• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Social Network [OT]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Discotheque said:
Top 3 of the year right now:

1. The Social Network
2. The Ghost Writer
3. Scott Pilgrim

really really need to see Never Let Me Go. I heard it was fantastic. Don't really care about Boyle's lame ass film either, so the only potential threat to my list right now is Never Let Me Go and True Grit. Oh shit and probably Black Swan too, though I'm more hyped for the soundtrack than the actual film itself.
127 Hours is quite a bit better than Never Let Me Go. I loved the book and was disappointed.

jaxword

In the very first scene, Mark is constantly talking about the various clubs on campus, bitterly turning the conversation back to them quite a few times.

Something to mull over when considering the later events.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Discotheque said:
LOL Inception is interesting subject matter executed quite poorly. While Social Network is merely decent material executed extremely well.

And anyways, I don't get the complaints about this being boring subject matter. The lawsuit/story was rife with betrayal and backstabbing. Really cool stuff. And, besides going by that idea I'm sure stuff like 12 Angry Men is also shit because 'lol there was no blood or explosions, this sucks'
Interesting, this is all true. But it's still about Facebook. Fincher has managed to make the unrelatable, somewhat relatable. That's as good as you could possible get, with Facebook.

I see it as him turning something so deprived of any shape or form of intrigue; into something somewhat interesting, and appealing.

Expendable. said:
127 Hours is quite a bit better than Never Let Me Go. I loved the book and was disappointed.

I heard from some people whose opinion I trust that it's really good though, so I'm still really excited to watch it. It also helps that I am not interested in 127 Hours....at all. at all man. (similar to Veidt's initial and probably current disinterest in Social Network subject matter)

Danny Boyle is so off and on for me, and what's worse is this is coming off of Slumdog, so it kills my hype even more.

(._.)

Banned
127 hours is a true story about a guy who cuts his arm off with a dull pocket knife after it gets stuck between a rock, then climbs up the side of a huge drop, and lives to tell the tale. Boyle is directing, Rahman is doing the score, Franco is the lead. You should be super hyped like everybody else..... :D

(._.) said:
127 hours is a true story about a guy who cuts his arm off with a dull pocket knife after it gets stuck between a rock, then climbs up the side of a huge drop, and lives to tell the tale. Boyle is directing, Rahman is doing the score, Franco is the lead. You should be super hyped like everybody else..... :D

Yeah, that's the kind of story I'd be glad to watch on Oprah or 60 Minutes, not in a feature length film. And no, Boyle isn't that special for me. Slumdog was shit, though I'll attribute that more to the story/scriptwriter over Boyle himself. (and Sunshine was pretty good but a bit messy towards the end, The Beach was garbage. 28 Days Later was great. Trainspotting is still his peak though)

I'm sure it will be a decent film, but with the freaking excellence that is slated to come out this year (and in some cases has come out already), 127 Hours just seems like a rental or some shit.

Futureman

Did anyone else think 127 Hours was a comedy or some skit from the MTV Movie Awards from the trailer?

I wasn't really paying attention to the TV, but the preview was on commericials a few nights back and I could have sworn it was a joke.

I'm reading that it's really great though.

Discotheque said:
I heard from some people whose opinion I trust that it's really good though, so I'm still really excited to watch it. It also helps that I am not interested in 127 Hours....at all. at all man. (similar to Veidt's initial and probably current disinterest in Social Network subject matter)

Danny Boyle is so off and on for me, and what's worse is this is coming off of Slumdog, so it kills my hype even more.

I did not really care for Slumdog that much and I'm no Danny Boyle fanboy but I saw 127 Hours the other night and it was a fantastic film. I had no expectations (aside from hearing positive things during the festival season). It's probably my favorite film of the year and James Franco needs an Oscar nod for it. He makes watching one guy pinned to a rock for an hour and half incredibly tense and engaging, no doubt because you totally know what's going to happen, it's just a matter of when and how.

Ashhong

WyndhamPrice said:
I did not really care for Slumdog that much and I'm no Danny Boyle fanboy but I saw 127 Hours the other night and it was a fantastic film. I had no expectations (aside from hearing positive things during the festival season). It's probably my favorite film of the year and James Franco needs an Oscar nod for it. He makes watching one guy pinned to a rock for an hour and half incredibly tense and engaging, no doubt because you totally know what's going to happen, it's just a matter of when and how.

Dont want to threadjack too much, but where did you watch it? Is it playing in limited theaters early?

Suairyu

Banned
My sister just got a job at a cinema and she got me in for free. Fantastic film. I'm about to go on a wikipedia binge to see how accurate everything was. I shall definitely be checking it out again on video.

