• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

Sagitario

I finally got the materials to synthesize the Winged Boots and OMG! They are a godsend... why weren't available from the start? :p

Well, I'm liking the characters and the skits are good [not on DotNW level though] but I'm not 'feeling' them, meaning, I'm not that interested on knowing their background or their future...

For example, Yuri... he's cool and all, but I don't see the big fuss everybody have over him [except when he killed the
Nor Harbor's magistrate
:p]...

The story has not been that interesting either, I'm not hooked... even though I COULD care less about it...

Heck, I don't even know what was the message that Estelle was trying to give Flynn at the beginning...

Hopefully, now that I'm after a big legendary talking bird, things become more epic...

I usually don't care that much for videogame stories and I don't even discuss about them, but I wanted to get that out of my chest...

Battles on the other side, I'm really really enjoying them now :D [which is what I care the most] ...

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Farore said:
Hopefully, now that I'm after a big legendary talking bird, things become more epic...

You've played Tales games before right? Eventually there's a point where it falls upon the party to save the world right?

Sagitario

Yes, which is why I'm guessing this is the starting point for that and hoping things become epic enough for me to start caring about what's really going on and "save the world"...

S. L.

uhm so i encountered a weird bug..

i am at the point where estelle is kidnapped and raven supposedly dead. I was exploring the world a bit and went to Mantaic. stayed at the inn and triggered a night sequence with Yuri talking to some ninja-ish guy that he learned some move from earlier. next morning estelle and raven are in my normal party. :lol can i keep playing like that without the game fucking up later on or should i reload an older save.

Firestorm

Farore said:
I finally got the materials to synthesize the Winged Boots and OMG! They are a godsend... why weren't available from the start? :p

Well, I'm liking the characters and the skits are good [not on DotNW level though] but I'm not 'feeling' them, meaning, I'm not that interested on knowing their background or their future...

For example, Yuri... he's cool and all, but I don't see the big fuss everybody have over him [except when he killed the
Nor Harbor's magistrate
:p]...

The story has not been that interesting either, I'm not hooked... even though I COULD care less about it...

Heck, I don't even know what was the message that Estelle was trying to give Flynn at the beginning...

I usually don't care that much for videogame stories and I don't even discuss about them, but I wanted to get that out of my chest...

Battles on the other side, I'm really really enjoying them now :D [which is what I care the most] ...
They never actually tell you. Or if they did, I missed it.

ZealousD

What's the deal with the hot springs sidequest? I already did the 300,000 gald scene but the receptionist won't let me pay for the 600,000? She just keeps welcoming me to the spring?

_Xenon_

Banned
ZealousD said:
What's the deal with the hot springs sidequest? I already did the 300,000 gald scene but the receptionist won't let me pay for the 600,000? She just keeps welcoming me to the spring?
You need to sleep at the other towns' inn for a couple of times before paying the 600K one. In the phase 3 of this sidequest you will get a title and a costume for everyone except the dog.

Darackutny

GAF, is there any chance of this thing being ported over to the PS3? I've been waiting for an announcement for a while now and I've just about given up hope on that.

Any reason I should keep my hopes up?

ZealousD

Darackutny said:
GAF, is there any chance of this thing being ported over to the PS3? I've been waiting for an announcement for a while now and I've just about given up hope on that.

Any reason? No, no reason. But you could keep wishing I guess.

Darackutny said:

Seems unlikely at the moment but it's not impossible.

Jiggy said:
Sad to say, if Namco actually did make a ToV for PS3 at some point in the future, I'd have to buy it just on principle--and I probably wouldn't even get a PS3 to go with it. :p
why not just buy two versions for the 360 then?

do you have the collectors or regular?

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Darackutny said:
How long was Eternal Sonata an "exclusive" before Namco announced a port?

6 months or something i think? Well then you have the insane time it took them to release it. GL with a vesperia PS3 port.

mileS

Just started playing this again. Anyone remember when you first get to that cliff and you're looking out towards the ocean? Such a fantastic looking game... Love the simple/super clean art style.

I hope we see more RPG's on 360/PS3 with these kind of graphics.

KurowaSan

map_europe.jpg

:,(

Jiggy

PseudoKirby said:
why not just buy two versions for the 360 then?

do you have the collectors or regular?
I'd be buying to support the idea of making awesome games available to larger audiences. :p

And only the regular. :( I was way late to the party on this game.

