• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Hmmm...never heard the destruction field thing.

Whenever I use rain, the first thing it does is change to rainsong. Raven isn't really part of my main but for just that battle.

Kadey said:
Hmmm...never heard the destruction field thing.

Whenever I use rain, the first thing it does is change to rainsong. Raven isn't really part of my main but for just that battle.
Change his weapon/skills. He's got Athenor/Crucible/Deluge/one of those skill changing ability going on.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Mrcapcom said:
im not sure how to do the spoiler thing
can't i just get more gald and transfer that into chips?

Fastest way to get chips is to play poker, yes you can use gald but it takes quite a bit.

Firestorm

Pankaks said:
Fastest way to get chips is to play poker, yes you can use gald but it takes quite a bit.
yeah. gald -> chips is just doing it wrong. I did it the other way around to get the 1mil gald achievement.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Firestorm said:
yeah. gald -> chips is just doing it wrong. I did it the other way around to get the 1mil gald achievement.

You mean buying 99 items and going to yumanju to sell them? Thanks, I actually forgot to do this on my second run ^.^

Firestorm

Pankaks said:
You mean buying 99 items and going to yumanju to sell them? Thanks, I actually forgot to do this on my second run ^.^
I had so many friggin chips I didn't even bother trying to get most bang for chips. Also had to do 20 at a time since it was my first playthrough.

Pancakes

Firestorm said:
I had so many friggin chips I didn't even bother trying to get most bang for chips. Also had to do 20 at a time since it was my first playthrough.

I am so sorry. :lol :lol

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Hmmm...I wonder if that's the reason why it's not working. Because rain keeps changing to rainsong. :lol I get Raven in OL and spam the hell out of it, hitting him over half a dozen times at least.

I'm noticing a bunch of details which are pretty cool. Like Karol covering up whenever he makes an insult to Rita.

Yuri is the best main character personality wise in a game this generation. He's so cool.

Mrcapcom

One last thing guys can I get the into on how to get alot of chips I had a guide for it but I can't find it anywhere I swore it was on gamefaqs.
I checked my grade and it was like 1k so im gonna try grade farming/chip farming etc to get more grade then ill go pwn
Duke

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Kadey said:
Hmmm...I wonder if that's the reason why it's not working. Because rain keeps changing to rainsong. :lol I get Raven in OL and spam the hell out of it, hitting him over half a dozen times at least.

I'm noticing a bunch of details which are pretty cool. Like Karol covering up whenever he makes an insult to Rita.

Yuri is the best main character personality wise in a game this generation. He's so cool.

Yeah, rainsong won't count, you need to take off whatever skill he has that's changing it.

I thought i'd throw this out here. After i wrap up Lost odyssey i'm thinking of playing a tales game. Should i play Abyss or Vesperia? I own both and i'm not sure which to tackle first.

NewLib

Banned
I just started Vesparia. Im about six hours in and I am in the first port town.

So far its been pretty fun. I always liked the Tales combat system.

The story is ... well interesting. Im sure it will expand quickly, but right now it just seems to be dragging.

My one dissapointment was that I had heard from others that the characters in this Tales game were better than the usual Tales character. Yuri is pretty cool, but every other (human) character I could find in atleast two different Tales games with a slight twist. Naive and pure-hearted girl. A boy who acts like he is much older but is still a scared boy. A stubborn mage. Im hoping I am wrong and these characters get fleshed out a bit more, but they just aren't doing anything for me right now.

Firestorm

Mrcapcom said:
One last thing guys can I get the into on how to get alot of chips I had a guide for it but I can't find it anywhere I swore it was on gamefaqs.
I checked my grade and it was like 1k so im gonna try grade farming/chip farming etc to get more grade then ill go pwn
Duke
Chips is easy... Just play the poker game and do the double or nothing thing.

NewLib said:
I just started Vesparia. Im about six hours in and I am in the first port town.

So far its been pretty fun. I always liked the Tales combat system.

The story is ... well interesting. Im sure it will expand quickly, but right now it just seems to be dragging.

My one dissapointment was that I had heard from others that the characters in this Tales game were better than the usual Tales character. Yuri is pretty cool, but every other (human) character I could find in atleast two different Tales games with a slight twist. Naive and pure-hearted girl. A boy who acts like he is much older but is still a scared boy. A stubborn mage. Im hoping I am wrong and these characters get fleshed out a bit more, but they just aren't doing anything for me right now.
Most people just refer to Yuri when they say that I think. I didn't see the rest of the cast as anything special. Abyss had the best cast if you combined them. Vesperia had the best lead. This is only out of the ones I've played.

gketter said:
I thought i'd throw this out here. After i wrap up Lost odyssey i'm thinking of playing a tales game. Should i play Abyss or Vesperia? I own both and i'm not sure which to tackle first.
Vesperia has less technical issues. If you're only going to play one in the next little while, I'd go with Vesperia. If you wanted to go back to back, Abyss to Vesperia.

Jiggy

Estelle and Karol do suck personality-wise (although I liked Estelle until she
kept losing every quirk she had
once past the first third of the game), but Rita gradually becomes great and Raven is at least 65% as good as Zelos, which is still excellent. They're the two standouts of the cast for me by far, with everybody else just kind of there--but that's looking at them individually.

I think that if most people feel the way I do, then they aren't evaluating the characters in Vesperia as independent personalities but looking at the way they interact with each other. There's really no dead weight on the team, and by the end of the story it's easy to make a case that five of the party members could feasibly have been considered the main character. In that sense, they're one of the most tightly-knit RPG casts I've seen.

Sagitario

Got my Jasper today and I just finished ToS Dawn of the New World 10 minutes ago [really liked it]... and as soon as I get a HDMI cable, Vesperia here I come [I already got the game on release date :p]! :D

Mrcapcom

Finally Beat the game omg that was fun. I tried to
beat 3rd form duke and he pwned me it was so late i didnt bother trying again
I dunno if im gonna keep playing to get all the achivements I might though.

How do I activate those elevators? in the last stage

Sagitario

WTF @ the Collector's Edition package!?... I can't get the disc out of its place...

Is there a trick or something with this? I almost broke the disc trying to get it out (not even GameCube cases where this hard)...

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Character-wise, I like Yuri and Rita the most. The nice thing about this game is there are no real annoying characters, even the kid who I thought I was gonna hate didn't turn out that bad. Game is now really starting to really pick up,
I'm in the Heracles now
, will probably play all this weekend.

One thing that kinda pissed me off a bit, and other Tales games have this, is
the fact that a character eventually turns on you, in this case it was Raven/Schwann, only to immediately re-join your party after everything is forgiven. I don't even recall much foreshadowing at all that Raven was Schwann and the game didn't explain it well at all.

djtiesto said:
Character-wise, I like Yuri and Rita the most. The nice thing about this game is there are no real annoying characters, even the kid who I thought I was gonna hate didn't turn out that bad. Game is now really starting to really pick up,
I'm in the Heracles now

the fact that a character eventually turns on you, in this case it was Raven/Schwann, only to immediately re-join your party after everything is forgiven. I don't even recall much foreshadowing at all that Raven was Schwann and the game didn't explain it well at all.
Really? There's quite a bit, especially during the cutscene at those forest ruins near Heloird

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Top dog quest. Area behind Mt. Temza. How in the world are you supposed to get that area blue? There aren't any places to go or land. And even though practically the whole world is blue, I'm still missing nearly 10% of the bar.

Firestorm

Kadey said:
Top dog quest. Area behind Mt. Temza. How in the world are you supposed to get that area blue? There aren't any places to go or land. And even though practically the whole world is blue, I'm still missing nearly 10% of the bar.
Do the Dragon Races by talking to the kid in Myorzo.

djtiesto said:
I'm in the Heracles now

There was actually
quite a bit of foreshadowing on that iirc. What stands out to me is Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum (don't remember their names) standing to attention when Raven gave them a command in the cave back to Nordopolica

Jiggy

djtiesto said:
Yeah, the thing with
Raven
bugged me too. :/ Albeit for a different reason--I did think
there was enough foreshadowing for it
, but such little
story aftermath there that it just seemed like the whole thing never had a point
. And unlike
Presea and Zelos
in Symphonia, or
Anise
in Abyss,
Raven was neither forced into the situation nor did he do much to make up for it afterward, so I felt like the party should have been mad at him more than they were

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
^ You know when you spoiler out that much of a paragraph, just spoiler out the whole thing. :lol

Jiggy

ZealousD said:
^ You know when you spoiler out that much of a paragraph, just spoiler out the whole thing. :lol
Had to at least make the Symphonia and Abyss mentions visible so all the Vesperia players who haven't gotten to either of those two games wouldn't get spoiled on them.

Jiggy's close to what I got out of him, that twist just..."was". "AHA! The irrascable "old" archer in your party is actually a Knight with a martial style very knight-ish!" Felt tacked on. Add to that he was also DEEP into the Guilds as The Don's right-hand man, and I'm like, "ok, he lives TWO lifetimes, but even he doesnt have THAT much time."

Also, I'm tired of the kind of dialogue that went on in that boss fight; he was being forced a bit by the heart-blastia deal-thingie that Alexei got in him, in addition to being very chummy and helpful to Yuri on that mountain previously (and not in a "please avoid him, I dont want you to die cuz I like yall" sorta way either), yet he was being a dick in responces to the party. Then it's back to normal Raven afterwards. Bleargh.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Just finished with
Heracles
... how much left do I have? Also, how many warehouses are in the game? I like these puzzles and I have done the ones in Myorzo, Capua Torim, and the city right north of Zaphias whose name I can't recall.

djtiesto said:
Just finished with
Heracles
... how much left do I have?

I'm gonna estimate about 50% left, maybe a bit less

Jiggy said:
Yeah, the thing with
Raven
bugged me too. :/ Albeit for a different reason--I did think
there was enough foreshadowing for it
, but such little
story aftermath there that it just seemed like the whole thing never had a point
. And unlike
Presea and Zelos
in Symphonia, or
Anise
in Abyss,
Raven was neither forced into the situation nor did he do much to make up for it afterward, so I felt like the party should have been mad at him more than they were

I was just happy to beat his face in. =x

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Something hilarious about killing the last bosses in no more than a few minutes thanks to a Abyssion that has nearly 7000 attack. A regular Shining fang does like 40k damage. Solo-ing him with Yuri. :lol

Sagitario

Farore said:
WTF @ the Collector's Edition package!?... I can't get the disc out of its place...

Is there a trick or something with this? I almost broke the disc trying to get it out (not even GameCube cases where this hard)...

I know this is silly, but am I the only one with this annoying problem? :lol

BTW, HDMI CABLE GET!!! :D
I'm finally going to try it tonight!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I dunno what's up with you guys and the Collector's Edition. I remember having a lot of trouble the first time but after that it's been easy to take it out.

According to Gamestop and Toys'R Us the game has been discontinued by Namco Bandai. They won't get any new copies of the game.

That's not a good sign.

Sagitario

Just got Karol in my party...

Having just finished ToS DotNW I came to the conclusion that I dislike the first few hours of the Tales games... why? BECAUSE I WANT MY SKILLS DAMMIT! The battles are really slow! :(

Also, this game has some free marketplace content [just checked the website] but the game doesn't even appear when I'm browsing the marketplace on the console... anyone knows what's up? Is it country locked [MX VS US]? If so, can I change the region of my Live account?

When I'm playing and I try to get game info from the console menu [without quitting the game], I get the data in japanese... WTF?

