• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

kiryogi

Banned
Congrats, but really? what did you think? Hasn't been that bad since Legendia right? :p

And finally, it's here! Completion!

vescomplete.png

My most expensive faceplate yet... To note, the script contains the first 1/3 of the game.

vesfaceplate.png

duckroll

kiryogi said:
My most expensive faceplate yet... To note, the script contains the first 1/3 of the game.

So basically, the only part of the story that matters! :D

Okay, the rest was pretty entertaining too, but it's too bad it had to fall back on the Tales formula! :(

Tamanon

Banned
Dammit, quit throwing Flynn on things making me think he'll eventually join when I know he won't!

The dude even has the traditional Tales moveset!

mugwhump

Just started using Judy, any tips? What are her jump cancel+air jump skills good for?

Tamanon said:
Dammit, quit throwing Flynn on things making me think he'll eventually join when I know he won't!

Does anyone else get the feeling they'd planned to have flynn join at one point in development, then decided not to later on?

kiryogi

Banned
Tamanon said:

I'm actually thinking they'll add him in the PS3 port. similar to the Eternal Sonata additions. :D

duckroll

kiryogi said:
I'm actually thinking they'll add him in the PS3 port. similar to the Eternal Sonata additions. :D

Actually, if they were to add Flynn to a future port or Director's Cut re-release or whatever, it might be something like what Shadow Hearts 2 Director's Cut did. Pick a certain point in the story where Flynn, Sodia and Witcher are off on a specific mission, and make the entire segment + dungeon playable with that party for about 1-2 hours. I think that makes the most sense. Otherwise it'll be hard to fit him in as a party member storywise. It would be out of character too.

If they want even more content, just have a bunch of those stages. You can even reuse dungeons and stuff, since Flynn is always either in front of Yuri or behind him, location wise. :lol

mjc

So Flynn never joins your party? Major fucking bummer. Every time I see him I keep hoping that he'll jump on board with the rest but he just keeps leaving.

yeb

mugwhump said:
Just started using Judy, any tips? What are her jump cancel+air jump skills good for?
I was just about to comment on how I dislike Jump Cancel because it makes you jump too quickly sometimes, and how I've seen Air Jump used to extend aerial combos but I couldn't figure out how they jump so quickly after an aerial arte...

I really love the skill system in this game. Excuse me as I go test upwards attacks -> aerial attacks -> Moonlight Talon -> Rising Luna Rondo -> Jump Cancel w/ Air Jump -> aerial attacks -> ???

kiryogi

Banned
yeb said:
I was just about to comment on how I dislike Jump Cancel because it makes you jump too quickly sometimes, and how I've seen Air Jump used to extend aerial combos but I couldn't figure out how they jump so quickly after an aerial arte...

I really love the skill system in this game. Excuse me as I go test upwards attacks -> aerial attacks -> Moonlight Talon -> Rising Luna Rondo -> Jump Cancel w/ Air Jump -> aerial attacks -> ???

You need the jump cancel to get out of an aerial arte quickly. You hold up when you want to get out of it. Essentially, to really work with Judy, you'll need all her aerial artes, air jumps, landing, jump cancel, aerial combo, and aerial cancellers. Check Swilos videos on youtube for some chain ideas.

kiryogi

Banned
Case said:
have a link?

Study well. He's prob the most advanced domestic tales player so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9EOC2xnxYk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYes_3m7pVY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxwADSEdkZM&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxwADSEdkZM&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so8IDJ9dSgI

Been following his judy combos since the first vid. He also has stuff on the other chars too.

Oh other thing, some things for Judy requires a wall, but as you can see in his other videos, that's not always the case either. The wall thing though , was first noted in the Namco superplay.

yeb

kiryogi said:
You need the jump cancel to get out of an aerial arte quickly. You hold up when you want to get out of it. Essentially, to really work with Judy, you'll need all her aerial artes, air jumps, landing, jump cancel, aerial combo, and aerial cancellers. Check Swilos videos on youtube for some chain ideas.
I love experimenting with combos, especially with Judy, so I don't really need any ideas on how to link things together. I just had never thought of using Jump Cancel and Air Jump together, which basically lets you double the length of aerial combos.

