• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Social Network [OT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man

Yaweee said:
I hope Sorkin and Fincher work togather again. Fuck, I just hope Sorkin releases more work period.
They should do Masters of Doom (John Carmack and John Romeo). Kinda structured like Social Network in some ways (one IT buddy cutting off another from the empire they created) but it's more adventurous from their wild youths, great fame & tech revolution and rounding off with Columbine shootings and that period. Trent Reznor made the music and sound effects for the Quake series and was a huge Doom fan as well. It could be the R rated variant of Social Network.

Man said:
They should do Masters of Doom (John Carmack and John Romeo). Kinda structured like Social Network in some ways (one IT buddy cutting off another from the empire they created) but it's more adventurous from their wild youths, great fame & tech revolution and rounding off with Columbine shootings and that period. Trent Reznor made the music and sound effects for the Quake series and was a huge Doom fan as well. It could be the R rated variant of Social Network.

this is the best idea in the history of the universe

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I actually really like that cover, it's very different.

I haven't seen it. It probably is. But I wouldn't want that on any cover, regardless. Hell, I don't even like the little blurbs on the top/bottom of covers, but what can you do :lol

Plus, it just takes away from the otherwise cool design. If they had put the quotes on there in some kind of Facebook style way, it might have been... nah, not even then.

brandonh83 said:
I haven't seen it. It probably is. But I wouldn't want that on any cover, regardless. Hell, I don't even like the little blurbs on the top/bottom of covers, but what can you do :lol

Plus, it just takes away from the otherwise cool design. If they had put the quotes on there in some kind of Facebook style way, it might have been... nah, not even then.
The comments are a part of the design. It reads like facebook comments.

Ikael

Disagree. The facts of the story were all distorted to make it essentially a fairy tale*. This movie exists in its own reality, not ours. And I was engaged by it the whole time (saw it twice in theaters.)

*it's all about a girl, and there are moral lessons up the ying yang, if you're so inclined

Thing is, the main quality of the movie is to make attractive to the audience such a dry and almost unfilmable subject: how Silicon Valley works and not one, but two judiciary processes regarding intellectual property, yet the other elements are pretty boring: characters are bidimensional and have little room for evolution, and let's better not talk about the end.

Thing is, the devices that the filmmaker uses to create empathy (what makes the movie become a "fairy tale" and suppousedly adds some message), simply doesn't work, yet they excell at making the story that they wanted to tell (the Facebook's origins) compelling.

Don't get me wrong, that fact alone makes it a really good movie, but movie of the decade? Perhaps it is a personal thing of mine, but I was not struck even one bit by the suppoused message of the movie. The characters remain fairily static and thus, the message seems almost non existant, a sensation that gets reinforced by the ending: a simple point in the plot where the filmakers randomly decided it to end, not the conclussion of any plot arch. To me is as if the filmmakers just wanted to tell the story of the birth Facebook, and nothing else.

I love the cover, it's like a Facebook wall.

It's a hell of a lot better than whatever other floating heads bullshit that's on every other cover these days.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
brandonh83 said:
Only structurally. They don't look like they're actually on a Facebook page.
since a lot of people see it that way though, that's probably what they were going for.

the designer placing the reviews in that way probably couldnt help but notice the similarity even if it was originally unintentional

-COOLIO- said:
the designer placing the reviews in that way probably couldnt help but notice the similarity even if it was originally unintentional

Yeah, sure. If it were actually the same style it would have been a bit cooler, maybe without GIANT FIVE STARS there could be a "like" thumbs up next to each quote.

jett

D-Member
Listening to the soundtrack right now, damn I hadn't noticed how good this shit was during the movie.

Yeah, Hand Covers Bruise is my favorite track of the year.

In Motion works so good in the film too, and God damn at his cover of In the Hall of the Mountain King.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
SN for OST of the year man.
Absolutely ballin'. Atticuss did a great job on The Book of Eli too.

jett

D-Member
Discotheque said:
Yeah, Hand Covers Bruise is my favorite track of the year.

In Motion works so good in the film too, and God damn at his cover of In the Hall of the Mountain King.

I thought the Tron Legacy soundtrack was good but this is like on another level entirely. Hope it gets the recognition it deserves.

popped in the screener for this...and it holds up *really* well on home viewing, unlike some others this year (Inception namely).

God, Top 10 is going to be so hard. I could have sworn Black Swan was going to beat it!

jett

D-Member
The soundtrack battle will probably be fought between Zimmer and Trent Reznor. Zimmer will win probably on the basis that it's the easy choice.

Have you guys seen the WHOLE packaging for the Blu-ray? It's beautiful, and really looks like it was supposed to be a Criterion release.

sn2.jpg

sn4b.jpg

sn6.jpg

sn5.jpg

sn3.jpg

Courtesy of sutter from Bluray.com.

The first three songs of the score are all amazing and make you realize right off the bat the movie is going to be slick as fuck.

Edit: And that packaging is slick as fuck, too.

Net_Wrecker said:
Have you guys seen the WHOLE packaging for the Blu-ray? It's beautiful, and really looks like it was supposed to be a Criterion release.

Courtesy of sutter from Bluray.com.

Is that a sleave within a sleave? Wtf?

Oh well, I guess you get a choice of which cover you'd like to display on your shelf. :lol

Tucah

you speak so well
That's fantastic. I can't wait to own and see this movie again (third time). My movie of the year, no doubt.

Korey

They should have had the critic quotes as a disposable transparent overlay inside the shrink wrap or whatever.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Nice packaging. The Criterion collection will have to be amazing down the road.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Damn, they really need to chill with this. It's just facebook :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom