• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Jonnyram said:
I've just finished getting these titles. You don't have to master every recipe on every character, though -- you just need to master them all for one character. I'd say it took me about 3 hours total, from having unlocked all the recipes. Buy all ingredients at the spa, cook in Yuri's room, sleeping between each cooking attempt.

Really? But doesn't Estelle, for instance, have a unique recipe title from Yuri to earn from mastering recipes?

Jonnyram

Brandon F said:
Really? But doesn't Estelle, for instance, have a unique recipe title from Yuri to earn from mastering recipes?
You get all the titles for winning the cooking contest, but only one character enters it.

Althane

So, question about the equivilant of the Abbysian Arms:

Is it total kills of the PARTY, or just for that particular Character?

For example, I've killed 1000 enemies only using Rita. Is it only HER weapon, or is it everybody's weapon?

(Also, does moving the battle data and stuff keep the information? I.E: Do the weapons just get more sickeningly powerful over the course of multiple playthroughs?)

Coverly

Blackjack said:
You need to synth an item called Moon Selector. I'm not sure when it becomes available, though, sorry. Also, even then players 2-4 could end up screwed over, since it doesn't let you CHOOSE who you control, it just scrolls through the characters until whoever you want is in the first slot (so if it's Yuri, Repede, Rita, Estelle and you use the Moon Selector once, it will be Repede, Rita, Estelle, Yuri and so on)

Moon selector? how weird but at least it's something. thanks!

my game arrived a couple of days ago, I got the first secret mission with Zagi....

Are all the secret missions tied to bosses?

and I bought the special edition, wheres the special "something" we're supposed to be getting... anybody have an idea as to what it is?

Tamanon

Banned
diztrukted said:
my game arrived a couple of days ago, I got the first secret mission with Zagi....

Are all the secret missions tied to bosses?

and I bought the special edition, wheres the special "something" we're supposed to be getting... anybody have an idea as to what it is?

Yup they're all boss missions. Although at least one requires an item from a sidequest to do.

Althane said:
So, question about the equivilant of the Abbysian Arms:

Is it total kills of the PARTY, or just for that particular Character?

For example, I've killed 1000 enemies only using Rita. Is it only HER weapon, or is it everybody's weapon?

(Also, does moving the battle data and stuff keep the information? I.E: Do the weapons just get more sickeningly powerful over the course of multiple playthroughs?)

It only counts for the character that actually performs the kill.

Kill counts reset every playthrough (and damage caps at 9999 I believe). However, if you carry over items on a file that has them unlocked, you won't need to unlock them on subsequent playthroughs (they'll still be weak as hell for a long time though). I'm not sure if (or even if you can) you need to find them again to get the secret boss. I'm almost to the point of finding them on my Unknown file, and I imagine you do need to find them again to trigger the boss.

JSnake

Well it took me 85 hours but I beat it! I also grabbed the 10x exp thing in the Grade Shop. Can't wait to do a new playthrough when a thorough walkthrough comes out.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Haha, sorry guys, there's a quest on the Tales Brigade where we have to do this. =P

Teknoman

Has anyone had a dirty disc error on the game yet? I just started it up, and before I got past the opening with Yuri and Ted, it dirty disc'd me.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
So, what's the fastest way to make money? I've been earning a ton of chips to buy stuff to resell, but what's the best thing to resell?

Id.

Papercuts said:
So, what's the fastest way to make money? I've been earning a ton of chips to buy stuff to resell, but what's the best thing to resell?
Holy Avenger +1. Keep getting 15 of them with your chips then go to Yumange to sell them. I think you earn about 315,000 gald everytime. Another alternative to getting Gald is just having 4 Blue Sephiras equipped on four of your party members and constantly get into battles in the final dungeon.

Jonnyram

Papercuts said:
Stand in front of the 100 chip machines and mash A (helps if you have auto-fire). 2-3 million in one hour. I think mine was faster, but that is the "minimum" rate lol. You will also get a ton of the star stone synth items.

Papercuts

Jonnyram said:
Stand in front of the 100 chip machines and mash A (helps if you have auto-fire). 2-3 million in one hour. I think mine was faster, but that is the "minimum" rate lol. You will also get a ton of the star stone synth items.

Does it matter which machine?

Papercuts

I wish I had autofire, I'll have to try that manually for a bit.

Also, is it possible to get the bonus dungeon on the first playthrough? I read how to get it and tried it but I think I'm either too far into the game for it to happen now, or it's impossible until New Game+ anyway.

Firestorm

If it works like in Abyss, you should be able to save a new game+ as a separate file, and go back to your old game and everything should be available to you. As long as there's a new game+ somewhere on your hard drive, the game recognized all files as a new game+. I don't know if it was intended in Abyss or a glitch.

Darkman M

Firestorm said:
If it works like in Abyss, you should be able to save a new game+ as a separate file, and go back to your old game and everything should be available to you. As long as there's a new game+ somewhere on your hard drive, the game recognized all files as a new game+. I don't know if it was intended in Abyss or a glitch.

Just loaded my old file and none of my ex game stuff moved over : (

Firestorm

Darkman M said:
Just loaded my old file and none of my ex game stuff moved over : (
I don't mean that anything you do on the new game+ moves over. I meant that stuff that's only available in a new game+ are now available in your old file. So say the secret dungeon opens up only in a new game+. You can do that dungeon in your old file.

Darkman M

Firestorm said:
I don't mean that anything you do on the new game+ moves over. I meant that stuff that's only available in a new game+ are now available in your old file. So say the secret dungeon opens up only in a new game+. You can do that dungeon in your old file.

Ahh i see, i need the 10x exp thing so i can get the lv 200 achievement, im not even in the desert yet and im like lv 40.

Firestorm

YES YES YES YES YES TAKE THAT MISSION 13 FUCK YOU YES.

Got lucky. He used a Mystic Arte RIGHT at the beginning of what was his third overlimit so nobody died too fast and everyone landed right beside him. Got up and was able to use Ghost Wolf with Yuri to get him down. God. He even used a fourth overlimit right at the end and scared the crap out of me. 1 life bottle left.

need a save point stat

Jonnyram

Almost done with my first playthrough now. Waiting for the bunny ear achievement to unlock, then I'm gonna take on the final boss. 153 hours on the clock.

Seems I totally screwed up the Judith spear quest (you have to do the thing in Rita's house at the start of the game, or you can't get it), and I missed a few other things too. Will be fun to try and beat the game in 15 hours now, including the quests I missed. Should be doable, but it will be interesting nonetheless. I can't wait to see how the game plays with all equipment and skills at the start, esp. the all skills = 1SP upgrade! :lol

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I failed the tutorial battle (I know, I suck). Now, my guy just fights automatically in battle. I'm assuming that's because I failed the first one?

How do I disable that?

Firestorm

FlyinJ said:
I failed the tutorial battle (I know, I suck). Now, my guy just fights automatically in battle. I'm assuming that's because I failed the first one?

How do I disable that?
Go to the Artes menu and set him from Auto to Manual or Semi-Manual. For Semi-Manual, the game automatically puts you into range of the enemy when you use an attack. In Manual, you have full control over the character.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Firestorm said:
Go to the Artes menu and set him from Auto to Manual or Semi-Manual. For Semi-Manual, the game automatically puts you into range of the enemy when you use an attack. In Manual, you have full control over the character.

Ah, excellent thanks. I was looking all over the UI and couldn't make heads nor tales of it. Lol get it tales.

Tamanon

Banned
navi001 said:
does anyone know what monster drops Naevimetal and spirit fragment?

Spirit fragments you should get on the
ghost ship
, Naevimetal should drop off the mech mobs in
Ghasfarost

Papercuts

Ba'ul:
I talked to a kid at Myorzo and did races with him. He gave me a dew that lets me land on the icy area...but is that it? Seems kinda pointless, the areas you can only land on from him just have the same enemies the rest of the ice does.

Papercuts said:
Ba'ul:
I talked to a kid at Myorzo and did races with him. He gave me a dew that lets me land on the icy area...but is that it? Seems kinda pointless, the areas you can only land on from him just have the same enemies the rest of the ice does.
There's one area he can land on now on Desier, I think, that has enemies that drop Blastium Ore J, which goes in to a lot of rare items.

Tamanon

Banned
Papercuts said:
Ba'ul:

You also get a title for Judith after the fifth race. I can't see any use for the ice thing unless there was a node on it. Kinda like the salvage arm of the ship only being useful for nodes

Bebpo

Banned
So while I still think Vesperia is a solid B rpg, it's become such a chore to play it these days that it really is like work and I can't wait to beat it this weekend so I can give IU a shot. I don't expect anyone to agree with me, since most people are really enjoying Vesperia and that's great for them, but here are my issues with the game.

