• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

Firestorm

Farore said:
Q: Are the secrets missions easy to miss [and are they one-chance-only]?
Secret Missions are just special conditions to fulfill during boss fights. What I'm doing right now is going to gamefaqs every boss battle and going ctrl+f for 'secret mission #' in the cheats section. Yeah it's one-chance-only unless you do another playthrough I guess as they're only on boss fights.

I can't believe I already messed up my monster book. Stupid whats-his-face with his two part battle. First boss. I didn't have enough lenses -_-

Threi

notag
Yeah i think this will be my first 360 game :D

if i have money left over from budget-priced crackdown and dead rising

2DMention

Banned
Nobody but Gamestop seems to have this game. I'll tried Wal*Mart, Circuit City, Best Buy.

I'd like to use a coupon at the last two places, but I'd also like to have this game for Labor Day weekend. I guess I'll have to pay full price @ gamestop.

That's funny - Best Buy has it on their website too.

I didn't think this game was niche enough to be sold @ GS only.

Tamanon

Banned
Case said:
dont they change stats growth?

I can't find anything whatsoever that leads me to think that. Even the official guide just says they can change appearance. I know Symphonia changed your stat growth and Abyss did minor changes to combat stuff, but nothing on this game it seems.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
grandjedi6 said:
Ah the traditional Tales big breast joke. Where would the series be without it?

Yep, it isn't a Team Symphonia if there are no characters joking about the bustline of another one.

Here is one of many from Tales of the Abyss

Kryptonic

2DMention said:
Nobody but Gamestop seems to have this game. I'll tried Wal*Mart, Circuit City, Best Buy.

I'd like to use a coupon at the last two places, but I'd also like to have this game for Labor Day weekend. I guess I'll have to pay full price @ gamestop.

That's funny - Best Buy has it on their website too.

I didn't think this game was niche enough to be sold @ GS only.

Yeah I wasn't able to find the game at walmart or fred meyer.
Nearest gamestop is like 60 miles away so I just ordered it from amazon.

kiryogi

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
Ah the traditional Tales big breast joke. Where would the series be without it?

Well, Team Destiny didn't really have any well-endowed characters. Inomata usually had some rather proper looking designs, until Hearts. So yeah, it's definitely more of a Fujishima/Team Symphonia thing.

kiryogi

Banned
Tamanon said:
Out of curiousity, is there any penalty for playing the game on Easy or Normal?

None, just that on hard you get that x1.00 grade multiplier. And it's so much more of a challenge, especially when trying to do a secret missions. (Soooo many gameovers)

Big-E

Gattuso worked me like no tomorrow. Was finally able to beat him though it took many tries. Did anyone have an easy time with him?

JSnake

Big-E said:
Gattuso worked me like no tomorrow. Was finally able to beat him though it took many tries. Did anyone have an easy time with him?

I didn't lose a single party member. Was level 15. Normal difficulty.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
kiryogi said:
Well, Team Destiny didn't really have any well-endowed characters. Inomata usually had some rather proper looking designs, until Hearts. So yeah, it's definitely more of a Fujishima/Team Symphonia thing.

That's why I said it was a Team Symphonia thing, after all they are batting 3/3 so far with having a token buxom female.

Symphonia - Sheena
Abyss - Tear
Vesperia - Judith

Princess Skittles said:
Indeed. We should see how many of the clichés I joked about in the Tales of Hearts thread are in Vesperia.

I love SOME of the skits in Tales; deep insights into personal interaction and insight into mindsets, and the great witty comedy. Unfortunately, like you quoted, the rest of the skits are this trite garbage that feels like a Playskool version of the great characters you've led thru the adventure so far.

Yuri is fuckawesome. I've been fed-the-fuck-up with snarky holier-than-thou little shit protagonists who tell everyone else they're wrong and their worldviews are right, then by deus ex machina they end up right by no hand of their own as the plot winds down.

Yuri got this much more worldweary feel to him; when he says what he says it's worth listening to, and he's badass when he does it.

Liking it so far...I like Yuri as the lead. He's not annoying.

Graphics are crisp. Very nice to look at.

One gripe so far: Yuri's voice sounds a little...faded...compared to the rest. Not sure if it's just my imagination. Kind of "off-in-the-distance" type of faded.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Threi said:
yo dudes.

So how is the game's learning curve? I have played many a RPG in my time but this will (might) be my first Tales game.

Can someone explain the combat system?

