• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

Bebpo

Banned
Jonnyram said:
By the way, Bebpo, you have NOT got your end game combos. There is no way you possibly have, because you learn some skills that increase your combos massively in the last part of the game, like the really last part of the game. You're not in the final dungeon yet, right?

For the last bunch of hours I've been doing: attack x 6 -> tokugi -> tokugi -> altered tokugi -> ougi -> tokugi

for the 10-15 hours before that I was doing: attack x 6 -> tokugi -> altered tokugi -> ougi -> tokugi

I just feel really disheartened that combos are pretty pointless once you pass the 100 hit combo achievement since normal enemies die fast enough that long combos are not a big deal and bosses are cheaters and usually break out of your combo :(

Firestorm

Bebpo said:
For the last bunch of hours I've been doing: attack x 6 -> tokugi -> tokugi -> altered tokugi -> ougi -> tokugi

for the 10-15 hours before that I was doing: attack x 6 -> tokugi -> altered tokugi -> ougi -> tokugi

I just feel really disheartened that combos are pretty pointless once you pass the 100 hit combo achievement since normal enemies die fast enough that long combos are not a big deal and bosses are cheaters and usually break out of your combo :(
This is really annoying me. Only 27 hours in and beat Secret Mission 14 (I love how the secret missions can be used as a non-spoiler way of how far you're in the game) but I've been unable to break 50 combos. And I got that the first boss after I got overlimit...

Bebpo

Banned
Firestorm said:
This is really annoying me. Only 27 hours in and beat Secret Mission 14 (I love how the secret missions can be used as a non-spoiler way of how far you're in the game) but I've been unable to break 50 combos. And I got that the first boss after I got overlimit...

To get high combos I just do them on normal big enemies and use crappy weapons or skills that reduce damage by 1/2, 1/4, or to 1.

It seems like the point of getting high combos in Vesperia is just to say you've gotten them (and for grade farming), whereas in other Tales games you wanted high combos because the more hits you were doing the more damage you were doing. Especially important on bosses.

Jonnyram

There's a title for 150 combos, and if you really just want to get high combos, set your damage to 1 or something. That's not the point of the game for me though. The battle system was always fun for me because I didn't take it overly serious. I just kind of made up my combos on the spot, depending on the enemies. Some of the enemies in the last dungeon were knocking me out of the way pretty easily, even though I was overlevelled, so I had to adjust to that.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Jonnyram said:
There's a title for 150 combos, and if you really just want to get high combos, set your damage to 1 or something. That's not the point of the game for me though. The battle system was always fun for me because I didn't take it overly serious. I just kind of made up my combos on the spot, depending on the enemies. Some of the enemies in the last dungeon were knocking me out of the way pretty easily, even though I was overlevelled, so I had to adjust to that.

I feel similarly regarding combat.

About the 150-hit titles though, once you nail that for 1 character does it unlock the title for everyone involved in the combo? Or do you literally have to do it with every character on their own? ie. Can you just pull off the 999-hit Rita grade-farming trick and everyone in that current party will get the title?

kiryogi

Banned
Bebpo: I keep saying it, but you really should try using some other characters. I've been maining Judy myself personally and have a ton of dynamic fun with her aerials. Yuri's pretty solid all around, but gets pretty boring in the long run in terms of repetition.

Firestorm: I was pretty sure when I posted it, but looked into it again. This is actually the first time a Team Symphonia game featured Arte extensions. It's usually in Team Destiny games, but was never in Symphonia or Abyss.

duckroll

Hey guys, I need some help. I need to know how far I am from the end of the game, so those of you that completed it, some advice will be great.

I just saw the FMV where Alexei uses Estelle to turn the capital all red. The party got blown away and now I'm in Nor Harbor. I'm currently 25 hours into the game, am I like 50% done with the game? 60%? 70%?

Thanks!

Wilsongt

WTF. How am I suppose to

Weaken the boss in the ice drifts with Karol. I keep him on only, and have only used Raven and Yuri on manual. Karol is sooooo slow. Am I only suppose to hit the boss a couple of times of what?

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Bebpo said:
So while I still think Vesperia is a solid B rpg, it's become such a chore to play it these days that it really is like work and I can't wait to beat it this weekend so I can give IU a shot. I don't expect anyone to agree with me, since most people are really enjoying Vesperia and that's great for them, but here are my issues with the game.
I totally agree with this. I haven't played Vesperia in a week and I'm pretty much ready to get it over with and get to Infinite Undiscovery, which sounds like the polar opposite of Vesperia (one a painful exercise in vomit-inducing excess and the other a mean and lean experience). I think we have different reasons for getting bored of the game but I'm just letting you know you're not alone.

I am enjoying Vesperia still, but it is EXTREMELY tiring.

Indrew

Neo Member
duckroll said:
Hey guys, I need some help. I need to know how far I am from the end of the game, so those of you that completed it, some advice will be great.

I just saw the FMV where Alexei uses Estelle to turn the capital all red. The party got blown away and now I'm in Nor Harbor. I'm currently 25 hours into the game, am I like 50% done with the game? 60%? 70%?

Thanks!

I'd say you are about 65% through the main story.

Bebpo said:

1) Try different characters

2) Realize the power of magic and Unknown difficulty.

That said, all Tales games truly are incredibly repetitive. SO4 future!

cress2000

I haven't felt this satisfied with a Tales game since I discovered the series with Phantasia ten years ago. I love every minute of it.

Yuri is amazing. One of the best main characters I've ever seen in my 14 years of playing JRPGs. Maybe the best.

Blackjack

Wilsongt said:
WTF. How am I suppose to

Weaken the boss in the ice drifts with Karol. I keep him on only, and have only used Raven and Yuri on manual. Karol is sooooo slow. Am I only suppose to hit the boss a couple of times of what?
You don't have to hit it at all, just survive for a couple minutes.

duckroll

Okay guys, now I'm in
the Enduring Shrine and I just beat Yeager.
I have a feeling this isn't the final dungeon and this is a fake "final" dungeon. How much longer do I have? ^^;

Spruchy

duckroll said:
Okay guys, now I'm in
I have a feeling this isn't the final dungeon and this is a fake "final" dungeon. How much longer do I have? ^^;

Wow calm down there buddy its not a race, try just playing it.

Bebpo

Banned
duckroll said:
Okay guys, now I'm in

Why did they kill off the best antagonist in the game so early :(

JoeFenix

duckroll said:
It's a race because IU has arrived and I'm picking it up tomorrow. :p

If I can't finish it by then, too bad for ToV lolz.

I wouldn't get too hyped for IU if I was you.

Tales is a MUCH better game, no question about it, IU was a huge disapointment to me and it's tri-Ace's laziest effort. It's still somewhat fun but don't expect anything good.

Tamanon

Banned
duckroll said:
Okay guys, now I'm in

LOL, about 20-30 hours more to go.

Firestorm

kiryogi said:
Bebpo: I keep saying it, but you really should try using some other characters. I've been maining Judy myself personally and have a ton of dynamic fun with her aerials. Yuri's pretty solid all around, but gets pretty boring in the long run in terms of repetition.

Firestorm: I was pretty sure when I posted it, but looked into it again. This is actually the first time a Team Symphonia game featured Arte extensions. It's usually in Team Destiny games, but was never in Symphonia or Abyss.
I thought Abyss did? Found this in the Arte FAQ at GameFAQs. Only Luke and Tear's Mystic Artes have them:

Radiant Howl Extension (Radiant Howl, Completed 1st Playthrough,
Ion to be in the Party, ENGLISH Version ONLY)
14 Hits
You can extend Radiant Howl by holding down (Attack).

Ion pops into where Luke was at the end of his Radiant Howl, places
his hand on the ground where a glyph appears, and everything caught
in it will be blown apart by a huge column of light.

Fortune's Ark Extension (Fortune's Ark, ENGLISH Version ONLY)
*Knockdown* || Heals and Buffs the party
You can extend Fortune's Ark by holding down (Attack).

When extended, Tear opens her arms
to cast a huge glyph that sears again all enemies and heals/buffs the party.

I know it's not really an indication of much, but Tales of Vesperia has been either #1 or #2 for Top Games and Top Most Wanted FAQs on GameFAQs since release and Tales of the Abyss is now back in the Top 10 Games for PS2.

duckroll said:
It's a race because IU has arrived and I'm picking it up tomorrow. :p

If I can't finish it by then, too bad for ToV lolz.

Really? After spending a few hours with IU you'll probably be back to playing your copy of ToV.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
hey yall I really want to get the mystic arte but I cannot find the damn frost stone or whatever in the sands of kogor because it doesnt get dark after I killed the boss. It is really upsettting me and i went ahead on to the heracles/estelle mission but the last 2 bosses i faced, nan and schwann, hurt me with that damn mystic arte and i want it. Do i just wait in the sands and it becomes dark again or am i screwed until my next play thru to get the 3 over limit thingy, i dont have the frost stone from the ice bat or ice spirit so i cant synth it yet...dammit

Tamanon

Banned
ChrisGoldstein said:
hey yall I really want to get the mystic arte but I cannot find the damn frost stone or whatever in the sands of kogor because it doesnt get dark after I killed the boss. It is really upsettting me and i went ahead on to the heracles/estelle mission but the last 2 bosses i faced, nan and schwann, hurt me with that damn mystic arte and i want it. Do i just wait in the sands and it becomes dark again or am i screwed until my next play thru to get the 3 over limit thingy, i dont have the frost stone from the ice bat or ice spirit so i cant synth it yet...dammit

You can get it afterwards.
There's another ice area coming up. Also the warehouse in Myorzo has one of each type stone in it

kiryogi

Banned
Firestorm said:
I thought Abyss did? Found this in the Arte FAQ at GameFAQs. Only Luke and Tear's Mystic Artes have them:

I know it's not really an indication of much, but Tales of Vesperia has been either #1 or #2 for Top Games and Top Most Wanted FAQs on GameFAQs since release and Tales of the Abyss is now back in the Top 10 Games for PS2.

