• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

Firestorm

FirstInHell said:
What does grade do? I was having a hell of a time on a boss and dialed it down to easy after dying 5 times.

Does switching it down to easy every now and again screw something up with leveling my characters?
Grade is used after you beat the game to buy bonuses for your next playthrough. Examples include carrying over skills or artes, making all skills or artes cost 1 TP, carrying over your monster book, 10x exp, 0.5x exp, and tons of other things. Don't worry about it too much. When I beat the game, I only had around 1300 grade. You can make a bajillion grade with no effort after beating the game and using a trick with Rita.

crowphoenix said:
Curious about something, did anyone else really dislike the last dungeon's music, or is it just me?
I thought it was decent.

Coverly

Trying to get the enchating belle title for estelle,

the guide says:

Enchanting Belle (Costume)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
During your second visit to Heliord, you will be asked to pick Estelle,
Karol or Judith to seduce the guard near the lift. After Zaude, return
to Heliord and speak to the merchant in the Inn to get the title
automatically for the character you chose. For the other two, bring
him 2 Spirit Fragments, 1 Cheagle Fur, and 3 Cockatrice Claws for each
other costume.

I went back after Zaude, talked to the Inn Merchant, but I didn't get any titles
or options for the other characters. Is it suppose to be automatic once you
talk to the merchant?

Also, I don't think I've done any sidequests or any deviation from the main plot.
Is the official guide worth getting for the sidequests/cooking/etc..?

yeb

Coverly said:
Trying to get the enchating belle title for estelle,
Also, I don't think I've done any sidequests or any deviation from the main plot.
Is the official guide worth getting for the sidequests/cooking/etc..?
Is your party full again? Many sidequests require a full party to trigger them. Also, the official guide is supposedly terrible, I don't think I've heard anything good about it.

Coverly

yeb said:
Is your party full again? Many sidequests require a full party to trigger them. Also, the official guide is supposedly terrible, I don't think I've heard anything good about it.

You know, I don't think it was when I went. It is now so I'll head back. Thanks.

Also,
I like the avatars in the skits but I couldn't find any of them online,
does anyone know a site with really good media(avatars,wallpapers,artwork) on Vesperia?
Seems like this content is really thin on the net.

Princess Skittles said:
I finally beat the game last night, at 97 hours.

Duke 3 was a pain in the ass, even at level 86. I wish I could Over Limit every minute.

Bonus Dungeon here I come!

Considering your avator your complaint rings hollow. You can PERMA Over Limit with Rita and beat everything senseless while they're completely incapable of fighting back EXCEPT when they OL.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
My Arms Your Hearse said:
Considering your avator your complaint rings hollow. You can PERMA Over Limit with Rita and beat everything senseless while they're completely incapable of fighting back EXCEPT when they OL.

On bosses too? What spell lets you loop OL on a single enemy?

Papercuts said:

The ground spells tear new ones in larger bosses like the Giganto monsters. Since you can't knock them up, they just fall to the ground and take the beating of their lives.

yeb said:
For Gauche and Droit, you also have to...
1. See a scene at Ehmead hill. Enter from the west side, go into the monster trail, and explore a bit until you get a scene.
2. Go to Mt. Temza for another scene near the entrance.
After those and the event in Capua Torim, you can finally fight them.

Anyway, I wrote an Artes Guide:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox360/file/945075/54226
Be sure to check out the section on how artes improve; there's a lot of ridiculous info that I wouldn't have been able to find without a Japanese wiki.

Awesome guide.

Firestorm

It was never posted in this thread and I just found out, but Tales of Vesperia sold 33,000 copies in the US in August. It was the first four days of sales. Really the first three as no stores had it on the 26th afaik. August 26th - August 30th. It was ranked #58.

That's definitely more than Legendia which was around 20k iirc. I think Abyss was around 40 - 50k? They both had more time. I think Vesperia will end up higher than both of those.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I just beat the game and beat Duke's third form with everyone at level 76ish. This game was awesome as shit. I completed almost all of the sidequests and everything thanks to some guides but unfortunately I didnt start using guides until the end of the game and missed the stupid side quest to be able to access the EX Dungeon. So now I am caught in a dilemma; play through the game with 1/2 exp and get those low level achievements or say fuck it and get 10x XP/Gald and just rush through the game so I can do the EX dungeon, yet be sad that my level 75s are straight worthless. Also, the last and the most probable option, just stop playing it. Oh well, it's been nice Tales of Vesperia, 60 hours of my life gone and I do not regret it one bit.

Papercuts said:

Bloody Howling, Ground Dasher, Advanced Fire Spell (forget name). Probably others too, but there's not much of a reason to use anything else.

I find Bloody Howling to be the best, but some of the Giganto Monsters are weak to Ground Dasher and it just crushes them. Bloody Howling does more damage generally, though, and hits more times in faster succession. You should have zero problems keeping up OL with BH. Also, make sure someone in the group has OL Boost equipped (skill that makes OL last a lot longer).

Bloody Howling doesn't quite have the crowd control capabilities of the other two, but it will keep the enemies mostly locked down AND standing (depending on what you have your other characters doing). This means they take FULL damage the whole time, as opposed to Ground Dasher when they fall down and take half damage or Fire Spell when they are sucked into the air and take half damage + nobody else can really even hit them.

Dragon

Banned
Just started in on this last night and couldn't stop smiling. A welcome change from the 'stuck in mud' feeling I got in Lost Odyssey with the battle system. Can't wait to play after work.

stupid fucking teamates and their whoring out of MY LIFEBOTLES

GOD DAMNIT LET ESTELLE RESURECT YOU IDIOTS

and this makes no sense, lose to
dukes second form, then the fell arms and third form
scene STILL HAPPEN, and I think the game fills my life back up.. no, it goes through all that scenes to go RIGHT BACK TO A DEFEATED SCREEN

also I MUST know, I already beat the game, but one of the achievements is
defeat duke with a mystic art

so the only reason I am losing is because I am trying my damndest to not use any over limits so I can do that
ANYWAY
with this third form, is the achievement based off of beating his second form with the mystic art, or now with the third form I have to use it on that?

Egg Shen

PseudoKirby said:
also I MUST know, I already beat the game, but one of the achievements is
defeat duke with a mystic art

so the only reason I am losing is because I am trying my damndest to not use any over limits so I can do that
ANYWAY
with this third form, is the achievement based off of beating his second form with the mystic art, or now with the third form I have to use it on that?
Turn off items in the AI menu to keep them from burning through your supply.

You don't need to beat Duke's third form with a mystic arte to get the achievement, at least I didn't because I didn't find all of the Fell Arms at the time. It took some doing, though. After getting him down to about 10-15K, I went in and edited everyone's strategy to do absolutely nothing while using Yuri to set him up for his Mystic Arte. I used Duke's first and most of his second stage change to practice with limit bottles and even then, it was still tricky.

Spoilers, dude. The tags are messed up.

Anyway, I got it when I beat
Duke's second form, but the Achievement is just for beating Duke with a mystic art. So, I imagine it'll have to be the third form with the Fell Arms.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
So I need 15 Fake Gald to beat the bonus dungeon, but I've been through it twice and only found one piece each time, counting the one you get when you enter, that leaves me at three pieces. This is yet another absolutely moronic thing this game does. On the plus side, I'll probably get my 10,000,000 Gald achievement by the time I'm done with this crap. Gold Cat with 6,000,000 Gald for an automatic 120 hit combo on Giganto bosses is sexy though.

Princess Skittles said:
So I need 15 Fake Gald to beat the bonus dungeon, but I've been through it twice and only found one piece each time, counting the one you get when you enter, that leaves me at three pieces. This is yet another absolutely moronic thing this game does. On the plus side, I'll probably get my 10,000,000 Gald achievement by the time I'm done with this crap. Gold Cat with 6,000,000 Gald for an automatic 120 hit combo on Giganto bosses is sexy though.

I got three my first time through. I think it is determined by the amount of big bosses you manage to run into through the run, but I agree, it's bull.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
crowphoenix said:
I got three my first time through. I think it is determined by the amount of big bosses you manage to run into through the run, but I agree, it's bull.
I'm thinking about bailing out and doing this during my 10x Experience run, if I have to do the dungeon ten times I might as well let it count towards the Max Grinding achievement. Oh well, at least this is a pretty easy bonus dungeon, the bonus dungeon on Tales of Destiny PS2 was insane.

Egg Shen said:
Turn off items in the AI menu to keep them from burning through your supply.

You don't need to beat Duke's third form with a mystic arte to get the achievement, at least I didn't because I didn't find all of the Fell Arms at the time. It took some doing, though. After getting him down to about 10-15K, I went in and edited everyone's strategy to do absolutely nothing while using Yuri to set him up for his Mystic Arte. I used Duke's first and most of his second stage change to practice with limit bottles and even then, it was still tricky.
I like their use of EVERY OTHER ITEM though :(

it sucks, I try my best to cancel out their use of life bottles but sometimes I am not quick enough, and others they try immediately afterwards to do it again...

I HAVE A QUESTION GAF!

Erm, sorry. Anyways...at some point during the last dungeon, Rita's Bloody Howling incantation changed to something completely different. I don't remember exactly how it went, but it was music-related. Then, the next day, it's back to the normal incantation, and I can't figure out why it changed (or how to change it back). Does anyone know? And are there any other artes that have alternate incantations?

mugwhump

^Was it an altered arte?

Anyways, beat it, 150 hours, lv 77. Beat the final boss' third form. Pretty tough. Carried over skills, artes, and got 1 SP skills.