Basically I loved the game through act.1, liked the characters, was always interested in the next story point because of them, really enjoyed the battles as more and more systems were introduced, really enjoyed playing with the skill system and making longer cooler combos for each element, really enjoyed synthesizing everything to get all the neat skills, enjoyed cooking to learn the new recipies. There was quite a bit to do at all times and for everything you did, you got new cooler stuff in return.

Then around 30 hours in or 50% through the game when my characters were in mid 30s level-wise and I'd gotten almost all the altered skills and almost all the recipes, and there were only a few new moves left to learn and they were spread hours apart...it started getting a little boring gameplay-wise. I had basically my "end-game" combos down for each color of enemy and on bosses combos are pointless since they overlimit so much or just ignore your damage so you might as well just spam low hit#, high damage short combos.

So every battle I was doing the same combos over and over and then doing fatal strikes. The enemies didn't get harder, they just started getting more HP so more repetition of the same combos over and over. Even on hard they just had even MORE HP but battles played out the same everytime to the point where you could do it in your sleep.

With no new moves to look forward to, so no real reason to mix around and use all your skills (I VASTLY prefer the Tales games where you get a new ougi by doing 2 tokugis like 500 times each instead of just at a set level, since it keeps you using all your attacks), and no new recipies to learn, battles just felt kinda pointless and I started avoiding a lot of them just to save the time. Skills became a non-interest because 90% of them seemed pointless and I'd never use them, especially since I didn't need them since the battles were so easy and dull. From that Synth became boring too because why bother to waste time running around collecting the items to make a weapon to learn skills you won't use? At some point I realized I wasn't going to have 100% everything (skills, equipment), so I think I stopped caring about stuff that isn't actually useful.

And then there was the plot which just kinda became a generic Tales with no real drive around 30 hours. Save the world, one slow dungeon with tiny plot development every hour at a time, instead of being glued to the seat like act 1, I stopped caring about what was going on since it's pretty obvious how it's all playing out and Vesperia's worldview is just very bland for an rpg world. The characters are solid, but the magic history and all that is bunk.

Also doesn't help that the dungeons are neither exciting in terms of puzzles (most are just run from A -> B with branches for treasures) nor are they breathtaking environments that continue to impress (I took a photo of like 3 areas total so far in Vesperia, compared to most rpgs I take a lot). In BD or LO or Persona or any good rpg I take a moment to go "wow" when I reach a cool looking place, but Vesperia's dungeons are all pretty bland. So there goes another incentive to look forward to when playing.

So at the end of the day my main problem with Vesperia is that while the game is 60 hours+, you pretty much complete/master the gameplay at 30-35 hours in, which leaves 20-30 hours of just doing the same old, same old every battle as you go from A->B in the dungeons and watch a little plot advancement and there's just not anything to look forward to that gives that 'pull' that makes you not want to leave your seat and to just keep playing for hours.

With 99% of the rpgs I play, I play in 5-10 hour sessions each day I sit down with the game. I was like that for the first 20-30 hours of Vesperia. But since then I can barely manage over an hour each time I play and am just hitting 50 hours like 2-3 weeks after hitting 30 hours.

Even if it's not "amazing" Vesperia is a very well made rpg in every aspect, but I feel like I finished it 20 hours ago and wonder why I'm still playing and the story is not over. :\

ps. I know a lot of people say Abyss felt like that too, but I guess I didn't notice it because I was playing Abyss for the next cutscene all the way until the end because the story was really interesting.

Jonnyram

I just beat the game. Loved the ending and just starting up my Ex New Game now. Had close to 17000 grade to spend :D
The end boss really enjoyed spamming Big Bang, but
Raven
helped out a lot with
his cure move
straight after. Man, if other Tales games are as good as this, it's a shame I missed out on them, but this one really did have a snappy beginning and the story was awesome overall. One of my favourite JRPGs now, and definitely the best so far this gen.

Jonnyram

By the way, Bebpo, you have NOT got your end game combos. There is no way you possibly have, because you learn some skills that increase your combos massively in the last part of the game, like the really last part of the game. You're not in the final dungeon yet, right?

Top Bottom