• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

I'll be waiting til 2009 with the rest of the PAL gamers. There is alot to be paying this year anyways. America, how the hell are you gonna cope with this and IU so close? You doomed!

kiryogi said:
Heh, what's with the spoiler over hard mode and the rest. That's all common knowledge really. I've been playing on hard from the get go and never really had mystic artes until about 10 hours ago, and even then I don't really use it since I just main Judy. Biggest thing is, I find myself restocking on supplies constantly. What do you find impossible? The amount of HP or you're just getting owned?

Jonnyram: I'm hurt D:

Yes, you can have them do quarter, half and one damage.

TSA: Also, usually the cirumstances are the characters used, and who dealt the final hit. Besides that, it's pretty random.

I take it you haven't seen the Rita videos yet. The new OL system allows both types to be extremely nasty.

Oh, I didn't ask what I wanted in the spoiler part, heh. I wrote out something else and didn't remove the spoiler tags.

It's just the sheer amount of HP damage being done even when blocking. However, I am Grade Grinding on my first file to carry over all my shit, which has all abilities like recover immediately after an attack, faster dodge+parry, no knock backs, etc so that I can be faster in evading and dealing damage so as to not give the enemies a chance to counter if I do my attacks right. So yeah basically if I didn't use the Overlimit+Burst+Myst, I would do a standard combo, and during the recover period I would get whammied and have to retreat for a second.

Well actually, it was more when there was a mob of 4 or more enemies and I was just getting ganged up on. Those battles were the real issue, and I'd have to rely on magic casters more for initial waves, and protect them when mobs got too close. But again, once I carry over my stuff from my Normal playthrough, Hard should be pretty standard.

New Overlimit stuff - you mean the duo system? Or that there's 4 levels of OL? Either way, the Mystic arte stuff really owns.

JSnake

Did anyone else preorder the premium edition from buy.com? I preordered with 1 day shipping and now the site says it's temporarily sold out. However the order status says "sent to warehouse." halp?

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Picked my copy up today from work, but I am not allowed to play it until tomorrow cause my GF has to play it with me =/ DAMN YOU DOUBLE EDGED BLADE OF CO-OP!

kiryogi

Banned
TSA said:
Oh, I didn't ask what I wanted in the spoiler part, heh. I wrote out something else and didn't remove the spoiler tags.

It's just the sheer amount of HP damage being done even when blocking. However, I am Grade Grinding on my first file to carry over all my shit, which has all abilities like recover immediately after an attack, faster dodge+parry, no knock backs, etc so that I can be faster in evading and dealing damage so as to not give the enemies a chance to counter if I do my attacks right. So yeah basically if I didn't use the Overlimit+Burst+Myst, I would do a standard combo, and during the recover period I would get whammied and have to retreat for a second.

Well actually, it was more when there was a mob of 4 or more enemies and I was just getting ganged up on. Those battles were the real issue, and I'd have to rely on magic casters more for initial waves, and protect them when mobs got too close. But again, once I carry over my stuff from my Normal playthrough, Hard should be pretty standard.

New Overlimit stuff - you mean the duo system? Or that there's 4 levels of OL? Either way, the Mystic arte stuff really owns.

There's the thing, you only want to block so much, at some point you want to back step or freerun to look for an opportunity. You gotta fight a little more strategic with hit and runs. Meanwhile, huge encounter links - Bad. They're pretty damn smart on hard, especially human enemies. They'll intentionally team up on you or some other character.

On the OL side of things, I mean that the ability to do skills/magic with zero delay via OL is what makes things extremely cheesy. Not to mention, if you deal enough damage, you can retrigger OL midcombo. There's videos out there of Rita just spamming Tidal Wave over and over.

JSnake said:
Did anyone else preorder the premium edition from buy.com? I preordered with 1 day shipping and now the site says it's temporarily sold out. However the order status says "sent to warehouse." halp?

help with what?

They're just not taking any more orders.

kiryogi said:
There's the thing, you only want to block so much, at some point you want to back step or freerun to look for an opportunity. You gotta fight a little more strategic with hit and runs. Meanwhile, huge encounter links - Bad. They're pretty damn smart on hard, especially human enemies. They'll intentionally team up on you or some other character.

