• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

Jonnyram

I cannot get the secret mission in the Gigarva fight AT ALL! I know what you're supposed to do (
Use Raven's Mogura nari move when the scorpion is getting health from the pool
) but is there some trick to the timing?

How are the dungeons in this game? That's something I've not seen details on? Is it like Symphonia where there are all kinds of absurd puzzle solving (still fun for the most part, but can get really annoying too), or is it more balanced like Abyss where half of the dungeons are fairly straightforward while the other half contains some decent puzzle solving, but nothing overt like Symphonia? Hoping it's more like Abyss'.

Shame I can't be playing this with you guys... this is the last time I'll be buying a PAL system that's not region free :/

kiryogi said:
Oh, something I've been wanting to mention but wasn't sure. But with a few actual field tests it looks like it. Battle isn't always @ 60FPS. massive spells or tons of enemies on screen will induce some pretty ugly slowdown :lol
>.<

What's the max number of enemies on screen this time? Any higher than the other TS games? If not then that's disappointing.

Jonnyram said:
I haven't seen any puzzles in the dungeons so far, thankfully. The stuff in Legendia made me stop playing the game!
:(
Legendia's puzzle booth sucked, but Abyss and Symphonia had some nice puzzles.

I hope they put some puzzles in the later dungeons. The Abandoned Factory for example in TotA had some really nice puzzles.

JaMarco

Bebpo said:
So I'm like 23 hours in and I take back what I said about the game not being dark. Yuri's plotline is pretty dark for anything Japanese. Definitely moreso than any other Tales story so far.

I think as long as they don't mess up the 2nd half of the game, there's a very good chance Vesperia could have the best Tales story yet. The writers are doing a good job though there is a little Tales filler here and there in terms of "let's go to B, but on the way we run into situation C and have to deal with that, and then situation D, and then we finally get to go to B" that seems to plague Symphonia/Abyss.

Oh and the battle system is flat out awesome. Man, once you get the skill modifiers and the arial attacks (which make it like Destiny-R) and combine them with everything else, the battles are really nuts. It's interesting how they spread out the systems across your characters at first so it makes it interesting playing the other characters. Like for instance Judith is the first to get Arial skill which allows tokugi & ougi air-version. Plus she gets double jump and 4 hit air strings and other air skills along with that. So when you switch to her you're doing all this crazy stuff in the air and then when you switch to Karol you're doing weird charge up moves and wind modified versions of attacks and then with Yuri you're doing other stuff. As you go along the skills begin to mix over so by endgame I'm sure everyone can be doing air combos, elemental tokugis, charge attacks, etc...

Great game. If I had to nitpick anything it'd be that the music is totally unremarkable (which is normal for Tales). Abyss was a little better than an average Tales score, but Vesperia really isn't.
damn, i cant wait to play

Bebpo

Banned
Magicpaint said:
How are the dungeons in this game? That's something I've not seen details on? Is it like Symphonia where there are all kinds of absurd puzzle solving (still fun for the most part, but can get really annoying too), or is it more balanced like Abyss where half of the dungeons are fairly straightforward while the other half contains some decent puzzle solving, but nothing overt like Symphonia? Hoping it's more like Abyss'.

Shame I can't be playing this with you guys... this is the last time I'll be buying a PAL system that's not region free :/

>.<

What's the max number of enemies on screen this time? Any higher than the other TS games? If not then that's disappointing.

Dungeons are more like Abyss. There are puzzles but they are pretty light for the most part.

Max number of enemies is WAY more than the other TS games. Like 8 or 9 enemies at once. Also I haven't noticed any slowdown so it's pretty rare I'd say.

Bebpo said:
Dungeons are more like Abyss. There are puzzles but they are pretty light for the most part.

Max number of enemies is WAY more than the other TS games. Like 8 or 9 enemies at once. Also I haven't noticed any slowdown so it's pretty rare I'd say.
Fantastic! This game is sounding like everything I want from an Abyss follow up- with that enemy count, it looks like battles can get as chaotic as Rebirth's! Can't wait....2009 :(

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Impressions sound great, but I'm disappointed that they don't have the nice dungeon puzzles from Symphonia. Really gave that game's exploration much more character.

Kyoufu

After playing through ToDremake's dungeons I never want to touch another puzzle in a Tales game again!

Really sad its 2009 release though (my wallet is happy atleast). Play.com had it up for the end of this month...

rykomatsu

so for anyone that cares, ToV made 4th on famitsu sales charts..

1. Fire Emblem DS
2. Rhythm Heaven Gold
3. Phantasy Star Portable
4. ToV
5. DQ5

Shakka

kobashi100 said:
Play-Asia have the Asian version (Japanese Language) listed as NTSC J only so I guess that means the US and Asian version (English Language) will be locked also.

Not good for the people with Pal 360's.

Namco-Bandai are strange. Ace Combat was locked also but Soul Calibur wasnt.