Firestorm

Jiggy said:
I'd be buying to support the idea of making awesome games available to larger audiences. :p

And only the regular. :( I was way late to the party on this game.
SE is still available through HubbaGames on Amazon Marketplace.

ZealousD

Man, fuck Duke's third form. And fuck his sometimes uninterruptible healing circle too!

RetroMG

I'm in my third run through. Man, my wife and I love this game so much. This time we're using a sidequest walkthrough to make sure we don't miss any of the sidequests, and keeping Repede in the party so we can tell which Monsters we need to Magic Lens. After that I'll probably do at least one or two more partial runs to do the Low time/Low level achievements.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
RetroGamer42 said:
I'm in my third run through. Man, my wife and I love this game so much. This time we're using a sidequest walkthrough to make sure we don't miss any of the sidequests, and keeping Repede in the party so we can tell which Monsters we need to Magic Lens. After that I'll probably do at least one or two more partial runs to do the Low time/Low level achievements.

Same here I just need a few more achievements and I will finally 1000/1000 this game :D .

Firestorm said:
SE is still available through HubbaGames on Amazon Marketplace.

wha wha retailers stopped selling the SE version?

ooh this makes me interested to see how rare my sealed special edition will be...

Firestorm

PseudoKirby said:
wha wha retailers stopped selling the SE version?

ooh this makes me interested to see how rare my sealed special edition will be...
I don't know of any retailer with the SE left... I mean, EB Games in Canada only ever got the pre-orders in afaik. None of the other retailers here even carried it. I heard rumours that Best Buy and Blockbuster stopped receiving shipments of even the regular edition already. I know that the SE was going for $100 on eBay Canada a while ago.

I have a sealed copy too that I'm keeping on hand for now =P

Also, if people are a part of Tales Brigade, remember that it closes on the 4th. Vol2 of the Soundtrack is 25,000 Gald and requires 700 grade. If you have that I'd pick it up as that's the lowest priced item left.

Enron

Banned
Fry's in ATL has plenty of the LEs left. Or at least they did the last time I was there. Maybe this is true at all Fry's, I dunno.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Finally beat this game, overall really awesome apart from having a ton of missables, and a fairly 'meh' final battle/ending. This game could have, like most Tales games, done with a bit of editing and cut-back content. But overall, yeah it was fuck-awesome and better than 99.9% of the rest of the 360 library.

ZealousD

So I finally beat Vesperia today, after around 60 of play. I didn't try to max out anything but I did more side quests than I usually do for a Tales game on the first playthrough. I think I finished with 740 achievement points.

One of the things I really liked about Vesperia is that it's a more "balanced" game than either Symphonia or Abyss. Symphonia had great overall design for an RPG but the story and characters could have been better, while Abyss had a great story and characters but it had some odd pacing and design issues. Vesperia successfully balances the two. It doesn't have a better story and characters than Abyss and its just shy of Symphonia's pacing and design, but it still exceeds very well in both counts enough that I think when combined with the gameplay advances, it's better than either one.

Fantastic game, and it really makes me sad that this series doesn't get more respect from reviewers and the mainstream.

It's also a bit nice that the game isn't about racism! Instead.... global warming!?

TheWolf

Banned
Just
killed Balius or whatever.

Loving it so far. Wish I had time to play during the week cause I can tell it's going to take awhile to complete this.

rykomatsu

need some help with a Judith subevent...i tried using a walkthrough for this but for some reason I can't seem to complete it. Playing off the JPN version so names might be slightly off...

Trying to get Judith's lost spear...

I did the time limited blastia naming sub-events with Rita (Rita's home and at one of the mountain passes...right after the dog and paralyzing flower boss fight) and also went around the various locales to try to find the spear...

-Jail cell in the tower
-Caufman's office
-Dungarest item shop

I ran around the blastia in the middle of Ornion (town where Yuri fights Flynn) with Rita as the party top with there's no action option popping up and staying at the inn isn't triggering any events...

i'm pretty sure I did Judith's Blastia heirloom subevent that's also a prior requirement of this as i went through about 10hrs worth of savefiles to try trigger the event at Mantike (desert town) with no luck...

am I missing something?

thanks in advance...

edit: nm..figured it out...
was Estelle's Blastia heirloom, but not sure if that was an actual requirement...had to finish Rita's...i think Negative Gate(?) subevent first in Ornion before Judith's spear event could be triggered

Wizpig said:
From an Italian website:

[ IMG]http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/584/immagine1ko1.png[ /IMG]

Meh.
Second half of 2009 is good enough for me. There are enough games I still have to finish. Vesperia in Europe is good news, be it 2009, 2010 or even 2011 :)

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I just got this (my first "Tales of" game). Before I begin, what do I need to know? Any settings I need to tinker with? Do I need to have a FAQ with instructions for hidden items/quests/etc. to get the most out of the experience and get all of the permanently missable stuff? Or should I just start playing normally?