On the OL side of things, I mean that the ability to do skills/magic with zero delay via OL is what makes things extremely cheesy. Not to mention, if you deal enough damage, you can retrigger OL midcombo. There's videos out there of Rita just spamming Tidal Wave over and over.

Well about blocking, sometimes I do the hit+run, but there is a delay after the combo where I need to recover for a second and the enemy attacks before I can get away. I guess I could do small combos with no recovery and run after that. However, there are some enemies where you can't outrun them (even with Yuri/Repede) and they have long ass range. For bosses I would run around around them in a "pinwheel" style to get them to "attack" and miss, and then attack when they were exposed, and then bail. This works on earlier bosses, and enemies, but it doesn't work later on.

Oh yeah, being able to spam in OL is great, and if you have the skill equipped, you regain OL - that's what I was doing on bosses.

JSnake said:

yes same here, and there is no update

Thank you for your order. When your order leaves the warehouse, we will send you a shipping confirmation e-mail.

and nothing else

JSnake said:
I want to know if I'll get my copy soon or if it's gonna take another who knows how long.

What I'm saying is if they're saying your particular order is sent to the warehouse you can be fairly certain it's shipping.

It would read backorder if they didn't have a copy.

Thank you for your order. When your order leaves the warehouse, we will send you a shipping confirmation e-mail.

Not that's a different story. You could be fucked there. Who knows. I'd call.

JSnake

gregor7777 said:
What I'm saying is if they're saying your particular order is sent to the warehouse you can be fairly certain it's shipping.

It would read backorder if they didn't have a copy.

Not that's a different story. You could be fucked there. Who knows. I'd call.

That quoted part is the obligatory "thanks!" email they send you as soon as you place the order. He's saying that he and I haven't gotten anything else than that.

JSnake said:
That quoted part is the obligatory "thanks!" email they send you as soon as you place the order. He's saying that he and I haven't gotten anything else than that.

Ah, you can call to be certain. If Buy has it in their warehouse, they'll be able to tell right away. If it's another vendor who actually stocks the item, then that might be a pain to track down to get an answer right away.

kiryogi

Banned
TSA said:
Well about blocking, sometimes I do the hit+run, but there is a delay after the combo where I need to recover for a second and the enemy attacks before I can get away. I guess I could do small combos with no recovery and run after that. However, there are some enemies where you can't outrun them (even with Yuri/Repede) and they have long ass range. For bosses I would run around around them in a "pinwheel" style to get them to "attack" and miss, and then attack when they were exposed, and then bail. This works on earlier bosses, and enemies, but it doesn't work later on.

Oh yeah, being able to spam in OL is great, and if you have the skill equipped, you regain OL - that's what I was doing on bosses.

On the bosses, that's mainly the key. IE
in an unknown video against Estelle. Where BTW she deals insane damage. Guy literally just waited for her to whiff even before using an item or attacking.
Other thing is to have your characters create an opening for you, then team up on the boss. IE, I always have Rita cast some fast spell, like fire ball. Which will often eventually stun them and give you an opportunity. Also, when they're in OL, run the hell away! Chip away from afar if you want with Yuri or Rita. (Anyone with some sort of projectile/range really)

Here's a nice unknown video to watch for some ideas.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm4409960

TSA said:
That's the square-box, hand-drawn animation skits triggered by the Back Button, not the end-of-battle, in-game model skits.

Rita and Estelle can become pretty powerful, and I mean, I couldn't have beaten the last 1/3 of the game without them doing their magic casting. My main party consisted of Rita doing full Artes/TP, Estelle focusing on healing and occassionally using a damage spell, Yuri and Judith doing Melee combos together. On harder bosses, I would let Rita and Estelle open with spells chaining (usually ending with Tractor Beam) and then go into a long combo with Yuri and Judith.

I mean, it's not as effective at certain points, but once I got the reduced spell casting time item, the spellcasting speed caught up with the melee and provided much better balance. Also, the 10% TP replenish and reduced TP cost items were crucial.

Sounds a lot like ToA. The problem with melee in ToA is that the AI was terrible. How is it in ToV?

Also, in ToA you had a CLEARLY superior melee character (Guy) that made the other one totally useless.

Rayne.S

Banned
Right, just sticking out my head here .... so if megaflamathon erupts that'll be the last time i add rumors to GAF period ...

