garnering stint!

nib95 said:
What an absolutely brilliant film! David Fincher somehow managed to transport me in to this gripping, complex and exclusive world, yet not once make me feel alienated. Loved it! Copious amounts of cyber flexing on offer mind!

Anyone else think Zuckerberg may have been responsible for the chicken story leak and the Parker party sting? If he was sly enough to rob the Winklevoss's out of their initial idea in the way he did, and his best friend of almost his entire share of the co-founded project, I think he's cunning and greedy enough to pull off any potentially profitable or power garnering stint!

It's totally possble, but I honestly don't think that he did in the way you mean, if he did do it, he was just lashing out because ultimately he was just a kid who reacted to any slight by taking revenge too far.

In the case of Eduardo he was just a little jealous of him getting punched. But I don't see how or why he would have done that to Parker, in Zuckerberg's mind, Parker was THE guy to take facebook to the next level

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Flying_Phoenix said:
Zukerberg's character barely even changed. At the start of the movie he was a snidy, assertive, cheeky, smartass nerd, and at the end of the movie he is a snidy, assertive, cheeky, smartass BILLIONAIRE nerd.

Fixed.

nib95 said:

In terms of film, I'm honestly not sure. I doubt that party sting because Parker was a great aide to him. With the leak well I'm not sure.

In terms of real-life, well much of the film is either insanely exaggerated or just flat out fiction. There really was no party sting and I'm not sure about the chicken thing but in reality Zukerberg didn't really give a damn about prestige frat houses. In reality the true story of facebook is about as boring as it sounds. From what I gathered this is what really happened: Zukerberg created fashmash because he was pissed that Harvard wasn't going to publish photos of the Freshman class then it took on a life of its own, he was then discovered by a frat and was assigned a project that he turned it into something completely different, preceded to code for years end, he met with Parker who convinced him to push the project further, Zukerberg and Saverin constantly argued with each other as Saverin was dragging his feet with the company which resulted in Zukerberg cutting him off from the company and waiting for the sue, Parker was on a Kiteboarding trip and got caught with coke (no crazy party) which resulted in him being embarrassed and resigning from his position, they go to court, everything in between was either coding or hanging with his girlfriend.

This is why I really wonder what really happened back then and what Zukerberg is really like.

McBacon said:

Ah! True.

nib95

Banned
WascallyWabbit said:
It's totally possble, but I honestly don't think that he did in the way you mean, if he did do it, he was just lashing out because ultimately he was just a kid who reacted to any slight by taking revenge too far.

In the case of Eduardo he was just a little jealous of him getting punched. But I don't see how or why he would have done that to Parker, in Zuckerberg's mind, Parker was THE guy to take facebook to the next level

Because he resented him for losing a good friend over it all? Who knows...

Oh and about Eduardo getting 5% of the company. That was only as of October 2010. My guess is it was a PR ploy of some sort to stem some of the negative publicity the film would garner. I wonder how much Eduardo initially received in the settlement.

Top 3 of the year right now:

1. The Social Network
2. The Ghost Writer
3. Scott Pilgrim

really really need to see Never Let Me Go. I heard it was fantastic. Don't really care about Boyle's lame ass film either, so the only potential threat to my list right now is Never Let Me Go and True Grit. Oh shit and probably Black Swan too, though I'm more hyped for the soundtrack than the actual film itself.

Veidt

Discotheque said:
Top 3 of the year right now:

1. The Social Network
2. The Ghost Writer
3. Scott Pilgrim

really really need to see Never Let Me Go. I heard it was fantastic. Don't really care about Boyle's lame ass film either, so the only potential threat to my list right now is Never Let Me Go and True Grit. Oh shit and probably Black Swan too, though I'm more hyped for the soundtrack than the actual film itself.

Definitely looking forward to Never Let Me Go, trailer is awesome. Although, I truly hope that they don't focus on the romance too much. There's a lot more to being human, and it would just be generic.

True Grit looks fuckawesome. I also heard they did some whitewashing, can't really say what i think of it yet. Jeff Bridges character looks great. But I think someone like QT could have done a better job with the concept; there probably won't be enough shooting, looting and whatever else cowboys do.
I also hope Black Swan is more the fountain, than The Wrestler.

My top 3 of the year:
1.Inception
2. Scott Pilgrim
3. Hit-Girl/Big Daddy

Honorable mentions:
The Social Network, if only for Fincher's directing and Score. He should pick a better subject matter the next time.

LOL Inception is interesting subject matter executed quite poorly. While Social Network is merely decent material executed extremely well.

And anyways, I don't get the complaints about this being boring subject matter. The lawsuit/story was rife with betrayal and backstabbing. Really cool stuff. And, besides going by that idea I'm sure stuff like 12 Angry Men is also shit because 'lol there was no blood or explosions, this sucks'

Discotheque said:
It's a terrible movie. The reason why I was kinda skeptical of Fincher's next project, but it looks like he's got it locked for this one. Don't think he'll ever top Zodiac though, it's his masterpiece.

I'm kinda late for this post, but really? It's a good movie. But Fight Club will always be his masterpiece.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom