• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

Darkman M

Ermac said:
Finally, my CE shipped. Will be arriving tomorrow. Sah-weet.

Pro-tip: If you call Amazon and tell them the situation they'll waive your shipping fee. At least they did for me.:D

Nice, mine has been no preparing to be shipped since this morning still hasn't shipped yet though.

For now on i won't expect new games to be delivered in a timely manner from amazon as shitty of a company as Gamestop is my orders have always been on time online and off, to bad bad they charge $10 for overnight shipping +tax!

Id.

Tamanon said:
Nothing, you don't see what's in there, it's a secret!
When you let your imagination run wild, that makes the whole scene totally hilarious!

Feminine things!
:lol

Tamanon

Banned
I dunno how to figure out the Secret Missions, but so far I've gotten 1 and 2 from the first two real bosses as is. Unless it's because I'm doing something specific during the fight, doesn't seem to be too Secret!

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I couldnb't get the Special Edition could anyone with it let me know if the CD has the theme songs from pervious games or just stage music and such.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Warnen said:
I couldnb't get the Special Edition could anyone with it let me know if the CD has the theme songs from pervious games or just stage music and such.

Yes.
famt79.jpg

matmanx1

I really like the song playing in the intro video. Is that on the CE disk? Might have to track down that soundtrack if so. It's kinda stuck with me all day. :D

And yeah, about 5 hours in now and having a blast. Got a full team and started doing cooking and item synthesis. Getting better at the combat system. This game rocks!

Bebpo

Banned
Not really a knock on the game too much, but ever since I hit the 30 hour mark where you get full map access the game really quickly stopped being engaging. The pacing in the first 30 hours is exciting with a constant adventure filled with events and character development.

But after you get the airship, for the last few hours it's just been:
Fly across map to dungeon
Watch cutscene, do dungeon, watch cutscene, learn where next event is
Fly across map to dungeon
repeat...

It feels very stop/start instead of one continuous story. Especially since the dungeons are short, so it's like taking a 45 min pit stop and then moving to the next dot somewhere on the map. The narrative just feels disconnected and a bunch of scenes. Also doesn't help that the current villain is really lame and the worst cliche character in the story so far, especially after the people of Vesperia's world have been at least somewhat intelligent so far in their decision making.

I think what the problem stems from is that in most rpgs you journey around the entire world map before you get flight, so you're pretty much done with world exploration and the airship just allows you to reach new unaccessible locations for optional/final locations. But in Vesperia when you get the airship you've only been to like 60-65% of the map, so now you are jumping from dot to dot to explore the rest. I think it works against the narrative.

Still really enjoying the game, just can't play more than an hour or two at a time with the current narrative because it's not hooking me like the first half did.

Also I don't know how the fuck TSA beat it in 32 hours. I checked the Japanese wiki and I just finished section 4 of 6 in the main story chart. So I'm exactly 2/3rds done at 34 hours. Unlike Jonnyram, I'm not intentionally going for any of the achievements so it's not like I'm going out of my way to do anything. I haven't even started on the sub-events, as I'm saving them until pre-final dungeon like I do in every rpg (yeah I know some are time sensitive so I'll miss a few *shrug*).

goldenpp72

im lost right now, Im in the level where you get the ring that makes things glow and stuns enemies, just be a mini boss of sorts (some dude sent him after me) and im walking around aimlessly now..

Quixzlizx

My order at Amazon is still "estimated shipping September 2nd," although I'm getting paranoid with other people talking about their orders getting delayed/canceled. This sucks.

clashfan

This game must be selling pretty well because I can't find a copy at gamestop and amazon seems to backed up with orders...

Tamanon

Banned
goldenpp72 said:
im lost right now, Im in the level where you get the ring that makes things glow and stuns enemies, just be a mini boss of sorts (some dude sent him after me) and im walking around aimlessly now..

You've gotta leave the dungeon and head back to town.

LordK

goldenpp72 said:

Leave the dungeon now.

goldenpp72

clashfan said:
This game must be selling pretty well because I can't find a copy at gamestop and amazon seems to backed up with orders...

Don't assume that much, the game probably didn't ship many copies at all, some stores didn't even know it had come out.

Also thanks, I will try leaving. Did the game tell you to do that? I was on the phone so maybe I missed it.

