• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

Paznos

careksims said:
I'm laughing here because all these people worrying about the CE edition. I go to Fry's today here in San Diego and what do I see? A bunch of CE's lying around. No pre-orders or anything. Can't wait to pop it in tonight!
Namco made it seem like it would only be sold only online, if I had known Fry's would have them I wouldn't have pre-ordered but oh well already have my copy.

Can someone tell me what the hell to do you for Secret Mission 8, aka
Zagi 3
? They tell me to stand here and just wait, but he kicks my ass...?

lovethisgamelovethisgamelovethisgame.

Himuro said:
Yeah, I explored sooo much when I got it. I went back to every single town in the game. I would have explored more if they would let me set out when we got to the next destination, but they won't let me.
I saved right before that happened, so when I got to Nordopolica, I just re-loaded my save and continued. :D

Tamanon

Banned
FateBreaker said:
Can someone tell me what the hell to do you for Secret Mission 8, aka
Zagi 3
? They tell me to stand here and just wait, but he kicks my ass...?

lovethisgamelovethisgamelovethisgame.

Just don't defeat him, let him keep charging his blaster, it'll explode eventually and end the battle

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Started the insanity right at the beginning of the game, nearly six hours of grinding, one on one battles, three techniques learned, several levels and thousands of gald gained and I finally got the title. Now to put the difficulty back to normal. :lol

20jl9b7.jpg

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I'm sorry but giving Yuri a black hat made all the in-game cinematics about 3x better like the scene where he blanks that one guy right after the blank, you know. Near the blank.

I don't know how to make spoilers =/.

Kinitari said:
I'm sorry but giving Yuri a black hat made all the in-game cinematics about 3x better like the scene where he blanks that one guy right after the blank, you know. Near the blank.

I don't know how to make spoilers =/.

stuff in here [/ spoiler] without the space after /

Kadey said:
Started the insanity right at the beginning of the game, nearly six hours of grinding, one on one battles, three techniques learned, several levels and thousands of gald gained and I finally got the title. Now to put the difficulty back to normal. :lol

20jl9b7.jpg
Whoa nice one. What's the prerequisites for the title anyway?

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Himuro said:
Holy fuck I am grinding the shit out of monsters because I have no money to buy Lemon Gels and Life Bottle's.

And I need those to survive hard mode.

Holy fuck.

I hate grinding. Cause it's like 3 hours of hard-ass work until you can walk up to monsters in your current area and take 0-10 damage a hit, then BAM, 15minutes further into the story, you're digging through your bags for some goddamn jelly or jam or some shit, and screaming for a nurse. *goes back to grinding*.

Angelo

Well, since everyone around here is posting his or her own impression, I thought I would go ahead and give it a try myself.

Got the game yesterday’s afternoon from Hubbagames via Amazon, Premium Edition of course, and already locked in more than 15 hours of gameplay.

~Current Progress~

I just arrived to Capue Torim, the port town that you are reach after beating
Zagi for the second time
onboard the ship. So far, I have been playing on hard difficulty from the beginning, so I had to grind my characters fiercely more than usual. My characters are between Lv.28-27, so you can imagine the amount of synthesis items and tools I was able to get thanks to the constant grinding between towns and “healthy” save points. And due to that, I have been able to master many recipes for all the characters and unlock new recipes in the process as well. There are many times when things get pretty brutal and ruthless during normal battles especially when I engage in encounter links; the enemies just have the knack in singling out Yuri and just kick the crap outta him, but so far, it has been manageable. Also, I was able to acquire Yuri’s Berserker title and Rita’s Disc Master title, the latter was really frustrating but I guess it really depends on your luck, and the Combo Master title (+100 combos) was a breeze when I battled the Eggbear boss.

~Achievements Obtained So Far~

- Secret Mission #1
- Secret Mission #2
- Secret Mission #3
- Secret Mission #4
- Eureka!
- Grand Battles
- Little Mad Scientist
- The Hit That Keeps On Hitting

~Thoughts~

The story has been pretty fun so far but still stale in terms of twists and new revelations. The characters however are pretty colorful and likable. Yuri is a total breath of fresh air in terms of a leading character and Estelle’s naiveté is adorable. Rita is just plain awesome and I like her way of teasing Karol; very funny duo indeed.

Battle-wise, I love controlling Yuri even though I kinda miss the Demon Fangs and the Tiger Blades. His combos are super effective and hit hard upon perfect execution. Estelle has turned out to be a great cleric even though she doesn’t have enough TP to cast Nurse several times in battle, so you can imagine the many times she chants First Aid incantation when her TP is almost drained out. Witnessing Rita in battle made me miss Jade from Tales of the Abyss more and more. I dunno, maybe because that stems from my own biasness since I consider Jade one of my favorite videogame characters of all time, but so far, her availability in the battlefield isn’t as crucial as Jade’s. I shall reserve my judgment until I unlock her advanced spells. Karol is like a male version of Presea but slightly better since he comes with some nice recovery attacks that really saved me several times when I’m engaging against hordes of monsters. Repede is…Repede, he proved to be a great frontline battler but so far, nothing special.