Yes, I know, but on the other hand I have found this on Acme, don't know if it is trustworthy though.
Well, I guess nobody knows for sure yet and we'll just have to wait and see.

Mejilan said:
Impressions sound great, but I'm disappointed that they don't have the nice dungeon puzzles from Symphonia. Really gave that game's exploration much more character.

Maybe they will get more in depth as the game goes on? I kind of remember that in previous Tales games, especiallly Symphonia. Man, I remember that Shadow Temple one in Symphonia...weeeeee.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
puzzles in dungeons shit sometimes pisses me off more than anything. getting stuck in a puzzle=can't progress in the game=frustration=no fun.

Kyoufu

Error said:
puzzles in dungeons shit sometimes pisses me off more than anything. getting stuck in a puzzle=can't progress in the game=frustration=no fun.

Man, you don't want to play ToD then. Not only were most of the puzzles ridiculously taxing/long but one of them was also bugged, forcing you to reset and start the dungeon again :S

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Error said:
Well at least with a Puzzle you can always take a look at a guide. If you are stuck at a boss (not in a RPG mind you, but in something like Ninja Gaiden) then you have *no* way if going any further unless there are cheat codes.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I'm not saying there shouldn't be any puzzles, but some sort of balance and not just puzzle after puzzle after puzzle, like in Wild Arms.

a straightforward dungeon, followed by a dungeon with a thematic puzzle and then another light on puzzle solving. is fine by me.

Also I don't think puzzles make a dungeon, in fact that's pretty low in my list.

Firestorm

Blimblim said:
Well at least with a Puzzle you can always take a look at a guide. If you are stuck at a boss (not in a RPG mind you, but in something like Ninja Gaiden) then you have *no* way if going any further unless there are cheat codes.
I dunno, in Tales games I've found even if you're severely underlevelled you can still make up for that to an extent. I was usually 10 - 15 levels lower than guides told me to be and did fine. Used up a lot of gels and stuff, but did fine.

I'm not a big fan of puzzles in dungeons either for RPGs either. Although I don't mind them much without random battles. Puzzles + Random Battles are the worst invention in gaming.

Firestorm

Well, I just play dungeons to find treasure chests and avoid enemies on my way to a boss so I can kick his ass.
Do any Tales games have a boss rush mode?
There should be a boss rush mode.

JaMarco

Mejilan said:
but I'm disappointed that they don't have the nice dungeon puzzles from Symphonia.
Me too. I much prefer puzzle dungeons with depth rather than a simple straightforward or maze dungeon. Maze dungeons usually are pretty boring to me, while puzzle dungeons can at least give an rpg a Zelda like feel from time to time.

Himuro said:
It tells me the game wants to challenge me. I accept it. There is nothing between me and the game, just solving the puzzle. It is awesome.

I can't stand straight forward dungeons. They are so boring.

Make a dungeon full of traps, obstacles, puzzles. Things that'll actually make it feel like a dungeon.

Barheim Passage and its puzzle and theme are the very reason it's the best dungeon in FFXII, while all the other dungeons suck because they're boring and go to Point A to Point B bullcrap.

I'm going to have to agree with you on this one, Himuro. This is one of the reason why I enjoyed LO dungeons quite a bit.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Yeah, I'm with Himu on this. Point A to B dungeon design is sloppy and lazy, IMHO. I definitely prefer ones filled with mishaps and challenges.

Wait, when did the release date get pushed to 2009? All the sites I went to still say the end of this month...

Edit: Or is the 2009 people are talking about only referring to the European release?

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
I'm *slowly* getting excited for this. I think it'll be similar to Symphonia and Abyss where I'll be in love with it for the first half of the game and then it'll just be punishing to finish it. Team Symphonia's game have, thus far, been far too overlong. The 2D games have always had a much brisker and enjoyable pacing which enhances their New Game+ ability. Nothing prevents me from wanting to New Game+ a game then one that's 80 hours long.

Symphonia's biggest problem with puzzles is that they sometimes lacked creativity.

When they're fun, they're really fun. When they're tedious bullshit (Shadow, Ice), they make you want to quit the game.

Kyoufu

Princess Skittles said:
I'm *slowly* getting excited for this. I think it'll be similar to Symphonia and Abyss where I'll be in love with it for the first half of the game and then it'll just be punishing to finish it. Team Symphonia's game have, thus far, been far too overlong. The 2D games have always had a much brisker and enjoyable pacing which enhances their New Game+ ability. Nothing prevents me from wanting to New Game+ a game then one that's 80 hours long.

Well New Game+ in the 2D ones is just stupid. I don't want to go through the game 2 or 3 times just to be able to experience it like I was meant to.

Himuro said:
What was wrong with shadow and ice? :p
Shadow involved very little thinking, it was more just doing work than figuring out solutions. Ice...I hate ice sliding puzzles. Hated them in Pokemon, hated them in Symphonia. Then they did the same basic thing again in the no gravity area.

kiryogi

Banned
Bebpo said:

Slowdown was me being 3 encounterlinks with some huge enemies. But like I said, even with some heavy magic things get ugly.

Jonnyram: I actually placed the trap near the water and lured him.

Rpgmonkey

Firestorm said:
Well, I just play dungeons to find treasure chests and avoid enemies on my way to a boss so I can kick his ass.
Do any Tales games have a boss rush mode?
There should be a boss rush mode.

The Director's Cut of Destiny sorta has one (almost every boss, but normal enemies are thrown in here and there).

It's more annoying than fun though with how fast everything moves in that game.

Jonnyram

Think I've passed kiryogi now. The last dungeon was a little puzzly, I guess, but not major.
No idea what Philip is complaining about with the pacing, unless he's actually finished it and things deteriorate a lot. That said, the fastest people are now finishing the game in under 9 hours, so the pacing can't be that bad. I think you can pretty much control how things go by yourself.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Himuro said:
In fact, water levels are my favorite type of level. :eek:

I think most people hate water levels. =P

Here's a test to see how weird you are. Do you even like the water levels in Sonic games?

It's a shame that one of the go-to guys for EGM/1up when it comes to JRPGs can't be trusted in the least when it comes to anything but a Sony-platform RPG.

Particularly now that the 360 gets so many of them. He's like a book I've read countless times, where I know everything that's going to happen ahead of time.

kiryogi

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Think I've passed kiryogi now. The last dungeon was a little puzzly, I guess, but not major.
No idea what Philip is complaining about with the pacing, unless he's actually finished it and things deteriorate a lot. That said, the fastest people are now finishing the game in under 9 hours, so the pacing can't be that bad. I think you can pretty much control how things go by yourself.

Gasfrost? It was 6am. I dealt with most of the puzzles and was so tired. Had to sleep! I'll pass you up today!

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
gregor7777 said:
It's a shame that one of the go-to guys for EGM/1up when it comes to JRPGs can't be trusted in the least when it comes to anything but a Sony-platform RPG.

Particularly now that the 360 gets so many of them. He's like a book I've read countless times, where I know everything that's going to happen ahead of time.
That's sounds like most of GAF actually. :lol

Princess Skittles said:
That's sounds like most of GAF actually. :lol

Yeah, but most of us would be awful professional reviewers. If a JRPG is shit, I want to know it. If a JRPG is great, I'd like to know that too. Regardless of platform...but that is seemingly an impossible task for Shane.

Look at Mr. Fitch's blog. He spends the entire thing rebutting points made by another reviewer who is consistently giving you opinions with an agenda.

It just would be nice to hear more impressions from people who just enjoy JRPGs.

clashfan

gregor7777 said:
Yeah, but most of us would be awful professional reviewers. If a JRPG is shit, I want to know it. If a JRPG is great, I'd like to know that too. Regardless of platform...but that is seemingly an impossible task for Shane.

Look at Mr. Fitch's blog. He spends the entire thing rebutting points made by another reviewer who is consistently giving you opinions with an agenda.

It just would be nice to hear more impressions from people who just enjoy JRPGs.

I remember on the 1up yours show a few weeks back, somebody make a comment about shane being critical of the graphics of ToV. He said something like "If it was running on Cell would your opinion of the graphics be different?". I though that was so funny...

NolbertoS

Can't wait to play this #$%@$# game. Finished all the Tales games ever released, including the PS1 Tales games, but excluding the JPN exclusive Tales games. Can't wait to immerse myself in the world, like I was in Symphonia.

NolbertoS said:
Can't wait to play this #$%@$# game. Finished all the Tales games ever released, including the PS1 Tales games, but excluding the JPN exclusive Tales games. Can't wait to immerse myself in the world, like I was in Symphonia.
Exactly, Symphonia was magical!

kiryogi

Banned
Things are finally picking up as Bebpo mentioned at this point. World theme has changed, as has the battle theme. It's the turning point now! And based off our achievements, looks like I've caught up to Jonnyram.

Sorry to the others that I haven't posted any actual impressions. Bebpo covered most of it as it is. If there's anything, i'll get some final ones up once I'm done or something.

Here's another attachment I just got for Rita. A Mitama necklace! Oh, and Estelle showing her justice :D

ritamitama.png

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
kiryogi said:
Here's another attachment I just got for Rita. A Mitama necklace! Oh, and Estelle showing her justice :D

ritamitama.png

Maybe your next attachment will be a whip! Or maybe a vibrating bracelet?

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
kiryogi said:
Things are finally picking up as Bebpo mentioned at this point. World theme has changed, as has the battle theme. It's the turning point now! And based off our achievements, looks like I've caught up to Jonnyram.

Sorry to the others that I haven't posted any actual impressions. Bebpo covered most of it as it is. If there's anything, i'll get some final ones up once I'm done or something.

ritamitama.png

Amazing :D

Still no release date for Europe ? Im about to buy a cheap US 360 so i can fucking play it soon.

Top Bottom