• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
kiryogi said:
Things are finally picking up as Bebpo mentioned at this point. World theme has changed, as has the battle theme. It's the turning point now! And based off our achievements, looks like I've caught up to Jonnyram.

Sorry to the others that I haven't posted any actual impressions. Bebpo covered most of it as it is. If there's anything, i'll get some final ones up once I'm done or something.

Here's another attachment I just got for Rita. A Mitama necklace! Oh, and Estelle showing her justice :D

ritamitama.png
1620hhd.png

gregor7777 said:
It's a shame that one of the go-to guys for EGM/1up when it comes to JRPGs can't be trusted in the least when it comes to anything but a Sony-platform RPG.

Really? I'm not defending Fitch or anything, but his Lost Odyssey grade seemed like what I would give it (B+). Same as Eternal Sonata (C+, actually, I'd probably give ES even lower). I think Blue Dragon (C+) could have been a little higher, but oh well. He also said in a podcast that he really hopes Vesperia does well, as he'd love to have these type of games continued to be made. Compared to Shane's constant jibber-jabber about PS3>360 and such hyper-sensitive nitpicky-ness about graphics (again, 360 vs PS3 stuff), I find Fitch's stuff to be alright. Also, it seems like he actually BEATS the games. That's also kind of nice. Again, not an advocate of him or anything, but I think that there are certainly worse.

...you were talking about Fitch, right? :lol

Edit: Yeah, I think I read that wrong. Shane? Yeah, he's terrible. Neverrrrrrrrmind.

Jonnyram

Shane's a fanboy, yeah, but he has a massive knowledge about games in general. That's one of the great things about him. Get him talking about previous gens, and everything will be fine :)

Anyone else think the environment graphics in Vesperia are really similar to Legendia, by the way? Except proper 3D explorable. Are the artists the same?

Bebpo

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Shane's a fanboy, yeah, but he has a massive knowledge about games in general. That's one of the great things about him. Get him talking about previous gens, and everything will be fine :)

Anyone else think the environment graphics in Vesperia are really similar to Legendia, by the way? Except proper 3D explorable. Are the artists the same?

I don't think Legendia used the same artists as I thought Legendia was pretty much all non-Tales staff.

If you like the art direction in Vesperia you really should check out Abyss some day (although the loading times might kill it for you), Team Symphonia's environment art direction is very consistent and by consistent I mean consistently excellent. They really know how to design cell-shaded pre-set camera angles to look gorgeous.

Here's some environment art pics I took from Abyss back in the day. You should be able to see the similarities to Vesperia:

Totanice2.jpg

abyssc1.jpg

abyssc4.jpg

abyssc6.jpg

myabyss8.jpg

myabysss.jpg

Jonnyram

Ah yeah, that is pretty similar. Maybe they'll remake all the old games for next-gen, just like they remade all the old old games for PS2/PSP lol.

kiryogi

Banned
Well. It'd be Tales of Eternia next to be remade. Still got a decade or two until abyss!

On another note. A few more pics! This time with Judy!

judybunny.png

Take what you will from this

judybrave.png

Jonnyram

As a Tales noob, can you explain the Grade Shop to me? Basically if I get 20% in a boss fight, and 1-2% most regular fights, do they all get added up? Or is it something else?

Rpgmonkey

Jonnyram said:
As a Tales noob, can you explain the Grade Shop to me? Basically if I get 20% in a boss fight, and 1-2% most regular fights, do they all get added up? Or is it something else?

It's basically all added up, and at the end of the game you can "buy" various things or options to bring to your next playthrough.

Like there's one option in this that'll let you inherit all your skills for 1000 Grade points.

Jonnyram

Rpgmonkey said:
It's basically all added up, and at the end of the game you can "buy" various things or options to bring to your next playthrough.

Like there's one option in this that'll let you inherit all your skills for 1000 Grade points.
So basically I should have a shitload of grade points at this rate, as I rarely get -ve scores and I've killed about 1500 enemies and only beaten about a third of the game...

Oh, and if I'm reading right, I can't get any more 赤眼レンズ because they're only available in a couple of forced battles that I've already beaten? Shiiiit, they're needed in loads of synths :(

kiryogi

Banned
Jonnyram said:
So basically I should have a shitload of grade points at this rate, as I rarely get -ve scores and I've killed about 1500 enemies and only beaten about a third of the game...

Oh, and if I'm reading right, I can't get any more 赤眼レンズ because they're only available in a couple of forced battles that I've already beaten? Shiiiit, they're needed in loads of synths :(

Actually, no, you can find them. Although, I think you might have reached a point where you can't access those enemies for awhile. But , if you take the west exit out of Dangrest and detour away from that moc forest. You can find some ??? area that has those shady fellows in black (called bronzes?) wandering around. They drop the lens. Yeah, you need it for Karole's 2nd bag and the Moon Crystal.

Jonnyram

kiryogi said:
Actually, no, you can find them. Although, I think you might have reached a point where you can't access those enemies for awhile. But , if you take the west exit out of Dangrest and detour away from that moc forest. You can find some ??? area that has those shady fellows in black (called bronzes?) wandering around. They drop the lens. Yeah, you need it for Karole's 2nd bag and the Moon Crystal.
Phew, thanks.
Yeah, I could really do with the Moon Cresta special item ;) I got the S Flag already. Mmmmmmm.

Oh yeah, I just got this black hat for Yuri. I'll have to take a pic to post here. He looks like Michael Jackson in the early 90s :/

kiryogi

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Phew, thanks.
Yeah, I could really do with the Moon Cresta special item ;) I got the S Flag already. Mmmmmmm.

Oh yeah, I just got this black hat for Yuri. I'll have to take a pic to post here. He looks like Michael Jackson in the early 90s :/

Haha, I decided against the hat. (which also comes in white!) Bebpo mentioned something about how it covers his face. Which seems to be annoying in cutscenes.

Yasser

Kyoufu said:
Really sad its 2009 release though (my wallet is happy atleast). Play.com had it up for the end of this month...
i was pretty pissed till i realised how many rpgs are coming before the end of the year. not counting importing persona 4 and if ToV ends up being region free in US, there's fable 2, fallout 3 and infinite undiscovery on consoles and ff iv on ds. more than enough to keep most people busy!

MrDaravon

For anyone waiting for it, the LE has finally showed up at Gamestop:

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=72387

Also apparently it showed up in-store a few days ago, but only as "Vesperia CE" in the system, not Tales of Vesperia, which is why no one was finding it (sorry if this was already posted, I'm out the door to work). I'm pretty sure the website addition was as of this morning, so it should hopefully be in the store computers normally now.

FateBreaker said:
Really? I'm not defending Fitch or anything, but his Lost Odyssey grade seemed like what I would give it (B+). Same as Eternal Sonata (C+, actually, I'd probably give ES even lower). I think Blue Dragon (C+) could have been a little higher, but oh well. He also said in a podcast that he really hopes Vesperia does well, as he'd love to have these type of games continued to be made. Compared to Shane's constant jibber-jabber about PS3>360 and such hyper-sensitive nitpicky-ness about graphics (again, 360 vs PS3 stuff), I find Fitch's stuff to be alright. Also, it seems like he actually BEATS the games. That's also kind of nice. Again, not an advocate of him or anything, but I think that there are certainly worse.

...you were talking about Fitch, right? :lol

Edit: Yeah, I think I read that wrong. Shane? Yeah, he's terrible. Neverrrrrrrrmind.

Yeah, I was talking about Shane.

Good read though. :)

Ricker

SailorDaravon said:
For anyone waiting for it, the LE has finally showed up at Gamestop:

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=72387

Also apparently it showed up in-store a few days ago, but only as "Vesperia CE" in the system, not Tales of Vesperia, which is why no one was finding it (sorry if this was already posted, I'm out the door to work). I'm pretty sure the website addition was as of this
morning, so it should hopefully be in the store computers normally now.

It's still under Vesperia,just pre-ordered the CE also but first i just asked for Tales of Vesperia CE and after looking in his comp,he said they only had the regular game,i had to tell him to look under Vesperia not Tales otherwise no CE...thanks for the heads up and Firestorm also.

Ricker

Yep hehe...never could beat him...only tried a few times though and came close on my last try,killing the flunkies first helps a lot,i had him alone but i was too low on health,even after using all my items and heals.

TEJ

Yasser said:
i was pretty pissed till i realised how many rpgs are coming before the end of the year. not counting importing persona 4 and if ToV ends up being region free in US, there's fable 2, fallout 3 and infinite undiscovery on consoles and ff iv on ds. more than enough to keep most people busy!

You're forgetting about the star ocean 1 psp remake, mana khemia psp, that sonic bioware rpg, the last remnant, dragon quest 4, too human, and plenty of others.