My only problem is that I'm still used to holding up a lot of the time instead of just pressing it when I need it, so I'm still having earlier jump cancels than what I want. While accidentally jumping though, I realized Luna Rise and some other artes work extremely well even when I'm an inch above the ground, leading to more fun combos.

poweld

I don't own Vesperia, but I was browsing the marketplace just now...

Am I the last to hear about this DLC? Can you really buy your levels and money for this game? This is kinda blowing mah damn mind o_o

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
mugwhump said:
Where can I get gentleman's bowties?

Also where can I get Raven and Karol's origonal weapons?

There's a rocky island you can land on that has nothing on it but Gentlemen to kill. If you come back at certain points(Raining, Night, etc.) different variants roam around, but I think they all drop the bowties.

I think the original weapons can't be found/bought again if you sold them off.

Sushen

Bebpo said:
So at the end of the day my main problem with Vesperia is that while the game is 60 hours+, you pretty much complete/master the gameplay at 30-35 hours in, which leaves 20-30 hours of just doing the same old, same old every battle as you go from A->B in the dungeons and watch a little plot advancement and there's just not anything to look forward to that gives that 'pull' that makes you not want to leave your seat and to just keep playing for hours.
I challenge you to name one RPG that doesn't do that. I've played quite a few ones including pretty much all major ones, and it's inevitable that the pacing slow down as you reach to the finish line. In fact, giving you solid 30+hours is rather rare in my experience.

mugwhump

What's magic attack do for yuri and Judy?
Papercuts said:
There's a rocky island you can land on that has nothing on it but Gentlemen to kill. If you come back at certain points(Raining, Night, etc.) different variants roam around, but I think they all drop the bowties.

I think the original weapons can't be found/bought again if you sold them off.
Thanks. But I bought the origonal weapons for everyone but Karol/Raven... I dunno where I'd get another Karolian hammer though :/

Spruchy

Son of Godzilla said:
As someone who has no particular preference either way for any of their traits, I'm guessing this turned out to be better than IU?

Unsurprisingly it looks that way.

Think I might start my second play through (deemed the uber play through where I hit every side quest/ secret mission) this weekend.

2DMention

Banned
biggkidd32 said:
Can't find this game at stores. Anyone having similar issues?

Seems like a niche game. I couldnt' find it @ Wal*Mart, Target, or any of those places.

You might try K-Mart. They seem to carry obscure games nowadays.
Gamestop/EB as a last resort.

Firestorm

2DMention said:
Seems like a niche game. I couldnt' find it @ Wal*Mart, Target, or any of those places.

You might try K-Mart. They seem to carry obscure games nowadays.
Gamestop/EB as a last resort.
I'd try GameStop/EB first as that would have the best chance of having the game. I saw some a few days ago at Future Shop here.

duckroll

Okay, here are some impressions of what I felt about ToV after beating it:

Pros:

+ Great characters, and probably the most likeable Tales lead ever. I didn't always agree with Yuri, but it's really hard not to LIKE him. Everything from his design, his mannerisms, and his actions show that he's a man you can count on, and a friend that'll never betray you. Even if you DO want to smack him in the face for some of the things he does.

+ Really nice worldview. It's nice to see a Tales world filled with people that have backbone and don't just sit around and get abused. You get the feeling that even if Yuri and the party didn't exist, things would turn out somehow okay for the world. Sure a lot more people might die along the way, but who's to say a lot of other people you never met on the journey might have died too if not for the actions of other people. When all else fails, at least there's Flynn!