I guess I should have been specific. Basic artes, not mystic/hiougi.

mugwhump

For the Fatal Finish Plus skill, where you recover full HP+TP with a FS after a series of FS chains, how big of a chain do you have to get?

Also what's a good arte with yuri for triggering red fatal strikes? Shining fang is good for blue, and the various punchy stabby artes work for green, but I can't find anything that great for red....

Firestorm

mugwhump said:
For the Fatal Finish Plus skill, where you recover full HP+TP with a FS after a series of FS chains, how big of a chain do you have to get?

Also what's a good arte with yuri for triggering red fatal strikes? Shining fang is good for blue, and the various punchy stabby artes work for green, but I can't find anything that great for red....
Just do whatever while making Rita cast Splash. Splash seems to destroy red emblems.

Tamanon

Banned
mugwhump said:

The general rule of thumb is to look at what direction the attack goes in. Anything that pops the mob up in the air tends to break the blue gauge, if it keeps them on the ground, it's green, and if it hits them and pushes them down, it's red.

mugwhump

Just beat act 2
sodia you crazy bitch
, the new overworld music is sweet and the new battle music is AMAZING. I'm having so much fun with minimum damage+super chain skills, getting cuhrazy chains+combos. SO AWESOOOOOOME.

Linkzg said:
Which ones? I fought octopus enemies and they didn't give me any.
I was looking for that for a while. There's squid enemies on the eastern beach of the first continent (ilyccia?).

Tamanon said:
The general rule of thumb is to look at what direction the attack goes in. Anything that pops the mob up in the air tends to break the blue gauge, if it keeps them on the ground, it's green, and if it hits them and pushes them down, it's red.
Nonono, I know what color all my artes are, I'm just asking what's a good one for getting red FS. Cuz multi-hit artes trigger FS's the most reliably and yuri doesn't really have any multi-hit red artes...

Firestorm

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Someone told me online this game has co-op?

A co-op JRPG.

That is so damn awesome that I think it should be in the thread title.
All of the Team Symphonia games are co-op. Offline co-op only. Up to four players. It's in the OP =) Eternal Sonata is also co-op (3 players).

Firestorm

mugwhump, I think that means you're right ahead of me. I have two questions:
Before heading back to Zaphias, I saw a the giganto monster that's been pissing off Deidon Hold but couldn't beat him because I only had Yuri and Repede. Does he stay there for good or should I go back before finishing this dungeon?

Secondly, uh... I can't do anything here. Was I supposed to upgrade my sorceror's stone? They keep saying shit about using the power of the ring to make wings open or something and I keep shooting the statues to no result

Hero

Firestorm said:
Before heading back to Zaphias, I saw a the giganto monster that's been pissing off Deidon Hold but couldn't beat him because I only had Yuri and Repede. Does he stay there for good or should I go back before finishing this dungeon?

Secondly, uh... I can't do anything here. Was I supposed to upgrade my sorceror's stone? They keep saying shit about using the power of the ring to make wings open or something and I keep shooting the statues to no result

You need to follow the order that the game tells you.

IIRC, shoot in this order: one wing, two wings, three wings, eight wings. Don't mess up or you have to start from the beginning

Firestorm

Hero said:
You need to follow the order that the game tells you.

IIRC, shoot in this order: one wing, two wings, three wings, eight wings. Don't mess up or you have to start from the beginning
Ah ok. Yeah I just got to the part with those instructions and took a break. I was thinking the game would give me some kind of visual or audio feedback even if I did it wrong.

Tamanon

Banned
Firestorm said:

About the first point, you have until the end of the game to do it.

mugwhump

Firestorm said:

yeah you can fight him whenever

duckroll

I did it! I beat it before IU! WOO HOOOOO! Now I can pick up IU today with no guilt! I finish my RPGs YAAAAAY! 33:39 hours clear save. :D

Firestorm

duckroll said:
I did it! I beat it before IU! WOO HOOOOO! Now I can pick up IU today with no guilt! I finish my RPGs YAAAAAY! 33:39 hours clear save. :D
Did you skip every cutscene or play on easy or something? o.o; I'm about 27 hours in and I think I'm just before part 3.

How'd you like it?

duckroll

Tamanon said:
Jesus, you just powered through the end of the game then.:lol No exploring, ro sidequests or nothin'!

I figure I can always do the optional stuff later on, it's not a big deal to me, it's not like I'm selling the game or anything. It's just that if I don't beat it before IU, I might never beat it. I have a bad bad habit of leaving games half-finished and moving on to new games lately. been trying to do away with that habit, and I'm glad I managed to finish ToV before IU! I didn't actually expect IU to be available so soon, and man, I haven't done an all-nighter on a RPG for a loooooooong time now. Feels kinda good, like PS1/PS2 days! :)

Edit: Oh and I'm no cheater. :p I watched all the cutscenes, listened to any Skit that popped up. I moved it down to Easy mode at around
Alexei
but other than that, I played the game properly! I'll probably post some impressions later...

Top Bottom