• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

Paznos

Pakman said:
Check your order status if you ordered from Amazon. I just checked now and my order changed to, "Shipping Soon" and says it's being prepped to ship.
Not Yet Shipped:
1 item - delivery estimate: August 28, 2008 :(

Pakman

Paznos said:
Not Yet Shipped:
1 item - delivery estimate: August 28, 2008 :(

Try ordering from beachaudio.com then. It shows they have 7 in stock. I ordered myself a second copy right before Amazon updated my status - and the stock tracker seems accurate since it was showing 8 in stock right before my order.

kiryogi

Banned
Pakman said:
Check your order status if you ordered from Amazon. I just checked now and my order changed to, "Shipping Soon" and says it's being prepped to ship.

Intersting, changed my shipping from super saver to 1 day, and now it's up to this from the 16th:

Shipment #1: Not Yet Shipped Cancel Items
Delivery estimate: September 3, 2008 (More about estimates)

Paznos

Pakman said:
Try ordering from beachaudio.com then. It shows they have 7 in stock. I ordered myself a second copy right before Amazon updated my status - and the stock tracker seems accurate since it was showing 8 in stock right before my order.
wow 54 dollars for next day shipping.

OMG at the "play" on The Happy Place Nam Island!!!! I missed it by accident when I was there originally after I beat the game. The skit Rita, Estelle, Yuri and Karol put on is awesome. Even better was how Rita acted, and her outfit! I'm still digging around in this game - I know Rita's true "feelings" for Estelle will pop out somewhere in some hidden skit eventually. Actually seeing Rita in that alt dress made her look somewhat cute, heh. Such great extras.

Paznos

Amazon Order just changed to Shipment #1: Shipping Soon

We are preparing these items for shipment and this portion of your order cannot be canceled or changed.

Wow maybe I will get it tomorrow? hehe and I was about to order it from Beachaudio.com

Pakman

Paznos said:
wow 54 dollars for next day shipping.

Haha yeah. I just did ground shipping ($8). I figured if the LE is this hard to get I can wait a week longer to get it. Also they accept paypal and google checkout - which is what I used.

Paznos said:
Order just changed to Shipment #1: Shipping Soon

We are preparing these items for shipment and this portion of your order cannot be canceled or changed.

Wow maybe I will get it tomorrow?

Nice. ;)

clashfan said:
Never played a Tales but I decided to take a chance with Vesperia. I'm about 90 minutes in and finally beat the first boss. Man he was hard. I guess I'm just not good at this game. I found the game really fun and has a really charming art style. Great so far...

Played numerous Tales games and got this one yesterday. Also 90 minutes in and just beat first boss.

Pros:

Great art design and music
Same old great Tales combat
Story and characters seem solid so far

Cons:

Loading times are bleh for the overworld
Some pop in

Overall, it's a very solid Tales game and RPG.

Jonnyram

Kai Ozu said:
Love Yuri, really cool character. He's a real man.
Yuri is one of my favourite chars in an RPG. He's never an ass, and while he may be uneducated, he knows what is right (justice is the theme of the game). Plus he's neither introvert nor extrovert. He's pretty much spot on.

Everyone who's saying Yuri is awesome...have you
seen the two instances yet where he murders Ragou and watches Cumore die
? Seriously made me question some things. But in the end, he's just upholding vigilante justice, like a cowboy. Vesperia Bebop :lol

Did any of you go back to the bar in Zaphias and see the man hit on Yuri?

Jonnyram

TSA said:
Everyone who's saying Yuri is awesome...have you
seen the two instances yet where he murders Ragou and watches Cumore die
? Seriously made me question some things. But in the end, he's just upholding vigilante justice, like a cowboy. Vesperia Bebop :lol
Of course. He's just doing what's right. That's one of the reasons I think he's great.

Eh? What? Manboobs? Those are pectoral muscles...he's really in shape for a guy. His hair and garbs make him look questionable, though. Rita is the one who had (and still kinda has) me worried. I am still expecting her somehow to turn out to be an epic trap. One of her alternate outfits - she has no boobs. I haven't seen for myself the bathing suit outfit she has (I want to see it on a HDTV, not YouTube). Rita is simply awesome, though.

Bebpo

Banned
kiryogi said:
He's probably the best male Tales lead to date. This is fun, we got FFXII, One Piece, and now Bebop. What's next?!

