• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Social Network [OT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solo

Dabanton said:
Remember when people on GAF laughed at the thought of 'The Facebook Film' beating "Movie of the forever" Inception at the oscars well that has become a reality. :lol

Neither are the best movie of the year, so who cares? Not now, and certainly not by Dec. 31 when Black Swan, 127 Hours, The King's Speech, etc. have all come.

And while I can separate my opinions from general consensus, I honestly don't think TSN is going to be hot shit at the Oscars like so many people seem to think.

Pinzer

Unconfirmed Member
Yea and Avatar, The Blind Side, District 9, and Up weren't best picture material either yet they were still nominated. The Social Network is a damn good movie. Sure maybe not the BEST (arguable) but it certainly deserves a nomination.

Korey

Legal question:

The Winklevoss twins only had a case against Zuckerberg because he agreed to work for them and then stole their idea right?

If Zuckerberg never agreed to work with the twins, but copied the idea anyway after hearing it, would they still have a case against him?

I just don't understand at what point can someone not take someone else's idea just from hearing it.

Solo

I didn't say it wasn't deserving of a nomination. It is and it will probably get one with 10 nominees. I was just saying that there a contingent of people who are already awarding it Best Picture. When its only early October and Ive already seen 4-5 better movies (Ghost Writer, Toy Story 3, etc.), I have to call foul on the claims that this is a shoe-in for BP. Not to mention that Aronofsky, the Coens and Boyle all have absolutely dynamite-looking films still to come, and there are always darkhorses that pop up. TSN will definitely get a nom, and Inception has pretty darn good chances too, but I don't think either will be your winner.

Korey said:
Legal question:

1. The Winklevoss twins only had a case against Zuckerberg because he agreed to work for them and then stole their idea right?

2. If Zuckerberg never agreed to work with the twins, but copied the idea anyway after hearing it, would they still have a case against him?

1. Yes
2. Depends

The only time they would never have a case against him if Mark was not in Harvard and make Facebook, or if Mark copied the idea before ConnectU released and didn't meet them in any way.

Pinzer

Unconfirmed Member
Solo said:
I didn't say it wasn't deserving of a nomination. It is and it will probably get one with 10 nominees. I was just saying that there a contingent of people who are already awarding it Best Picture. When its only early October and Ive already seen 4-5 better movies (Ghost Writer, Toy Story 3, etc.), I have to call foul on the claims that this is a shoe-in for BP. Not to mention that Aronofsky, the Coens and Boyle all have absolutely dynamite-looking films still to come, and there are always darkhorses that pop up. TSN will definitely get a nom, and Inception has pretty darn good chances too, but I don't think either will be your winner.

Fair enough.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Solo said:
I really think that this movie will probably only get nominated for best adapted screenplay and maybe best score (if enough of it is original. I remember TWBB got dicked cuz a lot of the score was based on other music.)

Maybe Fincher gets a directing nod... but I don't know. Why can't we just have a really cool movie that everyone likes without needing to legitimize it with Oscars?

Alucard

Banned
Saw the movie last night and enjoyed it immensely. The performances were great, the music was suitable, the camerawork was hypnotic, and the writing was so rapid fire that I felt I couldn't stop paying attention for a minute without missing something important.

9/10 film for me. Excellent, excellent stuff, and right alongside Scott Pilgrim for my personal favourite of the year.

does this movie benefit in any way from cinema viewing?

i havent felt compelled to see it despite all the praise.. thinking of just waiting for the dvd

Korey

shagg_187 said:
1. Yes
2. Depends

The only time they would never have a case against him if Mark was not in Harvard and make Facebook, or if Mark copied the idea before ConnectU released and didn't meet them in any way.
Why would Harvard have anything to do with it (student code of conduct aside, which isn't legally binding I don't think)?

I just don't get how hearing an idea from someone is a legally binding thing where you have to pay the person for the idea if you run with it.

Korey said:
Why would Harvard have anything to do with it (student code of conduct aside, which isn't legally binding I don't think)?

I just don't get how hearing an idea from someone is a legally binding thing where you have to pay the person for the idea if you run with it.

By Harvard I mean that they are both in the same university so they can stir up the case if they have really good lawyers saying that Mark stole the idea.

It's like us going to the same workplace, I come up with an idea of Facebook exclusive for that workplace and next thing you know you already created one before I could release one. Quite suspicious, isn't it?

It all seriously depends on how badass your lawyers are and how much you pay them.

