• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

dollartaco said:
When do sidequests start? I'm just past, um, meeting Duke and I haven't had anything not relating to the main quest line.
They are really hidden in this game. Like I mentioned earlier, I had just picked up on getting Yuri's Tiger Blade arte @ level 75. I could have got that when I was like 15 or 20. =( I also found out that I can't finish the rest of the quest because certain areas are no longer available end game.

Anyway, start revisiting every town and talking to everyone. I've learned many different artes because of it. I think you can still do the quest I messed up on. Head back to Zaphias (the capital) and enter the royal quarter. Someone should be asking you about a man named Clay.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Question for you LE owners, was your metal box's spine attached upside down (so the xbox logo was at the bottom and the tip of the star inside was flipped)? Just got mine today and had to flip the plastic inside so now the Discs are on the side of the manual now.

I'm a box whore and this stuff pisses me off, specail for an $80 game

Darkman M

Warnen said:
Question for you LE owners, was your metal box's spine attached upside down (so the xbox logo was at the bottom and the tip of the star inside was flipped)? Just got mine today and had to flip the plastic inside so now the Discs are on the side of the manual now.

I'm a box whore and this stuff pisses me off, specail for an $80 game

:lol

nah i dont think so.

Jonnyram

Fuck you, rare items. There are way too many in this game!
At least the gigants seem to be dropping every time I fight one now, but the shit like squid ink (the hq one) and bear claws... :(

kiryogi

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Fuck you, rare items. There are way too many in this game!
At least the gigants seem to be dropping every time I fight one now, but the shit like squid ink (the hq one) and bear claws... :(

About that... I heard there's a harvest point that drops Gigant items... :eek: Kouli spoke about how he abused it daily.

From the SW desert, go to the central west and look hard into the water for a shell.

Haven't done it myself personally...

Aeana

Plot twist! That was totally unexpected. I also just used my first mystic arte, and got an "advanced combo user" title. Yay.

yeb

Himuro said:
I learned a few recipes thanks to Aeana tonight!

Guys, have Yuri master sorbet until he learned pudding, when he masters pudding he learned cake. Cake heals like 30% TP!

She also gave this tip:

Onigiri by mastering sandwich with Estelle, beef bowl by mastering onigiri with Yuri. Master beef bowl with Karol to get access to omrice, and master that with Karol to learn meat sauce.

Cookery!
D'oh, I had Yuri master Sandwich and Estelle master Sorbet. Can I still learn those recipes with different characters? Do I just need to have the right ingredients for the new recipe in my inventory?

Blackjack

yeb said:
D'oh, I had Yuri master Sandwich and Estelle master Sorbet. Can I still learn those recipes with different characters? Do I just need to have the right ingredients for the new recipe in my inventory?
All you have to do is have Estelle make the sandwich after battle until it says a new recipe is available. Same with all the other offshoot recipes. But only Estelle gives you the Rice Ball recipe, and so forth. You don't even need to master it. I got the pudding recipe after the third time Yuri made Sorbet.

SuperPac

OK so I downloaded the couple free items from the XBLM. But it's not exactly clear what you do in-game to grab them. Far as I can tell they're not in my inventory. So...what do I do?

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
SuperPac said:
OK so I downloaded the couple free items from the XBLM. But it's not exactly clear what you do in-game to grab them. Far as I can tell they're not in my inventory. So...what do I do?
Use L and R to navigate to your Xbox Live items in the item menu.

well amazon shipping sucks, got my premium edition with a dent on the back. Not knowing whether amazon would pull through (was still backordered at the time) I also ordered from buy.com and this premium edition just arrived and its flawless.

so now I have 2 premiums :lol

Himuro said:
I learned a few recipes thanks to Aeana tonight!

Guys, have Yuri master sorbet until he learned pudding, when he masters pudding he learned cake. Cake heals like 30% TP!

She also gave this tip:

Onigiri by mastering sandwich with Estelle, beef bowl by mastering onigiri with Yuri. Master beef bowl with Karol to get access to omrice, and master that with Karol to learn meat sauce.

Cookery!

Actually, you don't have to master any of them. I just randomly got beef bowl, meat sauce, etc from cooking, two of which I only had to cook once to get the next recipe. And then Pudding/Cake took me multiple successes, even after mastering the recipe.

eznark

Banned
so, I'm like 30-40 minutes in. The first two antagonists...really? Two transvestites? Is that how all the villains are?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Firestorm said:
Nope. None of us even knew it'd be coming with the CE until we started getting them and as you've seen, the website gives us no information.

Thanks for the reply. Wasn't sure if it was just me that didn't know about this, or if all of us got caught off guard.

MCD

i don't like estelle but i need her first aid and rita is cute.

so it's the dog or karol, who should i pick...i like the dog more but karol might come in handy later, thoughts?