Sagitario

kiryogi said:
Alright! Here's a real treat for Tales fans. Cameo battle/cameo hiougi exhibition:

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm4291846

They made Shizels assets big...

Awesome! I can't wait for this game! :D

The original boss music (or awesome Sakuraba remixes) from Symhonia, Phantasia, Eternia and Destiny for those battles would have been awesome! [and they should have included Mythos instead of him]

Rpgmonkey

Jonnyram said:
OMG someone's unlocked another hidden achievement.
Beat Barbos at level 15 or less - 10pts.

:O

Doesn't that mean they had to go through all the monsters to reach him though...

Gah. >_>

Jonnyram

Rpgmonkey said:
Doesn't that mean they had to go through all the monsters to reach him though...
Yeah. A few of them are going to be very hard, but I guess this works with the difficulty set to "easy" too, so it might not be so bad.

Firestorm

Holy crap, they're gonna reward me for being underlevelled?
No wonder I love this series.

Although the achievements are probably for being more underlevelled than even I usually am.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Firestorm said:
Holy crap, they're gonna reward me for being underlevelled?
No wonder I love this series.

Although the achievements are probably for being more underlevelled than even I usually am.

Didn't Symphonia give a title or two for being underleveled? I atleast remember one for using the Wooden Swords until a certain boss.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Any other Symphonia-fans-who-couldn't-get-into-Abyss-for-whatever-reason type people find themselves contemplating giving Abyss another shot this weekend?

Perhaps I should start up a "Gaf Plays" thread...

kiryogi

Banned
So saw an interesting memo @ Gamestop. Apparently, they'll only have the LE available online. So amazon or gamestop.com folks! For americans anyway.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Mejilan said:
Any other Symphonia-fans-who-couldn't-get-into-Abyss-for-whatever-reason type people find themselves contemplating giving Abyss another shot this weekend?

I loved Abyss but I would still be in for a "gaf plays" replay

MrDaravon

kiryogi said:
So saw an interesting memo @ Gamestop. Apparently, they'll only have the LE available online. So amazon or gamestop.com folks! For americans anyway.

Yeah, after my previous post where several people online had success (and posted pics of receipts) of pre-ordering it in-store under "Vesperia CE," I went to Gamestop today and it wasn't in there under either listing. I'm glad I kept my amazon order, I have a feeling this is going to be a MGS 3 Subsistence-type fuckup for people. I'd cancel in-store orders and order it online ASAP. I also saw it listed on Play-asia, and I've read people who said it's up on buy.com as well.

I just started Abyss recently and am only about 10 or so hours in, so I would be in for a playthrough. I also loved Symphonia, but I just never got around to Abyss for some reason, and just popped it in recently to try to play through it before Vesperia comes out.

Edit: Yeah, I just confirmed with a friend who works at GS in California saying the store email today said it's online only in the US (didn't specify apparently about Canada, which is where my friend got it yesterday). I have a feeling the Vesperia CE listing wasn't supposed to be used, I wouldn't count on them honoring those in-store. Some guy on gamefaqs said his store called him about it since he'd gotten in with the Vesperia CE pre-order and told him he'd need to move it, but then again it's gamefaqs.

Firestorm

I know Canada acts fairly independantly from Gamestop USA so I think we should be fine. First of all, we can't even order games online... None of the exclusives in the States have held in Canada either. MGS4 LE was available at all stores. Chibi Robo DS was available at all stores.

MrDaravon

Firestorm said:
I know Canada acts fairly independantly from Gamestop USA so I think we should be fine. First of all, we can't even order games online... None of the exclusives in the States have held in Canada either. MGS4 LE was available at all stores. Chibi Robo DS was available at all stores.

I'm not sure why the MGS4 LE wouldn't have been available? The Chibi Robo DS thing was a Walmart US exclusive deal, so that one makes sense.

Are any GS employees able to confirm if they gave a # estimate in the email? I've seen several people say that the email states it will be extremely limited, and it actually gives a # like 400 or something, which would be insane (I think that the MGS3 LE was like 500-600 in-stores).

Brandon F said:

That's the boss encounter from the demo. Yuri is using over limit which allows you to spam buttons and continuously deal damage and rack up your combo, but you can chain it with normal attacks, WS moves, and links. That demo part is about 5 or so hours into the game, and that's not even really one of the tougher boss battles I've seen yet.

