• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Bebpo said:
Also, looking at the story so far (15+ hours in) I realized that Vesperia's plot give or take a few things == One Piece. Like there are way too many similarities for it to just be coincidence. I think the writers intentionally said "let's use the worldview/plot points from One Piece and make a Tales game!". Yuri is basically a more realistic tactful & intelligent version of Luffy and the guilds in the game are basically pirate crews with guild captains being pirate captains and the empire in Vesperia being the Marines in One Piece.

This better end up being an apt comparison Bebpo!

Holy shiz, I just checked Play.com and the game is out at the end of the mon.... *looks at OP*

- Europe and Australia: 2009
... KAHNNNNNN!!

Hunahan

Banned
FateBreaker said:
You know, I know it's hard to believe, but some people like conventional JRPGs. I swear. Srsly.
This is how I know that I'm old.

I still view action-RPGs like Tales to be the "new school," while "conventional" refers to the old turn-based Dragon Quest-derivative formulas.

It's like calling Tekken a "conventional" fighting game to me. Which.....I guess it kinda is these days.

oh well. Weird.

Blackjack

Feep said:
Does this game feel INCREDIBLY generic jRPG to anyone else? The Tales team is absolutely terrified to do anything out of the box they created with Phantasia and Destiny. I'll be passing on this game.
1. ...it really doesn't feel that way at all and I've seen no impressions that this is the case.

2. Cliche =/= bad

Blackjack

Himuro said:
Hopefully the script isn't as bad as Abyss' script.

The phonon bukakke of vermillion has axcavier philemenon. In order to get the phonon imam poo poo snaggle rash we will have to go through Jujujujuju.
Eh. I don't exactly play Tales of... games for the main plot. I'm more interested in the gameplay, characters, and character interaction

ivysaur12

Banned
Fonons could have been explained waaay better. I'm playing the game right now, and I'm just starting to understand the concept.

Cool concept, but definitely needed to be explained better.

Himuro said:
Tales games are hardly conventional.

Well, now they most certainly are...kind of.Old-school world map, old-school town-dungeon-town-dungeon formula, has a combat system that, while still great, has not changed much since its introduction. It has the same structure to itself--skits, for ex. I love this series, but to say that you're expecting this installment to be innovative and not copy-pasting its (successful) formula from previous installments in the series... is pretty silly to me. It is. (Maybe "conventional" was the wrong word, though.)

When you have like Infinite Undiscovery coming out a week after, I guess it just shows with ToV more.

FSLink

Banned
FateBreaker said:
Well, now they most certainly are...kind of.Old-school world map, old-school town-dungeon-town-dungeon formula, has a combat system that, while still great, has not changed much since its introduction. It has the same structure to itself--skits, for ex. I love this series, but to say that you're expecting this installment to be innovative and not copy-pasting its (successful) formula from previous installments in the series... is pretty silly to me. It is. (Maybe "conventional" was the wrong word, though.)

When you have like Infinite Undiscovery coming out a week after, I guess it just shows with ToV more.
*shrug* Well at least Team Destiny likes to mess around with the battle system more than Team Symphonia does.

kiryogi

Banned
FSLink said:
*shrug* Well at least Team Destiny likes to mess around with the battle system more than Team Symphonia does.

Usually yeah, but this time Team Symphonia actually took the initiative and evolved the system beyond what it was.

Mejilan said:
ToV may be a traditional Tales game, but if so, it's not a traditional JRPG.

Other than the battle system, Tales games usually have identical structures to games that originated the JRPG. But I understand your arguments; I don't agree, but I understand. Whatever. Tales for the win, Vesperia day 1. :lol

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Almost every RPG out there follows that broadly slashed "traditional" formula, then. They all, to a certain degree, have some combination of story sequences, town sequences, and dungeon sequences.

But the combat and related subsystems that make a Tales game a Tales game also clearly break away from traditional JRPG combat conventions.

kiryogi

Banned
Yay for glasses!

estellemegane.png

A little happiness anyway. I've been having one hell of a time with hard. I've seen the gameover screen so many times. Mainly at bosses though :lol On occasion it might be from a massive encounter link. Those are just insane. 8-10 mobs rushing you aggressively

JSnake

Mejilan said:
I don't understand why the LE is still not showing up at most retailers' websites. It just seems to unusual to me.