Unknown mode is broken. If you don't carry over equipment, you do 1 damage per hit. If you do carry it over, your enemies do 1 dmg to you and you kill them with a few attacks. I'm gonna have to sell all my overpowered weapons/armor. uguu
How much should I sell to make unknown doable but still challenging?

mugwhump said:
^Was it an altered arte?

Anyways, beat it, 150 hours, lv 77. Beat the final boss' third form. Pretty tough. Carried over skills, artes, and got 1 SP skills.

Unknown mode is broken. If you don't carry over equipment, you do 1 damage per hit. If you do carry it over, your enemies do 1 dmg to you and you kill them with a few attacks. I'm gonna have to sell all my overpowered weapons/armor. uguu
How much should I sell to make unknown doable but still challenging?
GameFAQs, surprisingly, actually proved to be some use. Apparently a number of spells have "quick" incantations, and the longer, normal incantations. Well, I've been using Light Magic for most of the game, so I've apparently grown familiar with the quick incantations. I suspect it was during the time I was trying to learn Heavy Magic that I heard the "unusual" normal incantations. I'll have to test it out this weekend when I can play again.

someone mentioned something about a giganto monster spawning near the spa?

if so how the hell long does it take, and where exactly by the spa, like right next or in the tree's outside of the tree's?

also anyone know a guide for all of these monsters?

d3e4948d50cad3d2ca8c6c2dn0.jpg

Won't You.... start a guild with me?

KingJ2002

PseudoKirby said:

if so how the hell long does it take, and where exactly by the spa, like right next or in the tree's outside of the tree's?

yes... there is a giganto monster named griffin (lvl. 59) on Northeast Yurzorea outside of the forest area (it spawned for me when i was around the edge of the forest area) where the spa is located. it didnt take too long for it to spawn for me since it was the last giganto monster i had to beat... it comes out in the daytime.

Firestorm

PseudoKirby said:

The field just to the east of the spa. Just get out of the trees. Wander around forever. It did a freaking surprise encounter on me.

just got past Part 1 and the only problem I have thus far with the game is the huge amount of invisible walls. otherwise this is the first true next gen RPG I've played

Jonnyram

crowphoenix said:
Spoilers, dude. The tags are messed up.

Anyway, I got it when I beat
Duke's second form, but the Achievement is just for beating Duke with a mystic art. So, I imagine it'll have to be the third form with the Fell Arms.
No, it's still the
second form
, even then.

Papercuts said:
Got my 360 back, onward to more 10x exp fun!

You revert back to level 1 on New Game+.

ahh what? there is no option to transfer levels to a new game+? thats no fun
how the hell am I supposed to reach level 200 then....

KingJ2002 said:
yes... there is a giganto monster named griffin (lvl. 59) on Northeast Yurzorea outside of the forest area (it spawned for me when i was around the edge of the forest area) where the spa is located. it didnt take too long for it to spawn for me since it was the last giganto monster i had to beat... it comes out in the daytime.
oh... no wonder why he hasnt shown up, I guess I already fought him (found em in the monster book)... must have thought he was a normal monster..

what the hell else giganto monsters are there? I have beaten quite a few..

PseudoKirby said:
oh... no wonder why he hasnt shown up, I guess I already fought him (found em in the monster book)... must have thought he was a normal monster..

what the hell else giganto monsters are there? I have beaten quite a few..
Did you
get the one in the desert? It was in the south west of the northern section, I believe. That was the last one I had to find.

crowphoenix said:
Did you
get the one in the desert? It was in the south west of the northern section, I believe. That was the last one I had to find.

in the sands of kogor, or on the world map?

PseudoKirby said:
if thats his name then no I dont see him in the monster book

Not sure what his name really is but you should be able to find him around the north entrance to Deidon Hold. I don't think he even spawns on the map. You'll just get dragged into a surprise attack.

Jamesfrom818 said:
Not sure what his name really is but you should be able to find him around the north entrance to Deidon Hold. I don't think he even spawns on the map. You'll just get dragged into a surprise attack.

no he spawned, and thanks, found him beat him achievement awesome

Coverly

Question on the town where Duke is considered a sage:

1. Did they ever explain why duke proclaimed the town a sanctuary?

2. Was the time difference between the town and the ghost ship ever explained?
The girl thought it was only 3 years since the ship left but it was actually a 1000 years, right?

Firestorm

Coverly said:
Question on the town where Duke is considered a sage:

1. Did they ever explain why duke proclaimed the town a sanctuary?

2. Was the time difference between the town and the ghost ship ever explained?
The girl thought it was only 3 years since the ship left but it was actually a 1000 years, right?
It's explained in a sidequest. Visit Phaeroh's Crag before going into Zaude. It's part of the events required to unlock the EX Dungeon.

Coverly

Firestorm said:
It's explained in a sidequest. Visit Phaeroh's Crag before going into Zaude. It's part of the events required to unlock the EX Dungeon.

thanks! I'll try to find a save before Zaude.

Top Bottom