• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

Firestorm

Yeah, it's an easter egg. I haven't viewed it in Nam Camboda Isle so maybe that's why mine still doesn't alternate. I've tried it like 5 times.

BobM

So i picked this game up today, i have wanted to get it for some time now and finally had a nopportuhnity to get it. I started to play thorugh with my Wife and we are having alot of fun so far. One hting htat made me very mad though is that we could not for hte life of me figure out how to use estelle to heal anyone but herself.

I read thorugh the guide 4 or 5 times and just could not figure it out. I did some online research and it appears you can use the d=pad to direct healing magic to allies? I will be trying this out soon, but am still upset this did not seem to be explained very well. Playing thorugh with my wife in the first few hours we died several times only becasue we could not figure htis out and did not have access to many gummies yet.

Other hten that i am having a blast playing co-op with my wife, it is very hard to find a co-op rpg that she can get into, so i am happy that she seems to be enjoying playing this one.

BobM said:
So i picked this game up today, i have wanted to get it for some time now and finally had a nopportuhnity to get it. I started to play thorugh with my Wife and we are having alot of fun so far. One hting htat made me very mad though is that we could not for hte life of me figure out how to use estelle to heal anyone but herself.

I read thorugh the guide 4 or 5 times and just could not figure it out. I did some online research and it appears you can use the d=pad to direct healing magic to allies? I will be trying this out soon, but am still upset this did not seem to be explained very well. Playing thorugh with my wife in the first few hours we died several times only becasue we could not figure htis out and did not have access to many gummies yet.

Other hten that i am having a blast playing co-op with my wife, it is very hard to find a co-op rpg that she can get into, so i am happy that she seems to be enjoying playing this one.
D-pad left/right while casting. For extra safety once you get overlimits, hold A until you've successfully selected your target (underneath the characters box, it'll say P2 Target to indicate P2 is targeting that character with a spell; in this case, Estelle would be P2). Holding A prevents accidentally going into overlimit while trying to select a target.

Since I'm posting already...I've been playing this game with two of my friends, and it's been an absolute blast. The leader is Repede, second buddy is Estelle, and I'm Rita. We've become quite the destructive posse. Light Magic + 10 Fireballs = absurd.

I just beat 100-man melee with Rita on my first try, Milky Way's Resilience skill, combined with Levitation, makes survival much much easier. Death from above!

One random question: does anyone know exactly how Rita's "Recast" ability works? It seems to imply you can resume casting a spell from where you were interrupted, but I'm not sure how it triggers.

Tarazet

I've only been playing this a few hours, but the combo system has me mystified. With Yuri I haven't been able to get more than six hits in a row. I have the first three Artes - any suggestions for combo recipes to get my feet wet?

sonarrat said:
I've only been playing this a few hours, but the combo system has me mystified. With Yuri I haven't been able to get more than six hits in a row. I have the first three Artes - any suggestions for combo recipes to get my feet wet?
While I'm not overly familiar with melee in Vesperia, it seems like you won't be able to get overly ridiculous until your artes evolve (through using them numerous times) and you gain access to the Combo abilities that allow you to link artes into other artes.

Firestorm

sonarrat said:
You get higher combos as your get multi-hit artes and as you get skills that allow you to link different types of artes. For now, all you can really do is six basic hits followed by a base arte followed by an arcane arte.

On your Arte screen, keep pressing down until you hit the screen giving you options to set to your right analog stick. You can set skills for other party members here. Making them attack as your combo runs out can keep a combo going as you go through your follow up animation.

Tarazet

Firestorm said:
You get higher combos as your get multi-hit artes and as you get skills that allow you to link different types of artes. For now, all you can really do is six basic hits followed by a base arte followed by an arcane arte.

On your Arte screen, keep pressing down until you hit the screen giving you options to set to your right analog stick. You can set skills for other party members here. Making them attack as your combo runs out can keep a combo going as you go through your follow up animation.

Oh sweet! I didn't realize I could command other party members to help me out. That is going to be a huge help.

Firestorm

sonarrat said:
Oh sweet! I didn't realize I could command other party members to help me out. That is going to be a huge help.
I usually keep Nurse or a variation of Nurse on hand in every Tales game =P In Eternia I had Meredy casting that non-stop...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Finally my 360 is getting shipped back, in just a few short days I'll be able to become addicted to this again. =D

sonarrat said:

If you're purely going for combos, it's still more beneficial to wait it out for more advanced skills and multihit artes. Things that add a hit or two to your combo or help artes link together mixed with commanding party members to attack to hold the combo from breaking is the key to high numbers.

Firestorm said:
I usually keep Nurse or a variation of Nurse on hand in every Tales game =P In Eternia I had Meredy casting that non-stop...

Except Estelle's AI is complete shit and she takes way too long to cast (when she ever bothers) to be of any use even if her AI wasn't complete shit.

Karol and Raven are much more effective.

Firestorm

Yes, I was going to add that about Estelle. I'm really not sure why but Estelle's AI is complete crap in this game. Raven's also sort of annoying in that he uses his Artes way too fast even though that's not what I have him set to. The problem with his Love Shot was that it doesn't heal as much as Estelle can with Nightingale or Revitalize.

Firestorm

Papercuts said:
It doesn't heal as much, but it's also an instant cast for spammability.
I've almost used it as a desperate attempt to stall while Estelle finishes casting. His healing is really only enough to cancel off one combo by a boss.

Firestorm

elbkhm said:
I can't even see your pictures from work, but it sounds like you're stuck in the same place I was. In the red room (the area connected to the crystal place, with the monsters in jars) there's a pair of switches on the floor on the left and right sides that extend the bridges you're looking for.
I knew someone was stuck in this dungeon and I went back to see what help he got. Thank you so much for posting this. I've been running back and forth for god knows how long and this was it.

Papercuts

Firestorm said:
I've almost used it as a desperate attempt to stall while Estelle finishes casting. His healing is really only enough to cancel off one combo by a boss.

That's true. I usually use Estelle for bosses and Raven for everything else because of that, I no longer need to deal with Estelle casting revitalize during random fights where only one person needs healing. :lol

Even during bosses she needs a lot of babysitting. Usually when someone dies I instantly bring them back with a life bottle, then ~15 seconds later I hear RESURRECTION! which goes to complete waste.

Jonnyram

Case said:
So overall, whos the most efficient healer?
If you just need HP recovery, Raven. But if you're in an area with status effects out the wazoo, use Karol because he has a status recovery arte too.

Bebpo

Banned
Jonnyram said:
If you just need HP recovery, Raven. But if you're in an area with status effects out the wazoo, use Karol because he has a status recovery arte too.

...outside of battle. In battle I don't like that Karol has to physically be near a person to cure status/heal. I prefer long range healers.

Papercuts

Bebpo said:
...outside of battle. In battle I don't like that Karol has to physically be near a person to cure status/heal. I prefer long range healers.

His AI tends to do a much better job at intelligent healing, but I agree. I usually rely on First Aid Smash outside of battle to not waste items or Raven/Estelle's TP.

couple other things

when I defeated Nan in the Colosseum, the last attack I did had Yuri leaning over nan as she leaned back in defeat.... looked exactly like Yuri was kissing her.... if only I could have gotten a picture fast enough

also ending the celebration sequence just right as yuri says "you picked the wrong people to F...."
priceless

mugwhump

^Yeah, I like when you interrupt Yuri's overlimit with something: I'M GONNA BLOW YOU--

Can someone tell me, are there any weapons with new skills in the EX dungeon? Are they sweet skills? Cuz I might just skip it and do it on my second playthrough...

Also, what's the max synth level? I'm at 350.

Egg Shen

Case said:
So overall, whos the most efficient healer?
I pretty much used Estelle for everything. I had to turn off certain spells so that she would only cast area of effect ones and ignore casting the lesser crap versions, though, and forced her AI to keep distance as well as focus only on Healing which worked out okay with Nightingale and Revive (?). Karol is great for spot healing once he learns the Arte but I'm guessing the reason he's so effective is because he doesn't have as many options to select from when the AI has to make a decision unlike Estelle who seems to randomly select healing spells unless you narrow her choices or force her to cast something else. Raven was hardly used in my mix and I didn't know he could heal until much later when the party was surprised and he was blasted for damage.

Jonnyram said:
Status effects weren't as much of a problem for me, oddly enough. I was fully expecting to have to deal with a lot of these, but you eventually gather together a decent number of anti-status items early on and stocking Panacea bottles helped immensely later. Most zones seem to focus on particular ones, such as Stone or Paralysis, and I just equipped when necessary. I had more trouble with getting stunned than anything else, but I completely agree with Karol being clutch in battle healing if you need him. Once everyone learned Item Throw, relying on spellcasting to heal their ills didn't become much of an issue for me.

screw this memory place, its unfair damnit I got all the way to zagi on my first try and ran out of items, in the end I was running around as estelle (last one alive, ALWAYS) wearing a TP regenerator (1%) trying to be able to resurect Yuri...

also why the hell dont those rebirth items EVER work?

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
I finally beat the game last night, at 97 hours.

Duke 3 was a pain in the ass, even at level 86. I wish I could Over Limit every minute.

Bonus Dungeon here I come!

Princess Skittles said:

Duke 3 was a pain in the ass, even at level 86. I wish I could Over Limit every minute.

duke 3? didnt he only have 2 forms?

and now everytime you post I get lost in rita's beauty D:

AndresON777

shooting blanks
How do you do the mystic artes? I have the 3 overlimits thing but I cannot get it to work.

Also,
you don't get any achievements for rescuing Estelle? I thought I would since I got a big one for saving the lower quarter's blastia.

Blackjack

ChrisGoldstein said:
How do you do the mystic artes? I have the 3 overlimits thing but I cannot get it to work.

Also,
you don't get any achievements for rescuing Estelle? I thought I would since I got a big one for saving the lower quarter's blastia.
With the 'Special' skill equipped, go into overlimit 3, use an Arcane or Burst Arte (either works) and hold down the Attack button.

Princess Skittles said:

My two friends and I fought Duke3 at level 71, and wow, that was a tense battle. Fortunately, we had just gotten Estelle Revive, so that helped out immeasurably. Big Bang was most often countered though a combined overlimit spam of Nightinggale and Meteor Storm, with Repede alternating between full assault and kite tanking, depending on his HP.

Once we finish up affairs in this playthrough, we're going to try an EX playthrough on the new difficulty setting. Should be exciting.

Firestorm

PseudoKirby said:
ok I am sick of this, where the hell is Gucci and Drought?

I need that damn letter of challenge
It took me a while to realize you meant Gauche and Droite. That is some major bastardization of names there.

Gauche = Left in French
Droite = Right in French

PseudoKirby said:
where are they though? D:
Back where you
kicked Yeager's ass, in Zaude.

But I think you have to visit
Capula Nor or Torim, whichever's the one that has the Fortune's Market HQ, for a cutscene first.

yeb

For Gauche and Droit, you also have to...
1. See a scene at Ehmead hill. Enter from the west side, go into the monster trail, and explore a bit until you get a scene.
2. Go to Mt. Temza for another scene near the entrance.
After those and the event in Capua Torim, you can finally fight them.

Anyway, I wrote an Artes Guide:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox360/file/945075/54226
Be sure to check out the section on how artes improve; there's a lot of ridiculous info that I wouldn't have been able to find without a Japanese wiki.

yeb said:
1. See a scene at Ehmead hill. Enter from the west side, go into the monster trail, and explore a bit until you get a scene.

Be sure to check out the section on how artes improve; there's a lot of ridiculous info that I wouldn't have been able to find without a Japanese wiki.

I have seen a scene in both those places you mean the
Raven flower scenes?

Jonnyram

yeb said:
Nice. Wolf Strike also increases the possbility to break the opponents guard as the number of uses increases. After 9999 uses, it will 100% break the opponent's guard. It increases after 100, 200, 300, etc. 1% at a time, I think.

Hey guys. I have a few questions because I suck:

(I'm at the VERY end of the game. One step away from the final boss.)

1) How do you do guild quests? I hear you go to some guy in Dahngrest, but nothing is happening for me...

2) How do you get the Bunny Guild Achievement? I joined it in Dahngrest but got nothing.

3) How do you activate the right-hand teleporter in the final dungeon? It seems like it can make you access other treasures. What am I missing here?

4) I just learned that one of the titles you obtain is only obtained if you get every Secret Mission. I did every one but 17. I'm planning to do a second playthrough, though. If I skipped every one except 17 on my playthrough, would that count, or no?

5) How do you get the 200-man melees activated?

6) Is there anything in the game that you can't access in the first playthough other than the bonus dungeon?

And, screw the haters, the final dungeon music kicks ass.

Thanks to the brave soul who is tacking these questions.

goldenpp72

4) I just learned that one of the titles you obtain is only obtained if you get every Secret Mission. I did every one but 17. I'm planning to do a second playthrough, though. If I skipped every one except 17 on my playthrough, would that count, or no?

from what I know, no, you need them all at once. I got em all at once :D

This brings me to my question, i didn't do anything to activate a secret dungeon for a second play through, does this mean I have to do a third one?

yeb

Jonnyram said:
Nice. Wolf Strike also increases the possbility to break the opponents guard as the number of uses increases. After 9999 uses, it will 100% break the opponent's guard. It increases after 100, 200, 300, etc. 1% at a time, I think.
There are actually lots of artes that have (or gain) a chance to guard break, it's pretty much the biggest thing I skipped. I'll probably go back and add all of them once I actually understand the mechanic a little more - I'd like to experiment with it during SM 17 on my replay.

FateBreaker said:

3) How do you activate the right-hand teleporter in the final dungeon? It seems like it can make you access other treasures. What am I missing here?
I think it's after you beat the game once, but basically, you have to traipse all the way up to a certain point of the dungeon, at which point you can find a door that takes you on an alternate path ALL THE WAY BACK DOWN to the first floor. Then you unlock the right hand elevator on the first floor, and voila.

Firestorm

yeb said:

REMOVE YOUR EMAIL!
You will not believe the amount of years of shit from morons I got even after removing my email from my guides. Stupid internets.

FateBreaker said:

(I'm at the VERY end of the game. One step away from the final boss.)

1) How do you do guild quests? I hear you go to some guy in Dahngrest, but nothing is happening for me...
You would have had to start them a long time ago. I missed out too.

2) How do you get the Bunny Guild Achievement? I joined it in Dahngrest but got nothing.
Talk to the guy again after getting more titles. You need 80% of the titles or something before he gives you all the attachments. Then wear those for 5 hours and you get the achievement.

Go to the cave area of the final dungeon, right near the end. After you finish the entire area (so sorceror's ring everything), you should be able to exit on the east side. Follow that path and finish. Don't do this until you beat the game I think. Or at least just before you do... hit the final save point.

No. You'll have to do every secret mission on one playthrough.

5) How do you get the 200-man melees activated?
Finish the EX Dungeon, get all 3 challenges I think, do 100 man melee with 3 characters.

6) Is there anything in the game that you can't access in the first playthough other than the bonus dungeon?
Bonus dungeon can be done on the first playthrough if you went to Phaeroh's Crag again just before Zaude. I don't think anything requires the second playthrough except all the stuff you missed on the first. Oh and the Skit Viewer which you unlock using the Grade Shop

And, screw the haters, the final dungeon music kicks ass.

Thanks to the brave soul who is tacking these questions.

What does grade do? I was having a hell of a time on a boss and dialed it down to easy after dying 5 times.

Does switching it down to easy every now and again screw something up with leveling my characters?

Top Bottom