• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Switch Protection Thread

antonz

Is Amazon the only place to get the amfield? Non prime eligible hurts me all over

They offer free shipping and are not amazon prime eligible. So you should be ok. They are being hit pretty heavy with orders so if you ordered today would be about 10-11 days before you got them.

They do not seem to be anywhere else though. Small Pennsylvania company from what I can see

So...I'm getting the am protector in a day or so...but now am worried about protecting the backside of the switch from scratches. Now that I'm hearing that microfiber and the like wont work as they can trap dust, I'm all out of ideas.

Oh man, people, you gotta let it go. It's your Switch, you paid for it, do what you need to do. But to me, once you've got that screen protected (amFilm working great for me so far), you gotta leave the rest to fate. Don't worry about the back or the sides or anything else. It's a portable! Let it get scratched and scuffed everywhere where It doesn't matter.

I ordered my amFilm yesterday from Amazon, even though it said they wouldn't be available until the 15th. But it shipped today!

This thread seems to be for people who would rather have tiny potential bubbles vs tiny potential scratches.

One is permanent and one is not, I know. But still: kind of funny.

We got the Zagg Invisishield in store finally but not sure it's a good fit for it? ;s

Oh god... I used to have to fit those things as part of my job. Best application process, no doubt, but the material is just guff. "Invisible" my arse. Has a horrible texture to it and after a while it begins to contour, meaning that light reflects off the "bumps" and just ends up being weird.

Avoid.

hoserx

I got my amfilm protectors today and fucked them both up. I always end up with a spec of dust or two in the center, and then I try to fix it and it gets worse. Fuck it. I think I'm going to give up. haha.

Got my ButterFox case today. It's nice. First like a glove, almost too tight though for my tastes personally, the braiding around the case rubs against it as I put it in, have to push a bit to get it to insert. I don't like when things fit too snugly with a harder material like that as it can wear away at the edges.

I love the look, and it has everything I wanted inside. May cut the straps/bands off though, it already doesn't move at all inside the case, it really doesn't need those.

33309288276_4af67b9a86_h.jpg

NimbusD

Well that's disappointing. Got my amfilm screen today. Didn't even realize it was such a sought after item until reading this thread. Then I got super excited. First application. Was horrible. Not on my end but following the instructions let to a giant bubble in the middle and since it's glass there essentially was no way to get it out especially with the shitty cardboard card they give you. So I had to peel back the glass and try to lay it flat again but of course that led to dust under the glass so I has to throw that out. Second application didn't care much better. This time there was four giant bubbles in the middle. I had to do the peel back and reset method again but I made sure I did it in a way no dust would easily get in there. Managed to do it but right under the screen there's like a smudge on the inside like the adhesive squished together. I'll live you can't really notice if you're not inspecting, but man that application method sucked

SexyFish

Banned
Well that's disappointing. Got my amfilm screen today. Didn't even realize it was such a sought after item until reading this thread. Then I got super excited. First application. Was horrible. Not on my end but following the instructions let to a giant bubble in the middle and since it's glass there essentially was no way to get it out especially with the shitty cardboard card they give you. So I had to peel back the glass and try to lay it flat again but of course that led to dust under the glass so I has to throw that out. Second application didn't care much better. This time there was four giant bubbles in the middle. I had to do the peel back and reset method again but I made sure I did it in a way no dust would easily get in there. Managed to do it but right under the screen there's like a smudge on the inside like the adhesive squished together. I'll live you can't really notice if you're not inspecting, but man that application method sucked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5zU1KtBQB4

Always use the hinge method in a steaming hot bathroom. Never fuck up again.

amrum

Can you confirm the switch screen is made with plastic ?

If so, what are the benefits of a tempered glass screen protector ?

Tillbo

Steamy bathroom definitely vital - only way I ever manage to get screen protectors on without getting dust underneath!

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Let us know if it does. The company has a good reputation for protectors so I'm hoping for the best.

It got pushed back by at least a week. Honestly, I am ready to cancel the order. I suspect the scratch issue is being blown out of proportion. My dock has enough room so I am not concerned about getting a scratch.

anyone tried the orzly tempered glass protector? are they the same as amfilm?

They haven't shipped yet. Most glass screen protectors come from the same place and get resold under different brands. That's been my experience with cell phone ones at least.

Listonosh

So I ordered the amFilm tempered glass protector last night after seeing mostly glowing reviews, and even some youtube videos endorsing the thing. However, today I came across this thread, which talks about it melting it when it was docked.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/5xlfxy/switch_melted_my_screen_protector/

So, of course, I'm only slightly panicking, but I did see a lot of comments suggesting you're supposed to wait and let the protector settle for a while. Has anyone else on here had the same issue? Or is it basically avoidable by letting the adhesive sit for a while before docking?

Cepheus

anyone tried the orzly tempered glass protector? are they the same as amfilm?

I ordered my orzly case on Monday and it hasn't arrived yet. In the meantime, I bought an ethernet adapter for my Switch since the university WiFi is a bit iffy. That should be getting here next Monday. Maybe even tomorrow.

h0tp0ck3t

I totally botched both my amfilm applications. The second time wasn't as bad put I had to lift part of it off and reapply to get rid of monster bubble towards the center.

This thing's gonna peel off on the dock tonight isn't it?
:...(

I totally botched both my amfilm applications. The second time wasn't as bad put I had to lift part of it off and reapply to get rid of monster bubble towards the center.

This thing's gonna peel off on the dock tonight isn't it?
:...(
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I just got my amfilm and applied it. And of course, like every screen protector in the world it doesn't go as well for me. I had crazy bubbles and a piece of hair got under the thing somehow. So I had to lift it up like 3 times to fix it and now the bottom corner is a mess, lol.

