• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Super Robot Wars Z2 |OT| The Last Bastion of Sprite Animation (56k watch out)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The Shuttle from Trider makes a good resupplier because its full upgrade bonus is that it doesn't reduce Morale after resupplying!

Shouta

Finally done with my first playthrough, I'll probably go through it again to take a route I didn't though.

Due to some of the comments in the ending and the preview trailer, I wonder what series are going to come into play and what story extensions are going to happen.

Boss Doggie

Shouta said:
Due to some of the comments in the ending and the preview trailer, I wonder what series are going to come into play and what story extensions are going to happen.

Do they consider the sequels of certain shows "new titles"?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Stuck on stage 45, trying to get the Skill Point. Its that one final enemy (if you've been there, you would know), and trying to whittle it down w/ what resources I have left. I've restarted this stage several times already, lol.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
lupin23rd said:
This one isn't on PSN is it?

Did a quick look and didn't even see a trailer :(

How the fruit did you even get on PSN?
Or is it that only the JP store is unaffected?

Shouta

HaRyu said:
Stuck on stage 45, trying to get the Skill Point. Its that one final enemy (if you've been there, you would know), and trying to whittle it down w/ what resources I have left. I've restarted this stage several times already, lol.

That was pretty easy for me. Just have to have a few folks dedicated to taking out the bigger ones and funnel SP into them. I really started passing around upgrades around then so a lot of my units were very upgraded.

Bebpo

Banned
fffffuuu, stage 20 was HARD. I had a perfect SR point run going until that stage, but 10+ bosses and grunts in 3 turns?? No thanks. Just getting through it alive after everyone's SP ran out and everyone's hit % against these bosses were <50% was challenging enough.

Was surprised they changed that scenario from OO S1 and didn't have
The thrones appear to save Setsuna from Ali spiderbot
. Oh well, I'm sure they'll come any map now.

Still been doing all the routes up until now, so about 38 maps cleared total so far. Must have logged in 40-50 hours already in a week on the game. Great stuff. A little burned out, but totally enjoying it.

Shouta

50 chapters in the game.

You get a lot of money in this so even starting my second game through, I had like 10 million or so credits which is just 25% of what I earned in total the first time.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still stuck on 42. I'm not moving from this spot until I get the damn skill point!

EDIT: Doh. Been on this stage so long, I've lost track what it was. I'm on Stage 45.

Still not moving until I get the stupid skill point!

Boss Doggie

jling84 said:
Is there any reason Escaflowne hasn't appeared in any SRW up to this point?

It has on Wonderswan games. I think you can recruit many from that series.

hteng

Banned
HaRyu said:
I'm still stuck on 42. I'm not moving from this spot until I get the damn skill point!

EDIT: Doh. Been on this stage so long, I've lost track what it was. I'm on Stage 45.

Still not moving until I get the stupid skill point!

make sure your main damage dealers have aced, especially Mazinger (kabuto) and Shin getta (Ryoma), they practically gets 20, 30% damage boosts at 130morale. but my real damage dealer is Chirico, he's one insane fucker, there was one time i got him down to 73 health and with his potential L9 kicking in he was dissing out 20k+ crits on bosses, this is without any seishin command, with soul he could one shoot bosses with less than 50k hp. Whats funny is that he hasn't even reached his full potential yet, his first skill is still ????s.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
hteng said:
make sure your main damage dealers have aced, especially Mazinger (kabuto) and Shin getta (Ryoma), they practically gets 20, 30% damage boosts at 130morale. but my real damage dealer is Chirico, he's one insane fucker, there was one time i got him down to 73 health and with his potential L9 kicking in he was dissing out 20k+ crits on bosses, this is without any seishin command, with soul he could one shoot bosses with less than 50k hp. Whats funny is that he hasn't even reached his full potential yet, his first skill is still ????s.

Oddly enough, I only have 2 Aces (Crowe and Shimon). I'm not having any trouble with the whole stage, just that one last unit. I'm just not causing enough damage. Best I can do is bring it down to about 75%. Of course, all the times I managed to do that, that 25% damage was done all on Turn 5, and only by about six units or so.

My main problem is by the time I have to start attacking that last unit, most of my forces are scattered all over the place, and they just won't make it in time. So right now, its more of a matter of strategic deployment and positioning, and trying to rush through all the enemy units so that I can at least start my attacks on Turn 4, not the Turn 5.

Ookami-kun said:
It has on Wonderswan games. I think you can recruit many from that series.

Compact 3 was great, had Betterman in it too.

Boss Doggie

He's not that hard if you already have morale down spell. He goes down quite easily in a single turn if you play your cards right.

kiun

hteng said:

That is the name of his unique skill. I find Chirico pretty hard to use actually, and he is only a beast when his 10% hp skill kicks in.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Pureauthor said:
Is that the Dark Continent route you're one, HaRyu?

Makes sense that ol'
Lordgenome
would be a tough one.

Ookami-kun said:
He's not that hard if you already have morale down spell. He goes down quite easily in a single turn if you play your cards right.

??? Uhh... no?

I'm on Stage 45,
"Little Queen". Its the Macross F stage.
The stage you guys are talking about is Stage 44. That was one was quite easy.

EDIT: Ookami, are we thinking of the same enemy unit, or are you thinking Stage 44 too?

Shouta

kiun said:
That is the name of his unique skill. I find Chirico pretty hard to use actually, and he is only a beast when his 10% hp skill kicks in.

An upgraded Scopedog is mean as hell above 130 morale. Don't even need his Unique Skill and Prevail, those just make it easier for him to take on everything.

Boss Doggie

Shouta said:
An upgraded Scopedog is mean as hell above 130 morale. Don't even need his Unique Skill and Prevail, those just make it easier for him to take on everything.

Actually that's Chirico's ace bonus. A fully-upgraded Scopedog means higher critical rates.

Shouta

Ookami-kun said:
Actually that's Chirico's ace bonus. A fully-upgraded Scopedog means higher critical rates.

Obviously. I'm saying a 130 morale Chirico in an upgraded Scopedog is a force to be reckoned with even at full hp.

Boss Doggie

You still need to have him kill a lot though, then again that's not much of a problem.

He also gets Soul too which means 2.5 damage instead of just 2.

My Chirico with full hp crits for 13-20k without Soul. I only wish he got hit so I could take advantage of ???? and Prevail. That's with his Scopedog fully upgraded, Predict and Ignore Size ( forgot exactly what parts I gave him ) and I upgraded his range attack stats a bit too. He's such a beast.

:)

*edit*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFGpaVJckh8 Vid I uploaded ~ much <3

Ookami-kun said:
You still need to have him kill a lot though, then again that's not much of a problem.

He also gets Soul too which means 2.5 damage instead of just 2.

Most reals get Soul instead of Hotblood more recently, and vice versa.

Akagi being the exception of course.

Boss Doggie

Pureauthor said:
Most reals get Soul instead of Hotblood more recently, and vice versa.

Akagi being the exception of course.

Prolly to balance it out. Though Amuro has Hotblood, but then again Nu's almost like a Super anyway lol

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
FINALLY BEAT STAGE 45! BWAHAHAHAHA.

As I thought, I pretty much needed all my units to attack that one unit.

hteng

Banned
Ookami-kun said:
Prolly to balance it out. Though Amuro has Hotblood, but then again Nu's almost like a Super anyway lol

amuro always get awaken for his last seishin, i also don't recall him ever getting soul for the previous SRW entries. but anyways, his fin funnel dynamic kill is amazing, love the homage to MSG.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Last stage, and at the last boss... i think. Woohoo!

Concerning the last stage,
can someone give me a translation of the choices?

All the choices if you can, because I know that if you pick the 2nd choice initially, there's another set of choices after that.

Boss Doggie

HaRyu said:
Last stage, and at the last boss... i think. Woohoo!

Concerning the last stage,
can someone give me a translation of the choices?

All the choices if you can, because I know that if you pick the 2nd choice initially, there's another set of choices after that.

First choice = fight for peace, fight him as him.

second choice = fight because you want to fight. He then asks if you mean it. Yes or no. Yes means he goes all serious with higher stats and levels.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Ookami-kun said:
First choice = fight for peace, fight him as him.

second choice = fight because you want to fight. He then asks if you mean it. Yes or no. Yes means he goes all serious with higher stats and levels.