Dabanton

brianjones said:
does this movie benefit in any way from cinema viewing?

i havent felt compelled to see it despite all the praise.. thinking of just waiting for the dvd

It concentrates the mind more as you will have less distractions.

It's a very,very talky movie.

Solo

whytemyke said:
I really think that this movie will probably only get nominated for best adapted screenplay and maybe best score (if enough of it is original. I remember TWBB got dicked cuz a lot of the score was based on other music.)

Maybe Fincher gets a directing nod... but I don't know. Why can't we just have a really cool movie that everyone likes without needing to legitimize it with Oscars?

I see 4 nominations and 2 wins. Noms for Best Picture and Best Director, and noms and wins for Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Original Score.

As to your second point: this is GAF, so not likely :lol

Blader

Solo said:

I can now confirm that 127 Hours is indeed dynamite.

Boogie

KHarvey16 said:
Went back into my old school email and found my confirmation message. Don't know if there's any way to do it through the site.

Ah. My emails concerning FB don't seem to go any further back than 2005. I know I was a very early adopter of the site at my school, so whenever FB expanded to the University of Toronto in Canada is probably close to the time that I joined.

Expendable. said:
I loved Inception, hell I even made the official thread. But did anyone seriously think it would be a strong Best Picture contender?
are you kidding me? you fellated Inception everday for like 6 months before it came out.

Solo said:
TSN will definitely get a nom, and Inception has pretty darn good chances too, but I don't think either will be your winner.
Agreed. I can see something like King's Speech winning this year. Black Swan is the best movie IMO but it won't win best pic.

Boogie

Well, I was able to hunt up some wall posts of one of the first groups I joined on facebook.

Looks like I must have had a join date of November 2004.

Old school, represent!

(._.)

Banned
Dabanton said:
Remember when people on GAF laughed at the thought of 'The Facebook Film' beating "Movie of the forever" Inception at the oscars well that has become a reality. :lol
Inception never stood a chance and I'm embarrassed for the people who though it did (winning).

Solo said:

I'd only put Ghost Writer above Social Network right now, and even then it might be a tie.

Toy Story and others were just not as good. And we all know Scott Pilgrim has no chance at being nominated for anything sadly, while inferior ass Inception will make a killing in the noms.

When all is said and done at the end of the year the race will be between Social Network and True Grit. And I personally think Social Network will be the best of the year.

I don't see Black Swan or True Grit being as good.

Oh and on a sidenote I can't freaking wait for The Way Back. Hell yeah Peter Weir and Colin Farrell.

exarkun

Saw the movie with the Gf.

Hmmm I have to saw its one of the best edited, cleanly shot, and well spoken movies I've seen in a very long time. It is very...well paced. No wasted scenes, no unnecessary talking, and Eisenberg completellllly became the zuckerburg character. Very impressed. Also was impressed with the guy who played zuckergurg's friend. Garfield? Good shit.

Also, Timberlake was good-ish. Did well with what he was given and sold me on the fakeness of Parker. Who knew?

All in all, just a very very well put together movie. Nothing stood out as amazing, but when put together its engrossing and a complete experience. Which I think is what can be only said about great movies.

Movie was good. Dunno if my sister thought it was. Made me question what the fuck I have been doing almost 4 years in college with my engineering degree. Definitely has motivated me to work harder, and actually keep a "thoughts" journal on a daily basis.

Imm0rt4l

I loved this movie, before going into it a friend told me that she found it to be a bit sexist though she liked it. I can definitely see what she meant. This is probably top 3 movie of the year for me at the moment.

Saw it over the weekend, brilliant film. Great everything. Extremely hard to criticize... just everything was so well done.

I don't see it winning Best Picture but it will obviously get a nom for it. I think it'll get one for Best Director as well. Best Actor maybe, but definitely not a win. Perhaps a nom for cinematography.

It has a chance to win for score, and it is an absolute LOCK for Best Adapted Screenplay.

Just my thoughts. Great film! Definitely picking it up when it releases on blu-ray.

Just watched it, good movie, great acting. Nice screenplay and direction, the dialog's were spot on.

8/10

Solo said:
I joined in late 2006 from what I can tell.

If I remember correctly, I joined late 2005, if not that early 2006. The very first post I have was in April 2006. I can't find the email anymore because I do not have access to that email address anymore, I switched my email address on the profile when I switched schools in 2006.