Its a very easy RPG to pick up. The combat is real time and is akin to an old school 2d fighter. You have an attack button and a magic button that along with what direction you hold will trigger high/low combos or diffrent magic attacks. I love it, simple and fun.

Beezy

Man, voiced skits makes this game so much more enjoyable. There better be voiced skits in every Tales game that gets released over here from now on. They always seemed like a chore before.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Beezy said:
Man, voiced skits makes this game so much more enjoyable. There better be voiced skits in every Tales game that gets released over here from now on. They always seemed like a chore before.

Agreed any word if the Wii Tales(Symphonia 2) game will have them?

kiryogi

Banned
Warnen said:
Agreed any word if the Wii Tales(Symphonia 2) game will have them?

Yes. But the future overall I imagine prob depends on sales. Namco Hometek before never really was big on the budget for the localization.

KingJ2002

finally got this game in the mail from gamefly today and i must say... this is probably one of the most enjoyable role playing experiences i've had ever... i can see why they say this is the first great rg for the 360... it's a much better game than blue dragon and eternal sonata... it's like they smashed both games together and put in a great story.

i hope this game is long... im going to be playing this and soul calibur iv till midnight club: los angeles comes out

KingJ2002

Firestorm said:
Oh wow.
Goliath
, the boss in the area right after meeting
Rita
is kicking my ass.

if you're in the underground area in the ruins... use yuri's wolf strike (i think that's what it's called... it's an arte that knock's down your emeny... it's automatically set to forward + a button) if you run behind him and use it... it's a garunteed knockdown... once done.. rita's magic along with everyone attacking like crazy should finish him off pretty easily. I was at level 15 when i faught him.

Firestorm

KingJ2002 said:
if you're in the underground area in the ruins... use yuri's wolf strike (i think that's what it's called... it's an arte that knock's down your emeny... it's automatically set to forward + a button) if you run behind him and use it... it's a garunteed knockdown... once done.. rita's magic along with everyone attacking like crazy should finish him off pretty easily. I was at level 15 when i faught him.
Hm. I'm level 9. I don't think I have that yet.
Edit: yay, levelled to 11, got ability, and beat him + got achievement

I'll be honest. Considering I'm not a Tales series fan at all, I really love Vesperia. Charming and extremely fun are probably the best ways to describe this game.

Firestorm

Shit. You guys are right. Ehmead Hill is a lot harder this time around. I still got to the boss within like 1 minute, but damn. I never died in the demo but he ripped my ass to shreds. I'm level 12 =/ I keep targetting the flowers by mistake instead of his henchmen. This overlimit as soon as the match starts thing is bullshit.

Firestorm said:
Shit. You guys are right. Ehmead Hill is a lot harder this time around. I still got to the boss within like 1 minute, but damn. I never died in the demo but he ripped my ass to shreds. I'm level 12 =/ I keep targetting the flowers by mistake instead of his henchmen. This overlimit as soon as the match starts thing is bullshit.

i just did this
get up to lvl 15 at least.

get rita to spam fireball and ol.

One oddball comment...coming in straight from Blue Dragon.

Blue Dragon's world map shits all over this one.

It's effective, but BD's overworld map is so beaufitful it's kind of a shock diving right into this.

Very fun game thus far, about 4-5 hours in.

Ricker

Even after reading all the manual this morning,i'm still confused a bit about the skills and the chained stuff and how to chain artes to improve and get new artes(the manual has a lot of typo's as well),like "set SP to skill points"???... also not sure about the skill/trial sets i downloaded from the Marketplace...i see them in the menu but what the hell do i do with them...granted I just beat the first Boss,and just met Estellise(she is not even in my party yet... but sometimes i'm slow on controls at the beginning of RPG's,at the "tutorial fight" with the 2 guards,i was reading the instructions and just pressing "Y" instead of actually doing it :lol :D

Geoff9920

Firestorm said:
Yeah, I hate to recommend it, but you're probably a bit under leveled at the moment and grinding might be your best bet.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Yay, finally got my amazon order. A couple hours in and Yuri seems solid, but Estelle....jesus fuck. BRING BACK JADE!!!!

MrHicks said:
is the asia version compatible with PAL?
play asia has a question mark sooo seems its not tested yet

anyone know?

I seriously doubt it mate. The Asian (Japanese language) version is locked and so is the US version. Can't see the Asian (English Language) version being any different.

MrHicks

Banned
kobashi100 said:
I seriously doubt it mate. The Asian (Japanese language) version is locked and so is the US version. Can't see the Asian (English Language) version being any different.

aw shit
is this even coming to euroland?

Top Bottom