+ Great art direction and design. Everything from the cities, to the weapons, the ships, the machines, etc in the world look awesome. There is a lot of detail and care in making stuff just look cool and that's great. You really look forward to going to the next town or dungeon and encountering the next event because of great design like that.

+ One of the best JRPG localizations I've played. It may not be quite up there with Vagrant Story because of the source material and the tone, but there's clearly a ton of effort put forth to ensure a great experience for English speaking players. The dub is great too, and while not all the cast is on the same standard, Yuri is so well voiced that it pretty much keeps the entire game together because the resolve of the main character is matched with an excellent vocal rendition.

+ Well paced combat system, good systems. The battle system is paced such that the player learns more and more as the game progresses and does a great job of easing the player into the rather complex set of systems. When they're fully exploited it makes the game speedier and faster than it would otherwise be.

Cons:

- Mixed bag of a storyline. While it's entertaining throughout because of the characters and the worldview, the game lures the player in with a fantastic and rather un-Tale-ish plot of Guilds and a young man chooing his own path in life, only to trap the player in yet another generic Tales plot when all is said and done. I would really have liked them to go all the way with the tone of the first half of the game, but alas, I guess there's the fanbase to cater to... the same fanbase that buys port after spinoff after port of the watered down franchise.

- Lackluster music. Sakuraba's involvement with the Tales series seems to be dropping more with each new entry, and it's really hard to tell which tunes he composed this time and which were handled by the Tales Studios goons. Most of the music is lackluster BGM that is totally forgettable, and it has one of the most unexciting battle tunes I've heard in a RPG in a loooong time.

- No skippable cutscenes. While the game allows you to pause at any normal cutscene, there is no skip feature. You are also unable to even pause FMVs. Terrible. It's especially painful when there are tons of cutscenes front-loaded before a tough boss. Ugh.

- Backtracking. Later in the game especially, the game starts introducing backtracking elements within larger dungeons where there are puzzles placed in such a way there you're forced to run back and forth with automatically respawning monsters. Pretty lame considering how good the actual dungeon design is, and disappointing.

Duckrollisms (warning story spoilers):

* Awesome final dungeon. Definitely the best HD JRPG final dungeon yet. :D

Why give Barbos such a cool sword and never allow me to get it or fight him while he's using it. :(

There's a part late in the game where Rita and Estelle are sitting on the floor with Dein Nomos on the ground. But since I had it equipped too, it was hanging on Yuri's hand while he was running around the same room too! :lol

Alexei is the dumbest piece of shit ever. His motivations, his "errors" and his "plan" all made no sense. Pretty lame.

Duke is also a dumbass piece of shit. He just looks cooler than Alexei so it's a little more forgivable. I could really do without the usual Tales dumbing down of the "Oh humans and XXXXX can never live together in peace so I have to KILL THEM ALL" plot twist. So so lame.

Firestorm

I completely agree with you on the music so far. I just hit the (major spoilers for Vesperia and Abyss)
1 on 1 fight between Yuri and Estelle and this has no where near the impact that Luke vs Asch did. Meaning of Birth vs this whatever the hell it is?
Hell, the battle music isn't too hot either, especially compared to his Eternal Sonata battle theme. There's a few bits of the story that's annoyed me so far but I want to finish before discussing those.

Papercuts

Alright, just finished the game.

The last boss was such an asshole,
I blew through the first form but the second kept giving me status effects and draining my TP and stuff. I never saw him use his mystic arte though, but I heard about it, guess I lucked out there.

Oh, and I know there's a third form too, but I need two more fell arms first...I actually think they're in the last dungeon somewhere, which speaking of, is freaking huge. At the end I activated the elevator on the left side but the right is still locked...what do I do with that?

Definitely two more playthroughs for me atleast: One with some sort of reference nearby so I don't miss 90% of the sidequests again, and another with 10x exp and 1 point skills for the lulz...though I need to grade farm some more before that.