I like Luke more, but Yuri is really close. Both are EXCELLENT likable leads with good character arcs.

MrDaravon

kiryogi said:
Intersting, changed my shipping from super saver to 1 day, and now it's up to this from the 16th:

Shipment #1: Not Yet Shipped Cancel Items
Delivery estimate: September 3, 2008 (More about estimates)

My order has changed to shipping soon as well. However for future reference, making changes to shipping speed/address can sometimes fuck it up, so I'd keep a close eye on it.

Debating whether or not I should cancel my buy.com order quite yet (still listed as on order). Not everyone's amazon order is apparently shipping yet, worse case scenario if I wind up getting both I'm sure I can sell the 2nd copy to someone here at cost at least.

Also supposedly the CE comes with some sort of XBL redeem code inside, anyone know anything about this? Also :lol at the strategy guide; I kept hearing from people that Brady was going to "fix" it. So I looked into it, apparently a large number of copies shipped with 30 duplicate pages replacing another 30 pages. So it goes something like 1-95, 65-95, 124-150. So apparently everything regarding the last boss and sidequests is mostly missing.

Indrew

Neo Member
Loving the game so far.

Around 4 hours in, did anyone else see
a giant bird type monster in the background of the 'cursed' woods (the place where you first meet Karol)? Can I fight it now?

Indrew

Neo Member
Himuro said:
I'm still really bad at making combos...hehehe. I've only managed to make 14 hits max so far. Is that alright?

That is my current max as well. My last save happened right after you get the 4th character.

matmanx1

Himuro said:
I would like to emphasize how this game diminishes button mashing.

Yuri has to put his sword in his sheath after attacks. This means there's a total delay between animations so you have to time your normal hits and artes well to do good combos. You can't just keep button mashing, you have to time your animations in key with the enemies so you don't get attacked in mid animation, learn when to block, and when to combo. That's my style at least.

Then there's the fact you often fight a lot of enemies at once if you go for encounter links.

I am enjoying these 6 hours I've played of Tales of Vesperia more then the entirety I've played of Abyss (40 hours).

I'm still really bad at making combos...hehehe. I've only managed to make 14 hits max so far. Is that alright?

Good observation and I noticed the same thing. Totally makes you wonder about the IGN reviewer who said this game was a button masher. Did he or she play it on easy mode? I really like how the combat system takes into account animation time and feels more like a traditional "fighter" than an RPG but in the same respect if you arent playing it well you will die and or get bad grades. Skill matters and sadly, I have along way to go in that regard.

Oh and question: I got the free DLC last night but its not showing up in my game. Is it too early (I'm only a couple hours in) for me to assign those skills and such and that's why they arent showing up?

Jonnyram

They should show up straight away. Go to items then the DLC tab on the far right. I think you have to use the DLC before the stuff shows up.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
I'm starting to think this is going to be my last Team Symphonia game, I think I hate their games.

First of all, this game is basically a PS2 game running in 1280x720. The models, animation and backgrounds are HORRIBLE. It felt like it was 30 FPS as well, which would be sad considering Symphonia was a silky smooth 60 FPS. But, it's kind of a minor issue, the cel-shading allows it to look decent despite the technical setbacks (even though Enchanted Arms was more "next-gen" that this is).

Secondly, it's painful to play the slow, prodding battles after playing the Destiny remake. PAINFUL.

I guess I haven't gotten far enough the fully trash the characters and plot yet (oh but I will). The dog with the dagger and pipe is pretty sweet but an overly sheltered princess running away and hiding her identity? Really? Didn't we have that character in the last game, the main character even? Ew, major ew. And a divided class structure, in the first five minutes? I mean, this is fan fiction bad at this point. These guys need to give up on serious plots, they suck at it. They need to make something silly and non-sequitur to just string together the awesome battles.

Oh well, hopefully I'll have some better things to say about it after the extended weekend.

Princess Skittles said:
(even though Enchanted Arms was more "next-gen" that this is).

You're just saying that shit to get a rise out of people. I played that fucking game. It's not next gen in any sense of the phrase.

Come on now, Skittles. We'll get through this. Talk it out.

