• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

Rpgmonkey

Firestorm said:
As in a 1.5 hour movie, 4 episode OVA, or 26 episode series? I really really hope it's series... Abyss is awesome. Symphonia and Phantasia both blew. Didn't watch Eternia.

Going to be an actual film in theaters it seems.

Sounds really uninteresting if it's supposed to follow the original plot.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Firestorm said:
With Manual you can control your movement . With Semi-Auto you just attack and the game positions you itself. It's just about how much control you want.

Woah now, that's deceptive. You make it sound like you don't have any control over your movement in Semi-Auto.

In Semi-Auto you can still move your character however the heck you want. It's just that whenever you press the attack button in Semi-Auto, the game will automatically move your character into position. So if you have it set on manual and you hit attack, you'll stay wherever you are and attack. But on Semi-Auto, the character will run towards the selected enemy, then attack. But you can still move your character anywhere in Semi-Auto as long as you aren't attacking at the same time.

Sagitario

Wiiii! Got the flying ship! Sidequests time! :D

The story got a little better, but that's not saying much really [for me]...

I've been grinding like crazy because of the damn skills attached to weapons, some of them need way too much LP... I'm overpowered now :( ...

Note: I've almost 50 hours on the clock and just got Ba'ul... :p

Firestorm

ZealousD said:
Woah now, that's deceptive. You make it sound like you don't have any control over your movement in Semi-Auto.

In Semi-Auto you can still move your character however the heck you want. It's just that whenever you press the attack button in Semi-Auto, the game will automatically move your character into position. So if you have it set on manual and you hit attack, you'll stay wherever you are and attack. But on Semi-Auto, the character will run towards the selected enemy, then attack. But you can still move your character anywhere in Semi-Auto as long as you aren't attacking at the same time.
That's a better explanation, yes.

Rpgmonkey said:

Maybe it'll be like a sequel or prequel? Or maybe a multi-part movie?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Rpgmonkey said:

Damn I was hoping for another anime series like what they are doing with Tales of the Abyss right now.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Thanks for the advice. I definitely plan on only one playthrough so I'll be sure to follow Firestorm's guide.

ZealousD said:
Don't sell your weapons. After you max out on their attached skills you'll want to keep them for synthesis items.
That's great can't-fail advice... however, you CAN sell weapons once you've qualified that you'll have no further use for them AS synthesis bait or skill advancement. So if you're playing with the Collector's Book Completion Guide (as opposed to a FAQ that will spoil storyline/gameplay details), you can get away with it.

I sell my unneeded weapons if only to keep my inventory tidy, although in the earlygoing it helped plenty in the Gald department as well. (Speaking of which, synth some Sephiras and equip them to all your active party members as soon as you're able.)

Rpgmonkey

Firestorm said:
Maybe it'll be like a sequel or prequel? Or maybe a multi-part movie?

Someone suggested one movie per Act of the game, which might work, if drawing out the whole plot a tad with the gaps between movies.

rykomatsu

RetroGamer42 said:
Also, screw Yeager and his secret Mission. I can't get it for the life of me.

Use Yuri
Trigger overlimit lvl 4
Spam your standard attack until Yeager blocks
Once he starts blocking, spam Destruction Field 6 times (might have been 5)
This will guard break Yeager.

Quickly switch to Raven, fire off Rain (make sure you don't have the Crucible skill enabled or else you might get Rainsong instead)

Make sure you have your chars set to defend and have them maintain distance, though you may want to have Raven set to hit and run...if Raven's too far, it won't work sometimes.

Not too difficult imho.

S. L.

yay finished vesperia.
best next gen rpg out there and also one of the finest rpgs that isn't called Persona 4 in recent times.

also Judith <3 - aerial combos are the best

RetroMG

rykomatsu said:
Use Yuri
Trigger overlimit lvl 4
Spam your standard attack until Yeager blocks
Once he starts blocking, spam Destruction Field 6 times (might have been 5)
This will guard break Yeager.

Quickly switch to Raven, fire off Rain (make sure you don't have the Crucible skill enabled or else you might get Rainsong instead)

Make sure you have your chars set to defend and have them maintain distance, though you may want to have Raven set to hit and run...if Raven's too far, it won't work sometimes.

Not too difficult imho.

