• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

kiryogi

Banned
Jonnyram said:
:lol which one is Judy? I can't tell. They both sound out of place for her though. She's a total sex fiend in the Japanese version.

Oh btw, do you know what the precise requirements are for the usamimi parts? I gather you need to unlock titles to get more attachments, right? Do you know the numbers?

No word on any numbers at all from what Ive seen on the wikis. Just.. collect a ton of titles. Well, I did have a number on how many for the very last item. It was like 100 something titles? I'm gonna ask my friend again. She told me the other day, but my power went out today so I lost her IM XD And yeah Hisakawa, is totally sultry deep and awesome as Judy. US judy? Absolutely misses the mark for her char. And even the events show off how service-y she can be. Like the sexy outfit one XD Anyway, in the 2nd battle, you can hear her doing that new moon slash or whatever, that'd be her. :/ So wrong. At the least, I was expecting maybe something deep or old like english Fran from FFXII, but instead we get this rather soft sounding girl.

EmSeta

Rayne.S said:
To PAL USERS : Tales of Vesperia US VERSION is NOT region free.

Tested ... and failed.

depressed-man.jpg

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Jonnyram said:
:lol which one is Judy? I can't tell. They both sound out of place for her though. She's a total sex fiend in the Japanese version.

Oh btw, do you know what the precise requirements are for the usamimi parts? I gather you need to unlock titles to get more attachments, right? Do you know the numbers?
She was the first female to speak in the first battle and the only one to speak in the second at the beginning of the second battle. The second time she said, "This'll make good practice."

MrDaravon

jvalioli said:
Sort of wishing I hadn't waited so long before ordering. Amazon is out of the CE and shipping stuff is getting weird with moving addresses and such.

What's weird is I ordered the CE through amazon, and it gives me a delivery estimate (as opposed to the normal shipping estimate), but doesn't indicate at all that it has shipped, so I don't know what the hell. Apparently no one over at CAG has had their CE order ship yet either.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I don't much care for the English VA. :\ I wish I the Japanese version had been region free. Ah well, should still be a good game.

birdman

Quick question for you guys who've played Vesperia: I'm thinking of getting the game, but I'm not sure yet. Would you recommend the game to someone who loved Symphonia?

kiryogi

Banned
birdman said:
Quick question for you guys who've played Vesperia: I'm thinking of getting the game, but I'm not sure yet. Would you recommend the game to someone who loved Symphonia?

Yes, honestly. It's done by the same team. As someone best put it, this is what they set out to do with Symphonia and Abyss but couldn't quite do it with the limitations. They finally evolve and refine the battle system. Oh and I'd say more,, but its 7AM and I've been playing it all night XD

I understand that it wouldn't fit on the disk, but is there any reason why alternate language tracks couldn't be released as DLC for games like this?

Sabaku Ika said:
I understand that it wouldn't fit on the disk, but is there any reason why alternate language tracks couldn't be released as DLC for games like this?

It makes so much sense that I can see it happening really soon for future games. Hell, write them an email. With any business, if they see money in something that will cost them very little to produce and distribute, they'll sure as hell do it. (barring any legal issues, of course)

clashfan said:
I though the game was suppose to be out Tuesday? I can't find it in any stores.

It better fucking be in CC today. Else I'll scream out Nerd Rage which is my special move that gives me +10 attack power on magazine racks. After spending a solid 5-10 minutes picking up the mess after such an onslaught, they'll remember to have games in stock on time for the next big release. Take that shit to the bank.

clashfan

gregor7777 said:
It better fucking be in CC today. Else I'll scream out Nerd Rage which is my special move that gives me +10 attack power on magazine racks. After spending a solid 5-10 minutes picking up the mess after such an onslaught, they'll remember to have games in stock on time for the next big release. Take that shit to the bank.

Make sure to tell them GAF sent you! :lol

Freki

gregor7777 said:

May I ask you for advice?

What should I as a European do because of that region-locked-10-years-delay-bullshit?

Went to EB.

I preordered the Collectors Edition, and they don't have any! Then the guy tells me it's an EB online exclusive...

Anyone else have this problem?

I'm gunna search a few stores and if they don't have it I'll jump on EB's website and get one. Hopefully it's not sold out already... ... ... :L

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Arpharmd B said:
Went to EB.

I preordered the Collectors Edition, and they don't have any! Then the guy tells me it's an EB online exclusive...

Anyone else have this problem?

I'm gunna search a few stores and if they don't have it I'll jump on EB's website and get one. Hopefully it's not sold out already... ... ... :L

Yup. Though Gamecrazy does sell the CE, except none in my area go it.

My Amazon order for the CE STILL hasn't shipped, but it's still telling me the estimated arrival date is tomorrow. I just called up my local Gamestop and they have some copies of the regular edition in stock. I'm thinking about just cancelling my CE order and getting the regular. I mean, I can save myself 10 bucks, plus if it does ship today I'd still have to wait untill tomorrow to play it.

Decisions, decisons.

Jonnyram

Damn, I was hoping I would have more people to talk with than just kiryogi by now. Has the game even come out over there yet? :lol

Freki said:
May I ask you for advice?

What should I as a European do because of that region-locked-10-years-delay-bullshit?

Invest skill points in Bitter Tears.

For players that choose the starting zone of Wastelands Beyond the Edges of Civilization, that skill will come in handy.

;)

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Jonnyram said:
Damn, I was hoping I would have more people to talk with than just kiryogi by now. Has the game even come out over there yet? :lol
It will hit Gamestop/EB specialty-type stores today, bigger chains tomorrow.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Had no real intention to buy this, but I have it in my hands right now. Let's go! I expect a better looking and running Abyss which I loved to bits.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Need to get this today... luckily I have some cash to spare, even after a fairly expensive vacation I just had. But I won't get around to playing it until much later in the year :(

Princess Skittles said:
It will hit Gamestop/EB specialty-type stores today, bigger chains tomorrow.

Truth, couldn't find it at Circuit City (they don't even have it in their system) but gamestop had it in.

I'll be playing tonight. :)

Darkman M said:
The shipments for this game must be fucked, does anyone in NA have it!?

Boca Raton Gamestops got it in today.

Darkman M

gregor7777 said:
Truth, couldn't find it at Circuit City (they don't even have it in their system) but gamestop had it in.

I'll be playing tonight. :)

Boca Raton Gamestops got it in today.

Amazon hasn't shipped my collectors edition yet, i really hope they don't fuck me over like they did with SCIV LE shit's getting old.

Geoff9920

For the few that have the game already, I'm curious as to how the Secret Missions work. Do I discover what the requirements for each one is in game or do I have to know what they are from sources outside the game?

Darkman M said:
The shipments for this game must be fucked, does anyone in NA have it!?
The store I preordered at wasn't getting theirs in untill this afternoon.

Darkman M

Geoff9920 said:
For the few that have the game already, I'm curious as to how the Secret Missions work. Do I discover what the requirements for each one is in game or do I have to know what they are from sources outside the game?

The store I preordered at wasn't getting theirs in untill this afternoon.

Don't have the game, but i have the guide from the looks of it doesn't seem like the game would really indicate what they are in game, i imagine to get them all you would probably need some kind of faq or guide cause it seems like these could easily be missed.

Paznos

Darkman M said:
Amazon hasn't shipped my collectors edition yet, i really hope they don't fuck me over like they did with SCIV LE shit's getting old.
They haven't shipped my SE copy either...... but with one day shipping if it does ship today I will get it tomorrow *knock on wood*

Jonnyram

I just tried to do a boss fight with all chars set to quarter damage. Oops.
My items ran out around the half way mark, then he started spamming moves that healed him for 10% HP in 5 seconds. Double oops.

Is the best way to be tackling this game on Hard (and eventually Unknown) to unlock that skill for you main that if you perform a 28+ combo you get X amount of Limit bars recharged, and to just continuously pull off long combos on even routine enemies (which take forever to beat), as well as bosses? If I try anything but engaging in an Overlimit Combo -> Burst Arte -> Mystic Arte, the battle is a toss up, and boss battles are impossible.

Anyone play the
Tales of Draspi
minigame yet? High scores and best times?

Geoff9920

Darkman M said:
Don't have the game, but i have the guide from the looks of it doesn't seem like the game would really indicate what they are in game, i imagine to get them all you would probably need some kind of faq or guide cause it seems like these could easily be missed.
That's a bit disappointing, but not totally unexpected. Thanks.

I didn't recall seeing anything about the Secret Missions beforehand, I would just beat bosses and an achievement would come on saying "Secret Mission 5" or something like that. I believe your log might reveal what it is you did. The bit of info I have on it says you must fulfill certain conditions in the boss battle, like have a certain character finish the fight, or do certain moves.

Also - has anyone figured out how to get the end battle skit where Estelle says "They're bouncy" and Judith goes "what is" and then Estelle says like "I wish mine were bouncy"? I saw it only like twice and I know the ending skits are dependent on who is in your team during the fight + who delivers the finishing blow/who participates in final combo.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Spruchy said:
HPIM0658.jpg

The tissue roll is from all the tears of joy.

See you many hours from now.

I am THIS close to canceling my CE preorder on Amazon. Thing hasn't even shipped yet, and the regular boxart is not as bad as I originally thought. My local EB has the game in stock too, and it's only 10 minutes away. (plus I'll save 10 bucks.)

Should I hop in the car GAF? The only realy reason I want the LE is the boxart, I think I can do without.