Side note: what's up with people saying Ghost Writer was a good film? It was a well-produced TV drama at best. The whole thing was telegraphed and lazy and the characters, though all instantly likeable to some degree, weren't very deep.

gdt

Just saw this, fantastic movie. Definitely my movie of the year.

I don't even have a facebook account!

Zaptruder

Banned
So from what we can piece together of the facts...

Mark Zuckerberg has lost key people in his life because they were dead weight in helping his cause.

Seems to me like he's a different brand of 'asshole' from the one they portray in the movie.

Instead of been socially awkward and vengeful, it seems like he's just pragmatic and not one to be tied down to social conventions or put much stead on social loyalty.

jaxword

Zaptruder said:

Mark Zuckerberg has lost key people in his life because they were dead weight in helping his cause.

Seems to me like he's a different brand of 'asshole' from the one they portray in the movie.

Instead of been socially awkward and vengeful, it seems like he's just pragmatic and not one to be tied down to social conventions or put much stead on social loyalty.

What was his "cause"?

Plumbob

Zaptruder said:

screenshot11.png

"I do not like human beings."

Zaptruder

Banned
jaxword said:
What was his "cause"?

Making the biggest most awesome thing that he could.

Which is why he seems to have had use for people that could feed and fuel that ambition.

Plumbob said:
"I do not like human beings."

Been unemotional about human attachment isn't quite the same thing. Seems like he is/was just cold and detached.

Zaptruder said:

Where'd you get this info?

I'd really like to read it. I learning facts about famous people and stuff. :D

I have to say the RT score was enough to compel me to see the movie tonight but I was still expecting to be underwhelmed. I was so wrong that was some of the most riveting stuff I have seen all year. I could have watched the unfolding of these peoples live for 10 hours. When I realized the movie was over I just wanted more.

So I asked this awhile back and forgot to check if someone replied....

Wasn't this movie like originally 3+ hours? What happened?

jtb

Banned
Buckethead said:
So I asked this awhile back and forgot to check if someone replied....

Wasn't this movie like originally 3+ hours? What happened?

David Fincher happened. He told the actors to read the lines quicker + some of the best editing I've seen in a movie in a long time both cut down a lot of the time from what is a pretty long script.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
The script doesn't follow the traditional 1 page per minute rule that most films seem to end up at, but that's more to do with how Sorkin wrote the dialog and how it's acted (fast paced as has been noted). Pretty much everything in the script is in the final film if I remember correctly.

dmshaposv

Top three movies for me so far:

1) The Social Network
2) Inception
3) Ghost Writer

I still haven't watched 127 hrs, and the oscar bait stuff. Everything else was more or less meh. Scott Pilgrim and The Town were good, if unspectacular.

As an aside; Toy Story 3 was surprisingly overrated by many gaffers, while shutter island was extremely underrated.

Might as well bump this thread:

oT56R.jpg

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has announced DVD ($28.96) and Blu-ray ($34.95) releases of The Social Network for January 11th. Extras on the DVD will include a commentary with director David Fincher, and a second commentary with Writer Aaron Sorkin & The Cast. The Blu-ray release will include the commentaries, along with a feature length documentary ("How Did They Ever Make a Movie of Facebook?"), featurettes ("Angus Wall, Kirk Baxter and Ren Klyce on Post", "Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross and David Fincher on the Score", "In the Hall of the Mountain King: Reznor's First Draft", "Swarmatron", "Jeff Cronenweth and David Fincher on the Visuals"), and a Ruby Skye VIP Room: Multi-Angle Scene Breakdown feature.

Three Trent Reznor related featurette ("Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross and David Fincher on the Score", "In the Hall of the Mountain King: Reznor's First Draft", "Swarmatron",) makes me all happy! :D

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Even without the text, the picture doesn't seem right. It's almost like a screencap of that one scene.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I like that cover. Text kinda fits.

gdt5016 said:
Just saw this, fantastic movie. Definitely my movie of the year.

I don't even have a facebook account!

I just got interested in it from the whole how they did it point. I did want there to be more technical stuff tho.

So how much percent certainty that the idea was stolen? (I know it's more that facebook was made great in the process and not just the idea)

Iceman

Ikael said:
Good movie, yet vastly overrated. It would have worked way better as a documentary rather than a movie.

Disagree. The facts of the story were all distorted to make it essentially a fairy tale*. This movie exists in its own reality, not ours. And I was engaged by it the whole time (saw it twice in theaters.)

*it's all about a girl, and there are moral lessons up the ying yang, if you're so inclined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom