• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

madhtr

Coverly said:
I checked there and there is a check mark by the pack with the only option being to download it again. I also tried deleting the pack and continuing the game but when i tried to load it said that the pack was missing and wouldn't let me play again until the pack was downloaded once more. Weird. It knows the pack is there but for some reason the contents of it aren't activated yet. oh well. -_-
You have to go into the game, into the item menu, use the right trigger to get to the XBox Live section, then you have to use the item there. It's the same way for any of the DLC that you download for the game.

I always make it a point to play an RPG from time to time. The last one I played was Lost Odyssey. While I liked the game for what it was, I think I've had my fill of turn based combat for now.

I am excited that both Tales Vesperia and Infinite Undiscovery seem to take the opposite route by going to real time combat. If anyone in this thread that has played both games, which one is more fun for a more "casual" RPG gamer? I know Tales is getting better reviews, but is that because it is a really hardcore RPG that is too overwhelming for someone who normally does not go too deep into this genre?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Even though it's not cakewalk Tales is definitely more casual than the usual tri-Ace game, I'd go with Vesperia.

Firestorm

FirstInHell said:
I always make it a point to play an RPG from time to time. The last one I played was Lost Odyssey. While I liked the game for what it was, I think I've had my fill of turn based combat for now.

I am excited that both Tales Vesperia and Infinite Undiscovery seem to take the opposite route by going to real time combat. If anyone in this thread that has played both games, which one is more fun for a more "casual" RPG gamer? I know Tales is getting better reviews, but is that because it is a really hardcore RPG that is too overwhelming for someone who normally does not go too deep into this genre?
It's good for an casual RPG player. I'm one myself. Symphonia was many people's first RPG I think and this one is very similar.

Bebpo

Banned
Papercuts said:
Atleast with the ending you could stretch some theory like his blastia is powered by life force and not aer so it wasn't needed, though I also thought he was going to die.

What I REALLY want to know is how he survived right after the Schwann thing, the whole placed caved in and he just shows up later like "lol hai". I really liked the revelation until that. :p

Yeah, I would've liked the twist if they actually killed him and you lost him as a character.

Him showing up immediately at the next dungeon and re-joining kinda killed that whole plot twist and fake-death impact.

Amon37

Ok I need someone to check the their collector or monster book, since I slacked on magic lens'.

I need some tortoise tails and swear I've fought every palette swapped one and can't get any, can someone tell me which one drops them?

Amon37 said:
Ok I need someone to check the their collector or monster book, since I slacked on magic lens'.

I need some tortoise tails and swear I've fought every palette swapped one and can't get any, can someone tell me which one drops them?

I remember getting quite a few when I went to that crystal cave.

Althane

Not. Just. You.

They put her as a King in the Poker. NOT. JUST. YOU.

Besides, it's hawt. Sorta.

Judith would be more awesome.

^_^;;

Anyways, anyone tried the automated grade farming? It's pretty good, takes a while, but gets you decent grade, and dammit, I can do something else rather than mash A!

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I think Yuri and Judy would make a great couple. Estelle is too out there and Rita..well..ya know. Or that Kaufmann chick. She totally wants Yuri.

Althane

It's more than a vibe... it's' pretty clear. =P

So, do you still get the 1k of grade if you beat the game? I'm at about 13k grade, and wondering if I should farm out 2 or 3k more....

Firestorm

Ugh. What the hell. The EX Dungeon is bullshit.
Boss after Boss with no saving. I died. What level were you guys when you did this?

Bebpo

Banned
Firestorm said:
Boss after Boss with no saving. I died. What level were you guys when you did this?

That's not the bad part. The bad part is that you'll have to run through it 5+ times before you can finish it :\

I went in at lvl.67 and it was a breeze. But then again I had the fell arms which killed everything in under 60 seconds.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
How are the story and voice acting in this game? Everyone who's tried to describe comes off as vague to me. Are they good or are they cheesy and cliched (I say this because reviews on ToV tend to say something to the effect of "the story was standard JRPG fare, but OMG it's good" which, in turn, tends to confuse me.

Firestorm

dirtmonkey37 said:
How are the story and voice acting in this game? Everyone who's tried to describe comes off as vague to me. Are they good or are they cheesy and cliched (I say this because reviews on ToV tend to say something to the effect of "the story was standard JRPG fare, but OMG it's good" which, in turn, tends to confuse me.
Characters are good. Voice acting is good. Story is a mixed bag. Standard RPG fare but has some real highlights as well. Tales games are about character interaction and I'd say that Yuri and Flynn definitely deliver.

I'm at 93 hours and I don't know why. I just keep playing and playing and playing. I haven't even gone far into the final dungeon yet. I'm at 73 with Yuri. and will probably be higher when I fight the boss. Stupid alter arts and cooking.

Do I need to load the end of the game save file for all my kills to count towards the next playthrough? I just started a 2nd playthrough and Abyssion is super weak.

Firestorm

Jamesfrom818 said:
Do I need to load the end of the game save file for all my kills to count towards the next playthrough? I just started a 2nd playthrough and Abyssion is super weak.
Start a New Game EX using your old save file that you saved after finishing the game.

Jonnyram

Firestorm said:
Level 154, thanks to the 10x exp upgrade :lol

Firestorm said:
Start a New Game EX using your old save file that you saved after finishing the game.

I just did but now I have two of each Fell Arms and they're all super weak. I pretty much bought everything in the Grade Shop. Is there something I'm missing here?

EDIT: It seems that the Fell Arms reset to 0 for every playthrough.

Firestorm

Found the OST and apparently what I called Yuri's Theme is called "A Tragic Decision" and Dahngrest Theme is "A Vow of Unity". The remix I liked is "Resolution of the People".

What lvl should I be when at the
ghost ship
?

It's bascially the first thing I've found when you first get control of the
boat
. Am I suppose to find it at that point, or is it more of a sidequest thing?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
PseudoKirby said:
I SEE NO RITA RAINBOWS

no dice, rita is all mine :(
149waqp.gif

Firestorm

gregor7777 said:
What lvl should I be when at the
ghost ship
?

It's bascially the first thing I've found when you first get control of the
boat
. Am I suppose to find it at that point, or is it more of a sidequest thing?
Yeah youdo it now. It's a story event.

I've taken Yuri and Karol through the 100 man Melee in the coliseum. Can I expect the same such awesomeness with the rest of the characters?

Karol is so damn dense.

Karol: Nan, why are we fighting?
Nan: I... I like strong men, like Master.
Karol: What does that have to do with me?

Having that kind of stuff pop up midbattle really makes these fights a treat.

Also, any tips on getting the mages through? I tried last night with Rita and spent 7 minutes fighting one of the sub bosses, much to my shame.

Jonnyram

Rita: OVL + Tidal Wave spam is easy, even on the 200 man version.
Estelle is the only hard one - you're gonna have to melee basically, but she has a few good melee artes anyway.

Jonnyram said:
Rita: OVL + Tidal Wave spam is easy, even on the 200 man version.
Estelle is the only hard one - you're gonna have to melee basically, but she has a few good melee artes anyway.

I was afraid of that. are there any OVL skills I should select? I had a skill that said I could hold A to run while charging a spell, but I couldn't get that to work.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
I'm at the last dungeon finally, I'm about level 70-75.

Do you get different things for beating all the arena battles with each character?
Or is it just the titles for each character beating the 200 Man Battle?

Princess Skittles said:
I'm at the last dungeon finally, I'm about level 70-75.

Do you get different things for beating all the arena battles with each character?
Or is it just the titles for each character beating the 200 Man Battle?

For the arena,
on the 100 man melee, you get a weapon and a piece of armor for each character you beat it with. And so far, you seem to get some really fun in battle dialog to go with it.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
crowphoenix said:
For the arena,
on the 100 man melee, you get a weapon and a piece of armor for each character you beat it with. And so far, you seem to get some really fun in battle dialog to go with it.
Thanks. So 30, 50 and 80 only need to be completed with one character then?

Gribbix

crowphoenix said:
For the arena,

Just make sure to have all 3 challenge letters before you attempt the 100 man melee. The first time I did it, I only had the challenge letters from
Flynn and Gauche/Droite
so all I got was some gels and gald. I didn't get any of the good items until I did the 100 man melee again after I got the third challenge letter from
the Hunting Blades.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Gribbix said:
Just make sure to have all 3 challenge letters before you attempt the 100 man melee. The first time I did it, I only had the challenge letters from
Flynn and Gauche/Droite
so all I got was some gels and gald. I didn't get any of the good items until I did the 100 man melee again after I got the third challenge letter from
the Hunting Blades.
Cool, I think I have all of those!

Also, I have ZERO battle escapes and now the game is making me do it an undermined number of times to get a weapon. ;___;

It shall be a blemish on my Battle Record.

Princess Skittles said:
Cool, I think I have all of those!

Also, I have ZERO battle escapes and now the game is making me do it an undermined number of times to get a weapon. ;___;

It shall be a blemish on my Battle Record.

I have to do the run thing too. I've only got seven, and I hate running.

Princess Skittles said:
Thanks. So 30, 50 and 80 only need to be completed with one character then?

I only beat them with Yuri, so yep.

dralla

what the heck, where do I go?

I killed Raven and it said Alexei was taking Estelle back to the capital, I go there and there's nothing to do.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
dralla said:
what the heck, where do I go?

I killed Raven and it said Alexei was taking Estelle back to the capital, I go there and there's nothing to do.

when he was schwann?

Top Bottom