Paznos

Ermac said:
I am THIS close to canceling my CE preorder on Amazon. Thing hasn't even shipped yet, and the regular boxart is not as bad as I originally thought. My local EB has the game in stock too, and it's only 10 minutes away. (plus I'll save 10 bucks.)

Should I hop in the car GAF? The only realy reason I want the LE is the boxart, I think I can do without.
Tell me about it..... Amazon better ship the SE today, I've heard the SE also comes with the regular boxart inside.

So, anyone who has already played extensively...

How is the balance between melee and magic characters?

Is it like Symphonia where magic is terrible? (spell queue)

Like Abyss where melee just acts as a decoy for magic to slaughter everything?

A mix of the two?

WrikaWrek

Banned
Gamespot really likes the game. Saw the Video Review, it's a beautiful game.

Can anyone comment on the overall difficulty? I don't like hard RPGs that make you have to constantly reload saves and grind like mad before boss fights.

And how's the story? Is it appealing? I'm thinking of buying the game.

cleveridea said:
woah I go to the town center mall all the time.

th_catwtf7.gif

you go there?

Off Glades? I'll go there from time to time but usually I hit up the Gamestop on Linton and Federal.

Today I went to the CC on Glades and left disapointed, magazine racks upright and intact.

The Gamestop in that mall has at least a couple copies left.

jvalioli

Ermac said:

I'd buy your SE if you want to go with the regular.

edit:Quoted wrong person at first.

gregor7777 said:
Off Glades? I'll go there from time to time but usually I hit up the Gamestop on Linton and Federal.

yeah. The one on linton is cool, I remember the guy working there tried to persuade me not to pick up Two World when that came out :lol

Today I went to the CC on Glades and left disapointed, magazine racks upright and intact.

That store sucks, it takes forever to buy something day it comes out and I am usually waiting at their customer support desk. I have the 10% discount card, but I end up waiting 15-20 mins or so when I get a game day one. Wouldnt be so bad if I wasnt at lunch, several miles from office. Won't renew.

Ermac said:
Yup. Though Gamecrazy does sell the CE, except none in my area go it.

My Amazon order for the CE STILL hasn't shipped, but it's still telling me the estimated arrival date is tomorrow. I just called up my local Gamestop and they have some copies of the regular edition in stock. I'm thinking about just cancelling my CE order and getting the regular. I mean, I can save myself 10 bucks, plus if it does ship today I'd still have to wait untill tomorrow to play it.

Decisions, decisons.

Just placed the order for the CE on Amazon.

EB.com's website doesn't have it.

I'll wait. This may be turn out to be one of the rarer CE's, and I <3 the japanese boxart.

Jonnyram said:
Regardless of how you play, you should be able to see them all in the skit viewer on Namcot Island, right?

That's the square-box, hand-drawn animation skits triggered by the Back Button, not the end-of-battle, in-game model skits.

My Arms Your Hearse said:

A mix of the two?

Rita and Estelle can become pretty powerful, and I mean, I couldn't have beaten the last 1/3 of the game without them doing their magic casting. My main party consisted of Rita doing full Artes/TP, Estelle focusing on healing and occassionally using a damage spell, Yuri and Judith doing Melee combos together. On harder bosses, I would let Rita and Estelle open with spells chaining (usually ending with Tractor Beam) and then go into a long combo with Yuri and Judith.

I mean, it's not as effective at certain points, but once I got the reduced spell casting time item, the spellcasting speed caught up with the melee and provided much better balance. Also, the 10% TP replenish and reduced TP cost items were crucial.

kiryogi

Banned
TSA said:
Is the best way to be tackling this game on Hard (and eventually Unknown) to unlock that skill for you main that if you perform a 28+ combo you get X amount of Limit bars recharged, and to just continuously pull off long combos on even routine enemies (which take forever to beat), as well as bosses? If I try anything but engaging in an Overlimit Combo -> Burst Arte -> Mystic Arte, the battle is a toss up, and boss battles are impossible.

Anyone play the
Tales of Draspi
minigame yet? High scores and best times?

Heh, what's with the spoiler over hard mode and the rest. That's all common knowledge really. I've been playing on hard from the get go and never really had mystic artes until about 10 hours ago, and even then I don't really use it since I just main Judy. Biggest thing is, I find myself restocking on supplies constantly. What do you find impossible? The amount of HP or you're just getting owned?

Jonnyram: I'm hurt D:

cleveridea said:
What does this mean? You can make your characters reduce their damage?

Yes, you can have them do quarter, half and one damage.

TSA: Also, usually the cirumstances are the characters used, and who dealt the final hit. Besides that, it's pretty random.

My Arms Your Hearse said:

A mix of the two?

I take it you haven't seen the Rita videos yet. The new OL system allows both types to be extremely nasty.

Top Bottom