Of course there are many things I wanna talk about but I’ll save some for later.

Aeana

I'm a ways into the game, now... I'm just about to set out for Dahngrest. I'm not too big on Tales games, as most people know, but I'm enjoying this one a good amount. My only problem is that I'm just barely scraping by in battles, because the intricacies (I guess) of the combat system escape me. I'm still just doing the standard B B B <arte> combo since I don't know what else to do, although if I get the opportunity, I'll do a
fatal strike
thing, but regular enemies seem to die too quickly, and I'm always busy reviving people in boss fights, so I rarely get the chance. :\

Id.

I just took out the first
Giganto Monster (got the achievement, too!)
. Talk about awesome! I almost died against that thing!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Aeana said:
I'm a ways into the game, now... I'm just about to set out for Dahngrest. I'm not too big on Tales games, as most people know, but I'm enjoying this one a good amount. My only problem is that I'm just barely scraping by in battles, because the intricacies (I guess) of the combat system escape me. I'm still just doing the standard B B B <arte> combo since I don't know what else to do, although if I get the opportunity, I'll do a
fatal strike
thing, but regular enemies seem to die too quickly, and I'm always busy reviving people in boss fights, so I rarely get the chance. :\

When do you learn about Fatal Strikes? I'm at the port town Capue Torim right now.

Jonnyram

Aeana said:
fatal strike
Same here, not a big fan of Tales games but loving this one. BTW, if you want a better idea of what to do in battles, try setting Yuri (or whoever you control) to auto (in the Arte screen), then watch as the AI takes over. If you go into the strategy menu, and make a custom strategy like "keep TP above 50%, keep HP above 50%, aim for FS, use OL as much as you want" you'll get a good idea of how to fight. I usually mash B and combo in artes anyway, but watching the CPU play is good for reference once in a while (and it's also a great way to discover modified artes later, since you don't need to set the shortcuts).

Dunno if this was asked already, it's a pretty long thread to trawl through... is this game region-locked, or will the US version work on my PAL 360? I don't *really* want to wait until 2009 for this...

kiryogi

Banned
Jonnyram: I'm finally there! @ Secret Mission 17. Uh.. what am I looking for exactly?
I mean I know what I'm supposed to do, but I can't seem to break his guard at all! Am I missing the animation?

Jonnyram

kiryogi said:
Jonnyram: I'm finally there! @ Secret Mission 17. Uh.. what am I looking for exactly?
I mean I know what I'm supposed to do, but I can't seem to break his guard at all! Am I missing the animation?
It's really retarded. There are about two or three combinations that people have found that will remove the guard. The way I did it was
Yuri OVL > &#29190;&#30741;&#38499; x 6. Don't do it more than 6 times, and make sure everyone else stops attacking when you do this.
If you get it right, there'll be a different animation than his usual recoil and that's when you need to hit. Make sure you don't have the arte modifier turned on lolcry

2DMention

Banned
Got out of town and had some trouble beating the
secret mission #1
boss. Had to grind a level to beat him.

Liking the game so far, the fights seem pretty easy. Your dog companions reminds me of the party in Suikoden III. Is there any way to control the other characters?

One thing I've noticed is that there isn't big fanfare when you level. In fact, they don't even tell you when you level.

Aeana

2DMention said:
Got out of town and had some trouble beating the
secret mission #1
boss. Had to grind a level to beat him.

Liking the game so far, the fights seem pretty easy. Your dog companions reminds me of the party in Suikoden III. Is there any way to control the other characters?

One thing I've noticed is that there isn't big fanfare when you level. In fact, they don't even tell you when you level.

Eh? You can tell if you level if you don't press B to skip the results at the end. Press A instead and you'll see everybody level.

Android18a said:
Dunno if this was asked already, it's a pretty long thread to trawl through... is this game region-locked, or will the US version work on my PAL 360? I don't *really* want to wait until 2009 for this...

region locked!!

2DMention

Banned
Aeana said:
Eh? You can tell if you level if you don't press B to skip the results at the end. Press A instead and you'll see everybody level.

Oppsie-daisy. I always hit B.

It is ok if I call this game "Tales of Vespa?" It's easier to say.

Vespa.jpg

JSnake

Himuro said:
Who's fucking idea was it to put cutscene after cutscene with no cutscene skip feature, with an entire section of fights, leading up to a boss fight, without a save point any where to be found? You can't even go back to save. This all takes about 30 minutes.

Fuck you namco.

Suck my balls.