Firestorm

"Fortune's Market where the smiles cost zero gald!" :lol

30 hours in. LV42. Just
got Estelle back and I keep hearing "This is the final battle!" Something tells me that's bullshit

Caj814

Firestorm said:
"Fortune's Market where the smiles cost zero gald!" :lol

30 hours in. LV42. Just
got Estelle back and I keep hearing "This is the final battle!" Something tells me that's bullshit

Thats how most current tales games seem to be
THIS IS THE FINAL BATTLE. . . . .for this act,just to have the characters split up and reunite a couple of weeks or months later.It would have been nice if they actually added a bit more substance to the reunion with having the characters come back with new moves or sporting a new costume

I'm almost done with the game and it seems like
the real final dungeon just popped up.Are there any quests or things I should pick up before I head there?I missed about 90% of the sidequests thanks to them being so easy to miss.I'm wondering if theres any quests that I can actually complete at this point?

Spruchy

Firestorm said:
I completely agree with you on the music so far. I just hit the (major spoilers for Vesperia and Abyss)
1 on 1 fight between Yuri and Estelle and this has no where near the impact that Luke vs Asch did. Meaning of Birth vs this whatever the hell it is?
Hell, the battle music isn't too hot either, especially compared to his Eternal Sonata battle theme. There's a few bits of the story that's annoyed me so far but I want to finish before discussing those.

Don't compare two different things........wait and see.

mugwhump

What's a good way to pick up downed enemies off the ground with judith? With Yuri I just use his free run attack but Judith's is too slow.

Also it's darn hard hard to juggle short enemies.

JoeFenix

mugwhump said:
What's a good way to pick up downed enemies off the ground with judith? With Yuri I just use his free run attack but Judith's is too slow.

Also it's darn hard hard to juggle short enemies.

For short ennemies I find that forward B twice then up B gets the low ennemies up all the time unless they are blocking. To pick up ennemies try one of the first artes you get, the one that does a flip kick launcher with a green trail.

Jonnyram

Papercuts said:
Oh, and I know there's a third form too, but I need two more fell arms first...I actually think they're in the last dungeon somewhere, which speaking of, is freaking huge. At the end I activated the elevator on the left side but the right is still locked...what do I do with that?
When you get to the last save point,
go back and to the left - you should see a new part that you opened up without realising. Go out here and follow the tower back down to the bottom where you will unlock the elevator.
It's pretty far though :)

Papercuts

Jonnyram said:
When you get to the last save point,
go back and to the left - you should see a new part that you opened up without realising. Go out here and follow the tower back down to the bottom where you will unlock the elevator.
It's pretty far though :)

I see that now, jeez, that huge dungeon was only a part of the whole thing.

I also have a question about the ending:
When they used all of the blastia to destroy the Adephagos, why didn't Raven die? And hell, why didn't he die earlier after they revealed he was Schwann? I don't recall it being explained how he survived being crushed.

Blackjack

Kadey said:
Anyone know whether there is a secret mission for the dreaded giant?
All bosses have a secret mission.

For that one,
attack it when it raises up on its hind legs to knock it down. You'll need lots of hits -- Champagne is good for that one

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Thanks. I couldn't figure out when he was going to do it. I used that one rising attack and he fell on his ass. :lol

http://www.destructoid.com/destructoid-review-tales-of-vesperia-103558.phtml#ext

I don't think that guy got the hang of the battle system AT ALL. Vesperia's battle system is the most complex in the series thus far, and while sure you could stand in the middle and just button mash, you can also play it a whole lot more strategically. And this review totally omitted mentioning the skills system, which continue to add more and more depth to the gameplay as you go on. Ugh.

I'm 30 hours in and enjoying the hell out of this game.

Link1110

I got the game a few days ago and am loving it. It seems so Grandia-esque in that I'm trying to do something that's not saving the world and the game is playing out in an episodic fashion going from town to town. That's too bad if it doesn't continue like that all the way through.

Top Bottom