Got it. Thanks for the advice. What finally worked is setting everyone to "Keep Distance," and making sure Yuri was between Yeager and Raven when he did the Destruction Fields.

For some reason, I had a heck of a time with the next one, too, but I eventually got it.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Came back to the game... after over a month doing nothing. So I faced
Alexei and he gave me a beating. Goddammit
. BTW, how do I increase overlimit levels?

Relix said:
Came back to the game... after over a month doing nothing. So I faced
Alexei and he gave me a beating. Goddammit
. BTW, how do I increase overlimit levels?
Synth the key items. I forget what they're called, but they're pretty obvious when you see them.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
RocketDarkness said:
Synth the key items. I forget what they're called, but they're pretty obvious when you see them.

Thanks. Ill check after I grind some more and face the bastard.

RetroMG

RocketDarkness said:

Let's see, I think Judith gives you the Limit Duo, so the other two are Limit Trio and Limit Quatro, I think.

matmanx1

Just finished ToV about 30 minutes ago. I ended up just a tick over 70 hours having done some of the side quests but by no means all of them. I just want to say I thoroughly enjoyed myself in ToV and it really came out of nowhere for me after having not been on my radar at all last year. It was an impulse buy (between ToV and Infinite Undiscovery as they came out within a few days of each other) and it paid off big time.

I've been working on it pretty steadily the last few weeks after having put it down over the holidays and it feels good to finally reach the end. It was consistently fun and gorgeous throughout and the ending credits made me smile and laugh. And yes, the battle system is (IMO) the best action RPG battle system in a Tales game and ranks up there with the best I've ever seen. It's easily the star of the show for ToV but by no means the only strong point. Thanks alot Tales team for a great gaming experience!

I just started this game and am enjoying it so far. However, Im about 4-5 hours in at emede hill (?) and for some reason the game doesn't want to let whichever character is in "slot 2" do anything. I went back to a previous save (about an hour back), and everything works fine. I thought maybe my battle strategies weren't set right, but I checked and they were at "full assault" or whatever and the character's in slots 3 and 4 work just fine. I tried turning on another controller to see if that would let me control player two and it actually did. So it looks as if the game things Im in co-op mode even when there is only one controller connected (and this is confirmed by the fact only 1 of the green lights surrounding the power button on the 360 is on). Has anyone else encountered this and knows how to fix it?

Firestorm

Working_Stiff said:
I just started this game and am enjoying it so far. However, Im about 4-5 hours in at emede hill (?) and for some reason the game doesn't want to let whichever character is in "slot 2" do anything. I went back to a previous save (about an hour back), and everything works fine. I thought maybe my battle strategies weren't set right, but I checked and they were at "full assault" or whatever and the character's in slots 3 and 4 work just fine. I tried turning on another controller to see if that would let me control player two and it actually did. So it looks as if the game things Im in co-op mode even when there is only one controller connected (and this is confirmed by the fact only 1 of the green lights surrounding the power button on the 360 is on). Has anyone else encountered this and knows how to fix it?
You have Player 2 set to "Manual". Go to either the Artes menu or Status menu... I think it's Artes. You'll see "Auto - Semi Auto - Manual" in the upper left or right hand corner. Switch the character to Manual. Your instruction booklet will probably have how to switch it too.

Firestorm said:
You have Player 2 set to "Manual". Go to either the Artes menu or Status menu... I think it's Artes. You'll see "Auto - Semi Auto - Manual" in the upper left or right hand corner. Switch the character to Manual. Your instruction booklet will probably have how to switch it too.

Yup, that fixed it. Thanks.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
So I have an assload of questions, some kinda noobish:

I beat Alexei already, starting the Adephagos thing now

1. Burst Artes? I Haven't executed one ever and I have no idea how. I saw the CPU do it after I allowed Judith to do an OL and she did it. I have no idea on how to execute them.

2. Arcante Artes? Base Artes? I am still confused by this.

3. SP points. I know weapons let you gain certain skills, but do they stay permanently? I know they should, but for example a character learns Backstep, if I switch weapons I cannot execute that skill again. Do I need to do something else or is this how the game was made?

4. Additional overlimits: No clue on how to get these.

5. Switch characters mid fight. Say I am using Yuri and want to use Repede instead. Possible? I ask because a friend told me after I beat *that* guy I can go back to Zaude and face the twins. They were there, but I cannot defeat them. Supposedly I need to steal an item from one of them with Repede and it will lead to a kick ass Raven bow. By the way, they are strong as heck, so can I continue with the story, get stronger, and return in a while to this place and then face them?

6. Best place to grind at the point I am on? I am between level 49-48, but some enemies (ahem, the twins) gave me trouble.

7. Also, whats the function of titles?

I feel like a noob all of a sudden :lol

Relix said:
So I have an assload of questions, some kinda noobish:

I beat Alexei already, starting the Adephagos thing now

1. Burst Artes? I Haven't executed one ever and I have no idea how. I saw the CPU do it after I allowed Judith to do an OL and she did it. I have no idea on how to execute them.

3. SP points. I know weapons let you gain certain skills, but do they stay permanently? I know they should, but for example a character learns Backstep, if I switch weapons I cannot execute that skill again. Do I need to do something else or is this how the game was made?

5. Switch characters mid fight. Say I am using Yuri and want to use Repede instead. Possible? I ask because a friend told me after I beat *that* guy I can go back to Zaude and face the twins. They were there, but I cannot defeat them. Supposedly I need to steal an item from one of them with Repede and it will lead to a kick ass Raven bow. By the way, they are strong as heck, so can I continue with the story, get stronger, and return in a while to this place and then face them?

6. Best place to grind at the point I am on? I am between level 49-48, but some enemies (ahem, the twins) gave me trouble.

I feel like a noob all of a sudden :lol
1. You perform Burst Artes by being in overlimit, performing any arte above the base or novice level (look at the arte description, it'll say if it's base/novice/altered/arcane), and then holding down the arte button.

3. Go to your menu screen, then go to the skills section. You have a certain amount of SP that you can use to equip a skill once it's learned completely from the weapon, regardless of whether or not the weapon is equipped. Please tell me you haven't made it 2/3 through the game without equipping skills. XD

4. You'll get the second one from Judith, and the others you synth at the synthy people. They're under the "Key Items" tab.

5. There's an item that you can synth that'll let you press start to swap between characters (might have to have the menu up to do it, not sure). Then you can swap. You can also assign other party member's abilities to your right analog stick.

7. Titles, for the most part, are just for your amusement. Some give your character alternate costumes, though.

Sagitario

Relix said:

When you're are in overlimit, if you perform an Arcane or Altered arte, a special attack will trigger if you hold the arte button: the Burst arte.

Those are special attacks. You chain/link them to perform combos.
Base: basic and least powerful. They are used to start a combo after a basic 3 hit attack.
Arcane: more powerful than a Base. Can be linked after performing a Base arte, so you could make: 3 normal hits -> Base arte -> Arcane arte.
Additionally, there are Altered artes, which are Base or Arcane artes that change when you equip certain skills. After you perform an Altered arte for 100 times [50 for spells], you learn it and can do it without having the skill activated and without performing the "father" arte.
There are skills that let you chain Base, Arcane and Altered artes to perform bigger/cooler/better/etc. combos...
Burst artes can also be altered with certain skills...

The higher the level, the more SP you have, which let you equip more skills. Once you learn a skill, you can use it without having the weapon equipped [and can't be forgotten]. In the main menu, there's a Skill section [like the Artes, Equipment, Item, Cooking, Status, etc.], you can activate and deactivate them there. If you unequipped a weapon with the Backstep skill, you have to activate it in the Skills menu if you want to keep on using it. As long as it ON, you'll be able to perform it.

You synth them under the Key Items section in the Synthesis option on any store.
Judith gives you the the Limit Duo, which you need to synth the Limit Trio, etc.
Activate them with the D-pad: right = 1, down = 2, left = 3, up = 4.

You synth [under the Key Items section in the Synthesis option on any store] the item that lets you switch characters. During a battle, press Y then START to switch. If you don't have the items necessary to synth [doubtful], you can always use a shortcut for the Repede's thief attack.

Outside of the Gattuso fight, the game has been kind of easy.
I'd recommend to lower the difficulty setting just for that fight before starting any grinding.