Take back what you said, we know you didn't mean that.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
gregor7777 said:
Take back what you said, we know you didn't mean that.
Oh, I did. I'm sure most of the vitriol comes form playing every Tales game to this point. I'll enjoy Vesperia, but it's been a case of diminishing returns with the 3D Tales games, I was really tired of Symphonia near the end, I only completed Abyss out of obligation and so far with Vesperia I just feel like I'm just continuing a forgotten save file from Abyss, that's how similar they are so far.

FoeHammer

I played for a few hours last night and I'm pretty impressed so far. The combat is pretty fun and the visuals are jaw dropping. Also, the characters are very well done so far, with great voice acting and well written dialogue.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Princess Skittles said:
Oh, I did. I'm sure most of the vitriol comes form playing every Tales game to this point.
Because obviously, playing every Tales game indeed, enables one to see through the thick veil of lies surrounding the 3D Tales games and to see them in their true colors. The colors of bad gaming.

Of course, makes sense. And of course, you are not a troll. Comparing the game to Enchanted Arms was not to rile anyone up. Yes, I see now.

PC Gaijin

My Amazon preorder for the CE is still stuck in "shipping soon" with a delivery date of tomorrow =/ If I get boned on this, I think I will just skip ToV for IU next week and wait for a price drop on ToV.

Edit: well I'll be damned. I just checked and Amazon shipped it in the last twenty minutes. There's a tracking number from UPS with a delivery of Sept. 2. Kind of bummed I won't be able to play over the long weekend, but still glad I got the CE. So those of you with backorders at Amazon may want to hang on a little longer and see if your order goes through.

Paznos

PC Gaijin said:
My Amazon preorder for the CE is still stuck in "shipping soon" with a delivery date of tomorrow =/ If I get boned on this, I think I will just skip ToV for IU next week and wait for a price drop on ToV.

Edit: well I'll be damned. I just checked and Amazon shipped it in the last twenty minutes. There's a tracking number from UPS with a delivery of Sept. 2. Kind of bummed I won't be able to play over the long weekend, but still glad I got the CE. So those of you with backorders at Amazon may want to hang on a little longer and see if your order goes through.
What type of shipping did you get?

Darkman M

I sent Amazon a big ass email last night! Anyways i wake up and get this email.

Hello from Amazon.com.

We're still trying to obtain the following item you ordered on August 09 2008 16:34 PDT (Order# 10x-0413308-234680).

"Tales of Vesperia Premium Edition"
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E1BNZU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Still want it? We'll keep on trying. To keep your order for this item open, please click the link below. Otherwise, we'll cancel your order on September 27 2008, if we haven't located it by then.

You'll still be able to cancel at any time before we ship it. If you want to cancel the item now, please click the link below:

If there are other items in your order, they'll be shipped according to the delivery estimates listed in the order details in Your Account (www.amazon.com/your-account).

By approving the new delivery estimate, you are letting us know that
you still want the item(s) though they may arrive later than expected.
If there are other items in your order, they will ship according to the
delivery estimates listed in the order details in Your Account
(http://www.amazon.com/your-account).

We apologize for the inconvenience caused by this delay.

But now my order status has changed to shipping soon and the order can't be canceled so hopefully it's here tomorrow.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Darkman M said:
I sent Amazon a big ass email last night! Anyways i wake up and get this email.

Hello from Amazon.com.

We're still trying to obtain the following item you ordered on August 09 2008 16:34 PDT (Order# 10x-0413308-234680).

"Tales of Vesperia Premium Edition"
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E1BNZU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Still want it? We'll keep on trying. To keep your order for this item open, please click the link below. Otherwise, we'll cancel your order on September 27 2008, if we haven't located it by then.

You'll still be able to cancel at any time before we ship it. If you want to cancel the item now, please click the link below:

If there are other items in your order, they'll be shipped according to the delivery estimates listed in the order details in Your Account (www.amazon.com/your-account).

By approving the new delivery estimate, you are letting us know that
you still want the item(s) though they may arrive later than expected.
If there are other items in your order, they will ship according to the
delivery estimates listed in the order details in Your Account
(http://www.amazon.com/your-account).

We apologize for the inconvenience caused by this delay.

But now my order status has changed to shipping soon and the order can't be canceled so hopefully it's here tomorrow.

Got that same e-mail. My shipping date says TBA though. :(

PC Gaijin

Paznos said:
What type of shipping did you get?

Free two day shipping via Prime.

This is probably going to anger some people who pre-ordered as soon as the CE was offered, but I didn't preorder until the 18th. I hope Amazon actually manages to fulfill everyone's preorders, especially those who ordered early.

Darkman M

PC Gaijin said:

This is probably going to anger some people who pre-ordered as soon as the CE was offered, but I didn't preorder until the 18th. I hope Amazon actually manages to fulfill everyone's preorders, especially those who ordered early.

:lol ........ Not you fault though, that's amazons incompetence my shit better be here by tomorrow though.

Paznos

PC Gaijin said:

Yeah.... I didn't order until the 20th and mine says shipping soon, but there are people who ordered on the 9th and they've been told it's delayed/backordered.

Blackjack

Paznos said:
Yeah.... I didn't order until the 20th and mine says shipping soon, but there are people who ordered on the 9th and they've been told it's delayed/backordered.
I always get a "this game has been delayed" e-mail from Amazon about two hours before I get a "we have shipped your game" e-mail.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
wtf. The models, animation, and backgrounds are fine. ESPECIALLY the backgrounds which are beautiful.
The visuals look awesome, I agree, but the animation IS really weak. It animates no differently from the older 3D Tales games.

It felt like it was 30 FPS as well, which would be sad considering Symphonia was a silky smooth 60 FPS.
Battles are 60 fps, but everything else is 30 fps (just like Abyss). I don't see why the field maps could not also have been 60, though.

stawnkald

Paznos said:

I ordered on the 9th...mine says shipping soon. So yeah. I still hate those Amazon fuckers right now though. :lol

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
My order changed to shipping soon, but the estimated delivery date is still today. My account also got charged, so I'm assuming I got it. Here's the strange thing though, my brother ordered his on the 25th and his status is shipping soon as well. Is Amazon just fucking picking names out a a hat to decide who gets one? I feel bad for those who preordered the day it became available and still haven't had the game shipped.

Also, I just called Amazon to bitch, since I paid for One Day shipping and it's obviously not arriving today, and they actually waived my shipping charge. (Only 4 bucks, but still). Hopefully it gets here tomorrow.

kiryogi

Banned
Princess Skittles said:
Secondly, it's painful to play the slow, prodding battles after playing the Destiny remake. PAINFUL.

Battles gradually get better if you will, as you progress. It's all the matter of when you will be being given full customization and tons of abilities. Not to mention, they actually did decide to cut down in the mashing with the added animations. I've had a ton of complaints about how Yuri handles like a block or so. But you just got to get used to it and rethink how you handle him. I didn't like him at first either. Because honestly, any time you missed or did something unnecessary, you were punished hard for it. (literally on hard too) Anywho, battles honestly are as hectic if not crazier now due to the enemy count. I'd go more into a rebuttal, but looks like everyone else has it covered and I got work. Plus, you're not the only person to have played every single Tales to date.

Himuro said:
Blah blah amazon fucked me over etc

Pro-tip: don't buy games from Amazon if they're new!!! This happened over and over!!!

Absolutely. What a lot of folks don't realize is that very few online retailers actually have a warehouse where they physically stock these types of items. The vast majority of them use the big distribution houses, and majority of them share inventory.

What this means is that a pool of retailers share the same inventory. So this morning I could get a feed that says I have 100 units of something, but unless I specifically call a disty and tell them I want them to hold those 100 units (or buy them outright and have them shipped to my warehouse) then someone else may sell those 100 units leaving me with a bunch of orders I can't fill.

Amazon is one of the big boys, so they have the ability to warehouse all kinds of shit, but on things like a very limited collectors edition game that was very recently announced it wouldn't surprise me at all if they were relying on someone's stock to fill their orders. That's a likely explanation on why they took more orders than they can fill.

If you stray away from Amazon, Gamestop, Best Buy and a few others and you are definitely looking at shared stock, which can bite a consumer in the ass.

For a situation like this, it's always wise to get to a physical location where you can walk out with the product.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
gregor7777 said:
For a situation like this, it's always wise to get to a physical location where you can walk out with the product.

That would have been fine. If you know, the Collector's Edition hadn't been online exclusive.

Items:
Delivery estimate: September 3, 2008 - September 8, 2008 1 of: Tales of Vesperia Premium Edition

Fuck you Amazon!!!

Has anyone gotten their Collectors Edition yet?

Oh what I go through for a tin and soundtrack...

Edit: Amazon ain't all bad. You can get the Vesperia guide for 13 dollars :)

Top Bottom