Buy.com has it... That is, if the Premium edition is the one you're talking about.

Link1110

Anyone know if Gamestop is getting the LE? I have a preorder, and I tried switching it to the LE, but Gamestop still doesn't have it in their computers.

Hunahan said:
This is how I know that I'm old.

I still view action-RPGs like Tales to be the "new school," while "conventional" refers to the old turn-based Dragon Quest-derivative formulas.

I was thinking the exact same thing as I read that.

FSLink

Banned
kiryogi said:
Yay for glasses! [awesome picture of Estelle]
There better be more glasses or sunglasses for the rest of the cast. XD I loved how the Persona 4 cast looked in them, so having them on the Vesperia cast would be win. (And Repede should get a monocle...does he even have attachments or costumes aside from the ragdoll things that can ride on him?)

Bebpo

Banned
So I'm like 23 hours in and I take back what I said about the game not being dark. Yuri's plotline is pretty dark for anything Japanese. Definitely moreso than any other Tales story so far.

I think as long as they don't mess up the 2nd half of the game, there's a very good chance Vesperia could have the best Tales story yet. The writers are doing a good job though there is a little Tales filler here and there in terms of "let's go to B, but on the way we run into situation C and have to deal with that, and then situation D, and then we finally get to go to B" that seems to plague Symphonia/Abyss.

Oh and the battle system is flat out awesome. Man, once you get the skill modifiers and the arial attacks (which make it like Destiny-R) and combine them with everything else, the battles are really nuts. It's interesting how they spread out the systems across your characters at first so it makes it interesting playing the other characters. Like for instance Judith is the first to get Arial skill which allows tokugi & ougi air-version. Plus she gets double jump and 4 hit air strings and other air skills along with that. So when you switch to her you're doing all this crazy stuff in the air and then when you switch to Karol you're doing weird charge up moves and wind modified versions of attacks and then with Yuri you're doing other stuff. As you go along the skills begin to mix over so by endgame I'm sure everyone can be doing air combos, elemental tokugis, charge attacks, etc...

Great game. If I had to nitpick anything it'd be that the music is totally unremarkable (which is normal for Tales). Abyss was a little better than an average Tales score, but Vesperia really isn't.

Bebpo said:
If I had to nitpick anything it'd be that the music is totally unremarkable (which is normal for Tales). Abyss was a little better than an average Tales score, but Vesperia really isn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7leZBPPJLq8 This guy thinks Vesperia has the single best town theme ever though!...:lol (I like it, but best ever no lol) *I should note that this may be spoilers to some, but I doubt it.

Rant alert: Freakin' Wikipedia, though. I was just browsing the page and I saw a particular character = LAST BOSS. I tried to shift my eyes else but they already mentioned the name. WHAT THE HELL WIKIPEDIA CONTRUBTORS :(. The even MORE irritating thing is they after a few hours fixed it immediately and instead put a bio of him/her/etc (I stopped reading that after the first few words)...so, basically, I totally screwed myself with the last boss knowledge....I hope it wasn't that big of a surprise...actually, I hope that that Wiki entry was completely wrong. :D Last time I look at ANYTHING for an RPG on Wikipedia. I should just stay on GAF. :D

Also your impressions are hot, Bebpo. Sounds like this is a total winner. I can't wait for it. Thanks for the continued impressions.

kiryogi

Banned
Bebpo said:
Great game. If I had to nitpick anything it'd be that the music is totally unremarkable (which is normal for Tales). Abyss was a little better than an average Tales score, but Vesperia really isn't.

Its no Legendia, but nothing is. For having Tamura gone. The musical direction has really changed. It's actually pretty pleasant. But we're talking some pretty major style changes at times. Like the town theme for Dangrest. It's totally unlike anything the Tales series has seen before. And the additional bits of piano in Heliod was a surprise to.. Of course,a lot of it is still typical Tales dullish, but this time around, it's a bit more refreshing and varied.

And yeah, what fatebreaker just posted. That's the town theme I'm talking about. Totally out there.

Side note. I'm like 25 hours in but still way behind from Bebpo. Only just got Raven! To note though, I am also on hard mode and do a little extra mining for synth materials. :D But the battles have gotten pretty insane at this point. Some end so far, but chaotic and so satisfying. Doing a major combo, then going into overlimit, execute burst artes right after and finish them off with a fatal strike. Oh so good. Final bit, really loving Rita :D

she just sprayed raven with bug spray after he tried scaring Karole by screaming bugs.. Rita justifies saying shes just spraying the bug :D Also before that, she threatened Raven's life if he decided to do anything fishy when he finally joined up. Thing is, Raven's been pissing her off since they've first met XD

Bebpo

Banned
kiryogi said:
Side note. I'm like 25 hours in but still way behind from Bebpo. Only just got Raven! To note though, I am also on hard mode and do a little extra mining for synth materials. :D But the battles have gotten pretty insane at this point. Some end so far, but chaotic and so satisfying. Doing a major combo, then going into overlimit, execute burst artes right after and finish them off with a fatal strike. Oh so good.

How the hell do you have that many hours? You can't really level too high in any area because the exp cap is pretty strict and you should be able to mine enough enemy drops to make everything at each new store in like 20 mins of fighting.

Bebpo

Banned
Spruchy said:
This is without a doubt the greatest town song in any rpg ever (and it's tales too so its on topic eh!!!!!!!!!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2s1YFywmes

I'd say pretty much all the town music in Xenogears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3kzb-Usmwk <-- the music that kicks in at about 30 seconds in.

Himuro said:
No I didn't. That's one of my biggest problems with these games.

In Abyss, for example, the game lacked direction. One moment I'm trying to save a town, then I have to fly down to the catacombs of the world with my busted airship, then I'm told in order to save the town I go to a dungeon to do something, but in order to get there I have to have an airship, so I have to go a town get an airship but the town doesn't have an airship anymore because idiots stranded it somewhere, so I have to go to a dungeon to get the airship, THEN fly to dungeon to do whatever, then fly back to the town.

It's just mindless filler. I can't remember what happen in Symphonia or other Tales games but I recall it being just as annoying.

You said that Abyss lacks this and has more direction in its story telling. Which tells me there's more direction in the gameplay as well.

No, you're misreading what I wrote. I said Vesperia still has the problem of Symphonia/Abyss where you other quests interrupt your current quest and you have to do them first and then get back to what you were doing. It's not as bad as it was in Abyss, but it's still there.

Shouta

Man, if I don't buy a lot this weekend I may come back to my apt in Fukushima with a 360 and Vesperia. >=O

Shakka said:
Does anybody know if the US version of this will be region free?

Play-Asia have the Asian version (Japanese Language) listed as NTSC J only so I guess that means the US and Asian version (English Language) will be locked also.

Not good for the people with Pal 360's.

Namco-Bandai are strange. Ace Combat was locked also but Soul Calibur wasnt.

Jonnyram

Goddammit the achievements in this game are fuck retarded. To get the Monster Collection one you have to use magic lens on every single enemy!? What the fuck, Namco! No doubt this includes the tutorial fights against Dekoboko too :(

kiryogi

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Goddammit the achievements in this game are fuck retarded. To get the Monster Collection one you have to use magic lens on every single enemy!? What the fuck, Namco! No doubt this includes the tutorial fights against Dekoboko too :(

They're a real challenge. And in the past tales games, you actually got titles for completing your zukans. Actually what's been fun is pursuing these secret missions. 5 points for an absolute pain in the ass :lol <3 Although, you do face these jokers again, but probably diff stats and whatnot. :shrugs: I was never hardcore enough to collect every monster, item and whatnot.

Jonnyram

Still, I figure if I play it properly from the point I'm at now, I should be able to get everything unlocked in two plays through, the second play through being the quick one, to get <15 hrs, since you can carry the collections over with grade points.

kiryogi

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Still, I figure if I play it properly from the point I'm at now, I should be able to get everything unlocked in two plays through, the second play through being the quick one, to get <15 hrs, since you can carry the collections over with grade points.

Side note, whats your gamertag?

kiryogi

Banned
Oh, something I've been wanting to mention but wasn't sure. But with a few actual field tests it looks like it. Battle isn't always @ 60FPS. massive spells or tons of enemies on screen will induce some pretty ugly slowdown :lol

Top Bottom