Wads

Banned
Apparently, I joined sometime around November 2005. They weren't at my school for awhile and then I signed up a bit after it was available. Loved the movie!

equil

I saw this last night, and i enjoyed it.
But its wierd because i went with 2 other people, and both of them hated it.
They said it was boring, and there wasnt any point in watching it after like the first 30 minutes, because you know everything after that.

I dunno i guess its just different strokes for different folks.

Empty

just back from seeing it. excellent movie, i haven't seen a flick that well paced in a while. great direction, the way the different threads are pulled together is very well done and fincher packs it full of little visual tricks and flourishes to enhance the scenes (as well as great individual scenes like the rowing one), a great script from sorkin, great performances and a great soundtrack. maybe not as brilliant a character study as it could be, though the way eisenburg portrays zuckerberg is exceptionally good, but it's very hard to criticize the film at all when the story is told that well. i really liked the ending too, the low energy finish after the intensity and pace of the film and the way it builds up to that big scene near the end really hit a strong emotional chord with me.

CassSept

Wow.
This movie has left me speechless. I have no idea what to say about it.
While it obviously isn't the best film ever (though I think the best in a long time), this is something that defies any categorisation. At the moment I believe it's something unlike anything I have ever seen.
The story is great, the directing and acting are even better. It's a weird beast, that's for sure. I was actually caught off-guard by the ending, because I thought it was only around 2/3s of the story. I couldn't believed that 2 hours flew by so fast.

While I, as some others in this thread, don't think it will own the Academy Awards, it is definitely something marvelous. And quite probably my favourite Fincher movie. He has done something amazing, as I didn't care about this movie at all until first reviews rolled in (I mean, Facebook movie? really?). One thing for sure, I'm gonna definitely recommend it to everyone :D

Imm0rt4l said:
I loved this movie, before going into it a friend told me that she found it to be a bit sexist though she liked it. I can definitely see what she meant. This is probably top 3 movie of the year for me at the moment.

I don't really see the sexism. Erica Albright is the most badass character in the entire film. "You called me a bitch... on the internet."

Truthfully the film made me feel dirty to be a guy, if anything.

Puddles

Banned
Pinzer said:
Yea and Avatar, The Blind Side, District 9, and Up weren't best picture material either yet they were still nominated. The Social Network is a damn good movie. Sure maybe not the BEST (arguable) but it certainly deserves a nomination.

Avatar was easily best picture material.

Anyway, I still haven't seen the movie, but apparently my brother's acapella group is in it at some point as "Harvard Acapella". They're actually a UCLA group called Bruin Harmony. Apparently you get a clear shot of my brother for half a second. Hopefully this movie will come out in Korea so I can watch it.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Saw this. Amazing. My jaw was on the floor with the soundtrack. I just couldn't believe how daring the soundtrack was... like holy fuck that was quite the experiment that could have really backfired.

The story is good but lots of it made up which detracted from my enjoyment a bit.

Saw this movie last night and it was incredible.

My only question is that what exactly happened with the co-founder? Did Zukerberg intentionally screw him over? If so why?

I guess I'm trying to figure out if he's legitimately an asshole (ala Steve Jobs) or just gets "in the moment" and drunk with his ego.

Either way it's good to see that justice was served at the end.

Yaweee

Flying_Phoenix said:
Saw this movie last night and it was incredible.

My only question is that what exactly happened with the co-founder? Did Zukerberg intentionally screw him over? If so why?

I guess I'm trying to figure out if he's legitimately an asshole (ala Steve Jobs) or just gets "in the moment" and drunk with his ego.

Either way it's good to see that justice was served at the end.

Some of the leaked IMs give the impression that Severin really wasn't doing shit and was actually dragging his feet to the point of hurting the company. So, Zuckerberg gave Severin a shitty deal knowing that he would have to settle for a huge amount later.

silvon

Saw it on weekend. Amazing movie, everybody in the movie talks nonstop with rapid-fire speed for two hours, but I didn't get bored. The dialogue is first class, and most of the actors are perfectly cast, especially Eisenberg and Garfield.

Yaweee said:
Some of the leaked IMs give the impression that Severin really wasn't doing shit and was actually dragging his feet to the point of hurting the company. So, Zuckerberg gave Severin a shitty deal knowing that he would have to settle for a huge amount later.

So in short, Severin wasn't doing shit and Zukerberg fucked him over purposely knowing that Severin would rage quit from the project?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom