• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Super Robot Wars Z2 |OT| The Last Bastion of Sprite Animation (56k watch out)

Shouta

Man, I totally forgot how the Gurren Lagann plot is actually just the Shin Getter Robo Armageddon plot with a different window dressing. Of course,
It really works well intertwining the two in this game. Shin Mazinger provides the "opposing" energy force to Getter Rays/Spiral Energy as well which is pretty awesome too.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It's a good thing most of my units have been serviceable, there'll be this mission where most SRs are unavailable due to size.

Shouta

I got to that mission and just buffed Chirico's AT and used Daiguard and Crowe to clean up, well with a bit of DX in there, heh.

Anyone get a Hero's Mark yet? I got one after a stage and wasn't sure if it was a secret or not.

hteng

Banned
Shouta said:
Continous Move and Attack Again are incredible skills, for sure. I put both on Crowe and he's just ripping through enemies like crazy. I've given it to most of my units in fact even though I don't use them. Mazinger is gonna be epic with both on though, Proton Beam spam from long range? OOOOOOOOH YEAH

is that the 300sp skill? the one that Setsuna and Roy focker guy in Macross F comes with?

Shouta

hteng said:
is that the 300sp skill? the one that Setsuna and Roy focker guy in Macross F comes with?

Yeah, the skill that allows them to attack again if they're above 120 Morale and destroys a unit.

That mission where Chirico and
Fyana
come out together was great. They kill all Scopedogs one hit,
Red Shoulders
come,
Fyana
gets taken away and Chirico proceeds to solo them all in one round ( cept boss ) while the rest take on Geass units. It was amazing :)

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
I've got about 9 stages to go. The difficulty is perfect in my opinion, especially if I'm obsessive over the skill points.

Based on the story lines covered so far, I can probably guess how the next game is going to carry itself out. I'm going to assume we're going to get the next game fairly quickly (before end of year maybe?), so I'm not going to be complaining if they decide to reuse any sprites/animations. I will however complain if they don't add at least 2 or 3 more series to it (not counting any series that are 2nd season, aka Code Geass, Gundam 00).

hteng

Banned
deeply disappointed with the original's upgrade... if you call that an upgrade at all.. what's up with banpresto (it's the same thing as what they did to SRWZ), they make amazing animations for grunt, side character units (king kittan), enemy units..etc but shitty ones for their originals, blarg.

Shouta

Probably because he may get an upgrade in Z2-2. He got a new attack which is par for the course so far.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, someone remind me from SRWZ1, explain whats the 12(?) warrior/gems/powers thing that Asakim is trying to get? The overall idea is a bit like Fate/Stay Night, if I recall.

And who were supposed to be part of that group in SRWZ1? I know Rand (actually, more like Marl), and Setsuko, but didn't he claim that other characters were also part of that group?

Shouta

They're spheres, based off the Zodiac. Rand/Mail (The Wounded Lion) and Setsuko (Maiden of Sorrow) both have them. Asakim is trying to get them to figure a way out to end his eternal torment.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Shouta said:
They're spheres, based off the Zodiac. Rand/Mail (The Wounded Lion) and Setsuko (Maiden of Sorrow) both have them. Asakim is trying to get them to figure a way out to end his eternal torment.

Ah.... thought they had a more specific name than just Spheres. Okay, so we've only confirmed two, and did Asakim state he had any beforehand?

Edit:
Ah okay, just found out that Crow is Libra, and Aim is Scorpio, so it looks like that we're going in the actual order of the Zodiac, so we have 4 confirmed so far.

hteng

Banned
what's wrong with asakim? what's this eternal torment thing? he seems to be enjoying slaughtering people lol.

the zodiac thing is cool none the less though, i'll wager half of those are probably gonna end up being villians.

Shouta

Asakim, as he states in Z1,is stuck with eternal life and tossed around dimensions as a punishment for something in his past if I'm recalling everything correctly. He wants to collect all the Spheres so he can release him from it or so because these spheres are connected to the Taichi or whatever the powers that be are called in the Z universe.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
hteng said:
what's wrong with asakim? what's this eternal torment thing? he seems to be enjoying slaughtering people lol.

the zodiac thing is cool none the less though, i'll wager half of those are probably gonna end up being villians.

Did some research since my initial question, but somehow, Asakim was made immortal, and he's tired of it. He heard about the Spheres, and if they are somehow brought together, a great power is unleashed, and he believes this will end his immortality.

The two spheres in SRW Z were "The Wounded Lion", w/c is activated by pain, and "The Maiden of Sorrow", w/c is activated by sorrow, obviously. This is why Asakim acted both like a good guy and an ass to Rand (to make the pain worse), and why Asakim was such a complete bastard to Setsuko.

Based on what's happened in Z2,
we see two more spheres, Swaying Scales, w/c is Libra (Crowe), and one for Aim, w/c is Scorpio (don't know what fancy name they're using in this game).

Shouta

HaRyu said:
Did some research since my initial question, but somehow, Asakim was made immortal, and he's tired of it. He heard about the Spheres, and if they are somehow brought together, a great power is unleashed, and he believes this will end his immortality.

The two spheres in SRW Z were "The Wounded Lion", w/c is activated by pain, and "The Maiden of Sorrow", w/c is activated by sorrow, obviously. This is why Asakim acted both like a good guy and an ass to Rand (to make the pain worse), and why Asakim was such a complete bastard to Setsuko.

we see two more spheres, Swaying Scales, w/c is Libra (Crowe), and one for Aim, w/c is Scorpio (don't know what fancy name they're using in this game).

It's
The Swaying Scales (揺れる天秤) for Crowe and The False Black Sheep (偽りの黒羊) for Aeim or whatever his name is spelled as. That would make it Libra and Aries I think. Where'd you get Scorpio from?

Knowing the above makes sense as to why Z2-1 is set up the way it is.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Shouta said:
It's
The Swaying Scales (揺れる天秤) for Crowe and The False Black Sheep (偽りの黒羊) for Aeim or whatever his name is spelled as. That would make it Libra and Aries I think. Where'd you get Scorpio from?

Knowing the above makes sense as to why Z2-1 is set up the way it is.

Ooooh. Okay, uhm....
I thought it was Scorpio because we've been going in order so far: Leo, Virgo, then Libra. Scorpio comes AFTER Libra, so I thought we were going in order.

However, the progression isnt necessarily broken, because if its Aries, and the owner of that sphere is a bad guy, it makes sense. Its because in astrology, Aries opposes Libra, and in Z2.1, Aim and Crowe do oppose each other.

Now then, I did just read a theory that if Scorpio is the next one, that might give us a general idea when the next game comes out, mainly, this November. The reason being is that Scorpio covers that month, AND November (and Scorpio) both have November 11 in it, and if you follow SRW, you would know what that particular date signifies. There's even some people joking that "you know who" is going to be the next OG pilot for that one. ^O^

hteng

Banned
HaRyu said:

cool info bro, seems each zodiac is associate with certain emotion, maybe we can get a silly zodiac like happy pisces (fish) lol.

side note: anyone know sales numbers for the first week ?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
hteng said:
cool info bro, seems each zodiac is associate with certain emotion, maybe we can get a silly zodiac like happy pisces (fish) lol.

side note: anyone know sales numbers for the first week ?

We usually don't find that out till tomorrow at the earliest. I read somewhere that the game did pretty well though. Of course, its SRW, so we would pretty much take that as a given. ^O^

SRW with voiced Macross F, TTGL and Code Geass. It'll do well for itself.

I wonder if some of the NPC originals will get their own mechs in Z2-2. So far some of the plot development seems out of place with them not actually having a part to play in the struggle.

Also, we need more original enemies like the DAMON.

Boss Doggie

Well as long as I get to punch Asakim so bad in the next game, I'm all for it. Making him the "good guy" makes me rage.

Boss Doggie

I must say the Gurren Langgan path was easy. Only thing remotely threatening was Genome and even then that's because of his MAP attack.

Had quite fun with Godmars stuff though. I'm not sure why he has "Convince" command over Marg when you can't get him.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Ookami-kun said:
I must say the Gurren Langgan path was easy. Only thing remotely threatening was Genome and even then that's because of his MAP attack.

Had quite fun with Godmars stuff though. I'm not sure why he has "Convince" command over Marg when you can't get him.

How many times did you use it on him through the whole game? (No, I didn't get him either)
I managed to use it twice.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Hmmmm... entirely possible that it could be a lot more complicated than just using the Convince command. Also entirely possible that the save can carry over to the next game and affects something over there. They've done this before in SRW F and F-Final.

Boss Doggie

Nope sadly. But I heard there isn't much secrets in this game (though apparently stuff you do here will have effects in Z2-2)

Bebpo

Banned
So I'm about 18 hours in now at map 10, all routes so far. It seems from my experience so far that the real robot route aka,
Geass/Votoms/Wing
route is terrrrrrrrrrrrrrible compared to the other routes. Geass maps are like 90% story scenes with no mecha and just character interactions since most of Geass scenes are non-mecha and then when you do get to a map you get to play as plain looking underpowered grunt units
except for Wing
vs. plain looking grunt units!

Otoh the Super route and Super/Real mix route in map 5-9 have you playing as cool dudes with a good story/battle scene balance and fighting against crazy monsters and good enemies.

Looking at which series are in the next split in 11-12, I'm guessing the real = suck; super = rad trend will continue.

Hopefully once the bulk of the team shows up it'll be less of an issue since even on the real route you'll have interesting series and good mechs. But yeah, the first 5-9 split on the real route was 4-5 hours straight of dull in comparison to the other routes.

Exia is my favorite unit in the game so far. Love the animations and such good attacks/stats.

Shouta

HaRyu said:
I didn't. >_<

So that's the secret related to Marg. I convinced him twice and shot him down twice with Godmars to get it. I'll confirm it on my second playthrough.

TimeKillr

So I was looking at the Akarasu wiki for a bunch of stuff (since I don't understand japanese...)

Anyway, I'm wondering about this skill:
Akarasu wiki said:
Attack Again &#20877;&#25915;&#25731; 200 PP Allows the pilot to provide offensive support for himself if Skill stat is 20 or better than enemy.

What is the Skill stat? I was thinking it's the 5th stat when you look at a the upgrade screen (first is HP, 2nd is EN, 3rd is Armor, 4th is Speed(?) and 5th is skill?), but it doesn't seem to trigger often for my Crowe, who is fully upgraded (which should theorically make it trigger ALL the time) but it barely triggers...

Also,
Akarasu wiki again said:
Refueler &#35036;&#32102;&#25216;&#33021; 100 PP Allows the pilot to resupply other units after moving. Cannot be learnt if pilot cannot use a unit that can resupply.

If I'm guessing things correctly, the skill is spelled differently in-game (same 2 or 3 starting kanji, last kanji is 3 katakana characters) and costs 180pp instead of 100... Would I be correct in assuming so? I can only take it on my 2 units who can refuel (Dai-Guard and one from Trider G7, I think) so I'm thinking I'd be right, but I don't want to waste 180 points..

Last Q - I think it was Shouta that said that an upgraded Dai-Guard is great because his attacks pierce special defenses; what did you upgrade first? Even fully upgraded his armor stat looks pretty low, he barely has any Speed, so it would seem logical to fully upgrade his health first, but I'm still skeptical...

Shouta

TimeKillr said:
So I was looking at the Akarasu wiki for a bunch of stuff (since I don't understand japanese...)

Anyway, I'm wondering about this skill:

What is the Skill stat? I was thinking it's the 5th stat when you look at a the upgrade screen (first is HP, 2nd is EN, 3rd is Armor, 4th is Speed(?) and 5th is skill?), but it doesn't seem to trigger often for my Crowe, who is fully upgraded (which should theorically make it trigger ALL the time) but it barely triggers...

Skill stat is for the pilot, not the unit. The kanji looks like &#25216;&#33021;

TimeKillr said:
If I'm guessing things correctly, the skill is spelled differently in-game (same 2 or 3 starting kanji, last kanji is 3 katakana characters) and costs 180pp instead of 100... Would I be correct in assuming so? I can only take it on my 2 units who can refuel (Dai-Guard and one from Trider G7, I think) so I'm thinking I'd be right, but I don't want to waste 180 points..

Correct, it's 180pp. The 100 PP is probably from an older game. Only units with supply get it so the Shuttle from Trider G7 and Daiguard has it if you're on the early super robot route. If you're not sure, save your game before you buy the skill, get it go into the next battle and test it. If it's the skill you need, then you can continue, if not restart the game.

TimeKillr said:
Last Q - I think it was Shouta that said that an upgraded Dai-Guard is great because his attacks pierce special defenses; what did you upgrade first? Even fully upgraded his armor stat looks pretty low, he barely has any Speed, so it would seem logical to fully upgrade his health first, but I'm still skeptical...

Upgrade both armor and health concurrently. You'll want the armor to reduce damage and the health to survive longer and give you a high threshold for Akagi's Prevail Skill to kick in. For speed issues, when you get movement items, equip those to Daiguard or get the Dash skill or use the &#21152;&#36895; skill if you need.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
xero273 said:
That skill stat you have in the pic, i thought that was accuracy?

No, those 6 pilots stats are:

MELEE ACCURACY DODGE
RANGED DEFENSE SKILL

EDIT: FFFFFFF. WAIT WAIT. Might be wrong.

EDIT AGAIN: Okay, so looking at an old SRW game, where I KNOW what the stats are suppose to be, the 6 pilots stats in Z2.1 are:

MELEE SKILL DODGE
RANGED DEFENSE ACCRUACY

Shouta

HaRyu said:
No, those 6 pilots stats are:

MELEE ACCURACY DODGE
RANGED DEFENSE SKILL

EDIT: FFFFFFF. WAIT WAIT. Might be wrong.

Flip accuracy and skill in your list and it'll be correct.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Shouta said:
Flip accuracy and skill in your list and it'll be correct.