The dungeons are really just Point A to Point B, and the puzzles are very light. Yeah, you can push blocks and light switches, but don't think it is anything like Zelda - they're more obstructions than part of a complex puzzle of anything. Though there are many chests you might miss that are a bit out of the way which hold good equipment.

The story is really on the light side for where I am at, but it is more more character driven at this point rather than focusing on an overarching plot (again, where I am at). The characters are very typical anime types, but there is never a time when any of them are too overly dramatic (ie, like Final Fantasy characters).

I am really digging the visuals and the locales. There are a few instances in the game where anime cutscenes transpire (and there obviously is going to be an OVA of this game like Symphonia and Phantasia had) and they're really well done. A great sequence was returning to a specific village you helped out earlier in a certain way and seeing the change of atmosphere in the entire town.

The English dub is fine, but I don't really like Estelle's VA. Yuri, Rita and Karol are pretty well done, though.

For some reason, I feel like the majority of my time is watching cutscenes and running around villages or the map. When in dungeons so far, they feel short, but there are quite a few of them so far, and after just finishing Final Fantasy XII two nights ago, I welcome the change of pace (Pharos Tower was ridiculous).

I like how with each new weapon you obtain, you can learn new skills and then retain those skills once you've mastered them, even when you change weapons. Also before entering a battle, I like that one item Yuri gets that allows him manipulate the start of battle conditions (having the advantage or disadvantage, basically).

Challenge on Normal is fair so far, with only two boss battles really giving me trouble (though to be fair, I played the demo and knew how to handle that boss, and he is unchanged in the final version).

Anyway, I think I've said enough. I'm definitely enjoying Vesperia much more than Dawn of the New World.

Firestorm

Since unlike some people I still can't play this, I made a short video for Tales Brigade:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dof4Yfvb9yA

SailorDaravon said:
I'm not sure why the MGS4 LE wouldn't have been available? The Chibi Robo DS thing was a Walmart US exclusive deal, so that one makes sense.

Are any GS employees able to confirm if they gave a # estimate in the email? I've seen several people say that the email states it will be extremely limited, and it actually gives a # like 400 or something, which would be insane (I think that the MGS3 LE was like 500-600 in-stores).
MGS4 LE was a GS exclusive in the US iirc.

Mejilan said:

Just started playing it yesterday, so i'd be in ^ ^

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Dammit, fuck that shit with the online only for the Vesperia LE. Now I can't use my employee discount. =(

Firestorm

hidepsyence said:
Wow, never heard about it, sounds cool, here's hoping that it will be better than the Symphonia one (didn't like it at all) : D
Symphonia and Phantasia had really crappy OVAs as they were like 4 episodes each. This is a full featured series so I'm hoping it's better.

The OVAs weren't that bad. The problem with both was the fact they were only 4 episodes long each. Symphonia cut off before finishing, and Phantasia only focused on key events. The best anime derived from a gaming series, however, is still Arc the Lad. Not only does it follow Arc the Lad and Arc the Lad II relatively well and is a full series, but due to the nature of the original titles (being on PS1 with limited technology), seeing the fleshed out stories and animation felt more meaningful.

FYI, the anime starts basically with Arc the Lad II (Elk's story), though it does have crossover points into Arc the Lad.

Now, if it is manga...several gaming series have awesome manga adaptations derived from the games...

Anyway, I would like to see an anime adaptation of Vesperia.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I didn't think the actual quality of the Symphonia OVA was bad, it just took some really strange liberties and it was too short.

Also, that Abyss anime looks fantastic so far. Here's to hoping they bring it stateside!

FSLink

Banned
TSA said:
The OVAs weren't that bad. The problem with both was the fact they were only 4 episodes long each. Symphonia cut off before finishing, and Phantasia only focused on key events.
Well Symphonia still has another 4 episodes to go on Tethe'alla. >_>
I felt they covered the majority of the Sylvarant stuff...though I'm not sure how they're going to cover Tethe'alla,
Spoilers? trying to combine the worlds, Derris Kharlan, Mithos,
without rushing it too bad. >_>

Can "Tales-fans-who-liked-Abyss-but-want-to-get-into-another-playthrough" types such as myself join in as well?

And can anyone comment on the personality of the characters?
Interested in Yuri and Estelle mostly. Especially Estelle since from the demo she seemed a bit Collete-like, and although I'm one of the few who liked Colette, I really wouldn't want to see another(...Shirley) clone of her.

Top Bottom