ZealousD

Chairman Yang said:
I just got this (my first "Tales of" game). Before I begin, what do I need to know? Any settings I need to tinker with? Do I need to have a FAQ with instructions for hidden items/quests/etc. to get the most out of the experience and get all of the permanently missable stuff? Or should I just start playing normally?

If you're a sidequest or achievement junky, you most certainly should consult a FAQ. There are a fair number of missable items and sidequests. Even if you revisit every town and dungeon after every major plot point there's a chance you'll miss some stuff. I heard the official guide was a bit rubbish but there's a couple guides on GameFAQs that are pretty good. You really don't need to do the sidequests but some of them can be pretty helpful, like the ones where you learn artes, the Fell Arms sidequest will really help if you decide you want to replay the game again.

Don't sell your weapons. After you max out on their attached skills you'll want to keep them for synthesis items.

The game is loooooong. Without doing too many sidequests, it's already a 50-60 hour game. I'm sure trying to get 100% on it is closer to 80 hours or more.

The battle system is actually a bit complicated, so if you have any questions about certain mechanics feel free to ask us.

Rpgmonkey

Wizpig said:
From an Italian website:

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/584/immagine1ko1.png[IMG]

Meh.[/QUOTE]

Man what a wait. You can almost tell a European localization was a last-minute decision and not in line with the NA/JPN release plan, or something.

Better than not getting it at all like a lot of the English Tales releases though.

I bet they're going to place it right next to one of the biggest games of 2009 too.

Chairman Yang said:
Go with Manual control if you can. (I don't know if it's unlocked right away. I haven't played Vesperia yet.)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Mr. Wonderful said:
Go with Manual control if you can. (I don't know if it's unlocked right away. I haven't played Vesperia yet.)

It is, but it's defaulted on semi-atuo iirc.

Nose Master

I can not finish this game for the life of me. I'm 40ish hours in and just want it to end. I enjoyed it for the most part, but it's just getting too god damn long for me to care anymore. Every month or so I'll pick it up and play for 2 hours, groan when someone else gets kidnapped, and not touch it again for months.

KurowaSan

so that 26 June 2009 date from play.com may not be that off after all... Let's say it will be released on that date, falls into that 'second half of year'; 10 months, Namco, ten months... SquareEnix style in their PS2 days.
God knows I couldn't care any less, and this is coming from someone who's first language is not English, but I sure hope it's gonna be translated into multiple languages, I mean, those 10 months were surely spent doing something, right?

RetroMG

Mr. Wonderful said:

Really? Why Manual? I usually just stick to Semi-Auto, or Auto if I'm doing mindless grinding.

Also, screw Yeager and his secret Mission. I can't get it for the life of me.

RetroGamer42 said:
Really? Why Manual? I usually just stick to Semi-Auto, or Auto if I'm doing mindless grinding.

For grinding, I would understand, but it makes the battles less button-mashy.

Firestorm

Chairman Yang said:
It's near impossible to grab everything on your first playthrough. Remember that with New Game+ and Grade Grinding you can carry over almost everything to your next playthrough. I'd say just follow the spoiler-free secret mission guide on the first post of the topic (and listen to my two notes there as they're important things you'll want to do if you're not doing another playthrough).

Rpgmonkey said:
Man what a wait. You can almost tell a European localization was a last-minute decision and not in line with the NA/JPN release plan, or something.

Better than not getting it at all like a lot of the English Tales releases though.

I bet they're going to place it right next to one of the biggest games of 2009 too.
Abyss coming out the same month as Final Fantasy XII is one of the stupidest decisions I've seen by any company with regards to release dates.

Cedille said:
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/moonphase/20090209

Gates money?

The animated film of Vesperia is coming.
As in a 1.5 hour movie, 4 episode OVA, or 26 episode series? I really really hope it's series... Abyss is awesome. Symphonia and Phantasia both blew. Didn't watch Eternia.

RetroGamer42 said:

With Manual you can control your movement . With Semi-Auto you just attack and the game positions you itself. It's just about how much control you want.

Top Bottom