Yeah, figured that out. So used to having Skill listed as the 6th stat, that I didn't even really notice till now. lol

Okay, so... am I right about the last mech stat is Limit? Because it doesn't look like it tells you anymore if your pilot Skill exceeds Limit. Which could possibly mean that abou 90% of all my pilots are actually fighting at a gimped capacity.

EDIT: Aaaaand just found out the mech one is Mech Accuracy. As you can tell, I have a 1st grade grasp of basic Japanese characters. W/c does prove you don't really have to know a lot to play these games. ^O^

TimeKillr

HaRyu said:
Is this your first time playing a SRW?

Nah. I played the HELL out of OG1 and 2 on the GBA and know it by heart so much that I bought OGS and OGG. Using that I know at least the kanji for Focus and Strike by heart, and the hiragana for Flash also :)

I really wish I could understand the storyline (given how I loved the story in OG, I imagine I would like this too), but the gameplay more than makes up for it.

It explains why I don't know about Skill and Limit though. I don't even know if they were in any game pre Z.

hteng

Banned
never really think highly of the dash skill since it takes 130 moral to activate, by the time i get 130, everything's pretty much dead on the field and I abuse acceleration frequently. my frontliners are always mazinger, getta, blaster (og), gurren lagann, some other random SR.. it's funny cause usually you want your RRs in the front to soften up enemies and bring in the big guns later on.

gotta love my iron walls <3

next playthrough i should focus more on the RRs.

don't you guys hate maps that wants you to kill everything in 2 turns (not including enemies phase)?

reading some secrets
Marguerite (Stage 49)
Defeat Marguerite with Crow every time Marguerite appears
Defeat Dimensional Beast MD with Crow
Convince with Crow on stage 42. She will join on Stage 49.

hows this possible, there's one stage Crow has to bail out because he got his ass kicked by the lance dude. Im assuming marguerite is the boob lady in the white mech that throws a hugeass shuriken

Shouta

You beat her everytime he can on the stage which is like 2 or 3 times and make sure to try and Convince her as well.

Also, the Dash skill gives +1 normally and it goes up to +2 over 130 Morale.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
TimeKillr said:
It explains why I don't know about Skill and Limit though. I don't even know if they were in any game pre Z.

You can ignore the Limit, its not in this game. In case you're curious, the way Limit worked was that if a pilot's Skill exceeded a mech's Limit rating, that pilots overall abilities would be reduced (hit rate, dodge, damage). So you would have to constantly make sure the Limit was just high enough for the pilot.

hteng said:
don't you guys hate maps that wants you to kill everything in 2 turns (not including enemies phase)?

There's a stage where it doesnt count the enemy phase? I haven't run into that at all... and I'm almost finished w/ the game.

And actually, I've gotten quite a lot of Skill Points during the enemy phase. Especially the last couple of ones. ^O^

hteng

Banned
Shouta said:
You beat her everytime he can on the stage which is like 2 or 3 times and make sure to try and Convince her as well.

Also, the Dash skill gives +1 normally and it goes up to +2 over 130 Morale.

damnit, i guess i missed the convincing part.. bloody hell 2nd playthrough then D:

There's a stage where it doesnt count the enemy phase? I haven't run into that at all... and I'm almost finished w/ the game.

And actually, I've gotten quite a lot of Skill Points during the enemy phase. Especially the last couple of ones. ^O^

there was one with a ton of shin getta monsters, but that's relatively easy but i dont like rushing my games :/

usually these maps have 2 variations, one that lets you get the SR before end of a particular phase. one that lets you get the SR only if you kill everything on that particular phase and must be your phase.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
hteng said:
usually these maps have 2 variations, one that lets you get the SR before end of a particular phase. one that lets you get the SR only if you kill everything on that particular phase and must be your phase.

Yeah, I know about the variations, but I haven't seen any map yet w/ that particular variation yet, where you HAVE to fulfill the skill point ON your player phase. Every one I've seen so far give you till the end of the enemy phase to do it.

So far, the only "catch" you have to worry about any Skill Points w/ turn requirements is that if you start the turn count ON the enemy phase. If you do this, you have to be aware that you're screwing yourself, because you're not actually getting full turn amount.

For example, certain skill point takes 3 turns. If you start the count on the enemy phase, that turn counts, so in essence, you only have 2.5 turns to do it. Hell, if you cant manage to kill enough enemies in that initial enemy phase, you realistically only have 2 turns to do it. A lot of stages in this game do that.

EDIT: EHHHHH. I'm am just so wrong today. Looking at the SRW wiki, there's 3 stages where that variation exists. Considering w/c stages those are though, they didn't seem that hard at the time.

Top Bottom