Why am I getting flashbacks to the final stages of SRW 4...

What did you pick, btw?

Is it true that the second choice is based on how many SR points you attained? I mean if you do not have a certain amount of points then nothing will change as far as stats are concerned?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Sseklebeast said:
Is it true that the second choice is based on how many SR points you attained? I mean if you do not have a certain amount of points then nothing will change as far as stats are concerned?

Bah, I wish you had mentioned that earlier, I would have bothered to check (since I have all the SR points).

And yay me! I have finished the game.

Oh, and tip for those who haven't done the last stage yet, you don't get penalized for losing non-essential units on the last stage (aka, you don't end up paying for them). Was so far into the last stage, I had to sacrifice a few units. I hate doing that...

Bebpo

Banned
Now that I'm about halfway (stage 27, so a little over), I need to get something off my chest:
this game is a little boring.

The game is a good srw and from the gameplay-side it's great with all the unique units/FUBs/challenging SR points, lots of maps. The sub-order system is awesome and I love how you get SO MUCH MONEY in this game compared to other SRWs. In my 8 or so SRWs I've finished, I've never fully upgraded a single unit by the end of the game and got their bonus. Because of the money situation here, I'm getting close to FUB on ~3-4 units already by halfway through. That's really cool. From the visual/audio side it's also very good.

But story/pacing-wise. I'm halfway through the game and nothing ever happens. Spoilers for the first half of the game:
Even doing all the routes, so ~40-50 maps by now, after the great initial 5 or 6 recreating all the ep1s from the new shows, the only events I can even remember happening were the map13 fuji hostage situation with zero, the map19 godmars event with his brother, the map20 big army battle from Gundam OO ep15/16, and the map 24 OG plot halfway point. There was also the kokubougar dai-guard map I guess.

The other 30-40 maps have just been a bunch of dimensional monsters showing up, or Ashura showing up with 1 new Dr. Hell mecha that has 1 attack and you beat it and he runs away again, or a bunch of Invaders showing up, or Viral showing up and yelling a bit and then running away again, or Votoms mercs showing up and blowing up in 1 hit, Zechs or Graham army showing up to fight a gundam and then blowing up and running away; same with Ali.

It's just not particularly hot blooded or exciting outside a few hot blooded exciting maps.

I notice this a lot because I've been playing Alpha 3 this year and I'm around the same % through (halfway) and all this stuff has happened in that game already: (spoilers for first half of alpha 3)
Besides the show intros, you have Dancougar destroying the enemy base in NY, the entire 2nd half of GGG TV with the primevals being introduced, destroying GGG hq, invading orbital base, combining on the moon, J-ark, mamoru's past, the professor's death, ZA POWER, the Z-master, then the final TV ep on earth. Phew, yeah so a lot of GGG events. You also have Ideon's intro + arc when it goes to the space colony, event where one the early main badguys gets killed, the entire early arcs of SEED including intro, space colony, decent to earth, desert tiger art with hot dog eating, orb, kagari/athrun getting shot down together, Mac 7 intro + bad guy bringing back flying demon chick and chasing her around, the entire end of the Mac Plus story complete with Sharon Apple vs. Basara music battle, and probably other stuff I'm forgetting. Plus all the OG plot like taking out the 1st platoon on Mars. And the various platoons and OG characters interacting.

The point is that I can remember far more events from the first half of Alpha 3, a game I haven't played for 2-3 months now than I can remember from the first half of Z2-1, a game I've been playing daily for a week and a half now.

It just feels like nothing's happened besides introducing the shows and one OG plot event.

I dunno if I should blame this on splitting the story across 2 games, thus making half of Z2-1 only the first 25% of the story. Which in that case still begs the question of do you really need 40-50 maps for each quarter of the story? Because that's really going to stretch things out and cause dragging.

Or if the problem arises from the show selection and them just picking a bunch of anime series where NOTHING HAPPENS IN THE PLOT for a large chunk of it. It could just be that all the mecha anime lately is monster of the day/mission of the day, and no decent plot arcs occuring anymore. don't know.