Darkman M

McDragon said:

so it's the dog or karol, who should i pick...i like the dog more but karol might come in handy later, thoughts?

Either one will do because your characters level even if they are not in battle, once you get further in the game you can switch karol or repede out with a better melee character once they become available.

Estelle may be somewhat annoying but shes a great asset in battle, and of course your gonna always wont Rita with her godly spells.

MCD

Darkman M said:
Either one will do because your characters level even if they are not in battle, once you get further in the game you can switch karol or repede out with a better melee character once they become available.

Estelle may be somewhat annoying but shes a great asset in battle, and of course your gonna always wont Rita with her godly spells.
nice.

and yeah, i need Estelle healing abilities or i will be spending apple gels like crazy, this game is tough even on normal.

Tamanon

Banned
Karol gets the weird healing artes in Nice Aid Smash. I just keep Estelle in it, my normal party is Yuri, Rita, Estelle, Judith.

Himuro said:
How do you get a mystic arte?

Power it to three arrows? What?

You look for the ability "special" on some weapons. Though I think one of them has to be gained through a quite missable event (Karol's). This lets you perform mystic artes.

As you use Raven's Love Shot (and Dark Chase) they power up to three arrows and four arrows respectively (an addtional arrow every 100 uses).

Love Shot is nice healing because it is instant.

Himuro said:
My team right typically is: Yuri, Estelle, Rita, and Judy.

I'd ditch Yuri or Judith and replace with Raven (also, with three mages, Repede is amazing with Victory Spear).

But the game is easy enough to do whatever, though when I get around to doing Unknown (as soon as I finish getting an item or two on this playthrough) that might change.

However, I'm experimenting with Karol as healing and just ditching Estellise and her HORRIBLE AI. Her spells are surprisingly weak as well (Tear and Raine DESTROY her in every way).

Himuro said:
Why would I want to replace Raven with Judith or Yuri? Yuri is fun to play as, and Judy is a beast at melee.

The game isn't easy in the least for me. Normal enemies are quite difficult at times on hard mode, and the giganto monsters and normal bosses give me a run for my money.

100 hours total.

Because melee AI is stupid and hard to control. Also, much better TP management even when they go all out. Melee characters only really stand out when they are manually controlled, and when you have two they often mess each other up (good option for co-op though). Spells stunlock enemies and bosses allowing you free reign to pummel them. Caster is being attacked? The run away. Your dumb melee AI? They just sit there and die (because you're using Estelle, and she's a fucking moron).

If you're having trouble... it's probably because your other melee guy is taking a constant beating. Raven's Havoc Gale spell is GODLY (though I wish it didn't throw the enemies, but syncing with Rita's spells solves the issue). When you just have the one melee guy your job is more to distract and avoid then go all out when the spells start flying. It's also just a lot of fun when giant spells are constantly launching.

But really, Repede is the best option in such a setup. Many of Raven's spells (and one of Estelle's) gather the enemy is a tight formation and keep them there. Well, really, so do Rita's spells. Spells in general just lock the enemy down (but those specifically do GATHER the enemy together, not just hold them where they were)

Repede's Victory Spear DECIMATES in these situations (mine does 10-18k per Victory Spear to everyone in range for just 14 TP and you can get 2 or 3 off during a Havoc Gale). Judy and Yuri are both more of 1 on 1 fighters while Repede is adept at handling lots of enemies at once (he also has a ton of useful knockdown abilities vs. bosses).

Of course, lately I've replaced Estelle with Karol, but only because I'M REALLY SICK of her terrible AI and weak spells.

You should at least try him out once he has Havoc Gale (which is much better than the altered form Tempest-whatever).

Warnen

Dunno if anyone else is intrested but if you want the full version of the intro song its up on iTunes Bonnie Pink "Ring a Bell"

I love this game :D

AndresON777

shooting blanks
McDragon said:

I love Rita's outfit. But I rock the dog (Repede) he's helped me out a lot on the bosses...he's a beast and just non stop attacks the enemies...at least till I get the other characters I love using him...I dont like the little boy though...I havnt used him at all unless it's a surprise encounter and I'm stuck with him.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Warnen said:
Dunno if anyone else is intrested but if you want the full version of the intro song its up on iTunes Bonnie Pink "Ring a Bell"

I love this game :D

Hey dude if I download that from Itunes can I burn it on a cd (I'm an old man and I've never had an Ipod)

Warnen

ChrisGoldstein said:
Hey dude if I download that from Itunes can I burn it on a cd (I'm an old man and I've never had an Ipod)

If you want to do that just Google the name sure you can find it to download with out the itune security.

Matter of fact I just did and I see it. Don't want to post a link dunno if that would be against the rules or something.

Top Bottom