Had a Square meeting today, Infinite Undiscovery, units and so on. Right after vthe official talks were over i pitched a repress of FFVII, FFVIII, and FFIX. The company i work with had arranged for represses of those titles in the past and i was certain the units i would need would please Sqaue in doing such a re-run.

Long story short, they declined in doing a re-run. Price was not an option, they were not interested. In short, all three titles were in a locked deal as a downloadable [shock horror]. Here comes the juicy part, supposedly not just for PSN.

Rayne.S said:
Right, just sticking out my head here .... so if megaflamathon erupts that'll be the last time i add rumors to GAF period ...

Had a Square meeting today, Infinite Undiscovery, units and so on. Right after vthe official talks were over i pitched a repress of FFVII, FFVIII, and FFIX. The company i work with had arranged for represses of those titles in the past and i was certain the units i would need would please Sqaue in doing such a re-run.

Long story short, they declined in doing a re-run. Price was not an option, they were not interested. In short, all three titles were in a locked deal as a downloadable [shock horror]. Here comes the juicy part, supposedly not just for PSN.

...if they said to you 'not just', surely they spilled some more details. Out with them.

kiryogi

Banned
Rayne.S said:

Uh, what's this doing in the Tales thread? Put this in a seperate topic. This is Tales of/Vesperia discussion only!

Rayne.S said:

ewok.gif

LordK

Just got my copy. The instructions are in color. I love color. The instruction are thick as well. I love thick.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
One thing though. If you didn't like Tales Of The Abyss/Symphonia stay far, far away from this game.

I personally loved both and Vesperia is looking to be even better already. But it's mostly the same thing in HD. Talking to Himuro mostly. Do not play this game. You will hate it.

Just reached the second city after getting Karol. The game is just awesome. And lol
WONDER CHEF!!!!
I get surprised each game.

FrankT

Rayne.S said:

11103eb.jpg

phez

Banned
Rayne.S said:

lolwut%5B1%5D.jpg

matmanx1

Interesting FF news but ya, wrong thread. Anyway, back on topic!

Game is beautiful! Picked it up this afternoon from my local Gamestop after being on the fence about it for awhile before release and after playing it for abit I am solidly hooked. Yet another one of those games where the demo just did not do the game justice. The starting city and characters are just gorgeous and it's clear the Tales team took the extra horsepower of the 360 to really bring their art and design to the next level. It really does feel like a "next gen" tales of Symphonia, which pleases me mightily. I am going to have alot of fun with this one. :D

Quazar

Rayne.S said:

Oh. Mr Fallout 3 PS3 exclusive person, aren't you? Damn that rumor flopped hard.

Just sticking my head in to make sure of something real quick before heading back to Vesperia.

Are there any "big" things you can miss in Vesperia? Collector's Book, etc.

2DMention

Banned
I like JRPGs in general, but turned off the Tales GBA game 3 minutes after the first battle and never turned it on again. Would I like this game? I've never played Tales game before.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
2DMention said:
I like JRPGs in general, but turned off the Tales GBA game 3 minutes after the first battle and never turned it on again. Would I like this game? I've never played Tales game before.
Not only does Phantasia sucks, but it sucks even harder on GBA.

Yes, try Vesperia!

kiryogi

Banned
2DMention said:

Definitely try out a console one before writing them off. The GBA one was a pretty bad port, and didn't age too well for most. Give the demo of Vesperia a shot if you haven't yet.

2DMention said:

Phantasia is an absolutely wonderful game, but it has aged quite a bit. I'd recommend starting with Eternia perhaps, and then moving onto Symphonia and Abyss, then perhaps backtracking to Phantasia before enjoying Vesperia.

Of course that's an awful lot of Tales to be going through, but I think it's more difficult to enjoy the previous Tales games without some respect for the series to begin with. Playing Eternia (2D) and perhaps Abyss (3D Free-Run) would give you a good deal of experience with how the series has evolved.

Basch

How would I go about getting this LE, if I was interested? :D Is it only available online, or at certain places?

mjc

I kinda wanted the LE but $10 for an album I'll never listen to and a steelbook case that just sits on my shelf...not worth it IMO.

Not to say that genuine Tales fans wouldn't like it though. ;)

Top Bottom