• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Song above you... Rate it!!!

I enjoyed this. Kind of reminded me of Denali. 8/10

Guster - Satellite

8.5/10

Love it, great mellow music that isn't boring when you actively listen to it.

6.5/10

I was hoping it did something more with that build up but it never did. Also the lead vocals paled in comparison to the backup/chanting vocals but otherwise it was alright.

The Asteroids Galaxy Tour - Satellite
Because now I have two great songs called Satellite :D

Edit: goddamnit, ruined thread flow again. rating incoming.
Edit 2: There, all is right with the world now.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
another good one! I even saw them live last year.

one of my alltime fav's:
converge - wretched world

Down by your side I watch the dreary light

You know, at first, I didn't think I'd be into it.

But I like the polyrhythmic percussion. I checked out other stuff, and am liking stuff from Jane Doe. Was that album a big stylistic change? The YouTube comments are all over the place.

Gold Medalists - Our World

Friend's band.

But I like the polyrhythmic percussion. I checked out other stuff, and am liking stuff from Jane Doe. Was that album a big stylistic change? The YouTube comments are all over the place.

Gold Medalists - Our World

Friend's band.

7/10 Nice and poppy. Liked the song, didn't really like the singers voice though :(

A change of pace I feel, lets slow it down: Daughter - Smother

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
The music sounded pretty good, then the vocals came in.

Nope.

I'm not going to lie, I stopped it after 2 minutes. I just can't get into stuff like this. The screamo nonsense is just bullshit posturing to me. I like emo (clearly) but this is just taken to the max. I just don't buy it, so the over-emoting just seems superfluous, and actually detracts from the rest of the band.

8/10 for the music (they actually sounded a bit like Faraquet musically, which is awesome. But the rhythms were a lot quicker.)

- 5 for the vocals.

3/10. Sorry man!

Just wanted to reply and discuss, hope you don't mind. I know the vocals aren't for everyone, that I'll admit that no doubt, but I just shake my head whenever "screamo" gets thrown around like chicken in a tornado anytime a song with harsh/gutteral vocals get used, reguardless if the song is actually "screamo". And I totally disagree with the "bullshit posturing" and "over-emoting," of the vocals. I think it really adds to the dark, chaotic, wall-of-sound style that the rest of the band has.

But hey whatever, different stroke for different blokes. And vocals regardless, if you only went to minutes, you missed the finale of the song which is, instrument wise, the best part of the song, imo.

Not what i was expecting when i read "David Bowie", but fantastic all the same, it reminded me of Kaddish from Towering Inferno, at times.
9/10.
--

Grails - Almost Grew My Hair

Probably my favorite album from the last 5 years.

Now this I like. I love darker, southern style'd stuff. My mental image of the song is some old ghostly train rolling though the deep south in the dead of night. 9/10

----

Sithu Aye - "Expansion"

Bowflex

The fact that anyone supports Hillary boggles my mind... I have tested between 130-160 on IQ tests

Rezbit

Although it had a couple of moments i liked, it didn't really click with me.
6/10.

--

Mediaeval Baebes - Glass Window

Heard this in "The Witness" trailer (like many other people, judging by the comments) and fell in love with it, very sweet and short track.

Wow you're right, that is a very sweet little song. I could see myself listening to it a lot. 8.5/10, could grow on me even more.

Midnight Juggernauts - Ballad of the War Machine. Actual song starts around the 1:10 mark. It's a song by an Aussie band who made a crazy Soviet-era film clip.

Wow you're right, that is a very sweet little song. I could see myself listening to it a lot. 8.5/10, could grow on me even more.

Midnight Juggernauts - Ballad of the War Machine. Actual song starts around the 1:10 mark. It's a song by an Aussie band who made a crazy Soviet-era film clip.