Bebpo said:
Also I don't know how the fuck TSA beat it in 32 hours. I checked the Japanese wiki and I just finished section 4 of 6 in the main story chart. So I'm exactly 2/3rds done at 34 hours. Unlike Jonnyram, I'm not intentionally going for any of the achievements so it's not like I'm going out of my way to do anything. I haven't even started on the sub-events, as I'm saving them until pre-final dungeon like I do in every rpg (yeah I know some are time sensitive so I'll miss a few *shrug*).

I'll try tomorrow to get video of my saves so you can see the "star" icon next to two of them (signaling you beat the game) and the playtime, then go into the file and open up the menu to show "total play time" and show all my stats on the record page. I played on Normal difficulty only, no Hard. I played Symphonia and Abyss to death so I started quite familiar with the controls and combo system, and I used Yuri as my main, nearly the entire game.

Not entirely related to the above, and trying to avoid a specific spoiler here, but a pro tip would be to ensure you are leveling up all your characters in a balanced fashion...hint hint.

Tamanon

Banned
JSnake said:
Are Yuri's axes worth using? Do they control much different? I don't like axes (it's a cosmetic thing).

I haven't really seen much change whatsover, I just use whatever weapon is better or has a skill I haven't learned yet.

Jonnyram

TSA said:
Not entirely related to the above, and trying to avoid a specific spoiler here, but a pro tip would be to ensure you are leveling up all your characters in a balanced fashion...hint hint.
Is it possible to NOT level them in a balanced fashion? I mean, non-party members get decent exp anyway, but once you get the Image Training skill, they get exactly the same as people who are in the battle.

Firestorm

Mr Killemgood said:
Question for the informed:

How do you enable 2 player co-op, and assign players?
serbthe character you want to play to manual in the same character slot as the controller slot

Id.

Finally got that
secret mission 4 achievement where you're supposed to knock Zagi into the fucking water!
! It took me about 5 times to get it right, but I finally did it! :D

kiryogi

Banned
Tamanon: Yeah, secret missions are basically certain things you do during the boss battle. Not all boss battles have secret missions though. The later ones get pretty nasty, and it's even worse trying to do them on hard.

Firestorm

So yeah, EB still didn't get it in. They said they usually get shipments in around opening so I guess I'll phone after breakfast tomorrow... Interestingly enough, the guy behind me wanted Vesperia too but they were sold out.

Id.

Himuro said:
I didn't know about this until Kir told me on aim. lol Replay value!
Did you already beat him? Reload your save (if you haven't saved over it already) and enjoy the frustration of having to meet the requirement in that battle!

Or like you just said, lol replay value :lol

Firestorm said:
serbthe character you want to play to manual in the same character slot as the controller slot
You can also select Semi-Auto as it helps with targeting.

I fought the third boss in Emlaud Hill or whatever it was called. Wow, I sure wasn't expecting a mean ass fight like that. Luckily I killed him first time go, but damn that was hard. :lol

Loving the game so far. Didn't think I was going to be liking it that much.

Id.

goldenpp72 said:
im beating fucked up in the boss in ehmead hill, anyone have tips?
Get it close to one of the plants and either have it accidentally hit the plant or make Yuri hit it so the beast can stun itself and open to being knocked down.* That, or always attack him from behind after he does that dashing attack. Be sure you take out the cubs first!

You also get an achievement if you do what I just posted!

goldenpp72 said:
im beating fucked up in the boss in ehmead hill, anyone have tips?
Perseverance? :lol

j/k, but the way I did it was luckily having lots of orange and pineapple gels in stock. After getting rolled for awhile, I just set Estelle to heal and Keep Distance while hoping to eventually revive both Rita and Repede. Other than that, I just did a lot of free running and waiting until the boss did his dash attack. After that I'd hit him with a Destruction Drive > the fireball/wolf strike attack which knocked the boss down then proceeded to low attack as much as I can.

Ryence

A lot of retailers around me didn't even get any of their copies in. I think it's probably a problem with shipping.

Firestorm

Is there anywhere with the special requirements for bosses listed but the boss names spoiler tagged?

So something like:
Boss 1 (
Boss Name
): Pull off a 25 hit combo - 10 gamerpoints
Or maybe similar to this? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10111642&postcount=2

I'd like to spice up my boss fights but I don't want to have a giant unspoilered list because I just know I'll read the wrong line by mistake :(

Ryence said:
A lot of retailers around me didn't even get any of their copies in. I think it's probably a problem with shipping.
Namco hates the series. Has there been any advertisement at all outside of the 1 page ad in EGM and Game Informer? Nothing on TV? I don't see any way this game can pass Lost Odyssey with this type of marketing budget.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Ryence said:

Yeah, I called up about 6 Gamecrazy's and one of them didn't get it at all, and the others only got about five copies in. Also two of them told me they got one CE, the others didn't get any.

Firestorm

goldenpp72 said:
its not working as I end up stunning myself.. im new to tales :/
Is that the wolf from the demo? In the demo I didn't even realize the flowers stunned him. I just got rid of the henchmen first (always do this) then used those overlimit bottles they gave me... but I guess you don't have those. Definitely remember to kill the two smaller wolves first or you're gonna get overwhelmed.

Firestorm said:
Is there anywhere with the special requirements for bosses listed but the boss names spoiler tagged?

So something like:
Boss 1 (
Boss Name
): Pull off a 25 hit combo - 10 gamerpoints
Or maybe similar to this? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10111642&postcount=2

I'd like to spice up my boss fights but I don't want to have a giant unspoilered list because I just know I'll read the wrong line by mistake :(

Namco hates the series. Has there been any advertisement at all outside of the 1 page ad in EGM and Game Informer?

there's a one-page ad in GI? didn't see one.

personally, i think that they, once again, spent their budget on the localization (voiced skits) and jeapordized any advertisement.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
FateBreaker said:
there's a one-page ad in GI? didn't see one.

personally, i think that they, once again, spent their budget on the localization (voiced skits) and jeapordized any advertisement.

Yeah, I didn't see a GI one either. Just the EGM one page ad which directs you to a non-existent Tales website.

Geoff9920

Man, the Ehmead Hill Boss battle really blows. I'm calling it quits for now. This just isn't fun. Maybe I'll have better luck tomorrow.

My only gripe so far is the skits. WTF at the picture quality. The way the pics scroll are horrendous and looks so out of place in comparison to the rest of the beautiful graphics and UI. Repede looks like he was drawn using MS paint! :lol

Besides that, excellent game.

Spruchy

Geoff9920 said:
Man, the Ehmead Hill Boss battle really blows. I'm calling it quits for now. This just isn't fun. Maybe I'll have better luck tomorrow.

To be fair this is the hardest boss I have encountered so far, I think I was level 15 at the time ...make sure to use the flowers whenever the boss is in the position to do so.

Geoff9920

Spruchy said:
To be fair this is the hardest boss I have encountered so far, I think I was level 15 at the time ...make sure to use the flowers whenever the boss is in the position to do so.
I was attempting to do that, but more often than not I put me or one of my party to sleep instead. :p Thanks for the tip though.

goldenpp72

donkey show said:
My only gripe so far is the skits. WTF at the picture quality. The way the pics scroll are horrendous and looks so out of place in comparison to the rest of the beautiful graphics and UI. Repede looks like he was drawn using MS paint! :lol

noticed this too but it doesn't bother me THAT much.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Ordered the Special Edtion off of EBgames hope they ship it. Was going to buy it on ebay but someone bought the one I was looking at in the 2 mins it took me to ask my brother if I should. :lol

Loving it so far going to play it a lot this weekend.

Bebpo

Banned
donkey show said:

There's something WRONG with the framerate during the skits. Look at the mouth movements or animations. It looks like it's struggling at 5-10fps which explains the movement of the boxes as well. I wonder if it has to do with the game running in the background while the skits play. Like maybe the game is taking up 99% of the system, so it's struggling to do anything more and doing the skits gives a huge hit on performance? Just a theory...

Himuro said:
If this game keeps this up, I agree.

Well it helps that there isn't much next-gen competition in the top-tier j-rpgs =P BD/LO weren't quite at that level IMO & ES fucking sucked. Vesperia represents the first time a major j-rpg developer/franchise has hit with a fully polished HD iteration. Hopefully Tri-ace can keep up with the bar and SE gets there as well.

Top Bottom