All I know is that I'm hoping the last half of this game has a lot more exciting stuff happening and if that doesn't come to fruition, well then I guess I'll hope that Z2-2 is faster paced with lots of events happening throughout. In that doesn't happen either, well then I'll just be a bit disappointed in the Z2 saga overall. But that's a lot of ifs, so hopefully the Z2 saga just has a REALLY slow intro. Right now while I like the gameplay and sprites, I'd rank Z2-1 below Alpha 2/3/Z1/OG2 and somewhere around the DS games like W/K.

HaRyu said:
Bah, I wish you had mentioned that earlier, I would have bothered to check (since I have all the SR points).

And yay me! I have finished the game.

Oh, and tip for those who haven't done the last stage yet, you don't get penalized for losing non-essential units on the last stage (aka, you don't end up paying for them). Was so far into the last stage, I had to sacrifice a few units. I hate doing that...

Hey Prinny! I just found out on Sunday ( the day I finished it ) :p otherwise I would have mentioned it.

Boss Doggie

Bebpo said:
I notice this a lot because I've been playing Alpha 3 this year and I'm around the same % through (halfway) and all this stuff has happened in that game already

That's because @3 is like the best SRW ever

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't call Alpha 3 being the best one ever (Alpha Gaiden is my favorite), but the plot lines in Alpha 3 seemed more haphazard that the other Alpha games. Probably because it was the last one, and it tried to fix any plot inconsistencies generated by the previous games, and some rather far-fetched (but commendable) explanations of how certain series came to even be in Alpha 3 (like explaining why EVA is back, or how the hell the Excellion managed to make it out of that black hole bomb blast from the end of Alpha 1, or even why Virtua On was in it). Its been a while, but I think they also repeated plot lines that were taken care of already in previous games.

Z2.1's plot was fairly straightforward, but for the most part, logical. Although someone needs to explain to me why there's people living underground in this world (GL).

Bebpo

Banned
So the wiki says to get
marguerite
you need to destroy the stage 27 MD with Crowe. What's a good strat for this? Even with Almost every other dm killed by turn 3 my Crowe doesn't have enough morale for AP Phase, and grand sniper only does about <3K damage and I need to do 5-6k and support attacks seem stuck at around 2k. That thing has a high DEF on hard. Missed it on my first run if the map on the Gurren route. Have two more shots with the other routes, so want to get it with one. Although I'd rather use my 24-27 gurren route as my main save because I worked my ass off to get some more kills for simone, since I didn't realize I'd been killing everything in the first 20 stages with kamina :( I really want Simone to hit ACE status by the end, but he only had like 13 kills by map 24 split and for some reason even if I throw GL out in front of my party to get counter-kills, all the enemies ignore him and move toward smaller/weaker units >_<

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Bebpo said:
So the wiki says to get
marguerite
you need to destroy the stage 27 MD with Crowe. What's a good strat for this? Even with Almost every other dm killed by turn 3 my Crowe doesn't have enough morale for AP Phase, and grand sniper only does about <3K damage and I need to do 5-6k and support attacks seem stuck at around 2k. That thing has a high DEF on hard. Missed it on my first run if the map on the Gurren route. Have two more shots with the other routes, so want to get it with one. Although I'd rather use my 24-27 gurren route as my main save because I worked my ass off to get some more kills for simone, since I didn't realize I'd been killing everything in the first 20 stages with kamina :( I really want Simone to hit ACE status by the end, but he only had like 13 kills by map 24 split and for some reason even if I throw GL out in front of my party to get counter-kills, all the enemies ignore him and move toward smaller/weaker units >_<

I don't think the wiki is right about that. The only thing I did that matched up w/ the wiki was that one Convince. I don't remember doing all those things that the wiki said. I was under the impression that it was Skill Points that dictated that secret (and a Convince).

Bebpo

Banned
Hmmm, yeah it seems like the wikis are just listing the absolute minimum, "if you do everything listed you'll have to get it", and some may be unnecesary. Will be nice when the official guide book comes out and clears it up, but I'll probably be long done with the game by then :p

Still going to attempt all the stuff they say on my try with the map. I don't care that much about recruiting, but if it might affect z2-2, then I want it just in case.

Top Bottom