Jiggy

Farore said:
I came to the conclusion that I dislike the first few hours of the Tales games... why? BECAUSE I WANT MY SKILLS DAMMIT! The battles are really slow! :(
Yeah, when playing Abyss and Vesperia I really wished they had kept Backstep and Recover as default commands that don't need to be learned. Not having them for even a short period of time always felt odd to me and always will.

Sagitario

^ Yep...

I'm hoping that I'll be able to attack faster and the delay time between combos gets reduced like in DotNW...

Well, I tried to download the free marketplace content on my browser [like I said, the game doesn't even appear while I'm navigating the marketplace with the console]... and it asks for my credit card info [which I don't have]? Why if it is free? =\

Edit: Fuck! I tried on a different browser, now it says the "offer" is not valid in my geographical area... is there any way to change my region? >__<

Firestorm

Farore said:
^ Yep...

I'm hoping that I'll be able to attack faster and the delay time between combos gets reduced like in DotNW...

Well, I tried to download the free marketplace content on my browser [like I said, the game doesn't even appear while I'm navigating the marketplace with the console]... and it asks for my credit card info [which I don't have]? Why if it is free? =\
Not too sure... just don't download it. Finish the game like a man! It's just regular crappy items.

Jiggy said:
Yeah, when playing Abyss and Vesperia I really wished they had kept Backstep and Recover as default commands that don't need to be learned. Not having them for even a short period of time always felt odd to me and always will.
Or do it like me :( I missed Recover. I was wondering wtf was going on all the way up to Secret Mission 16 or so. Then someone here told me it was in friggin Halure.

Jiggy

Farore said:
No on both counts, really, but other things will make up for it and then some.

Sagitario

^ Sad panda :(

What? The Recover skill can be missed for good? WTF?

&#12486;&#12452;&#12523;&#12474; &#12458;&#12502; &#12532;&#12455;&#12473;&#12506;&#12522;&#12450;

This is how it appears on my profile... :lol

Even the achievements...

&#12471;&#12540;&#12463;&#12524;&#12483;&#12488;&#12511;&#12483;&#12471;&#12519;&#12531;&#65297;
&#12470;&#12462;&#25126;&#12391;&#12289;&#12456;&#12473;&#12486;&#12522;&#12540;&#12476;&#12395;&#12354;&#12414;&#12426;&#25915;&#25731;&#12434;&#21463;&#12369;&#12427;&#12371;&#12392;&#12394;&#12367;&#12289;&#12470;&#12462;&#12434;&#20498;&#12375;&#12414;&#12375;&#12383;
Conseguido
&#12503;&#12524;&#12452;&#26178;&#38291;&#12364;100&#26178;&#38291;&#12434;&#36234;&#12360;&#12383;
&#26681;&#27671;&#12364;&#24517;&#35201;&#12391;&#12377;
Bloqueado
&#32207;&#31227;&#21205;&#36317;&#38626;10&#19975;Km
&#38263;&#12356;&#38263;&#12356;&#36947;&#12398;&#12426;……
Bloqueado
&#25973;&#12434;&#65297;&#65296;&#65296;&#65296;&#20307;&#25731;&#30772;
&#12392;&#12395;&#12363;&#12367;&#25126;&#12356;&#12414;&#12375;&#12423;&#12358;
Bloqueado
&#12481;&#12483;&#12503;&#29554;&#24471;&#25968;&#12364;10&#19975;&#26522;&#12434;&#36229;&#12360;&#12383;
&#12402;&#12383;&#12377;&#12425;&#12481;&#12483;&#12503;&#12434;&#31292;&#12366;&#12414;&#12375;&#12423;&#12358;
Bloqueado
1000&#19975;&#12460;&#12523;&#12489;&#36015;&#12417;&#12383;
&#12383;&#12367;&#12373;&#12435;&#12362;&#37329;&#12434;&#36015;&#12417;&#12414;&#12375;&#12423;&#12358;
Bloqueado

Top Bottom