In this Tales, nothing... with the exception of the ones that change your characters appearance [costume's tittles]

rykomatsu

RetroGamer42 said:
Let's see, I think Judith gives you the Limit Duo, so the other two are Limit Trio and Limit Quatro, I think.

not quite...i believe it was in a treasure chest inside the tower near the room Yuri/Judith start out in after being taken prisoner (either floor above or floor below....need to use the sorceror ring to access the floor after upgrading the ring to lvl 2)

Farore said:
In this Tales, nothing... with the exception of the ones that change your characters appearance [costume's tittles]

There's an NPC inside the Don's compound in Dungarest who's part of the rabbit guild. Progression of the subevent that's triggered by the NPC requires you to obtain titles to move the subevent forward. Doesn't affect the main story line at all.

edit: also, some titles are prerequisites for other titles/costumes as well. regardless, none of them affect the main game

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Aaah thanks for replying.

Yeah, I did 2/3 of the games without equipping skills or knowing most of this stuff :lol Same shit always happens to me on JRPGs (I am a Tales "veteran" =P). I got to the end of Lost Odyssey and just then I figured what the hell SP points did. Made the game harder than it should have been.

I asked the Titles since I remember some, like Synphonia, gave specific stats boost and was wondering if they did the same this time around.

Thanks for the replies, will definitely help me beat the last third of the game easily :lol

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Wow I totally missed the key items bit. I got all the ones I could. I am reading a sidequest FAQ, and I am about to do this:

- Head to Dahngrest and then go to the Union Headquarters for a scene.
Afterwards head to the Fortune's Market building in Capua Torim and
speak with Kaufman.

This is to get a title for Raven and other stuff. Yet... Kaufman is never there. Do I need to do something before this????

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Redd said:
I feel like such a noob. I didn't notice that Yeager was
Regaey spelled backwards
:lol

I missed this too.
Mind = Blown :lol

rykomatsu

Relix said:
Wow I totally missed the key items bit. I got all the ones I could. I am reading a sidequest FAQ, and I am about to do this:

- Head to Dahngrest and then go to the Union Headquarters for a scene.
Afterwards head to the Fortune's Market building in Capua Torim and
speak with Kaufman.

This is to get a title for Raven and other stuff. Yet... Kaufman is never there. Do I need to do something before this????

this might be a timed subevent that you can no longer get or another subevent might be triggered that may be taking priority over this and thus kaufman will not appear until another subevent (potentially completely unrelated) is completed. I missed this one as well :/

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
rykomatsu said:
this might be a timed subevent that you can no longer get or another subevent might be triggered that may be taking priority over this and thus kaufman will not appear until another subevent (potentially completely unrelated) is completed. I missed this one as well :/

Aaah crap =/

I am still wondering how the HELL did Bandai cram in hours of voices, HD videos, and the whole game in one DVD... or in fact, 6.0GBs if the installation is correct. Holy shit.

Llyranor

If you have any people you can play local co-op with, definitely give it a try. Co-op in this game is great.

Slow playthrough, but I'm about 20ish hrs in now. Just
formed my guild
. Still loving the game.

MoogPaul

I keep getting smoked by the true final boss
(Duke's Third Form)
. I eventually run out of life bottles and treats. I'm level 70ish. Had 'em down to 2k but he pulled off his less than 100,000hp final limit and made me sad.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
MoogPaul said:
(Duke's Third Form)
. I eventually run out of life bottles and treats. I'm level 70ish. Had 'em down to 2k but he pulled off his less than 100,000hp final limit and made me sad.

Best lineup for this fight is Yuri, Estelle, Rita, and Raven.

Raven can help heal and his whirlwind attack thingie can really help with your offense. Melee attacks actually are not that effective against him unless you're chaining a huge combo, which is why you should still put in Yuri. Make sure you turn off every one of Estelle's offensive spells so she can't be a stupid bitch, and turn off all but Rita's strongest spells.

Make sure you stock up on EVERY kind of gel as well. Stocking up on all the stuff that you can earn gambling really helps.

rykomatsu

MoogPaul said:
(Duke's Third Form)

Estelle + Risky Ring + Support Eternal
Spam Force Field until one or more of your party members has permanent invulnerability
I'm sure you know what to do from here :p

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Got
All the spirits. Gonna go do some sidequest, especifically the Fell Arms one.
. I also executed my first ever Mystic Arte with Yuri and it felt awesome :lol

Anyway, I am 35 hours in, my party is between levels 56-55... how much do I have left and is my level "fine" for the place where I am on the storyline?

MotherFan

Relix said:
Got
All the spirits. Gonna go do some sidequest, especifically the Fell Arms one.
. I also executed my first ever Mystic Arte with Yuri and it felt awesome :lol

Anyway, I am 35 hours in, my party is between levels 56-55... how much do I have left and is my level "fine" for the place where I am on the storyline?

Ya, your levels are fine.
You are starting to get close to the end. My levels when I beat the final form of the final boss were about 65.

As for the problems being had on the final form of the final boss, make sure you have all the gels you can hold. Have full miracle, treats, specific, orange, apple, lemon, etc. I also had someone with item pro 2 and throw item. My team was Yuri, Rita, Estelle, Repede. Make sure Estelle has Nightengale, this really helps out alot.

Firestorm

Do NOT do the fell arms quest before finishing the game. I was about the same level as you are now when I got to the last boss. But yeah... Do not get all the fell arms yet.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Firestorm said:
Do NOT do the fell arms quest before finishing the game. I was about the same level as you are now when I got to the last boss. But yeah... Do not get all the fell arms yet.

Just asking, but why I shouldn't? Just wondering :lol I like to do filler crap before beating the final boss. Guess I am well leveled, which would be a first for any JRPG I've ever played :lol

Sagitario

Firestorm said:

Why?

I already got spoiled and I know who is the final boss :( ...

52 hours in the clock, my party is around level 50 and I just finished the Heracles dungeon...

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
crowphoenix said:
It gives the final boss an extremely difficult extra form.

Oh shit, really? Screw that then...

Also, what's up with me being only 35 hours in and being level 56? Example... Farore has 52 hours, and is still at Heracles, while I am 35 hours in, level 56 and practically at the end of the game. I've also done my fair share of sidequests and some minor grinding, also taken on some Giganto. I don't like to rush my games but I feel I am going somewhat too fast :lol

rykomatsu

Relix said:
Oh shit, really? Screw that then...l

if you're going to be doing no more than 2 run throughs, you'll want to get them now and carry the items over into your next pass...if you're going for 3 or more, then you could wait it out until after the second pass

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
rykomatsu said:
if you're going to be doing no more than 2 run throughs, you'll want to get them now and carry the items over into your next pass...if you're going for 3 or more, then you could wait it out until after the second pass

So wait, I was reading a Fell Arms guide thing, and if I understood correctly, I can get the 7 swords but not active an event with some guy and then HE won't get his last form. Or I can get at least 6 and be done with it :lol

rykomatsu

Relix said:
So wait, I was reading a Fell Arms guide thing, and if I understood correctly, I can get the 7 swords but not active an event with some guy and then HE won't get his last form. Or I can get at least 6 and be done with it :lol

I think if you don't talk to Flynn after collecting all 7, it won't be flagged for activation. The weapons themselves aren't that great unless triggered by the event, though.

Go up a few posts of mine and there's a way to finish this rather easily under some spoilers...slightly cheesy but can be done simply at low levels :p makes it easier to get the accomplishment for it too :p

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
rykomatsu said:
I think if you don't talk to Flynn after collecting all 7, it won't be flagged for activation. The weapons themselves aren't that great unless triggered by the event, though.

Go up a few posts of mine and there's a way to finish this rather easily under some spoilers...slightly cheesy but can be done simply at low levels :p makes it easier to get the accomplishment for it too :p

I'll just get like 5... I don't wanna risk ruining my chances of beating the game thanks to a a freaking sidequest :lol

And na, I only do one playthrough of JRPGs. Heck, I hyave been playing Vesperia since it launched and still haven't beat it :lol

Edit: Actually no, I purchased the game back in October, launch was August =P

Sagitario

Relix said:
Oh shit, really? Screw that then...

Also, what's up with me being only 35 hours in and being level 56? Example... Farore has 52 hours, and is still at Heracles, while I am 35 hours in, level 56 and practically at the end of the game. I've also done my fair share of sidequests and some minor grinding, also taken on some Giganto. I don't like to rush my games but I feel I am going somewhat too fast :lol

I've done A LOT of exploration, sidequests and skills grinding...

Q: Fell Arms = weapons? Like the cursed weapons of ToS and TotA?
Can you carry them over to the next playthrough? Because IIRC, you can't do that in ToS/TotA [only gels, bottles, synthesis stuff, etc.]...

Top Bottom