BTW, you should be around level 38 at that point. Try switching to easy at that point. The ridiculous-ness of that whole thing justified the switch for me.

Paznos

Himuro said:
Who's fucking idea was it to put cutscene after cutscene with no cutscene skip feature, with an entire section of fights, leading up to a boss fight, without a save point any where to be found? You can't even go back to save. This all takes about 30 minutes.

Fuck you namco.

Suck my balls.
Hold X+A it at least somewhat interrupts them and makes them faster.

McDragon said:
game is extremely polished when compared to other next gen rpgs, menu is swift and smooth.

Except the overworld is slow, clunky and looks like <shane>something from a previous gen system.</shane> It's no big deal of course (the turning speed is annoying), and I probably wouldn't have even noticed if I hadn't played BD right before this. BD has the most slick presentation of the world map in any RPG to date, I think.

Oh, and not being able to skip past cutscenes is a PITA when they're right before a boss fight.

Other than those two very minor gripes, this game has been outstanding in it's presentation.

Ricker

I see no level up yet for Yuri...I did hit "A" once,instead of "B" but it did the same thing...? unless i hadn't levelled up but when i do,it's "A" instead of "B"...is that what you guys are saying?

Also i'll ask one more time because i'm still not sure how the skills work,especially the trial kit's for Yuri and Estelle i got from the Live Marketplace...how do i use the one that don't give any stat increases to my character,like "recover' for example?...and when the short cut or regular command for battles says only "LS",does it mean pushing in "LS" or what?...also sometimes Yuri walks instead of running for a few seconds....why?

About skipping cutscenes: No, you can't outright skip them, but if you hold A and X at the same time, it scrolls through the dialogue faster.

A skip option would have been better, though.

I'm really intrigued by the look of this game. Question: is this accessible for a relative JRPG noob like me, or is it aimed more at the initiated/hardcore crowd?

Gary Whitta said:
I'm really intrigued by the look of this game. Question: is this accessible for a relative JRPG noob like me, or is it aimed more at the initiated/hardcore crowd?

Length-wise is leans very much to the hardcore (reported to be 80hrs long)

gameplay, I'd say it's very accessible....especially the battle system

Spruchy

AgentOtaku said:
Length-wise is leans very much to the hardcore (reported to be 80hrs long)

gameplay, I'd say it's very accessible....especially the battle system

This is not an 80 hour game.......unless you do every sidequest and play it twice.

Victrix

*beard*
Couple questions

Last jrpg I really enjoyed was DQ8. I got through three discs of Lost Odyssey before I gave up in disgust.

How is this game in terms of characters, story, and technical issues (load times). I already know I like the combat, as I really enjoyed various Tales Of games in the past, and I played the demo, so I like the combat (and the graphics) here, I'm more concerned about dreadful jrpg cliches in terms of story and characterization.

Tamanon

Banned
Wow, that was random, while grinding some synth items outside of Nordopolica, I stayed at the inn after a conversation and learned a new Arcane Arte Shining Eagle. It's very nice for Finishing Artes.

Gary Whitta said:

I think so. The combat is similar to a 2D fighter and the game introduces new aspects of the combat system gradually so you should never feel overwhelmed. It also has different difficulty settings that can be changed on the fly so you can ratchet down the difficulty if you're still getting your sea legs. And the game automatically keeps a log of story events so if you're ever unsure of where you need to go next to advance the story, you can check the log and will tell you, "And they headed out to the northeeast from Chicago to reach New York."

xray49er

i jusr rented this game to play with my wife but i have no instruction manual.CCan someone please tell me how to assign a party member to be human controlled

kiryogi

Banned
xray49er said:
i jusr rented this game to play with my wife but i have no instruction manual.CCan someone please tell me how to assign a party member to be human controlled

ray: in the artes screen, use LB/RB and switch over to the char you want to be human controlled. Switch their control from Auto to Manual.

And realistically everyone else here, it's more of a 30-40 hour game. 80+ is sidequesting and whatnot.

Ricker

So far i like Estelle...got a few of my questions answered playing the game more,just got to the second town and they explain the skills a little better now.The game is gorgeous,and i try to read every skit i see,they are actually well done so far.

Gary Whitta said:

very accesible. for example, one of my friends, a PC-RPG-guru (aka mr. lol console RPGs), is digging it.

Retrofluxed

I'm looking for a synth item, but can't find the mobs that drop them. Can anyone tell me who/what drops
Red Lenses (I believe thats what they are called)?

kiryogi

Banned
goat said:
I'm looking for a synth item, but can't find the mobs that drop them. Can anyone tell me who/what drops
Red Lenses (I believe thats what they are called)?

Leviathan's Claw members drop them. If you decide to take a detour from Kiev Moc when you have to go there, you can find their HQ and their lackies running around.

Top Bottom