This makes me think of a trippier vocal Kavinsky for some reason, I really like it. 9/10

Now for something completely different:

Fela Kuti - Gentleman

Be sure to click the "Show More" for a good synopsis.

they did to a certain extend. wretched world is definitely a song that sticks out though. they always have 1-2 songs like that on every record.

ninja likes MF Doom? ahahaha :D that's so awesome!
your muscial taste is all over the place, just like mine.
Throw me in the Doom camp. Not necessarily my fave song but ill nonetheless...8.5/10

Now for some filthy and offensive hip-hop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtGiKViYdGo

white rappers are scumbags hahaha

ah I dig it!

since we're doing some rrraw hip hop now I'll drop some la coka nostra
malverde market

also love the video.

NinjaBoiX

The production was faulty decent, and the rapping proficient, but I'm just not a fan of harsh hip-hop. I have the feeling it was done with a tongue in cheek, but I prefer a smooth rhythmic flow to angrily spitting lines down the mic. The beat was good though.

6/10

Edit:la coka nostra, 8/10, I liked it, much more my thing.

The Kills - Fried My Little Brains

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAo33pg5k84

Basic, stripped back, bluesy punk. A boy, a girl and a drum machine. Love it.

The production was faulty decent, and the rapping proficient, but I'm just not a fan of harsh hip-hop. I have the feeling it was done with a tongue in cheek, but I prefer a smooth rhythmic flow to angrily spitting lines down the mic. The beat was good though.

6/10

The Kills - Fried My Little Brains

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAo33pg5k84

Basic, stripped back, bluesy punk. A boy, a girl and a drum machine. Love it.

Is it possible for a song to be too pared down? Because this song definitely approached that event horizon.
6/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJcCzWcgPsY

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?

6/10

Wait what? La Coka is all about angrily spitting lines down the mic, that's their whole shtick.

edit: Sorry didn't mean to post twice in a row, I was trying to add this to me previous post.

Talk Talk's "I believe in you" is maybe one of my top 5 songs EVER, so you can imagine the score.

And that MF Doom song is great too.

And is that a Dr Katz avatar?

Elder - Dead Roots Stirring
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH2BAn8gZr4

Blackheim

I just cannot seem to get into Classical music. I can appreciate it to some degree but I'll never be a fan :/ It's a nice song though, just not my thing ... 5/10

When I post a song here, I try to keep it somewhat short. This song is lengthy and worth every bit of time spent listening. Unfortunately most people won't be able to appreciate it I imagine and that's ok :p

In The Woods... - Generally More Worried Than Married

I just cannot seem to get into Classical music. I can appreciate it to some degree but I'll never be a fan :/ It's a nice song though, just not my thing ... 5/10

When I post a song here, I try to keep it somewhat short. This song is lengthy and worth every bit of time spent listening. Unfortunately most people won't be able to appreciate it I imagine and that's ok :p

I won't rate this since I just posted but I wanted to say that Strange in Stereo is one of my favorite albums ever (that's where my name comes from). So yeah, great choice there. :p

NinjaBoiX

This song is lengthy and worth every bit of time spent listening. Unfortunately most people won't be able to appreciate it I imagine and that's ok :p

Yeah sorry man, I thought that was dull as fuck. I'm not a fan of the operatic nature, it's a bit pretentious IMO. Slow plodding rhythm, droning vocals, it was just monotonous. I only managed 3 of the 8 and a half minutes.

2/10

Antidote!

Hi-Standard - Teenagers Are All Assholes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcLvmLjPiwY
If you don't get a kick out of this you have no soul.

Yeah sorry man, I thought that was dull as fuck. I'm not a fan of the operatic nature, it's a bit pretentious IMO. Slow plodding rhythm, droning vocals, it was just monotonous. I only managed 3 of the 8 and a half minutes.

2/10

Antidote!

Hi-Standard - Teenagers Are All Assholes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcLvmLjPiwY
If you don't get a kick out of this you have no soul.

WTF did I just watch!?! I did crack a smile, I'll give them that :) 7/10.

Speaking of cracking a smile:

Taj Mahal - Bacon Fat

Not enough Blues in this thread!

Top Bottom