I might try and redo it with the second one, but I'm already frustrated. I hate screen protectors so much.

I personally got a very tiny bubble in the very edge of the right corner of the bezel (Amfilm one). I honestly don't want to try reapplying a screen right now so I might deal with it for a bit. Other than the very small bubble, mine was applied nicely (mostly because my older brother did it and he's used to applying screen protectors).

If it gets really bad and annoying, I'll apply the second one. Really good screen protectors for the price I got them though (about $10)! Touch screen worked perfected in portable mode and I let it set for a few hours so, hopefully, it doesn't melt like one or two reports have said. I checked it this morning and it seems perfectly fine.

Do you just use tape or should I buy stickers with removable adhesive?

Edit: Bought the AmFilm, comes in the mail today, not sure if any guide stickers come with that.
i just used tape tbh

but because the soft plastic of the switch is damaged by adhesive, i put a piece of paper under the switch, then stuck the tape to the paper. so essentially i used the paper to cover the body of the switch.

Reapplied my amfilm and things went a lot better. Couple of very tiny bubbles, hopefully they go away. Went on a lot smoother the second time around.

EDIT: Got the bubbles out!!! Just need to apply some more pressure lol. Zero bubbles now, completely clean application. Whew.

bosh

i just used tape tbh

but because the soft plastic of the switch is damaged by adhesive, i put a piece of paper under the switch, then stuck the tape to the paper. so essentially i used the paper to cover the body of the switch.

Good to know, thank you for the tip!

Moofers

First time I've seen this thread and I gotta say bangup job, OP! Lots of great pics and helpful tips. I'm going to pass this along to the other Switch owners I know who don't visit GAF.

Could we also cover travel cases in here? I got the PDP one and am pretty happy with it. I don't have any pics but I could work on that.

So I ordered the amFilm tempered glass protector last night after seeing mostly glowing reviews, and even some youtube videos endorsing the thing. However, today I came across this thread, which talks about it melting it when it was docked.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/5xlfxy/switch_melted_my_screen_protector/

So, of course, I'm only slightly panicking, but I did see a lot of comments suggesting you're supposed to wait and let the protector settle for a while. Has anyone else on here had the same issue? Or is it basically avoidable by letting the adhesive sit for a while before docking?

what the hell...

I just ordered these covers and now i'm frightened.

VARIA

what the hell...

I just ordered these covers and now i'm frightened.

Yeah, I think occurrences of melt/warp may have more to do with the thickness of the screen protector than the brand. That's why the cheaper Hori one is allegedly fine since it's not as thick. But I dunno.

I'm playing it safe and not docking the Switch, instead using the USB-C Male/Female cable (connected inside the Switch dock) and resting my Switch system outside of it. Works great.

Anyone get their Orzly glass screen protector? I ordered from amazon and it says it should be arriving today. There is no tracking number..

Got my amFilm protector last night. Got it aligned perfectly, but then I noticed I got a little lint under the glass. Not sure if this is going to drive me nuts or not yet, but if I do decide to try the other one, do I use the card that came with it to get the old one off? I've never removed a glass protector before so I'm not sure the best way to go about it.

Anyone get their Orzly glass screen protector? I ordered from amazon and it says it should be arriving today. There is no tracking number..
When did you order and when did they mark it as shipped? Mine shipped out on Feb 20th and they emailed me saying it would arrive on the 16th.

Piggus

Not yet. :( Mine "shipped" a while ago, but it was only because they were having trouble with Amazon threatening to cancel orders due to the pre-ordering not being set up correctly.

Thoraxes

IDK, they had free shipping on it and I pre-ordered it a while ago, but I don't think it'll get here for a couple weeks for some reason.

Listonosh

I'm trying to look up some microfiber to buy and just rest over the Dock. Is there any sort of brand that people prefer?

Would something like this be OK?

Davilmar

Received my amFilm screen protector, and was left disappointed. Didn't have the opportunity to do the steam method, but had several huge bubbles on both screens. Ordering a refund. I didn't have the major issue with the dock, but did notice that the bottom corner of the first screen began losing its adhesive when the screen was in the dock. Not sure if this is a confirmation, but I am taking no more chances with these screen protectors.

I have installed several tempered glass in multiple devices ,including the switch without any issues. If you are careful , there is no major issues. I don't even use steam method or anything .
Amfilm rocks

Davilmar

I have installed several tempered glass in multiple devices ,including the switch without any issues. If you are careful , there is no major issues. I don't even use steam method or anything .
Amfilm rocks

So because you had good luck installing the screen, that somehow invalidates the issue faced by myself and other users? Well, good luck with that argument. The fact is, I followed the instructions given by both the instructions in the package and the YouTube video. Still had numerous bubbles. Washed my hands until they were pale. Still had bubbles. I'm happy you managed to install your screen successfully, and I have had several successful installations on my cell phones, tablet, New Nintendo 3DS, Vita, etc. That being said, I didn't have luck with this. There isn't any need to be inconsiderate, and think my issue is well-within reason to refund. Hell, if they offered an exchange I would take it.

��

Your mileage may vary, so don't take my account as definitive. I just wasn't impressed with the amFilm screen, and I was surprised by how many huge bubbles still remained no matter how clean the screen remained, how many times I used the card to rid of bubbles, etc. I hope you have better luck than me!

h0tp0ck3t

2 hours on the dock and so far no signs of peeling from the amfilm unlike the piece of shit premium hori one.
I didn't dock until at least 24 hours after applying

Top Bottom