• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

Blackjack said:
What?

Okay, I guess not ALL bosses, if you count things like the Eggbear as a boss. But otherwise, as far as I've seen, yeah -- all of them.

How about
Yeager
's first boss fight? The Rhybgaro? The Big Monsters? I thought there were one or two others, too ...

I don't know, I wouldn't say all of them.

mugwhump

JoeFenix said:
For short ennemies I find that forward B twice then up B gets the low ennemies up all the time unless they are blocking. To pick up ennemies try one of the first artes you get, the one that does a flip kick launcher with a green trail.
Thanks, forward forward up works well. But I didn't mean launching enemies, I meant making them stand up again when they're lying on the ground to continue my combo.

Dragon

Banned
I tried to pick this up a few hours ago at a local Gamestop.

"Okay let me look. Oh wow no copies at this store. Do you want me to try another one? You sure? Okay. Yeah we didn't get many copies when it launched. It's sad because every time we get copies we sell them out quickly."

WTF Gamestop.

JaMarco

When I bought my copy they said I was lucky cause it was the last one left
The game was definitely undershipped
Still waiting to get a 360 to play it on :/

Blackjack

FateBreaker said:
How about
Yeager
's first boss fight? The Rhybgaro? The Big Monsters? I thought there were one or two others, too ...

I don't know, I wouldn't say all of them.
Hm. I guess you could look at it that way. I never really considered the first two bosses, personally. The Giganto monsters are bosses, unquestionably, but...optional ones and so don't count for my reasoning? I don't know, I stick to what I said, but I get how others would disagree.

Beezy

Okay, I beat Flynn not too long ago, but I'm not ready to go to the final dungeon and beat the game yet.

At this point, what sidequests can I do and where are there located/how do I trigger them? Minus the ones that I already missed ofcourse.

I went to Nam Cobanda Isle, but I couldn't do anything.

What about the giganto monster thingy?

Where are the other fell arms?

How do I get into that cooking place in Dahngrest?

What's up with those rock pyramid places on the world map? I went to like 3 of em but I can't do anything there.

How do I make the sorcerer's stone stronger?

What else is there can I do?

Sorry, but I don't know of any online guides for this game. :(

Seriously, is there anyway to skip cutscenes? Or does anyone have any tips for beating
Belius?
I'm tired of dying then having to tap a damn button for 20 minutes to get past all these damn cutscenes.

Blackjack

Linkzg said:
Seriously, is there anyway to skip cutscenes? Or does anyone have any tips for beating
Belius?
I'm tired of dying then having to tap a damn button for 20 minutes to get past all these damn cutscenes.
When she splits off into two, just target the torches and light them with Yuri's Destruction Field or Rita's Fireballs to get rid of the clone (use a magic lens first if you care about the Monster Book). After that it's just a matter of owning her. Rita + Overlimit + Stalagmite is a huge benefit as well.

Blackjack said:
When she splits off into two, just target the torches and light them with Yuri's Destruction Field or Rita's Fireballs to get rid of the clone (use a magic lens first if you care about the Monster Book). After that it's just a matter of owning her. Rita + Overlimit + Stalagmite is a huge benefit as well.

Thanks. I still find it annoying that it takes about 14 or more minutes to get from the save point to that and the entire time you are mashing A.

Beezy

bbsting120 said:
Really? It's helped me get all the extras so far in my play through. It lets you know exactly when each side quest opens up...so, yeah.
I'm already at the end of the game. It doesn't tell me what I already missed and what I can still do.

Id.

Beezy said:
I'm already at the end of the game. It doesn't tell me what I already missed and what I can still do.
Just to clarify, you've already seen the events at
Aurnion
and can already head to the final dungeon right?

The walmart I work at didn't have any copies as of two days ago. I think that this game seriously under-shipped and hopefully Namco corrects this. The word of mouth should be good for this title.

I'm 13 hours in and I can easily say that this beats the legendary Tales of Symphonia.

Tamanon

Banned
Beezy said:
Okay, I beat Flynn not too long ago, but I'm not ready to go to the final dungeon and beat the game yet.

At this point, what sidequests can I do and where are there located/how do I trigger them? Minus the ones that I already missed ofcourse.

What's up with those rock pyramid places on the world map? I went to like 3 of em but I can't do anything there.

As far as
Sorcerer's ring, you need to get Abyssion from Myorzo's elder. Then you go to the rock pyramid/aer krene near Nordopolica and it should charge up to level 4 automatically. Then just go to any other aer krene to power up to 5

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
10x exp is really fun so far, I'm level 42 and just got to Dahngrest. I've been following that Koulin guide too, which is helping me a lot, I completly missed all of this stuff.

One of the hardest things so far is trying to get the title for Yuri which involves all of the Secret Missions on one playthrough, I couldn't get #16 last time so the whole thing fell apart first playthrough, and now I'm actually so powerful most bosses just die way too fast. The plus side is that they mostly do 1 damage, so I've been needing to set everyone on Defend while I just basically waited for the right moment.

Beezy said:

By "couldn't do anything" do you mean can't even enter the town? I'm not sure how to actually trigger it opening, I thought it happened automatically. If you are in, head to the Gymnasium, you can do pretty much everything there.

You can always slay all of the Giganto monsters, but the actual sidequest to do so for Karol is something really early on that is missed if you've already killed one, which I'm assuming you have.

Abyssion is from the Myorzo Elder, from there you need to go to any rock pyramid place for another one. From there I'd just use level 4 sorcerer's ring to revisit old dungeons where you can remember chests being out of your reach, a lot of them are in places like that. 2 of them are in the last dungeon though.

Not sure, I think you need to max out cooking skill with someone but I haven't bothered with that yet.

Once you have Abyssion you can get into one, after that the Sorcerer's Ring will destroy the rocks in front of the others.

The rock pyramids!

You can fight at the Coliseum. If you've been there already you can atleast do up to 80, to unlock 100 you need to do various sidequests involving the Hunting Blades and those two girls Yeager would always have nearby.

Bebpo

Banned
Papercuts said:
10x exp is really fun so far, I'm level 42 and just got to Dahngrest. I've been following that Koulin guide too, which is helping me a lot, I completly missed all of this stuff.

One of the hardest things so far is trying to get the title for Yuri which involves all of the Secret Missions on one playthrough, I couldn't get #16 last time so the whole thing fell apart first playthrough, and now I'm actually so powerful most bosses just die way too fast. The plus side is that they mostly do 1 damage, so I've been needing to set everyone on Defend while I just basically waited for the right moment.

By "couldn't do anything" do you mean can't even enter the town? I'm not sure how to actually trigger it opening, I thought it happened automatically. If you are in, head to the Gymnasium, you can do pretty much everything there.

You can always slay all of the Giganto monsters, but the actual sidequest to do so for Karol is something really early on that is missed if you've already killed one, which I'm assuming you have.

Abyssion is from the Myorzo Elder, from there you need to go to any rock pyramid place for another one. From there I'd just use level 4 sorcerer's ring to revisit old dungeons where you can remember chests being out of your reach, a lot of them are in places like that. 2 of them are in the last dungeon though.

Not sure, I think you need to max out cooking skill with someone but I haven't bothered with that yet.

Once you have Abyssion you can get into one, after that the Sorcerer's Ring will destroy the rocks in front of the others.

The rock pyramids!

You can fight at the Coliseum. If you've been there already you can atleast do up to 80, to unlock 100 you need to do various sidequests involving the Hunting Blades and those two girls Yeager would always have nearby.

What's the quest with the 2 Yeager girls and how do you trigger it? I'm at the same point as Beezy.

Papercuts said:

The rock pyramids!

If you're killing enemies/bosses too fast, you should use those skills like half damage, quarter damage etc. I think that's what those are supposedly for (if I remember the tutorial thing right).

Of course, first play through and I'm having the opposite problem with trying to get secret missions while keeping my party alive at the same time. I already missed two, though, so I'm just doing them now for a fun challenge, but if they prove too hard just skipping them to retry on another play through where I get 'em all.

Papercuts

Bebpo said:
What's the quest with the 2 Yeager girls and how do you trigger it? I'm at the same point as Beezy.

There's a few parts to it, I'm not sure what all is required but for me I first had a scene with them at Capua Torim. After that head over to Ehmead Hill(the side you exit on heading to Capua Nor) and head up the path to the ocean and take a right when you can. You should get a Fire Lily or something like that. Then go to Mt. Temza for a scene, then go back to Zaude to where you killed Yeager to wrap it up.

I'm in the
Forest of Keiv Moc
, and my TP stays at a consistent 55/54. I'l hit an enemy and my TP will actually go down one, then go up, leveling it all out. Is this a glitch, or is it because of my weapon (
Estoc
)?

LordK

It's probably the ability attached to the weapon (or you have it equipped as a skill) that uses TP to increase damage (maybe it's combo damage... don't remember).

Big-E

I just now beat it. Final time was like 42 hours or something like that and I did barely any sidequests. Pretty much loved it through out and this is right now my favorite console rpg of the generation. I don't think I will do another playthrough right now since the season is about to begin in a flurry but I might later on in the spring. I feel like an idiot now for not playing any of the tales games before this one.

Troidal

It's now sold at 3980yen(!!!) at Bic Camera, so I picked up a copy. Not sure if I'll open it or try to make some extra bucks out of it. So anyone convince me to play this? I've never been a Tales person.

Ninja Gaiden 2 was 1980yen too, LOL.

Beezy

Papercuts said:

I can enter the town now, but there's this old man blocking the gym entrance. He says that he ate too many chicken nuggets. :/

I actually haven't killed any of the giganto monsters, but I have no idea how to trigger that sidequest.

Oh, and one more thing. What about the Baul races? Did I miss that already?

Thanks for all the help. You too Tamanon! :D

Papercuts

Beezy said:
I can enter the town now, but there's this old man blocking the gym entrance. He says that he ate too many chicken nuggets. :/

I actually haven't killed any of the giganto monsters, but I have no idea how to trigger that sidequest.

Oh, and one more thing. What about the Baul races? Did I miss that already?

Thanks for all the help. You too Tamanon! :D

Haha, what the hell? I think there's two entrances to the gym, maybe you can still get in. One's near the entrance and on the left side, and I think another is around the center of the town,

You need to go to the King of Adventure, that traveling wagon place. I think it's near Halure, hopefully it'll work.

For the races go to Myorzo and once you're in the area with the elder and the inn go to the bottom right and talk to the kid there.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Troidal said:
It's now sold at 3980yen(!!!) at Bic Camera, so I picked up a copy. Not sure if I'll open it or try to make some extra bucks out of it. So anyone convince me to play this? I've never been a Tales person.

Ninja Gaiden 2 was 1980yen too, LOL.
Price collapse in Japan already? :(

And MS is still advertising it??

Althane

cann3dheat said:
I'm in the
Forest of Keiv Moc
, and my TP stays at a consistent 55/54. I'l hit an enemy and my TP will actually go down one, then go up, leveling it all out. Is this a glitch, or is it because of my weapon (
Estoc
)?

You have the Rise Attack skill equipped. It's useless, you do more damage, but you never gain TP except at the end of a battle.

Link1110

Man, the bosses in this game are brutal. I'm currently getting my ass kicked by
Zaki, on that ship.

Oh, and it's Live Garo, the opposite of Death Garo (fever.)

15 hours in and I'm ready to say this a top 5 360 game. I can't see how a JRPG fan who owns a 360 can go without it.

In fact, I can't see how anyone can not say that Tales of Vesperia is the best JRPG on any current gen console.

KingJ2002

Papercuts said:
I see that now, jeez, that huge dungeon was only a part of the whole thing.

I also have a question about the ending:
When they used all of the blastia to destroy the Adephagos, why didn't Raven die? And hell, why didn't he die earlier after they revealed he was Schwann? I don't recall it being explained how he survived being crushed.

raven's heart blastia is powered by his life force as the core instead of apatheia so technically it would continue to work. i suppose when he was being crushed... his will to live kicked it into overdrive and allowed him to escape. but this is just an assumption to an already asinine plot device.

honestly i as expecting raven to turn into a spirit at the end... but i assume this is the reason why he didn't.

Althane

Link1110 said:
Man, the bosses in this game are brutal. I'm currently getting my ass kicked by
Zaki, on that ship.

Oh, and it's Live Garo, the opposite of Death Garo (fever.)

I prefer to call him bloody mc bloody blooden. Murder.

Kill.

Blood.

The bosses in the game WERE brutal, until I got a few levels ahead of the curve.... so, yeah.

Firestorm

Use spoiler tags when discussing the fucking story! I don't want to know what happens or doesn't happen to Raven or Flynn or anyone else.

Papercuts

Just got to the desert at level 60. :lol

The first Giganto monster gave 100K experience, it bumped me from 52 to 57.

h3ro

I'm interested in picking this up soon. I went through the demo though and was totally lost with some of the advanced techniques though. Does the game do a good job of easing you into the more advanced battle techniques? If not, is there some sort of tutorial?

h3ro said:
I'm interested in picking this up soon. I went through the demo though and was totally lost with some of the advanced techniques though. Does the game do a good job of easing you into the more advanced battle techniques? If not, is there some sort of tutorial?

It'll ease you in well, but the bosses in this game can really be brutal, but by the time you get to them you will understand the battle system better and have more items.

duckroll

manzo said:
Yep, it's in the "wagon" already. Saw the pics on 2chan. :/

I wonder if it's really a "price collapse" as much as market dynamics. ToV was released in Asia 2 weeks ago, coded NTSC/J for both the English and the Japanese versions. They're both about 40 USD. Wouldn't the existance of such a product automatically make the full priced Japanese version drop in value and demand?

h3ro

crowphoenix said:
It'll ease you in well, but the bosses in this game can really be brutal, but by the time you get to them you will understand the battle system better and have more items.

Great. Thanks for that.

Top Bottom